Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2009, 00:15   #1501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post

Apart from being useful in developing connective tissue like ligaments and tendons, it can also be used for strengthening various weak parts of your overall squat or press.

A good example is when doing a squat the weakest position for one is when we are closest to the floor - the max weight we can lift in this this weakest position decides what weight we take then in our full squat. Now imagine just training this weakest position in a partial rep and making it stronger and you would slowly start lifting more overall weight in your full squats too .
Apply this principle to any other exercise like bench presses and you can achieve similar results and improvements.
So partial reps in the top or bottom range of any movement are not only useful for connective tissue but also for increasing your poundages in full range movements.

Ofcourse don't go ballistic and tear your pecs
I still can't quite get my head around how ligaments and tendons get stronger using excessive poundage and partial reps. No offense meant, just a doubt.
Old 16th May 2009, 00:31   #1502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by godog View Post
I still can't quite get my head around how ligaments and tendons get stronger using excessive poundage and partial reps. No offense meant, just a doubt.
Well to a large extent it should be clear after reading this article
Bodybuilding.com - David Robson - Tendon & Ligament Training For Greater Gains!
and this one to a lesser extent Bodybuilding.com - Nick Nilsson - Partial Rep Training For Full-Powered Results!

Here's a quote which should give some insight
Quote:
To develop great power, and consequently muscle size, it is important to specialize with exercises that stress the major muscle groups such as the thighs, chest, back and shoulders. Squats, bench press, dead-lifts, bent rowing and barbell shoulder presses are obvious examples of compound exercise that stress these muscle groups.
However, to develop strength in the tendons and ligaments, which will lead to increased strength in subsequent work-outs and ultimately greater muscle gains, the idea is to execute these movements over a shorter range of motion.
The short range movements will allow more weight to be lifted and a greater emphasis will be placed on tendons and ligaments rather than the muscle bellies.
But I would strongly suggest you read the above two links.
Where I am confused (and which is why i posted here) is whether short range movements (mentioned in link 1) are the same as partial reps (mentioned in link 2)

Last edited by jassi : 16th May 2009 at 00:32.
Old 16th May 2009, 02:07   #1503
BHPian

I've been a reading a lot on this connective tissue stuff and finally can make sense of things. Here is another great article on the advantages of partial rep workouts for connective tissue development
Lockout Partial Bench Press For Strengthening Connective Tissue - By Nick Nilsson - Staley Training Systems
Also its quite clear that muscle growth often outpaces tendon and ligament strengthening as muscles adapt sooner to weights. You then hit a plateau as your connective tissue will not allow further progress. Partial rep training with really heavy weights forces blood through the connective tissue by really loading them, the muscle gets hit only when you do very high number of partial reps.
It is also recommended to not do too many partial rep workouts in succession as your connective tissue cannot recover that soon - also keep partial rep and full rep workouts for the same muscle seperate (preferably every alternate workout for the same muscle).
Lastly recommended to take a lot more vitamin c and glucosamine n chondroitin sulphate capsules (and maybe MSM) when you are doing connective tissue workouts, else the connective tissue is most likely going to not recover well enough!!

A related question - where can i get glucosamine and chondroitin sulphate capsules in bangy. I picked up two bottles of those in 2005 on a singapore air flight and I clearly remember that year was the time when my joints were healthiest and I could always push a lot more in gym due to that!!

Last edited by jassi : 16th May 2009 at 02:09.
Old 16th May 2009, 17:34   #1504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
Lastly recommended to take a lot more vitamin c and glucosamine n chondroitin sulphate capsules (and maybe MSM) when you are doing connective tissue workouts, else the connective tissue is most likely going to not recover well enough!!

A related question - where can i get glucosamine and chondroitin sulphate capsules in bangy.
GSM-Glucosamine-Chondritin does not work for everyone. For whom it does, it's almost magical. Looks like you're one of the lucky guys.

You can get these at any medical store (not sure about the name of the tab), as they're made here too. For higher strength, you'll have to ask someone to pick 'em up from abroad. I've used the ones made by NOW but didn't benefit much. Passed them on to a friend who had an ACL tear.
Old 16th May 2009, 18:56   #1505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
GSM-Glucosamine-Chondritin does not work for everyone. For whom it does, it's almost magical. Looks like you're one of the lucky guys.

You can get these at any medical store (not sure about the name of the tab), as they're made here too. For higher strength, you'll have to ask someone to pick 'em up from abroad. I've used the ones made by NOW but didn't benefit much. Passed them on to a friend who had an ACL tear.
As it is not a drug but regarded as a supplement by the FDA, it is recommended to use a known brand like Cosamin DS by Nutramax or Dona by Rotta Pharma. These are the only two that I have heard really work for most people. The problem is, I don't have any international travel coming up and if I order a 2-3 month supply from amazon it costs me 110usd (40usd shipping!!!)

Also the human body produces glucosamin and chondroitin naturally, however for those involved in sports, bodybuilding/powerlifting (connective tissue development is a must), this supplement has shown protective effects. So from a results point of view, you will see lesser injuries and if you do some connective tissue workouts, this supplement will be used for repair/growth of the connective tissue (whey protein does not help for ligament/tendon growth). And stronger connective tissue means more heavier weights in your regular muscle workouts
Old 16th May 2009, 19:27   #1506
BHPian

here is a good article on glucomasine and chondroitin sulphate and its benefits
Bodybuilding.com - Daniel Gastelu - Glucosamine & Chondroitin Sulfate Are For Athletes Young & Old!
Old 16th May 2009, 19:36   #1507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Some excellent exercises for motorcycle riders

All About Balance - Motorcycle Cruiser Magazine
Super thanks , will need them .
Old 17th May 2009, 00:19   #1508
Senior - BHPian

Guys, does anyone of you have any experience with Snap fitness, Indiranagar, Bangalore? I am planning to join there want wanted some reliable review. You can also suggest some good gyms in the indiranagar, CV Raman Nagar area :-)
Thanks
Old 17th May 2009, 00:28   #1509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Guys, does anyone of you have any experience with Snap fitness, Indiranagar, Bangalore? I am planning to join there want wanted some reliable review. You can also suggest some good gyms in the indiranagar, CV Raman Nagar area :-)
Thanks
And you have already tried fitness one and talwalkars in indra nagar?
Old 17th May 2009, 01:59   #1510
Senior - BHPian

Read a lot of negative reviews about talwalkars, so didn't even consider.
Not tried fitness one, planning to check it out as well.
Old 17th May 2009, 10:46   #1511
BHPian

Guys, I am guessing most people out here are on multivitamins. I was planning to start on one, but have never tried before. Which brand do ya'll use? Do i need a prescription for it?
I was looking at ultivit and it seems it offers a few things 2-5 times the recommended daily value - is that ok or will it cause side effects - in which case should i take the multivit once in 2 days ?
Here is the ultivit nutritional info from santegra pharma site
Santegra Product Supplement

I am specifically interested in vitamin c, due to its collagen building properties in our connective tissue as well as vitamin D, as I don't get enough of that (indoors mostly)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Read a lot of negative reviews about talwalkars, so didn't even consider.
Not tried fitness one, planning to check it out as well.
I worked out at talwalkars behind mg road for around a year and had absolutely no issues - the equipment was good, the instructors were good when i needed them (rarely to create a variation in workout)

Last edited by jassi : 17th May 2009 at 10:47.
Old 18th May 2009, 14:22   #1512
BHPian

great question. I need some advice on multi vitamin's as well. Lot of professional body builders pop multiple pills in a day. I can't do that and would rather have just one pill a day which should give me the necessary dosage.

I believe there is one marketed by Amway but no idea about it's potency.

Which is the best multi-vitamin in India to buy?
Old 18th May 2009, 20:36   #1513
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalpipraiya View Post
I believe there is one marketed by Amway but no idea about it's potency.
Stay away from Amway and other such pyramid schemes and products.
Old 18th May 2009, 21:41   #1514
Senior - BHPian

If you want to save money on multivitamins bottle just take Becosules capsules twice a day. Very good one and very cheap as well. I don't remember the bottle price but the 'patta' comes for 17 bucks with 16 capsules.

Still if anyone wants to take it the Animal Pak is quiet famous and available in India as well.
I know a couple more but cant recall the names right now.
Supplement update-
Iso Sensation 93 5lbs tub- 4250
Superpump250(gaspari nutrition)- 2500
Both have been sourced from Alfa in Mumbai.

Will not take them right now as already have some stuff going so will give the user review as and when i take them.

@jassi- Those articles are really good, thanks.

@ Vikram- Still waiting for the PM reply

Last edited by harry10 : 18th May 2009 at 21:45.
Old 18th May 2009, 22:08   #1515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lot of professional body builders pop multiple pills in a day.
There is a method to this madness. They split up the required doses of their vitamins for better absorption purpose. A 'mega dose' will simply be pissed out. Hence they take staggered doses.

Quote:
I can't do that and would rather have just one pill a day which should give me the necessary dosage.
Necessary dosage again is debatable. Wont get into that now.

"Revital" should be available at any chemist, its an ok formula.

Most Viewed