Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2009, 13:15   #1741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Forget weights for now. Don't start doing bicep and tricep curls for atleast 2 months.
Why not? I guess you meant 2 weeks and not 2 months.

Quote:
Squats. Start with a set of 25, and atleast 3-5 sets a day. Your goal will be to do atleast 100 squats in a single set without stopping.
Again I disagree. Why stick to just squats? 100 squats if not done properly would lead to knee injury and nothing else.

Srikant I suggest you start with jogging and do pushups and crunches along with squats. In the beginning, do not try to overtrain. Take it slow.

Also, as far as weight training is concerned, you should start them only under proper supervision. Improper posture/method would lead to injury.

- Jag
Old 22nd July 2009, 13:53   #1742
Senior - BHPian

@Pranav- nice stack.
@Godog- so did you bought the superpump, if you did hows the experience?
Old 22nd July 2009, 14:01   #1743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Why not? I guess you meant 2 weeks and not 2 months.
I did mean 2 months. If I were his trainer, I wouldn't let him do isolation exercises for 6 months. Isolating the smallest and most useless muscles of your body is an absolute waste of time until the bigger muscles are strong enough. For those, you need to do compound exercises which will automatically exercise your arms. Isolation exercises will not help you lose any noticeable amount of weight. If you just want big guns on a fat puny body, go ahead by all means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Again I disagree. Why stick to just squats? 100 squats if not done properly would lead to knee injury and nothing else.

Srikant I suggest you start with jogging and do pushups and crunches along with squats. In the beginning, do not try to overtrain. Take it slow.

Also, as far as weight training is concerned, you should start them only under proper supervision. Improper posture/method would lead to injury.

- Jag
Squats, if done properly and sincerely, will encourage growth of the whole body. Guess which muscles are the biggest in your body? Guess which muscles will burn the most amount of fat when at rest? The injury thing can be said about any exercise possible, with jogging, pushups and crunches too.

A person's time is better spent doing squats than crunches.
Old 22nd July 2009, 14:47   #1744
BHPian

^^ very much agree with pranav here
compund movements are much better than isolation. It is very important to develop the basic structure, before you get into isolating one muscle at a time. Once the body is strong enough, body weight exercises should be attempted and lastly isolations.
Some compound movements which workout mutiple muscles are - bench presses and push-ups, clean and press (best exercise for most of the muscles in body), a** to the grass squats.
Also the longest muscles are in the leg (the band which extends from hip to knee). And working out leg muscles releases growth hormone naturally, which is beneficial for the whole body
Old 22nd July 2009, 15:03   #1745
Team-BHP Support

Agree on the leg part. There are so many guys at the gym with stick thin legs and huge arms. I think these are called chicken legs. I sometimes wonder if their legs will break while they do biceps with 15kgs in huge hands.
There is this one guy who does very heavy weights and has big arms. I do not have big arms, yet my arm is thicker than his leg.
Old 22nd July 2009, 15:10   #1746
BHPian

the muscle in the leg known for releasing growth hormone is ITB (illotibial band). Do enough squats or sissy squats and you will puke, which could be caused by growth hormone release. I think this was even mentioned in the arnold encyclopedia (both releases)
Old 22nd July 2009, 15:20   #1747
Senior - BHPian

Consider doing swimming. Been doing for two months, and its helping cut down the flab a bit at a time
Old 22nd July 2009, 19:15   #1748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did mean 2 months. If I were his trainer, I wouldn't let him do isolation exercises for 6 months. Isolating the smallest and most useless muscles of your body is an absolute waste of time until the bigger muscles are strong enough. For those, you need to do compound exercises which will automatically exercise your arms. Isolation exercises will not help you lose any noticeable amount of weight. If you just want big guns on a fat puny body, go ahead by all means.

Squats, if done properly and sincerely, will encourage growth of the whole body. Guess which muscles are the biggest in your body? Guess which muscles will burn the most amount of fat when at rest? The injury thing can be said about any exercise possible, with jogging, pushups and crunches too.

A person's time is better spent doing squats than crunches.
I never said he should get into isolation exercises right away. What I understood from your first post was that he shouldn't touch weights for 2 months. Your second post is more comprehensive.

Regarding injury, my point is that if you continuously strain a joint, the possibility of injury of that joint is comparatively high. Imagine the strain on one's knees if he attempts 100 squats. Remember we are talking about a person new to body building here.

Even if we keep injury out of the picture, how long do you think the interest levels would sustain. We all talk about variation in our routine don't we? How can you incorporate variation if you do just squats?

I never denied that squats are good, but I still disagree with your suggestion of doing only squats

- Jag

Last edited by Jaguar : 22nd July 2009 at 19:22.
Old 23rd July 2009, 08:05   #1749
Senior - BHPian

Should i take protein supplement even if i dont make it to the gym ?
Old 23rd July 2009, 09:03   #1750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
Should i take protein supplement even if i dont make it to the gym ?
Do you mean on your 'off' days from the gym??

Then by all means yes. It is on your rest days that protien intake is very very important.

If your not a 'gymmer' and dont exert yourself physically on a daily basis (tennis, squash, swimming) then a Whey Protein supplement is not advisable.
Old 23rd July 2009, 10:20   #1751
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I'll be starting with weighted pushups soon. Does anyone know where I can get a good weighted vest (preferably in Hyd.)?
Old 23rd July 2009, 10:58   #1752
BHPian

Quote:
Look what I bought today!
How much did the ON fish gels cost you?
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:06   #1753
Senior - BHPian

Getting back to shape...

Hi folks,

I was one health conscious guy who slowly lost the track and has become a car in junk yard

Anyways i started to workout when i was around 15, gyming was my passion then, but it used to drain me out..

later started to learn/practice yoga, did like it but dint stick to it long...

Last i started to run, used to run for about 3-4kms but since now i have got lil bigger i dont think runnings is a good option..

Now that i want to get back to shape, i have few options..

Marshal arts, have heard its good for body and mind but not sure if i can find a good teacher(around airpot road...Marthali, Indiranagar)..

Yoga... i know its benefits but it takes a long time not very keen on this.

Cycling, need to pick a good cycle and start off..

of all these options am keen on the first one, please suggest..
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:18   #1754
BHPian

1st and the most important option is not there... Lothi. Where is the diet??? are you planning to diet or no or just relying on these other options.
Old 23rd July 2009, 12:07   #1755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Do you mean on your 'off' days from the gym??

Then by all means yes. It is on your rest days that protien intake is very very important.

If your not a 'gymmer' and dont exert yourself physically on a daily basis (tennis, squash, swimming) then a Whey Protein supplement is not advisable.
I go to the gym everyday. I have off days only for weights (once a week) i still do cardio though.

My question was do i take protein even on days that i dont go to the gym (inevitably it happens like twice a month).
Also do i need to take protein when i am on vacation ? (no gym say for a week)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks