Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2016, 10:16   #4261
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Today morning right after I got up, I measured it.

Weight: 86kg (all the ramzaan food I've been eating last week)
Fat: 33%
Visceral Fat: 17%
Body Age: 61 (Whoa..)
Resting metabolism: 1795
BMI: 29

Now that I am back in Manipal, I can watch what I eat. No iftar food available here.

Last edited by Samurai : 21st June 2016 at 10:17.
Old 21st June 2016, 10:48   #4262
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Today morning right after I got up, I measured it.

Weight: 86kg (all the ramzaan food I've been eating last week)
Fat: 33%
Visceral Fat: 17%
Body Age: 61 (Whoa..)
Resting metabolism: 1795
BMI: 29

Now that I am back in Manipal, I can watch what I eat. No iftar food available here.
Your fat % is way too high. Reduce that and the numbers will start looking better. Good you have bought the device though, now you can quantify any efforts you put in. Last year I had a muscular spasm in neck area. Had to visit an orthopedic doctor and do the physiotherapist exercises for couple of weeks. For 2 weeks didn't go to office and next 1 month left office at 4pm. Along with that I ate only home food and did the neck exercises and evening walks for 30-45min and in the process lost like 9kg which is huge considering I was 73Kg at the start. The biggest problem for me is sustaining good habits. I am back to my old ways now, but trying to improve.

Last edited by mxh : 21st June 2016 at 10:49.
Old 21st June 2016, 11:17   #4263
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
Your fat % is way too high. Reduce that and the numbers will start looking better.
This is where I get confused. Is this fat% high for a normal person, or a very muscular person (which I am)?

The resting metabolism calculator says my RM should be 1720, but mine is 1795. I have higher RM, does it mean good or bad?

The BMI figure for 29 is meaningless for a muscular person, that I am going to ignore. But I don't know how to interpret rest of the numbers for a muscular person.
Old 21st June 2016, 11:33   #4264
BHPian

Quote:
This is where I get confused. Is this fat% high for a normal person, or a very muscular person (which I am)?

The resting metabolism calculator says my RM should be 1720, but mine is 1795. I have higher RM, does it mean good or bad?

The BMI figure for 29 is meaningless for a muscular person, that I am going to ignore. But I don't know how to interpret rest of the numbers for a muscular person.
In case of a person with prominent and visible musculature the BMI figure won't truly reflection the person's health. However, even a muscular persons can have very high body fat, eg., powerlifters in free weight category, hence very high BMI and he should be concerned about it.

But body fat percentage is fairly an accurate measure and more than the fats that we see, the one's that we don't see are alarming. 33% is way too high.

Last edited by Piyadassi : 21st June 2016 at 11:52.
Old 21st June 2016, 11:41   #4265
mxh
BHPian

Quote:

Fat % would be low for muscular people. Take a look at this table from Wikipedia as reference:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_fat_percentage
Description
Women Men Essential fat 10–13% 2–5% Athletes 14–20% 6–13% Fitness 21–24% 14–17% Average 25–31% 18–24% Obese 32%+ 25%+
Have you configured all the parameters in the device properly? Since you say you're muscular, your fat % makes no sense, maybe try double checking with another device?
Old 21st June 2016, 12:03   #4266
Team-BHP Support

Anyway, I am not alarmed, just puzzled. I go by how I feel, done it all my life. I feel energetic, active, and fit. Can obese people do this?
Old 21st June 2016, 12:06   #4267
Senior - BHPian

What is "body age" that you mentioned? Is that just age or is that something else?

If you're 61 - you look super young for your age!
Old 21st June 2016, 12:36   #4268
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
If you're 61 - you look super young for your age!
No, I am 47, the Omran machine says body age is 61.

Anyway, I'll slowly increase the intensity of workout for a while and see what happens. Now that I don't have access to iftar food, my diet will improve too.
Old 21st June 2016, 13:21   #4269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
What exactly is the fat percentage from a medical point of view? What does it signify? Does it refer to the accumulated fat deposits in muscles?
Body fat includes all three:
1. Intra muscle fat: Have you seen beef / mutton? Sometimes you will see marbled pattern. That is the fat within muscles. Typically whitish color.
2. Subcutaneous fat: The fat that is immediately below our skin. If you can pinch and pull your skin up you have low subcutaneous fat (eg most can pinch and pull the skin on their hand/feet/finger). If you cannot pinch your skin - it has large subcutaneous fat. Typically whitish color.
3. Visceral fat: The fat that is typically stored on organs like heart, liver, kidneys, pancreas, intestines etc. Typically yellowish color.

The distribution of these three is determined by one's genes. Visceral fat is the most "dangerous" since correlataion has been found with diabetes, heart disease, cardio vasculat health etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I guess YMMV big time with these things.
Nice comparison pic.
Barring the photos of 10% and below (which are steroid physiques) it gives a good idea about the look vs the usual body fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
And this is me from back when I was 37% (well according to Omron anyway)
APPLAUSE! You must've had real dedication to reduce so much ...

Quote:
The BMI figure for 29 is meaningless for a muscular person
Even for a heavy muscled person with very thick bones, barrel chest, square face, squat neck, broad shoulder and thick torso - the BMI will not exceed 25 if the body fat is <10-12%.

A higher BMI figure (say >25) with lower body fat ( say <10%) can only happen if the person is on very high dosage of steroids.
Old 21st June 2016, 15:17   #4270
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Even for a heavy muscled person with very thick bones, barrel chest, square face, squat neck, broad shoulder and thick torso - the BMI will not exceed 25 if the body fat is <10-12%.
My BMI has been above 25 for the last 20 years. So what is the negative effect of >25 BMI?

Also, can you answer the chinup question I asked here?

I prefer to believe Smart BMI. It even considers age and diet. According to that, my BMI is somewhat elevated.

It says:
Quote:
This calculation is based on the newly developed Smart Body Mass Index (SBMI). Its ideal range is between 30/70 and 40/70.
Your SBMI is 41/70 or "41 points out of 70".

http://www.smartbmicalculator.com/re...ua=47&gl=&di=0

See the difference between a 20 year old and 47 year old, with the same BMI. Read the last paragraph.

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-chrome-legacy-window-6212016-30358-pm.bmp.jpgBodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-chrome-legacy-window-6212016-30459-pm.bmp.jpg

Frankly, my stable weight goal is 80Kg, at which my BMI will still be 27.6, but it is a good place to be. See the SBMI report if I am 80Kgs.

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-chrome-legacy-window-6212016-31347-pm.bmp.jpg
Old 21st June 2016, 15:24   #4271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It depends on how you squat.
Hi,

I am not a body builder by any stretch of the imagination, but do workout regularly using light weights. I am 40 years old and weigh 68 kgs. When I squat, my right knee makes a popping noise when I break parallel. This happens irrespective of the weight on the bar, width of my stance, how much my toes are pointed outward etc. Is this something to be worried about, if not now, then in the long run? If yes, what can I do to prevent it?

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 21st June 2016 at 15:25.
Old 21st June 2016, 20:51   #4272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Hi,

I am not a body builder by any stretch of the imagination, but do workout regularly using light weights. I am 40 years old and weigh 68 kgs. When I squat, my right knee makes a popping noise when I break parallel. This happens irrespective of the weight on the bar, width of my stance, how much my toes are pointed outward etc. Is this something to be worried about, if not now, then in the long run? If yes, what can I do to prevent it?

Cheers,
Vikram
Does your knee pain while you hear the popping sound? If there is no pain you need not be worried it is basically gap between bones that are caused due to CO2 closing hence you hear a popping sound. It is similar to Knuckles popping when you twist/bend your fingers. If there is a pain or a grinding noise please consult your doc.
Old 21st June 2016, 21:41   #4273
Senior - BHPian

Any reviews about the supplement - Unived? It costs Rs. 4500 for a pack!
Old 21st June 2016, 22:52   #4274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Does your knee pain while you hear the popping sound? If there is no pain you need not be worried it is basically gap between bones that are caused due to CO2 closing hence you hear a popping sound. It is similar to Knuckles popping when you twist/bend your fingers. If there is a pain or a grinding noise please consult your doc.
Nope, no pain or grinding noises. I tried varying the speed at which I go down, but it didn't seem to make any difference

Anyway, won't worry about it now. Thanks!
Old 21st June 2016, 23:16   #4275
Senior - BHPian

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
APPLAUSE! You must've had real dedication to reduce so much ...

Thanks! I'm trying to figure out how far I can go to get fully lean. Problem is, the midsection fat seems to be so dense I have a feeling it will take a year or more to see any progress there. I'm just going to keep at it and see how it goes.

Right now I'm just eating at maintenance though. "Metabolism recovery" is the fancy excuse I'm giving myself, but it's really just me satisfying my food cravings for some time. I have a week in Hawaii coming up in the first week of July, I plan to eat at maintenance (or even a bit over that) until then and then hit it hard again from mid-July.

Most Viewed