Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2010, 10:15   #2356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
BIO-X has a great line of proteins. Their proteins are top notch. Instead of pure isolate, you should for for their blend. Whey+Casein has BETTER effects on fat loss when compatred to pure Whey alone!
Thanks, but Bio-X says that the "fusion" you mentioned should ideally be used as an in-between protein and the isolate or complex should be used as a post-workout protein. Also since I am a strict vegetarian (no eggs) how much protein do I ideally need? I have a very balanced diet with a lot of beans, daal, paneer and such in addition to veggies. I have read one gram per kilo and upto 1.5 for people that are working out. Its a bit confusing.

What is the correct way to take protein. I train in the evenings and get done by 9pm, I get home by 9:10 and take about 50gms of protein (isopure) and then eat dinner. the next day which is a rest day I take 25g in the morning and 25g in the evening. I dont take any protein during the day on my training day. I train 4 days a week.

Any suggestions/advice will be highly appreciated.
Old 8th January 2010, 11:06   #2357
BHPian

Yes, you're right but fusion can be taken post workout also. As a matter of fact, blends are better than Isolates or cheap concentrates because of better protein utilization and plasma amino acid levels. Isolates tend to get oxidized way too quickly. the only reason some people prefer isolates because they are lactose free, other than that, they do not have additional benefits.

Protein consumption varies from 1g/lb to 1.5/lb. Infact, I have seen great results from as little as 0.5g/lb. It all depends upon the protein synthesis your body can generate. Higher protein doesn't necessarily mean more muscle. It's important to concentrate on antioxidants, multivitamins/minerals rather than protein consumption. I have personally found out maxed out levels of muscle and liver glycogen are key to build more muscle rather than to take heavy dosages of protein.

Myself being 100% vegetarian find it quite easy for my daily protein needs. I take 3 scoops of protein a day; (1) Upon waking up in the morning, (2) Afternoon with lunch and (3) Post workout. Pre-bedtime, I consume around 200g of cheese.

I don't rely too much on beans/dals for my protein source as the proteins found in them are estrogenic to some extent and they inevitably interfere with T-levels. Green leafy veggies are great anytime of a day.
Old 8th January 2010, 13:31   #2358
BHPian

@1-Testosterone - Thanks for your input, I have noticed the protein blend from Bio-X has way more fat and carbs as compared to the isolate. Is that negligible if I am simultaneously trying to lose weight since the body needs those carbs to recuperate?

I am also thinking of taking 1-2g of Micronized Creatine Mono along with tmy protein supplement post workout. How should I space that out? I wont be loading at all, just taking that amount everyday. Creatine helps with volumizing muscles with fluids, muscle size decreases after stopping creatine use. How much size loss will one notice, if you lose a lot of volume whats the point on taking creatine for temporary gains?

Any reviews on nitro tech?

P.S. I will be taking B vitamins along with creatine
Old 8th January 2010, 14:01   #2359
BHPian

Your body needs some GOOD FATS and GOOD CARBS to BURN FAT and STAY HEALTHY. Without adequate fat intake, your body's own endocrine system would not work optimally and won't be producing fat burning hormones. This will hit endogenous Glutathione production which will raise Cortisol and ROS - These things defeat ones purpose.

The fat contained in this blend come from CLA which is good for your body. The fats in good quality protein blends should be the last thing you should worry about.

Instead of taking creatine post workout woith your protein shake, you should try to take Intra-Workout (alongwith dextrose or maltodextrin) - that's when your insulin levels are sky high and more creatine is bound to get into your muscles. When you take creatine with your protein - the benefits MAY decrease slightly because Creatine competes with EAA's (from Whey) leading to lesser overall refractory response.

Nitrotech is good but very over-hyped product. It's nothing but whey protein concentrate + carbs + creatine - which is bound to give results but the pricing is outrageous because they have to feed TEAM MUSCLETECH
Old 8th January 2010, 14:54   #2360
BHPian

Ok so its set, I am going to take Micronized Creatine Mono. Intra workout and Power whey fusion post workout.

Any idea on how much volume is lost when creatine use is stopped completely?

Thanks for all your help
Old 8th January 2010, 17:17   #2361
BHPian

supplements

hey gordon...
sajid here, just a newbie...i heard and read a lot about you in this forum. i respect you as a very member with loads of fine experience compared to what i have. now coming back to topic i need your advice about supplements, first i wish to describe myself
height: 5f 10in
weight: 60kg

i dont have fat on my body but sometimes feel skinny as compared to my friends having height greater than or equal to me, recently i started hitting the gym, heard a lot about supplements
please tell me what should i take
ON 100% gold whey protein or ON serious mass
i am desperate to gain few kgs

please reply

thanks and regards
sajid

Last edited by crazy4s : 8th January 2010 at 17:32. Reason: latest update
Old 8th January 2010, 18:29   #2362
BHPian

You don't lose significant volume but how much you'll lose will depend on your body type. On an average it is not more than 5% (for a mesomorph) and 3% (for endomorph). But one thing is for sure : you gain lean muscle! After you come off from Creatine cycle, A bit of loss in weight is attributed to loss of subcutaneous water retention (while on creatine cycle) rather than extracellular water retention. After all, muscle is muscle, the more you create it, more water will it hold.
Old 9th January 2010, 16:15   #2363
BHPian

supplement

hello sir...
sajid here, i need your advice about supplements, first i wish to describe myself
height: 5f 10in
weight: 60kg

i dont have fat on my body but sometimes feel skinny as compared to my friends having height greater than or equal to me, recently i started hitting the gym, heard a lot about supplements
please tell me what should i take
ON 100% gold whey protein or ON serious mass
i am desperate to gain few kgs

please reply

thanks and regards
sajid
Old 9th January 2010, 23:56   #2364
Senior - BHPian

Guys, need a reliable supplements dealer in Bangalore. Any suggestions?
Old 10th January 2010, 10:35   #2365
BHPian

@1-Testosterone - You said you take 3 scoops of whey protein, now how many grams of protein does one scoop contain for you?

I also read that Creatine is not stable in liquid form and converts to Creatinine after 15 mins or so in solution form. How do I take it intra workout then? would it not be better to take it pre workout.

Also 200gms of cheese has a **** load of fat, and protein, so how do you deal with that?
Old 10th January 2010, 12:12   #2366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Guys, need a reliable supplements dealer in Bangalore. Any suggestions?
try the reliance wellness stores
Old 10th January 2010, 13:24   #2367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
try the reliance wellness stores
I believe Reliance Wellness has shut shop. Atleast in Hyderabad
and some parts of Bangalore.
Old 10th January 2010, 15:23   #2368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK@Hyd View Post
I believe Reliance Wellness has shut shop. Atleast in Hyderabad
and some parts of Bangalore.
ooh !! well its a good thing I picked up a year's supply of supplements on my last US trip
Old 10th January 2010, 15:32   #2369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
ooh !! well its a good thing I picked up a year's supply of supplements on my last US trip
Great! Any problems with the customs? One of my friends is
bringing a 5 lb. tub for me in March. Should he be carrying the
receipt (from BB.com) in case he's stopped? I did tell him to pack
it 'nicely' so that it escapes them!
Old 10th January 2010, 18:50   #2370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK@Hyd View Post
Great! Any problems with the customs? One of my friends is
bringing a 5 lb. tub for me in March. Should he be carrying the
receipt (from BB.com) in case he's stopped? I did tell him to pack
it 'nicely' so that it escapes them!
no problems at all - I had a separate checked in duffel bag full of supplements (3 huge tubs) and other stuff like joint supplements (glucosamine and chondroitin) and fish oil capsules, etc Also got my favorite eatables like muesli bars, 30 days supply of kraft mac n cheese and kraft grated cheese bottles.

Wasn't even stopped by customs!

Most Viewed