Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2011, 13:50   #2866
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
Hi Ashok

I always start of with the heaviest exercises (Squats and deadlifts) but I get your point. My squats are pretty weak (60 Kg) since I started them about 4 weeks ago, but I deadlift approx. 90-100 Kgs. Even I had been thinking about reducing the number of exercises and concentrate mainly on compound exercises. So I guess I'll take a week or ten days off to recover and then start with fewer exercises for every muscle group.

Another thing I wanted to check up on is my Chest. Over the past 3 months I have seen a reasonable increase everywhere- Biceps, triceps, lats, traps, legs, everything but my Chest. Despite the fact that I am bench pressing almost 3 times than what I was pressing 3 months ago. I read on a few forums that this may be due to genetics, different muscles in different people respond differently. Is that right? I have had a couple of instructors spotting me and they don't think that there is anything wrong with my technique. They just told me that i have to keep at it as my chest muscles may be responding slower as compared to other muscles. What do you guys suggest?

And lastly, should I take creatine before or after the workout? Most people say before, but the Optimum Nutrition Creatine label says after.
While most of the points have been covered by Ashok and Mandheer, I would suggest doing dips or decline press for chest. (Chest Dip)
Or guillotine press (also known as Vince Gironda press) (if you can afford a spotter) - Barbell Guillotine Bench Press

Chest muscle or pectoralis major
Pectoralis Major (Sternal Head)
if you see brings your arms closer to the rib cage.

However, when you do the movement flat on the bench - a large part of the motion is achieved by anterior deltoid contraction also.

By doing the movement in decline bench (which is similar to doing chest dips) or by doing guillotine press - you try to take the anterior deltoid out of the equation.

If you are used to the flat press - you will immediately realize a more extended range of motion (especially the stretch) while doing dips and decline.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2011, 14:11   #2867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
Hi strong folk

I've got a question. Does a 17 year old going-to-college-soon guy need to work out at a gym to keep fit [Fit as in good healthy levels of fitness, no intention of competing in a sport or something...] ?

Thanks.
Can you define "good healthy levels" of fitness?

Other than that - all I can say that living bodies are made to be used till it is alive.
Usage = walking, running, leaping, skipping, pushing, pulling etc = physical activity.
Old 6th May 2011, 14:42   #2868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Can you define "good healthy levels" of fitness?
Err...I'm not really sure. Currently I'm at 'Lazy asthma-affected computer geek' levels of fitness. I'd just like to be adequately healthy and fit.

Wow, that's tough to explain. Isn't there something like 'normal and ideal levels of fitness' ? I'm not aiming to be a sportsperson or anything. I'd just like to be fit enough to not undergo serious deterioration in health when I'm old. I don't know if I've already mentioned it, but I'm 17.
Old 6th May 2011, 15:08   #2869
BHPian

Quote:
While most of the points have been covered by Ashok and Mandheer, I would suggest doing dips or decline press for chest. (Chest Dip)
Or guillotine press (also known as Vince Gironda press) (if you can afford a spotter) - Barbell Guillotine Bench Press
Thanks alpha1. As recommended by others, I am taking a few days off to recover and I'll be back in the gym with a new plan. Since it was suggested by Ashok and Mandheer that I was over training, I intend to focus on just 2 or 3 exercises per muscle group. For the Chest muscles, I will start with the guillotine press. Which other exercises would you recommend to supplement my chest workout (along with the guillotine press)? Decline + DB Press? Decline + DB Flies? Also, could you recommend the ideal number of reps and sets for the same? Currently, I am used to 5 sets of 5-8 reps per exercise.
Old 7th May 2011, 10:52   #2870
BHPian

A few more queries-

1. Are drag curls (where the barbell stays close to the torso) more effective than regular Barbell bicep curls?
2. Which is the most effective exercise for developing upper chest?
3. If I had to chose between Db bicep curls and hammer curls, which one should I opt for? Or should I alternate these in different sessions?
4. Which is the most effective shoulder exercise to supplement overhead presses? Arnold presses or regular Db presses?
5. Are behind the neck shoulder presses (bradford/rocky presses) effective or should I drop them?
6. Should I have creatine before or after workout?

Thanks
Old 7th May 2011, 16:09   #2871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
A few more queries-

1. Are drag curls (where the barbell stays close to the torso) more effective than regular Barbell bicep curls?
2. Which is the most effective exercise for developing upper chest?
3. If I had to chose between Db bicep curls and hammer curls, which one should I opt for? Or should I alternate these in different sessions?
4. Which is the most effective shoulder exercise to supplement overhead presses? Arnold presses or regular Db presses?
5. Are behind the neck shoulder presses (bradford/rocky presses) effective or should I drop them?
6. Should I have creatine before or after workout?

Thanks
I am not an expert but from personal experience am replying the above points-

1.- i have always felt that drag curls are better than normal bicep curls as they give a better pump and stiffness to the bicep muscles.

2.- For me its incline dumbell press. Also i feel dips should be a part of every chest routine as they also work out your triceps along with the chest.

3- The days i do the barbell curls i dont dont do the Db bicep curls and when i do Db bicep curls then barbell curls are skipped. i alternate these with the hammer curls. This has been advised by my trainer and i find it quiet effective.

4.- Well i believe seated db presses(which i personally feel are better than arnold presses) can substitute for overhead presses however the overhead presses are more effective then both of them any day imo.

5 - bradford/rocky presses had been banned in our gym as they had been termed as not too effective and the risk of injury is quiet high in them. But i still see few people doing it so to each his own.

6.- According to many experts its the best to take it 15-20 mins before your workout. I had used it myself and i totally agree to this. There are many people who take it after workouts also so again its to each his own factor however before workout it works the best.

Hope this helps,cheers!
Old 9th May 2011, 12:19   #2872
BHPian

Few pics for you guys from my recent transformation, Hit me up with questions if I could be of any help for you guys, would be happy to help!
Attached Thumbnails
Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-pic4.jpg  

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-pic2.jpg  

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-pic.jpg  

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-01052011084.jpg  

Old 9th May 2011, 12:34   #2873
Distinguished - BHPian

@Redcircle, did you have any time to do anything at all in your life these past months man? Phenomenal stuff - word of advice - if the gym starts getting boring (unless you're training to be a body builder) start getting out and doing mountain climbing, trekking, swimming, and other activities that'll keep you fit and mentally occupied. I had to leave the gym for good for about 5 months to just get the gym-rat smell out of my system.

The others: I am trying to get started with a vegan diet and get rid of chicken/ and other forms of red meat. I am going to have some fish as a part of my diet as I go forward but will ease this off over a period of time too.

Have been reading good stuff about Spirulina powders as a protein supplement to meat in daily food intake (not using this as a post-work-out drink). What's your take on them?

PS: I will continue my daily diet of 12 egg whites (6-morning/6-nightly) so I dont go below the absolute bare minimum protein I need.
Old 9th May 2011, 12:40   #2874
BHPian

@ Red Circle: great transformation there. Cut up real good.

What cycle and duration?

You are almost unrecognizable!
Old 9th May 2011, 12:44   #2875
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
Err...I'm not really sure. Currently I'm at 'Lazy asthma-affected computer geek' levels of fitness. I'd just like to be adequately healthy and fit.

Wow, that's tough to explain. Isn't there something like 'normal and ideal levels of fitness' ? I'm not aiming to be a sportsperson or anything. I'd just like to be fit enough to not undergo serious deterioration in health when I'm old. I don't know if I've already mentioned it, but I'm 17.
Start running. Every morning. Measure the distance. Increase the distance a bit every 2 days. Start clocking distances in kilometres. Get yourself a good pair of reebok's or nike's. Get a tee that makes you feel good going out for a jog. Music on an ipod will be nice to keep the motivation up.

Do all the following core-body weight exercises everyday AFTER your run - 10 reps each - in a cycle - that's 1 set. Do 3 sets:

Pushups - shoulders, triceps
Squats - Legs
Pullups (if you can find a bar on a playground) - back, biceps
Chinups (same as pullups) - biceps, back (biceps get worked out more)
Crunches (abs).

Check youtube for examples of how to do these, if you dont know them.

Dont rest too much between the exercises. Keep it going. Increase the reps and sets. Make a note of them in a diary. Measure it. Share it with folks.

This should effectively get you started with working out without spending a dime. And you wont have any injuries from lifting weights as long as you have good shoes, and watch where you run/land.

Once you do this, and you are effectively able to complete a 2 km run and 3 sets of the above within about 30 minutes, I'd say you're ready for the next goal.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 13:54   #2876
Senior - BHPian

@red circle-
Excellent job!
Share with us the routines you followed along with diet, supplements etc.
Old 9th May 2011, 15:55   #2877
Senior - BHPian

Redcircle, that is awesome.
Diet and exercise plan.

Astleviz, be careful with the guillotine press. Its not named guillotine just for "lulz".
Old 10th May 2011, 10:11   #2878
BHPian

Amazing Work Redcircle. Keep Pumping. By the way guys, Jay cutler, Phil Heath, dexter Jackson, branch warren to compete in India , Mumbai on the 25th September at taj Lands End. the even is called Sheru Classic, an expo cum competition.

See ya all there.
SohailPistawala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 10:38   #2879
Senior - BHPian

Good god! Red circle, your transformation is awesome and that too in only 5 months.
Do share your workout regime, nutrition and supplementation schedule.

All the best and keep pumping.
Old 10th May 2011, 12:44   #2880
BHPian

Thank you all for the kind words I followed Cyclic Keto diet also called as Carb Cycling. I will be posting a detailed workout and diet plan probably on Bodybuilding.com and post the link here. As far as supplements I used Whey, Multivitamins, BCAA and Caffeine caps thats about it.

@Red Liner - Did I had time to do anything else? For the last few weeks "NO" as I was doing around 2 hrs of cardio on weekends and any holidays on weekdays it was weight training.

@SohailPistawala - I read about Sheru classic on Facebook, would love to visit. Lets see!

@hiren.mistry - Five monts is a long time! My efforts initially was not that great and inbetween I had to take 2 weeks off! Now since I know how to go about it i feel It could have been done in less than 5 moths!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
@Redcircle, did you have any time to do anything at all in your life these past months man? Phenomenal stuff - word of advice - if the gym starts getting boring (unless you're training to be a body builder) start getting out and doing mountain climbing, trekking, swimming, and other activities that'll keep you fit and mentally occupied. I had to leave the gym for good for about 5 months to just get the gym-rat smell out of my system.

The others: I am trying to get started with a vegan diet and get rid of chicken/ and other forms of red meat. I am going to have some fish as a part of my diet as I go forward but will ease this off over a period of time too.

Have been reading good stuff about Spirulina powders as a protein supplement to meat in daily food intake (not using this as a post-work-out drink). What's your take on them?

PS: I will continue my daily diet of 12 egg whites (6-morning/6-nightly) so I dont go below the absolute bare minimum protein I need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
@ Red Circle: great transformation there. Cut up real good.

What cycle and duration?

You are almost unrecognizable!
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
@red circle-
Excellent job!
Share with us the routines you followed along with diet, supplements etc.
Quote:
Redcircle, that is awesome.
Diet and exercise plan.

Astleviz, be careful with the guillotine press. Its not named guillotine just for "lulz".
Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
Amazing Work Redcircle. Keep Pumping. By the way guys, Jay cutler, Phil Heath, dexter Jackson, branch warren to compete in India , Mumbai on the 25th September at taj Lands End. the even is called Sheru Classic, an expo cum competition.

See ya all there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Good god! Red circle, your transformation is awesome and that too in only 5 months.
Do share your workout regime, nutrition and supplementation schedule.

All the best and keep pumping.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks