Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2009, 17:19   #1816
BHPian

I wanted to point out one more thing, if you are vegetarian then its a good idea to use nutrela soy granules in your vegetables to provide the much needed protein. I eat veggies with Nutrela and it keeps me full longer.
Old 29th July 2009, 17:30   #1817
Senior - BHPian

Nutrella tastes like you-know-what. Paneer is much better.
Old 29th July 2009, 17:41   #1818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
It takes on the taste of the food its added to, dont put a whole lot.
Old 29th July 2009, 20:35   #1819
BHPian

^^ i was reading this whole soya thing somewhere - and read that it triggers estrogen release vs other proteins which trigger testosterone release. So soya although a good protein supplement, should not be your only source for higher protein intake if you want to gain muscle mass!

PS - don't come after me, i just read it somewhere :-) maybe google will help those embarking on a high soya diet.
Old 29th July 2009, 20:48   #1820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
^^ i was reading this whole soya thing somewhere - and read that it triggers estrogen release vs other proteins which trigger testosterone release. So soya although a good protein supplement, should not be your only source for higher protein intake if you want to gain muscle mass!

PS - don't come after me, i just read it somewhere :-) maybe google will help those embarking on a high soya diet.
i tried eating soya for sometime many months back but gave up as the taste was
So paneer is for me
Old 29th July 2009, 21:28   #1821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
So paneer is for me
paneer is good but for the fat content. I am quite ok with the taste of soya (in soya tomato sabji).
now i remember - i read the soya releasing estrogen thing on bb.com
Old 29th July 2009, 21:53   #1822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
paneer is good but for the fat content. I am quite ok with the taste of soya (in soya tomato sabji).
now i remember - i read the soya releasing estrogen thing on bb.com
Yup but atleast i can eat it happily
Reminds me to check bb.com after many days.
Old 29th July 2009, 22:02   #1823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargirl View Post
Dunno about dates specifically, but all nuts/ dry fruits are supposed to have the "good" fat. I have no clue why someone would eat it before workout. I think it's maybe one of those nonsensical things some trainers/ dieticians like to recommend?

Any clue, anyone? Vikram, perhaps you could enlighten us. :-)

Quote:
Thanks Vikram.
I was actually confused reading somewhere its a weight gainer and then checking the ingredients. Thats why we have experts here
One little death threat and see your stars shine
you're indispensible, Vikram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
I wanted to point out one more thing, if you are vegetarian then its a good idea to use nutrela soy granules in your vegetables to provide the much needed protein. I eat veggies with Nutrela and it keeps me full longer.
Without worrying about the estrogen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
You know the taste of youknowwhat??

Quote:
AH! You beat me to it...

Quote:
So paneer is for me
youknowwhat? nevermind
Old 29th July 2009, 22:31   #1824
BHPian

Are you sure about the estrogen part? Damn this is starting to scare me !!!
Old 30th July 2009, 00:00   #1825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
Are you sure about the estrogen part? Damn this is starting to scare me !!!
spawn - just google for 'soya estrogen' and you will see posts on man-boobs that is too exaggerated, but yes its true that soya contains some phyto-estrogens which cause estrogenic effects if taken in excess. Infact soya is being tested as an alternate therapy for breast cancer, so yeah take care of your pectoral muscles if you have been going too high on soya
Old 30th July 2009, 10:25   #1826
BHPian

Quote:
spawn - just google for 'soya estrogen' and you will see posts on man-boobs that is too exaggerated, but yes its true that soya contains some phyto-estrogens which cause estrogenic effects if taken in excess. Infact soya is being tested as an alternate therapy for breast cancer, so yeah take care of your pectoral muscles if you have been going too high on soya
Oh now it makes sense as to why I have been lactating....just kidding.

I looked up soy protein and wikipedia says that the test that was carried out was inconclusive. I have been eating soy protein with veggies only for a month now and that too few times a week, looks like I will hgave to cut down just to be safe.

A recent study by Goodin et al. found that 56g of soy protein powder per day caused serum testosterone to fall 4% in four weeks in a test group of twelve healthy males. (Please note that there was an error in the abstract that said 19%, and this figure was erroneously reported by the media. If you read the article, you will see that it reports 4% and not 19%. Please see the following Web site for a more complete analysis of this study and the error in its abstract: Soy what? Refuting the claims of a recent study on soy protein | Flex | Find Articles at BNET.) According to the study, this data supports further studies of these hormonal effects as a mechanism in prostate cancer prevention. [19] However, a study conducted by the Miami Research Associates refutes the finding of the Goodin study, finding that soy protein had no significant impact on testosterone levels in healthy males. [20] In fact, only one participant in the Goodin study actually saw a drop in testosterone. The participant in question had testosterone levels 200% higher than all of the other subjects, and during the study, his levels dropped to bring him in line with the other participants. The Goodin study did not conclusively suggest that the participant's erratic testosterone levels were related to the soy protein.

SOURCE: Soy protein - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 30th July 2009, 12:18   #1827
BHPian

Quote:
So paneer is for me
Though I'm an eggetarian, I cannot imagine myself eating soya! That's one taste I DON'T wanna develop! I eat paneer too. And drink plain warm milk. As for the fat content, you can make paneer at home with cow's milk. Peanuts are high in protein as well, though I think they have the good fat. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by godog View Post
One little death threat and see your stars shine
you're indispensible, Vikram.
Vikram's a rockstar. And it's not just coz of one little death threat. He's more like a lifeline for some of us. Absolutely indispensable. :-)

Quote:
This is the first time I've heard of such a thing- and hopefully the last! I think the guys who were advocating soya just a few posts above are perhaps having a re-think? LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Circle View Post
Dates are easily digestible and will provide quick energy since it is rich in carbs and it has naturally occuring sugars such as fructose, glucose and sucrose which will quickly increase the sugar level in the body which is good before you start the workout and it does not contain fats as many of us think it does.
Thanks, Red. This also means that dates should be avoided at night, I guess?

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th July 2009 at 13:00. Reason: back to back posts, please EDIT the original post after its approved, if you want to add. thanks
Old 30th July 2009, 15:32   #1828
BHPian

Soy is not recommended for MEN.
In USA, since FDA is Pharma Giants Bunny, they make laws at their own will.
Problem with Soy is not limited to revving up estrogen levels, but it decreases Testosterone levels, which we men don't want at any cost.
Old 31st July 2009, 03:40   #1829
Senior - BHPian

So I switched gyms today. Used to work out at Talwalkar's near my home. For some completely retarded reason, they decided to do away with barbells completely. Now everyone who wants to do any form of bench presses has to use a single smith machine with the corresponding bench. That smith machine has to be shared with people who want to do shoulder workouts or squats. The benches, by the way, had been given away to another gym and one completely useless "fat" bench was kept, which completely messed up everyone's form and caused an injury to a member within 2 days. Repeated complaints didn't help much, just a couple of changes which were equally useless.

So now, the Malad (W) branch of Talwalkar's has a weights section on the ground floor which consists of machines primarily and dumbbells, a cardio section consisting of different types of trainers and treadmills, and a first floor consisting of.....wait for it...... machines which follow the exact same motion of the ones on the ground floor. Retards.

Joined Gold's gym today and first day's tomorrow. Let's see how this goes. The gym looks much better and much more fun...
Old 31st July 2009, 09:09   #1830
BHPian

@pranavt - enjoy gold's gym, let us know the membership experience. I have been a talkwalkars member in the past, but didn't expect such stupidity from them, maybe some cost cutting measure!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks