Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2009, 15:44   #2131
BHPian

I am planning to cut out milk from my daily diet, as I tend to bloat everytime after drinking it. I can get my
protein from other sources, but what about calcium and other nutrients contained in it? Which natural foods
should I eat to compensate for it?

I do take dahi with my lunch and dinner but not sure if it contains all the goodness of milk.

Thanks!

Last edited by NK@Hyd : 28th October 2009 at 15:47. Reason: added a line
Old 28th October 2009, 16:13   #2132
Team-BHP Support

Dahi also has goodness of milk as far as calcium is concerned.
Apart from that green leafy vegetables also have calcium, and ditto for chicken cartilage
Old 28th October 2009, 16:23   #2133
Team-BHP Support

What milk do you drink?

There was a news article the other day in DC (Hyderabad) that milk packets have a lot of additives in them. These are added for either quantity or quality needs. Its possible that you are having a problem with them and not milk per se.

I like the Nestle Toned Milk Tetra packs. You don't even need to boil it and it tastes good. Taste however is an individuals choice.

List of Calcium rich foods
Calcium Rich Foods

Quote:
Yogurt, plain
Yogurt, fruit
Milk, low fat or nonfat
Milk, whole
Cheese, including American, ricotta, cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese
Milk shakes
Eggnog

Quote:
Nondairy Foods with Calcium
Salmon
Tofu
Rhubarb
Sardines
Collard greens
Spinach
Turnip greens
Okra
White beans
Baked beans
Broccoli
Peas
Brussel sprouts
Sesame seeds
Bok choy
Almonds
Old 28th October 2009, 22:47   #2134
BHPian

Hi BBlost,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
What milk do you drink?
I take Heritage-Toned.

Quote:
There was a news article the other day in DC (Hyderabad) that milk packets have a lot of additives in them. These are added for either quantity or quality needs. Its possible that you are having a problem with them and not milk per se.
Could be, but I have read at multiple places that milk is notorious for causing bloating. Of course, some people are more lactose tolerant.

Thanks for providing info on foods containing calcium.
Old 28th October 2009, 22:53   #2135
BHPian

Milk is an important source of vitamin B12 - especially if you are a vegetarian. You can compensate with eggs and non-veg.
Old 28th October 2009, 23:50   #2136
BHPian

mode of consumption

hi, is there any harm/less-effectiveness if the protein powder is consumed directly instead of mixing it in water/milk.
i would prefer to 'eat' it and drink enough water rather than mixing it in water/milk and all jhanjhat. will that do?
Old 28th October 2009, 23:55   #2137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
hi, is there any harm/less-effectiveness if the protein powder is consumed directly instead of mixing it in water/milk.
i would prefer to 'eat' it and drink enough water rather than mixing it in water/milk and all jhanjhat. will that do?
anything concentrated needs to be diluted - but I have seen people sprinkle whey on their morning milk-cereal
Old 29th October 2009, 00:05   #2138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
anything concentrated needs to be diluted - but I have seen people sprinkle whey on their morning milk-cereal
hey Jassi good evening :-).
i was asking because if the powder gets in 'contact' with saliva first and will that hamper the absorption of protein. i remember reading somewhere that saliva too does its bit in food digestion apart from just lubricating.
Old 29th October 2009, 00:16   #2139
BHPian

Quote:
hey Jassi good evening :-).
i was asking because if the powder gets in 'contact' with saliva first and will that hamper the absorption of protein. i remember reading somewhere that saliva too does its bit in food digestion apart from just lubricating.
afaik (and someone may know better) salivary amylase is useful in alkaline food absorption not acidic. Part of the digestion especially quickly absorbed alkaline foods like fruit sugars happen in the mouth itself with saliva. Protein is acidic in nature and retards the action of saliva - the only thing in the protein powder that can be digested partially by saliva is the sugars, however the presence of whey will make the mixture acidic and post that not much is happening in your mouth, except lubrication.
Its safe to say proteins will get digested in your gut by the acids released by your stomach or even in the intestine (or duodenum if taken with milk). When mixed with water its much quicker absorption. Milk again takes longer for digestion (due to presence of casein protein in it) and hence gives a slow release effect of the protein. Theres conflicting info on what happens to the whey in presence of milk casein - does it release quickly or does it release with the slow protein release action of casein? But either ways, there is a delayed release of some protein (casein or casein+whey).
You could go with an in between path and take skim or low fat milk with the whey powder, however any milk+protein mixtures are best left for post workout. Pre-workout stick to water+whey or if taking with milk, give atleast 2hrs gap.
Hope this makes sense

Last edited by jassi : 29th October 2009 at 00:23.
Old 29th October 2009, 00:36   #2140
Senior - BHPian

Those experiencing bloating are most likely because you have issues with lactose so milk is the culprit. And switch to whey isolate (WPI) to see the magical difference if your using regular WPC.

I have never been able to drink milk all my life... irony is that I actually like it.

Have seen whey being combined with pineapple juice for extreme absorption towards end of work out... taste be damned!

Similarly Creatine with grape juice.
Old 29th October 2009, 00:41   #2141
BHPian

Quote:
afaik (and someone may know better) salivary amylase is useful in alkaline food absorption not acidic. Part of the digestion especially quickly absorbed alkaline foods like fruit sugars happen in the mouth itself with saliva. Protein is acidic in nature and retards the action of saliva - the only thing in the protein powder that can be digested partially by saliva is the sugars, however the presence of whey will make the mixture acidic and post that not much is happening in your mouth, except lubrication.
Its safe to say proteins will get digested in your gut by the acids released by your stomach or even in the intestine (or duodenum if taken with milk). When
mixed with water its much quicker absorption. Milk again takes longer for digestion (due to presence of casein protein in it) and hence gives a slow release effect of the protein. Theres conflicting info on what happens to the whey in presence of milk casein - does it release quickly or does it release with the slow protein release action of casein? But either ways, there is a delayed release of some protein (casein or casein+whey).
You could go with an in between path and take skim or low fat milk with the whey powder, however any milk+protein mixtures are best left for post workout. Pre-workout stick to water+whey or if taking with milk, give atleast 2hrs gap.
Hope this makes sense
neat . thanks for the explanation.
so i presume there is no effect on protein absorption if consumed directly. i work-out in the office gym in the evening. so can not carry it to office. i just pop the powder (3-4 tea spoons) in the night (by around this time) before sleep and drink plenty of water.
Old 29th October 2009, 00:45   #2142
BHPian

Quote:
neat . thanks for the explanation.
glad the explanation was useful !

Quote:
i work-out in the office gym in the evening. so can not carry it to office. i just pop the powder (3-4 tea spoons) in the night (by around this time) before sleep and drink plenty of water.
this might work - but personally I have no experience and have never heard of someone doing this.
Why not carry a shaker with the protein powder in it and then just add water in office and shake and drink

Last edited by jassi : 29th October 2009 at 00:58.
Old 29th October 2009, 00:57   #2143
BHPian

Quote:
glad the explanation was useful !

i work-out in the office gym in the evening. so can not carry it to office. i just pop the powder (3-4 tea spoons) in the night (by around this time) before sleep and drink plenty of water.
this might work - but personally I have no experience and have never heard of someone doing this.
Why not carry a shaker with the protein powder in it and then just add water in office and shake and drink [/quote]

i should try. basically 'm just too lazy to do that . thanks.
Old 29th October 2009, 03:28   #2144
BHPian

Quote:
Milk is an important source of vitamin B12 - especially if you are a vegetarian. You can compensate with eggs and non-veg.
Great! I am a vegetarian and eat eggs. Now don't get me started on "But dude, eggs are non-veg!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Those experiencing bloating are most likely because you have issues with lactose so milk is the culprit. And switch to whey isolate (WPI) to see the magical difference if your using regular WPC.
Unfortunately for me, I am switching from a WPI (Iso Sensation) to a WPC (Myofusion) as the isolate is
proving to be very costly for me. But how much milk protein does a concentrate like Myofusion have?
Taken with water, it should be negligible?

Last edited by NK@Hyd : 29th October 2009 at 03:28. Reason: formatting
Old 29th October 2009, 14:14   #2145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
@harry10

To achieve Myofibrillar Hypertrophy; A 5X5reps or 5X10reps and ideally 10X5reps is most suited for developing lean muscle and strength.

Increase the work over the sets, this slows down the build up of lactic acid, hence ability to develop more strength.

A High Repetition workout to develop Range Of Movement and Strength-Endurance (Definition/Cuts) - try body weight exercises.

To burn fat and develop good cardiovascular endurance, try 400mts sprints
4X400mts 3 times a week.

To increase metabolism try the Baba Ramdev style breathing 1-5mts every hour.

You can include the sprints while doing multi-joint exercises (Squats/Dead-Lifts/Clean & Jerk)

@godog you are welcome
Myofibrillar Hypertrophy = very little increase in visible muscular mass actually.
Anyone targeting building muscles actually is more into sarcoplasmic hypertrophy.
If you have got muscular gains by 5 rep scheme, you count yourself blessed genetically.
However, on an average 5 reps is just too less of a stimulation for the muscle to grow.

Plus the weight which you use for 5 reps is so high that your body starts improving the neuron firing (for generating force), which is not really ideal for putting on muscular mass. Thats why the term CNS fatigue comes into picture (which takes pretty long to recover).

In my experience, if the exercise is not inducing pump naturally, the weight is too high, and the reps are too low.

Last edited by alpha1 : 29th October 2009 at 14:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks