Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2009, 21:03   #2191
Senior - BHPian

Those low single digit bf% are maintained only for a very short period of time on the day of the show only...
Old 3rd November 2009, 21:44   #2192
Team-BHP Support

ok guys wanted to ask you something. i am 6 feet 4 and weigh 86kgs now. i want to get my muscle form better, as in better cuts etc, and put on some more muscle mass. will supplements help? i had isopure for about 2 months last year and i did notice some improvement after that. should i continue with isopure or get one of those mass gain protein things?? also should i have before and after the workout or only after? my workout isnt very intense and i dont do cardio on the treadmill or anything, just play basketball or something after or before.
Old 3rd November 2009, 22:54   #2193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
ok guys wanted to ask you something. i am 6 feet 4 and weigh 86kgs now. i want to get my muscle form better, as in better cuts etc, and put on some more muscle mass. will supplements help? i had isopure for about 2 months last year and i did notice some improvement after that. should i continue with isopure or get one of those mass gain protein things?? also should i have before and after the workout or only after? my workout isnt very intense and i dont do cardio on the treadmill or anything, just play basketball or something after or before.
Weight gainers are for skinny people who just want to gain weight. Not recommended for muscle gain. Besides, they are quite expensive to have as their serving sizes are huge.

Go for whey protein and creatine.

Cardio should always be after weight training.
Old 3rd November 2009, 23:37   #2194
BHPian

@akshay1234 - you seem to be an ectomorph. As you are already playing basketball, you are losing significant calories there.
Yes protein supplements will help gain some muscle provided you are training muscles regularly - lifting heavy weights. If you are not lifting weights then your body is mostly using any protein supplement for energy demands - 1gm of protein is 4.5 cals and the same is true for 1gm of carb.
The only other advice is eat more - most ectomorphs don't eat much, even though they feel they do. You have to train your system to eat more, i remember sitting through multiple servings of carbs/proteins everyday. At one point (9yrs ago) I was eating 9 bananas a day and drinking 1.5 litres of milk, in addition to eggs/chicken and all the other protein (no supplements in those times)
Its difficult but you have to get there - also keep in mind its quality food, not junk at a buffet or burgers/pizzas.

PS - i used to be 50 kilos and 5'10" when i started out and its worked for me :-)

Last edited by jassi : 3rd November 2009 at 23:38.
Old 4th November 2009, 08:54   #2195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
nopes competition bodybuilders go even lower - i have heard swimmers goto 2% and all - not quite sure, but I think 3% is lowest for the fat protecting your organs. Any lower and your body will drastically alter the functioning of organs to compensate. Also you are gonna be shivering a lot

if you post on bodybuilding threads your posts wont go up :-P
Wow 2% is insane. I will be happy to hit 12-13%.
Did not know about post count not increasing while posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK@Hyd View Post
Hi Guys,

What is the current price of Myofusion and Dymatize Elite 5 lbs. at
your respective places? I am going to buy one of the two in this week,
so just wanted to check out the prices.
I recently picked up a tub of myofusion for 2800. Dymatize Elite costs 3189 at hypercity in Bombay.

cheers

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 4th November 2009 at 08:55. Reason: Editing the cost of Elite
Old 4th November 2009, 11:05   #2196
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
@akshay1234 - you seem to be an ectomorph. As you are already playing basketball, you are losing significant calories there.
Yes protein supplements will help gain some muscle provided you are training muscles regularly - lifting heavy weights. If you are not lifting weights then your body is mostly using any protein supplement for energy demands - 1gm of protein is 4.5 cals and the same is true for 1gm of carb.
The only other advice is eat more - most ectomorphs don't eat much, even though they feel they do. You have to train your system to eat more, i remember sitting through multiple servings of carbs/proteins everyday. At one point (9yrs ago) I was eating 9 bananas a day and drinking 1.5 litres of milk, in addition to eggs/chicken and all the other protein (no supplements in those times)
Its difficult but you have to get there - also keep in mind its quality food, not junk at a buffet or burgers/pizzas.

PS - i used to be 50 kilos and 5'10" when i started out and its worked for me :-)
i dont think im an ectomorph, im not really skinny. lol youll be surprised at the amount i eat in a day on most days. but then again, quite a bit is junk. yes i do lift weights about 3 times a week im trying to make it 4-5 times a week. but having protein shake after the work out will also help right? or should i be having it before?
Old 4th November 2009, 12:21   #2197
Senior - BHPian

Never understood this human affinity towards numbers.

If you can see your abs - you are pretty good body fat levels.
Otherwise, you have excess baggage that you need to shed.

Last edited by alpha1 : 4th November 2009 at 12:24.
Old 4th November 2009, 18:13   #2198
BHPian

Quote:
You need to get at least 135-150gms of quality protein everyday in order to increase muscle mass. The cuts will show once you drop body fat. So train hard and heavy (3 days is good enough, since you want to put on muscle mass), eat the protein and junk the junk food. Also, don't consume more than 150gms of carbs per day. That way, you won't put on too much fat along with the muscle. Supplements are a great help in order to reach that figure of daily protein intake.
Don't go for mass gainers. You could go for a blend of whey and casein (provided you aren't lactose intolerant). I don't think you need to spend the extra money on Isolate such as Isopure
Old 4th November 2009, 18:25   #2199
BHPian

Quote:
but having protein shake after the work out will also help right? or should i be having it before?
Its highly recommended within 15-20mts after your workout.
Old 4th November 2009, 19:10   #2200
BHPian

Quote:
i dont think im an ectomorph, im not really skinny. lol youll be surprised at the amount i eat in a day on most days. but then again, quite a bit is junk. yes i do lift weights about 3 times a week im trying to make it 4-5 times a week. but having protein shake after the work out will also help right? or should i be having it before?
well maybe you are not - maybe you are ecto-meso (and yes i am just talking about body types not sheldon's theories)
Most of us aim to be meso or somewhere close.

3-4 times is pretty ok - make sure you give it enough rest (do alternate days vs 3 continuous days)

Have the protein after workout (within 15-20 mins) and a good carb meal within 1.5hrs to replenish your system.
Old 5th November 2009, 01:36   #2201
Team-BHP Support

ok thanks guys. i already do have my protein just after i finish weights. someone told me i should have it 40 mins before my workout and after which is why i asked.
Old 5th November 2009, 01:59   #2202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ok thanks guys. i already do have my protein just after i finish weights. someone told me i should have it 40 mins before my workout and after which is why i asked.
Its not a bad idea to have whey before and after workout. Make sure you have it at least 30 mins before the workout and within 30 mins after.
Old 5th November 2009, 11:14   #2203

As informed in previous threads, Myofusion has egg albumen in it. I am using Intrapro currently. I am looking to try another now.

Request you to suggest another protein which does not have egg in it. And please refer any agents / location in Bangalore to get the products at good prices.

Best Regards,
Victor
Old 5th November 2009, 11:40   #2204
Senior - BHPian

How much protein?

excerpts from Mike Mentzer's Heavy Duty Nutrition.

Serial Water Protein Lipids Inorganic Material

Muscle 70% --- 22%-- 6%----- 2%
Fat 15%--- 12%-- 70%---- 3%

One Pound of muscle = 600 calories
One Pound of Fat = 3500 calories
1 gm of protein = 4 calories

To gain 10lbs of lean muscle in a Year (365 days) = 10X600= 6000 calories

extra calories above maintenance (BMR) per day 6000/365 = 16.4 calories per day

extra protein above maintenance (BMR) per day = 16.4/4 (25% of muscle is protein) = 4.1 calories from protein per day.

i.e to gain 10lbs of lean muscle we need 1gm(4calories) of protein above our BMR requirement (including our all our physical activities).

Regards,

Arka

Last edited by ex670c : 5th November 2009 at 11:48.
Old 6th November 2009, 16:12   #2205

Just curious if Jack3d is available in India/Bangalore.

Best Regards,
iVictor

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks