Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2010, 14:17   #2581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
Hey man - i was 50 kilos (5'10") when I started out 12-13 years ago. I used no supplements then but diligently worked out everyday and ate a lot I used to make protein shakes at home - 5-6 eggs + milk + flavouring, as well as ate a lot of bananas. Within 4-5 years I grew from 50 to 65 kgs and now I stay between 70-74 kilos.
I would recommend strong emphasis on basic exercises - get the technique right with light weights and then move onto heavy weights till you plateau (can't go up anymore). You will hit plateaus once every few months and constant changes in muscle combinations or reps, etc will help you get past those.
Bench presses, full a** to the grass squats (causes body to release growth hormone due to large muscles involved), shoulder presses, pull ups (sets of reps to failure till you hit 50 total reps), clean and press, deadlifts both sldl and bent knee, are some of the compound movements you need to look at. Ofcourse you still will have some basic movements like curls, tricep presses, calf raises, leg curls, etc. You could combine muscle groups into groups of 2 - chest and triceps, shoulder and forearms, back and biceps, legs and lower back, and have a 4 day workout. Abs can be treated as a regular muscle and twice a week is good enough.
Cardio is only for warm up - 5-6 mins before and after workout. Make sure you stretch all your muscles after every workout and hold each stretch for 20-30secs.
Good luck and keep us posted
Thanks im 55 right now (5"8) Very informative, i will surely try these out.
Old 12th July 2010, 01:15   #2582

Guys,

I am getting this quote for whey n burners:

Quote:
USPLabs - Oxi Elite Pro - 90 caps - 3000 /-
Lipo 6 - 120 caps - 1700 /-

Myofusion 5lb - 3100 /-
ON Nitrocore 24 6lb - 3350/-
Is this more or okay per your knowledge? Please share.

/peace
iVictor
Old 12th July 2010, 13:47   #2583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVictor View Post
Guys,

/peace
iVictor
Well myofusion, i can confirm that I got it for the same price of Rs3100/- for 5lbs.
Old 12th July 2010, 15:08   #2584
Senior - BHPian

Guys - I just went through the last 10-12 pages right up to my earlier post in Jan !
I had enquired on a good quality Whey protein to start with.
Objective being to gain muscle mass.

I am a 100% veggie and have attained a fairly decent muscle mass with work outs over the last 1 year. but would like to attain better muscle mass especially for the lower body.

1) is Dymatize elite whey - 10 lbs a good way to start ? it looks quite affordable and was recommended by another member earlier when i posted.

2) over the last 10-12 pages, i came across another name that is well recommended - Gasper Nutrition - i went through their website - i suppose the product to start with is Intrapro ?

OR...

is there any other alternative good quality whey i can start with ?

also please advise the quantity to start with..

i work out in the morning and having a serving after work out is fine. i wont be able to have any during the day .

thanks for your inputs
Old 12th July 2010, 16:27   #2585

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVictor View Post
Guys,

Quote:
USPLabs - Oxi Elite Pro - 90 caps - 3000 /-
Lipo 6 - 120 caps - 1700 /-

Myofusion 5lb - 3100 /-
ON Nitrocore 24 6lb - 3350/-

/peace
iVictor
Hi guys, one more question, I was going through reviews on Lipo 6, Oxi Elite and VPX Meltdown. Getting one common theme from all of these -

1. Result in increased heart beat rate
2. Lots of sweating since they are thermogenics

But what about anxiety, jitters, crash? Do these happen? What are other (side-)effects to be wary of?

/Peace
iVictor
Old 14th July 2010, 01:49   #2586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Guys - I just went through the last 10-12 pages right up to my earlier post in Jan !
I had enquired on a good quality Whey protein to start with.
Objective being to gain muscle mass.

is there any other alternative good quality whey i can start with ?

also please advise the quantity to start with..
Say, if you moved to japan, would you ask a random tailor to make 10 suits for you, even if 5 strangers recommended him, and the shop even had a board with 'Elite' on it?

If I recommend that you go to a certain mechanic, will you take your '27 Fiat to him for restoration straightaway? Or at first 'dip your toes', ask him to look over your skoda?

To me, Intrapro makes sense since it is available in a small size. But you nearly end up paying myofusion money. And its not cheap in comparison with other isolates anywhey

Isosensation93 is also a highly recommended whey on this thread, one which I am yet to try.
Old 14th July 2010, 13:11   #2587
BHPian

All the bodybuilding guru's out here, need advice:

4 months since i started working out, just did my bmi test at my gym and was depressed, I have been on the circuit since I joined which means work-out for entire body every alternate day. I have been regligiously doing cardio on my cardio days.

Results:
- 3kg lost from my earlier body weight.
-I have lost 2% of lean body mass? ideally this should not happen?
-Fat mass %, when i started was 25%, after 2 months down to 21.5%, yest result back to 25%, strange.
-1/2 inch increase in biceps.
-3/4 decrease in chest.
-1/2 inch increase in forearm
-1/2 inch decrease in shoulder.
- 1inch increase hips
-rest all more or less remains the same.

Now I have been put on 3 body part exercise, yesterday was my first day, schedule as follows:
Day 1- Shoulder, chest, tricep.
Day 2- Cardio and abs
Day 3- back, legs biceps.
Repeat the above schedule...

My worry is do i need to do alternate cardio or can i do 3 body part every day as the work-out is for different body parts, I am totally confused as every one has their own thoughts and the gym guys have suggested the above, I dont know if they are tiring me or pushing me to get a personal trainer, though i have done some under the table arrangement now.

I have recently started iso pure zero carb strawberry & cream, nice taste.

PLease share you thoughts and some advice.

Cheers.

Last edited by The Saint : 14th July 2010 at 13:16.
Old 14th July 2010, 18:55   #2588
Senior - BHPian

Look don't expect miracles to happen.

I cannot comment about the BMI figures but i can say that it will take time.Just stay off the butter,ghee,fried stuff,icecreams as much as possible and have them say once every 15 days and that too in moderation.

If you're really too tired and frustrated take a week off.No supplements,no vitamins nothing.just good home food and nice happy living.

Different bodies react differently to workouts. Be happy with whatever gains/losses you make.

Make Working out a second nature.just like you bath everyday.You just have to go there and do something.Slowly you'll get a great body.

I have seen some people getting half their original size in 6 months because most of it was fat due to alcohol and fried stuff.and then i have seen me who hasn't lost any weight in 2 years.lol.because i'm a typical punjabi and its really hard to take punjab out of a punjabi.lol.

So be happy man.enjoy your workouts.It will take time.and remember that if you eat fried fat stuff on one day then it will take you more than a week to take it out.

Keep your motivation up.

measure every sunday.and see what progress you've made.Ideally you should be taking out .2 of an inch every week.don't aim more than that.its more than enough seeing that in 10 weeks you'll have a waist 2 inches smaller.

I'd suggest you jog for 30 minutes everyday on the treadmill without a break.Eg start with a speed of 6 for 1 minute.then for 28 minutes keep it at say 7 or 7.1 or 7.2 and so on .and in the last minute again go to 6 for one minute.

Now every week increase the speed by .1 kmph. that is say you were at 7kmph for 28 minutes in week one.keep it at 7.1 for week 2.

This should work for you as i have been seeing live results for this approach.

Rest don't take this is a hard and fast way.See what works for you and what you're comfortable with.If it works for you its gotta be good.
Old 14th July 2010, 22:48   #2589
Senior - BHPian

@The Saint-In addition to what Navpreet has rightly suggested-
3 body parts a day is too much.
I will just share what i had done.

Some facts= December last year i was 22% body fat with a 39 inch waist.
2 days back when i did BMI i was at 8% body fat with 32 inch waist.

I had read 100 of books and talked 2 many trainers but then i made my own schedule as per my body requirement.

My routine-
6days a week,2body parts a day. Like-
1.-Chest/tricep and upper abs.
2.-Biceps/back and lower abs.
3.- Shoulder/legs and forarms.
I follow this 2 times a week with sunday as rest day.

I start with 5 min running on treadmill,5min cycling and 5 min stretching. Thats it for warm up.
When am done with body parts and abs then i run on tread mill for 15mins cos thats the time the body loses most of the fat.

Protein- One in morning and one after workout.
Diet- Stay away from sugar,oily and junk food with one day as cheat day when i eat pizzas and everything.

This has worked for me very well so if you wish to try then do go for it.
The main point is commitmment to your routine and no shortcuts. Change takes time but it is hell as sweet too!

Also i do BMI every ten days to monitor what i am doing right and wrong.

@Narayan-
If you want an isolate then go for iso sensation 93. The best i had used.
Otheriwise Myofusion is the most cost effective one which i am using currently.

Last edited by harry10 : 14th July 2010 at 22:51.
Old 14th July 2010, 23:46   #2590
BHPian

hey navs thanks a ton, will call you tomorrow.

Harry bro thanks for sharing your thoughts, appreciate.

Cheers.
Old 15th July 2010, 13:57   #2591
BHPian

+1 to navpreet
+1 to harry

+ go by the mirror at home, and not the scales (especially at the gym)

Stay on course and observe what works for you.

Hint: 'what works for you' will make you feel elated. If you're happy after your workout, even if dead tired, thats the w/o to stick with. If u feel like there's 'some problem/s', dump or change it. Ask 'trainers' to see that you have perfect form, and avoid isolation exercises.

Cliches work; listen to them.
Old 15th July 2010, 14:23   #2592

Also, do not change your w/o plan simply because other dudes in the gym are doing *differently*, doing *more* or *heavier*. Stick to your plan and improvise after observing how your current plan is going. As godog said above, 'what works for you' is
important and shall bring results for you.
Old 16th July 2010, 12:14   #2593
BHPian

Thanks everyone for your advice, will monitor my new work-out schedule for next 45 days with every week results. I am going for a long vacation which means will not have access to the gym for sometime, but then I can do my own cardio (walk or jog) where ever I am staying and thinking of pushups and carrying dumbles along, shall i also eat whey while i m on my vacation.

What do you guys suggest can be done to be in shape and not have a long break.

cheers

Last edited by The Saint : 16th July 2010 at 12:20.
Old 16th July 2010, 12:48   #2594
BHPian

Anyone here has experience with Welcome to CrossFit: Forging Elite Fitness I have started their workout of the day (WODs) and its pretty good stuff! More importantly the theory behind the stuff they do is very compelling
Old 16th July 2010, 16:03   #2595

Guys, can anyone give reference to buyin whey in Bangalore? The person I used to get it from is unavailable for past few days.

Thanks.

Most Viewed