Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2013, 11:58   #1
BHPian

NEET exam declared invalid by the Supreme Court

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/sc-quashe.../407514-3.html

I dont know how many medicos are there on the forum.But id invite comment from everyone who is aware of the exchange of money in medical college admissions.

This is a big disappointment as NEET had started the process towards transparency and merit based admissions.

This decision has come on the last day of office of the somewhat controversial justice Kabir. It is a split decision.

http://www.barandbench.com/comment/42768#.UeeFgtIwr9w

The above link suggests widespread knowledge of the judgement in legal circles before the verdict was actually announced.
Old 18th July 2013, 12:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: NEET exam declared invalid by the Supreme Court

Total mess created by the administration. The MCI should have taken the parliament route and created an amendment to the MCI constitution before going ahead. NEET was declared invalid only on a technicality by the Supreme court. Shoddy approach as usual by the bureaucracy
Old 18th July 2013, 12:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: NEET exam declared invalid by the Supreme Court

I didn't give NEET, but what happens to others who got PGs through NEET?
Old 18th July 2013, 12:38   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
I didn't give NEET, but what happens to others who got PGs through NEET?
Let the details come out.But NEET was made voluntary this year so those admissions will stand.

The government had dissolved the previous MCI for being corrupt.This new body was mandated to clean up the medical education field in the country.NEET was opposed by a couple of states and all private colleges.

The SC has thrown the ball in the governments court.To make legislative changes if they want NEET.

They have struck down a constitutional body on the basis of a legal technicality.

With a lot of political money invested in these private colleges, i doubt well see any reform in the near future.

A single standard exam is the obvious solution to the problem. This is a classic case of ' the law being used against justice'
Old 19th July 2013, 20:22   #5
BHPian

Re: NEET exam declared invalid by the Supreme Court

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Let the details come out.But NEET was made voluntary this year so those admissions will stand.

The government had dissolved the previous MCI for being corrupt.This new body was mandated to clean up the medical education field in the country.NEET was opposed by a couple of states and all private colleges.

The SC has thrown the ball in the governments court.To make legislative changes if they want NEET.

They have struck down a constitutional body on the basis of a legal technicality.

With a lot of political money invested in these private colleges, i doubt well see any reform in the near future.

A single standard exam is the obvious solution to the problem. This is a classic case of ' the law being used against justice'
I agree drsingh. This was the closest and neatest approach to bring in transparency in the admissions of the medical field. In fact this year was the first year when so much information regarding the medical seats availability, eligibility across India was available to all at one point. No 'Bhag-doud'. And frankly, the test and the subsequent results were executed in a manner which I never imagined from a govt institution and that too in first attempt. Good for the kids who have given it this time but really bad for the kids who again will have to follow the murky world of medical seats and admissions from next year onwards. I'm sure the private collage lobby has made this dubious turn possible. As you mentioned, the reforms will also be a distant dream since the politicos are the ones not wanting to bring in transparency in this field.
Old 19th July 2013, 23:32   #6
BHPian

So much confusion regarding NEET, rural posting etc. Glad to have got past that stage. :-)
From an examinee's perspective, I would have preferred to give two exams rather than just one. Study so much and then have a one off bad day at the exam hall and its all over for another year. If there are two exams (state pg exam and all india one), chances of cracking at least one of them is better. Just my view though.
Old 20th July 2013, 00:34   #7
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
This decision has come on the last day of office of the somewhat controversial justice Kabir. It is a split decision.
Heard Government is filing a Review Petition! Nothing much happens in a Review Petition, maybe it needs a larger bench to hear this again.
Regarding Justice Kabir he was notorious for coming late & also the way he handled the Sahara-SEBI matters!
Old 22nd July 2013, 12:34   #8
BHPian

Don't really know what will happen now for the medical admissions. Even the 1st Aug date for the admission list seems to be shaky considering the PILs being filed by individuals. Now it seems someone has filed the PIL to get the lists redone based on the regions. Funny we can actually play around with matters as important as this. Kudos to the politicians and the private medical collage lobbies.

Most Viewed