Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2011, 16:17   #3046
BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Circle View Post
This is the problem with our so called coach/personal trainers, they are just not ready to listen to the person whom they are training. if you think the current workout spilt is working for you and you see results then stick to it. With regard to the muscle soreness, are you not taking any carbs pre and post workout? this could be the main reason that you are not recovering from your workouts! You are already getting about 50 grams of protein from whey so no need to increase it just include some carbs in you pre and post workout meal and also take 500-1000mg of vitamin C pre and post workout, you get these chewable vitamin C tabs in medical stores which costs just Rs1-2 per tab.

You can also try this workout split, with this split on Mon, after the rest on weekend you will be training your biggest muscle legs and on Tue Chest/Tris so that on day 1 you are training lower body and on day 2 upper, again you rest/recover on Wed and on Thu you work your Back/Bis which is another big muscle and lastly hitting the shoulders on Fri should not be that difficult

Mon - Thighs
Tue - Chest & Tris
Wed - Off
Thu - Back and Bis
Fri - Shoulder
Thanks a lot again

For recovery I was concentrating more on Protein, BCAA, Glutamine and almost neglecting carbs.

I will delay my workout time, so that I can consume complex carbs as pre-workout meal. How about having whole grain wheat bread with minimal quantity of peanut butter (Dont wanna cook oats first thing in the morning).

With this change i will stick to current routine (one body part per day) as doing this I dont have to be in Gym for longer duration as compared to 2 body parts a day.
Old 4th August 2011, 16:48   #3047
e46
BHPian

Guys,
this is important and some informed feedback would be appreciated/ helpful.

I had to take pharmacological T (Sustanon, 250mg) since I was diagnosed with low serum T along with all classical symptoms (less strength, fatigue, less interest, general low state pf mind etc). I was also injected hCG (5000 IU) to prevent atrophy.

however 3 days since pinning, and i dont see any noticeable/ perceivable change expected. (more energy, general well being etc).

If anyone of you are aware about this, could you let me know what could be the issue here?
Old 4th August 2011, 17:42   #3048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
Hi kri$hna, giving your post a read, will come back on your query.

Don't lose heart mate.

It's a great thing you've taken the plunge. Do look up two things online, one's a person Mark Rippetoe and the other's a website run by a guy Mehdi, who is inspired by Rippetoe and others: StrongLifts.com: Gain Strength And Muscle While Losing Fat
Hey Mandheers

That is a great website link you shared I have been reading the 5x5 report for a couple of days and plan to take it from next week beginning. I havent hit the gym for past 2 weeks due to travelling.

So like he says, I should just take a little warmup of all muscles and start off with the squats using empty olympic bar ? that means no need to the cardio (i hate that running actually )

I am not sure how do i explain this to the Gym trainer, i guess he ll be mad!!
Any specific precautions that i need to take ? I have never done the squats, presses or lifts ! Heck, heard all these for the first time actually when i read through the site. So little guidance would help a lot here.

Thanks for the link again
Old 4th August 2011, 17:43   #3049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastFieast View Post
Thanks a lot again

For recovery I was concentrating more on Protein, BCAA, Glutamine and almost neglecting carbs.

I will delay my workout time, so that I can consume complex carbs as pre-workout meal. How about having whole grain wheat bread with minimal quantity of peanut butter (Dont wanna cook oats first thing in the morning).

With this change i will stick to current routine (one body part per day) as doing this I dont have to be in Gym for longer duration as compared to 2 body parts a day.
Just like protein, carbs are also importanat for recovery and also strength, since you workout in the morning just after your breakfast I would suggest consume some complex aswell as some quick acting carbs for pre workout and little fats from peanut is also fine and post workout consume quick acting carbs.
Red Circle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2011, 18:37   #3050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
Hey Mandheers

That is a great website link you shared I have been reading the 5x5 report for a couple of days and plan to take it from next week beginning. I havent hit the gym for past 2 weeks due to travelling.

So like he says, I should just take a little warmup of all muscles and start off with the squats using empty olympic bar ? that means no need to the cardio (i hate that running actually )

I am not sure how do i explain this to the Gym trainer, i guess he ll be mad!!
Any specific precautions that i need to take ? I have never done the squats, presses or lifts ! Heck, heard all these for the first time actually when i read through the site. So little guidance would help a lot here.

Thanks for the link again
It sure helped me. I have been lifting a long time and had an old back injury owing to which I had to stop free squats, rows, presses etc.

This website made squatting possible again. I started with the empty bar in April actually and have been squatting until 23rd July, been off gym since then. And this is good weight considering I have not squatted in 3 years, apart from relying on the hack squat.

Started with the empty bar, still do on each workout, and have taken it up to 275lbs, full squat, below parallel, without belt and strict form.

My personal best many years back was 360lbs on squat, and I am far from it now.

The program I have followed is by essentially by Mark Rippetoe and I have only added some arm work to it:

Bodybuilding.com - What Is The Best Rippetoe Workout?

This itself is effective as hell. A foundation strength routine, which although sacrificed a lot of my upper body conditioning but I feel functionally stronger now than before.

Here's another link which I feel every heavy lifter should read:

T NATION | Proper Back Position for Power

If only I had read all this before my injury, but what the hell.

As for cardio, you can search the site, Mehdi has given some very do-able routines, post workout.

Don't worry about not having squatted before, even the heavy lifters learn something new every time they squat. The exercise itself is such!

Also the reason these strength training programs are built around starting with 'empty Olympic bars' as they alone weigh a good 45lbs, and then gradually working your way up weights, that's progressive resistance training. This ensures injury free workouts.

See what works best for you, taking the best from inputs and figure out something which works best for you; that's how building is done.

My training has been in the dumps past 4-5 weeks, with zero in the past 2. All this talk is now getting me itchy again.

Last edited by mandheers : 4th August 2011 at 18:44.
Old 5th August 2011, 06:11   #3051
BHPian

Guys, I need some good information/motivation on how to maintain weight and keep myself focused for working out regularly.

Since last 3-4 years I have been gymming but its an ON/OFF affair and on two different occasions I have lost about 15-16kgs.

Let me give you some insight on my fitness history.

From childhood I have been an active kid (slightly overweight but athletic) and played sports regularly especially cricket through out my school and college life.

It was the year 2008 when I was in the worst shape of my life weighed around 91kgs all thanks to my lovely friends as boozing was the main culprit. Soon I had problems in doing minimal physical activities and one day decided enough of this and hit the gym the first 15 days were tough and had lot of pains but then I started seeing results which encouraged me to go further.

For first 2-3 months it was pure cardio and lost 11 kilos, next 3 months it was cardio and weights mix lost another 3 kilos but gained good shape and plenty of compliments, started feeling very very confident during that time.

But then after 6 months I got shifted to a new project BTW I work in an I/T company So thought to take some time off to understand the new environment. Time flew by and I was off for 6-8 months.

During this time I was not doing almost anything physically regained weight quickly and was back to 90kgs and around but the body shape was not as bad as earlier. Also during this time my marriage was fixed so thought to regain my focus and get back into shape. So this time I hit the gym hard and I mean very hard as I was already aware that I had done it then and I could do now also but this time I wanted to have a six packs , so it started for initial 2 months it was intense cardio and mild weight training, again the results started to show and weight loss started but as I was aspiring for something real high aka Six packs, I hired a personal trainer and started working out in his supervision now followed the period of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). This was mix of Intense cardio+Weight training+alternate day abs training (I started with doing 60-80 reps and finally was able to do around 800 reps). This sort of routine continued for 4 months and results were unbelievable I weighed around 75kgs and gained almost flat tummy and was closing in on my six packs also I was taking fat burners and protein supplements and was on a high protein and medium carb diet.

But just 6 weeks before marriage met with an injury in my lower back and had to discontinue the gym, It took me around 3 months to recover from it and since then I have not been working out at all and weight shot up to 93 my highest till now. Thanks to my appetite (less drinking than 2008 this time) for home cooked food which I guzzled down anytime.

So around 3 months back after being tired of listening from everyone about my weight and pre marriage shape/fitness and not being able to fit in any of my earlier clothes thought to hit the gym, but this time motivation is lacking if I skip Monday I skip that week altogether. So thought of quitting of the Gym and started to workout at home using P90X programme the results have been good just after 3 weeks but I have again not been working out since last 2 weeks due to laziness and some guests arrival at our place

I am trying to take it easy this time and I think that’s the problem as I am not very dedicated to my routine and loose focus easily.

Please suggest me for steps to take and how do I maintain my weight this time so that I don’t have to work hard that much to loose all the gained weight.
Old 16th August 2011, 12:46   #3052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarun83 View Post
Guys, I need some good information/motivation on how to maintain weight and keep myself focused for working out regularly.

Since last 3-4 years I have been gymming but its an ON/OFF affair and on two different occasions I have lost about 15-16kgs. .........

I am trying to take it easy this time and I think that’s the problem as I am not very dedicated to my routine and loose focus easily.

Please suggest me for steps to take and how do I maintain my weight this time so that I don’t have to work hard that much to loose all the gained weight.
The biggest issue with anything is consistency.

If you don't sleep consistently you'll be tired; if you don't eat consistently you will be starved; if you don't bathe consistently you'll get the drift am sure; a strong one at that too.

For us average Joes, it needs a program which can fit into everything else that we cram into our short days, just to keep the consistency going.

Stay put on a 1 day on and 1 day off program, which would mean you lift alternate days only.

I have recommended, and strongly so, this website: StrongLifts.com: Gain Strength And Muscle While Losing Fat

You may refer other valuable posts on this thread too.

The talk on this website will get you started, and basic barbell training is a must for a good solid foundation, which will see you through even weeks on end if you don't lift weights.

Motivation is something that comes from within or from sites like bodybuilding.com, simplyshredded.com etc and videos on youtube.com

Diet should always be clean, whether you lift or not.

Make it a point to take out 45 mins for your body, each day; and that means every single day. These 45 mins more or less will set the hardcore fitness enthusiasts from the occasional. So if you looking at a fitter physique through the year, you will have to commit these 45 mins.

In this time you could lift weights, jog, skip, do free-hand, climb stairs, run, sprint, walk, cycle, swim or do anything that can be done and which is on interest to you.

So, it's not just working out at the gym which ensures you stay fit. Slight modifications to diet, time of meals, sleep etc can ensure you maintain a decent physique. Muscle and tone might keep varying, but that's ok, and better than a complete yo-yo.

Any other way and you'll always find yourself starting from scratch.

Gyms are over-rated actually, if you just do some chin-ups, squats and parallel dips, you are fairly sorted. And don't forget an occasional run or jog.

So there you go.

Now, when do you start?
Old 16th August 2011, 12:49   #3053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarun83 View Post

Since last 3-4 years I have been gymming but its an ON/OFF affair and on two different occasions I have lost about 15-16kgs.

Let me give you some insight on my fitness history.

From childhood I have been an active kid (slightly overweight but athletic) and played sports regularly especially cricket through out my school and college life.

It was the year 2008 when I was in the worst shape of my life weighed around 91kgs all thanks to my lovely friends as boozing was the main culprit. Soon I had problems in doing minimal physical activities and one day decided enough of this and hit the gym the first 15 days were tough and had lot of pains but then I started seeing results which encouraged me to go further.

For first 2-3 months it was pure cardio and lost 11 kilos, next 3 months it was cardio and weights mix lost another 3 kilos but gained good shape and plenty of compliments, started feeling very very confident during that time.

But then after 6 months I got shifted to a new project BTW I work in an I/T company So thought to take some time off to understand the new environment. Time flew by and I was off for 6-8 months.

During this time I was not doing almost anything physically regained weight quickly and was back to 90kgs and around but the body shape was not as bad as earlier. Also during this time my marriage was fixed so thought to regain my focus and get back into shape. So this time I hit the gym hard and I mean very hard as I was already aware that I had done it then and I could do now also but this time I wanted to have a six packs , so it started for initial 2 months it was intense cardio and mild weight training, again the results started to show and weight loss started but as I was aspiring for something real high aka Six packs, I hired a personal trainer and started working out in his supervision now followed the period of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). This was mix of Intense cardio+Weight training+alternate day abs training (I started with doing 60-80 reps and finally was able to do around 800 reps). This sort of routine continued for 4 months and results were unbelievable I weighed around 75kgs and gained almost flat tummy and was closing in on my six packs also I was taking fat burners and protein supplements and was on a high protein and medium carb diet.

But just 6 weeks before marriage met with an injury in my lower back and had to discontinue the gym, It took me around 3 months to recover from it and since then I have not been working out at all and weight shot up to 93 my highest till now. Thanks to my appetite (less drinking than 2008 this time) for home cooked food which I guzzled down anytime.

So around 3 months back after being tired of listening from everyone about my weight and pre marriage shape/fitness and not being able to fit in any of my earlier clothes thought to hit the gym, but this time motivation is lacking if I skip Monday I skip that week altogether. So thought of quitting of the Gym and started to workout at home using P90X programme the results have been good just after 3 weeks but I have again not been working out since last 2 weeks due to laziness and some guests arrival at our place

ok since no one has answered I will try,

First thing I suggest you is to find out your Lean Body Mass, it is difficult to find the exact number when you are on higher side of body fat but a close approximate should be fine.

Next is to structure your diet on your LBM, To loose weight try consuming 14cals per pound of LBM, ex if your LBM is 100 pounds you will be consuming 100x14=1400 cals

Since you have already tried High protein Moderate carbs diet with good results stick to the same diet and workout regimen

Once you have lost the desired amount of weight and you are happy with your physical condition slowly increase your calories to a max of 17cals per LBM and this would be your weight maintenance cals, again stick to High protein Moderate carbs.

Finally the motivation you need to hit the gym, I would say it should come from within, either you want to achieve someting or you dont want to, there is nothing in between absolutely nothing! Go to youtube there are hundreds of videos on motivation, if you are on facebook there are lots of groups on motivation so this should get you started, good luck!
Old 17th August 2011, 22:00   #3054
BHPian

I think this is one very interesting thread. My question is not about body building supplements but instead it is about losing weight and building healthy body and fat free.

Hi friends please help me in reducing weight. I am 26 years and 6 feet. I am in excess of the actual weight by 25 kgs. Can some one help on this.

I have currently started with walking and that too very rarely i walk.

I am not interested in joining any gym. I would prefer walking and as well as some aerobics. Please suggest me an idea/plan for scheduled weight loss.
Old 18th August 2011, 10:37   #3055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
I think this is one very interesting thread. My question is not about body building supplements but instead it is about losing weight and building healthy body and fat free.

Hi friends please help me in reducing weight. I am 26 years and 6 feet. I am in excess of the actual weight by 25 kgs. Can some one help on this.

I have currently started with walking and that too very rarely i walk.

I am not interested in joining any gym. I would prefer walking and as well as some aerobics. Please suggest me an idea/plan for scheduled weight loss.
The thread is about bodybuilding, exercises, and supplements.

25kgs is a lot to be reduced with 'walking rarely' and being 'not interested' in a gym or similar exercises.

You will first need to see a qualified nutritionist, for a balanced diet plan since you are still very young.

Read through other posts and see what suits you best. Start eating clean, don't crash diet to lose weight.

Scheduled weight loss is only possible with progressive training; be it resistance or endurance. In resistance you will need to lift weights, and heavier each time you lift, with endurance you will have to walk/run, slightly longer each time you walk/run.

Google a bit, read what suits your needs and then see where that takes you over a 90 day period.

Avoid posting vague since nobody on this forum or elsewhere can give you a magic formula/plan to drop 25 kgs in 25 days.

All the best!
Old 18th August 2011, 20:25   #3056
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
The thread is about bodybuilding, exercises, and supplements.

25kgs is a lot to be reduced with 'walking rarely' and being 'not interested' in a gym or similar exercises.

You will first need to see a qualified nutritionist, for a balanced diet plan since you are still very young.

Read through other posts and see what suits you best. Start eating clean, don't crash diet to lose weight.

Scheduled weight loss is only possible with progressive training; be it resistance or endurance. In resistance you will need to lift weights, and heavier each time you lift, with endurance you will have to walk/run, slightly longer each time you walk/run.

Google a bit, read what suits your needs and then see where that takes you over a 90 day period.

Avoid posting vague since nobody on this forum or elsewhere can give you a magic formula/plan to drop 25 kgs in 25 days.

All the best!

I never asked about any magic formula for reducing weight in 25 days or so. I am very well aware that those things are not possible. I have already consulted a nutritionist and will be soon starting with the prescribed diet and exercises like cycling, walking and aerobics.
Old 29th August 2011, 17:30   #3057
BHPian

While i am very particular about my diet now, i am bit relax with my workout schedule. I am hardly doing 2-3 sessions per week.

While in 3 sessions i do the workout of all body parts, but with 2 sessions dont know what to do.

Searching on internet suggests, for 2 workout a week a complete full body workout is better and in that case instead of isolated exercises, compound exercises are suggested.

Can someone please help with their experience, what could be a good 2 days a week workout and what kind of exercises to perform.

My goal is to remain lean with in-shape muscles, getting size / bulk is not the goal.
Old 29th August 2011, 18:03   #3058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastFieast View Post
While i am very particular about my diet now, i am bit relax with my workout schedule. I am hardly doing 2-3 sessions per week.

While in 3 sessions i do the workout of all body parts, but with 2 sessions dont know what to do.

Searching on internet suggests, for 2 workout a week a complete full body workout is better and in that case instead of isolated exercises, compound exercises are suggested.

Can someone please help with their experience, what could be a good 2 days a week workout and what kind of exercises to perform.

My goal is to remain lean with in-shape muscles, getting size / bulk is not the goal.
If you looking at strength and being muscular then look up:

T NATION | 2 Times a Week for Twice the Gains

The natural bodybuilder benefits from adequate rest & recovery and a 3-4 day per week program is also optimal.

But any lower and you need to feed the neuromuscular structure with enough fuel to keep the body in a near primed state and that can only be done with moderately heavy complexes; mostly compounds.

Whether you pack on bulk or stay lean will solely depend on your choice of food, supplements and amount of cardio.

Have fun!
mandheers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 22:14   #3059
BHPian

Never knew such threads existed on tbhp!

I'm 5'10" and weight about 58 kg. I hit the gym everyday and my eating habits aren't so bad but i'm having a tough time gaining weight, I started taking ON Whey ( around 4 scoops a day ) seen some improvement but not much. Is ON serious mass a worthy buy? because the container says 12lbs has just 4 servings, I'm not sure if I can digest so many calories at once. Please fill in

Ps: i buy ON 2lbs at Rs.1800 from healthkart.com which i guess is the cheapest rate on the internet, can anybody shed some light if i can get it for a cheaper price ? I'm from Hyderabad btw.
Old 2nd September 2011, 08:48   #3060
BHPian

In order to gain quality weight (i.e. Muscle) you need to eat 7 times a day. Serious Mass is crap. Just make sure you're taking a rock solid Multivitamin/Mineral formula, high class milk protein , BCAA's (Intra-Workout) and eating atleast 7 meals a day loaded with Complex Carbs, Protein and Healthy Fats.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks