Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2011, 16:04   #2716
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Whenever I workout for a couple of months, I fall sick. Nothing serious, just flu like symptoms. It starts with sore throat and fatigue soon after a particularly strenuous workout and will go away after a week or so. Some googling indicated that this might be due to toxins in the fat being released into the blood stream and there seemed to be no definite cure. Some suggested that Probiotics may help. I wanted to know if anyone of you had any similar experience or have used probiotics.

PS: I would consult a doctor before starting any medication, but just wanted some first-hand info if any.
Old 26th January 2011, 17:52   #2717
BHPian

^^ probiotics are in your home made curd - or you could get some nestle probiotic curd. I generally found it useful when I had antibiotics. I generally have 250ml of curd everyday
Old 28th January 2011, 11:21   #2718
BHPian

All gurus,

I have been gymming for last 7 months atleast 5 days a week, out of which the first 3 months was intense circuit training and cardio, i have progressed well and lost lot of fat and converted in to muscles, i am pretty happy with my performance, i dont take any supplements whatsoever. All this while i tonned my body but lost only 1 kg in body weight.

My question is off late was very irregular to the gym, infact i would say out of 25 days I went to the gym for 6 days in total, also participated in the Dubai 10km marathon.

Today morning when I checked my weight I see that I have lost 3 kgs, is this normal when you stop gymming for a while or this is something to worry about

Appreciate if gurus can share their thoughts.

thanks.
Old 28th January 2011, 13:17   #2719
BHPian

Out of those 3 Kgs, you have lost some fat and some valuable lean muscle too. Check out your strength - If it's up there, then most of what you have lost if fat.
Old 28th January 2011, 13:42   #2720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Whenever I workout for a couple of months, I fall sick. Nothing serious, just flu like symptoms. It starts with sore throat and fatigue soon after a particularly strenuous workout and will go away after a week or so. Some googling indicated that this might be due to toxins in the fat being released into the blood stream and there seemed to be no definite cure. Some suggested that Probiotics may help. I wanted to know if anyone of you had any similar experience or have used probiotics.
Same gym?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam View Post
Replace regular water with coconut water at least 2 glasses, consume before,during and after your workouts whenever you feel thirsty. I never felt any such thing & my cardio lasts for more than an Hr sometime. Try it for a week and see.
Cocacola, Pepsi and another company are investing ( and have bought) firms that sell/bottle coconut water! Hope we get some good drink from them soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I do drink around 5 litres of water but not much of electrolytes. I've replaced my mid meal snacks with fruits, mostly apple and bananas.

Arre the gym i go to has weights and a couple of cycles and one multipurpose machine. Forget towels, it doesnt even have a water filter.

I carry my own towel but maybe i should change it more often. Thats a good point.

Isnt that a lot of water? Wont it overwork your kidney and take away valuable vitamins/etc too?
Old 3rd February 2011, 00:51   #2721
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
^^ probiotics are in your home made curd - or you could get some nestle probiotic curd. I generally found it useful when I had antibiotics. I generally have 250ml of curd everyday
Thanks Jathin, I didn't know about the probiotic curd from nestle. Anyways, I am off curd and citrus fruits for a month now due to throat infection

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Same gym?
No, 3 different gyms. So hygiene issue ruled out.
Old 5th February 2011, 04:10   #2722

Hi guys,

I am in Delhi for a few days n Nitro core tub is nearly over. for some reason, neulife store here only keeps chocolate flavors for most of brands it has. Also, I am told myofusion is no longer in mkt for past 2-3 months.?

I don't want a choc protein tub. Any pointers to get ON Nitro Core strawberry here in Delhi please..?

Another point I'd ask you is what are recom supps for health, strength n well-being for men/women above 50. Of course, this is over n above staple diet, physical activity/exercises n proper sleep.

./iVictor
Old 18th February 2011, 01:01   #2723
BHPian

Guys,

Any connection between protein shakes and acne?

I've noticed that ever since I started consuming my new tub of Myofusion
(Milk Choc. -bought from an authorised dealer in Hyd.), I have started
getting pimples on my face. Diet, general lifestyle all remains the same.

I've already used Dymatize and Myofusion itself in the past but those
had no strange effects on my skin.

If it helps, I am 32 and last had acne in my teen years. Also, the Myofusion
I am using now is a bit sweeter and harder to blend than the one I got from US
around 8 months back.
Old 18th February 2011, 14:28   #2724
Senior - BHPian

High protein is only required if you are taking "help" with anabolic hormones. Thats when it can covert this digested proteins into something known as muscles.

Under normal circumstances - and if you are regular with eggs/meat - you have more than sufficient proteins in your diet to convert to muscle, with the limited anabolic hormone running through our blood, otherwise we all would've been like Arnold.
In fact, in most cases even vegetarians get enough proteins in their diet (provided it is well balanced) to build muscles.
Indian wrestlers had always been vegetarians.

Why exactly are you taking this powder? Just because everyone these days is taking it?

Last edited by alpha1 : 18th February 2011 at 14:31.
Old 18th February 2011, 14:54   #2725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
High protein is only required if you are taking "help" with anabolic hormones. Thats when it can covert this digested proteins into something known as muscles.

Under normal circumstances - and if you are regular with eggs/meat - you have more than sufficient proteins in your diet to convert to muscle, with the limited anabolic hormone running through our blood, otherwise we all would've been like Arnold.
In fact, in most cases even vegetarians get enough proteins in their diet (provided it is well balanced) to build muscles.
Indian wrestlers had always been vegetarians.

Why exactly are you taking this powder? Just because everyone these days is taking it?
The Whey protein debate has been done to death in this forum, so lets not get into that.
I am using it because I have seen marked improvement in my physique and it helps me get
the protein which I cannot get from my diet (I am a vegetarian), not because everyone else
is taking it.

Wrt Indian wrestlers, try emulating their lifestyle.
Old 18th February 2011, 15:02   #2726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post

PS: I would consult a doctor before starting any medication, but just wanted some first-hand info if any.
Buddy...u aint getting adequate rest,Period !!! As u may already know,After every work out, the muscles get strained and develop microscopic tears as a result of strain from the weights and when u rest, it starts to rebuild on those damaged muscle tissue enabling it to bedcome bigger n stronger. try sleeping for 9 hours n have nutrious food (c hicken, eggs n veges)

If things continue to be the same, then am afraid u are suffering from CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome)..CFS starts with exact flu like symptoms n can get agrrieved after a work out session in the gym. Many suffer from this n that doesnt mean its the end of the world, IMO try n get enuf rest n u shud be ok to hit the weights again

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by bblost : 18th February 2011 at 17:45. Reason: Please check the edited post. Thanks.
Old 18th February 2011, 17:41   #2727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnaturallywired View Post
Buddy...u aint getting adequate rest,Period !!! As u may already know,After every work out, the muscles get strained and develop microscopic tears as a result of strain from the weights and when u rest, it starts to rebuild on those damaged muscle tissue enabling it to bedcome bigger n stronger. try sleeping for 9 hours n have nutrious food (c hicken, eggs n veges)

If things continue to be the same, then am afraid u are suffering from CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome)..CFS starts with exact flu like symptoms n can get agrrieved after a work out session in the gym. Many suffer from this n that doesnt mean its the end of the world, IMO try n get enuf rest n u shud be ok to hit the weights again
Thanks dude, let me work on the rest part (especially sleep). Regarding food, I am vegetarian and a very choosy eater at that. Cant help
Old 18th February 2011, 23:33   #2728
PPS
Senior - BHPian

I wanted to ask if any of you who has been regularly working out has over a period of time lost interest in gymming ? Let me explain my situation, I have been working out for 4-5 years now but ever since i started working, my body has gone downhill ! I am 6 feet 1 inch weighing 88kgs now , was around 82kgs when i was in decent shape . I dont take supplements, do the regular 3 days cardio + 3 days weight training workout.
Maybe some hot girls are needed to workout along with me for some much needed Motivation.
Old 19th February 2011, 03:40   #2729
BHPian

If you want real Motivation, try reading " Survival of the Fittest" by Mike Stroud who is a doctor by profession. He very beautifully describes his Survival and extreme trips ( Trekking to the south pole, crossing the sahara, running the london marathon, doing all terrain cross country in the US) and interweaves it with protein & dietary requirements
Old 23rd February 2011, 13:34   #2730
Senior - BHPian

Guys, a cousin of mine is travelling from the US.

can you please advise a good website to purchase GOOD QUALITY PROTEIN SUPPLEMENT . idea is to buy a bulk pack and get a GOOD price.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks