Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2012, 23:20   #3196
BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshayasok View Post
I would recommend doing it in the mornings. You will be amazed how energetic you would feel throughout the whole day.
To all, I have finally started working out.

I am sticking to basics as of now (1 body part a day). 10mins of treadmill (combo of brisk walking & running @ 7.5). This is followed by light stretching > followed by workout.

My goal is gaining muscle mass so i am doing like 4/5 reps (15, 12, 10, 10, 8) of each exercise. Every next rep, i increase the weight. Now i start off with something that i know i can lift like 15 times, and then gradually increase the weight. With few exercises, i stick to same weight for every rep coz i really get into fatigue if i go in for higher weights.
The plan is to do a 4 week run and see the results. For this, i have started to write down the "weight x sets" for each rep for each exercise.

Nutrition:
For the time being, I am not making changes to what i eat at home. what i eat at office is where the change has taken place. Sandwich (brown bread, no cheese), juice (no sugar), rolls (egg / chicken / both) are some of the stuff i eat while in office.
Down the line, i am planning to add protein to every meal & cut down on oil / ghee. The goal is to have each meal with 40% protein + 40% carbs + 20% natural fats.

How far or how long will this go?
To be honest, i am famous for leaving things in between & thats why this post.

Current progress
Bench press this week was a total of 25kg (including rod weight)

Any mods / suggestions to the above are more than welcome.
Old 25th June 2012, 19:20   #3197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post

My goal is gaining muscle mass so i am doing like 4/5 reps (15, 12, 10, 10, 8) of each exercise. Every next rep, i increase the weight. Now i start off with something that i know i can lift like 15 times, and then gradually increase the weight. With few exercises, i stick to same weight for every rep coz i really get into fatigue if i go in for higher weights.
The plan is to do a 4 week run and see the results. For this, i have started to write down the "weight x sets" for each rep for each exercise.

What you call as REP here is actually a SET.

Nutrition:
For the time being, I am not making changes to what i eat at home. what i eat at office is where the change has taken place. Sandwich (brown bread, no cheese), juice (no sugar), rolls (egg / chicken / both) are some of the stuff i eat while in office.
Down the line, i am planning to add protein to every meal & cut down on oil / ghee. The goal is to have each meal with 40% protein + 40% carbs + 20% natural fats.

How far or how long will this go?
To be honest, i am famous for leaving things in between & thats why this post.

This part needs the most modification. You have to have a stronger attitude and will to succeed at this.

You should first figure out a workout plan. Read thru this thread and other resources available to learn about how to do it. From your Bench press figures, I think you need STRENGTH more than anything else to start with.
IMO, you should be trying out a 5X5 routine. Search "Starting Strength".

It is okay for a beginner to quote bench press figures, but please be aware that your actual strength should be measured by Deadlift/Squat figures. Pls put up the program you are doing currently - exercices, sets, reps - to get a correct analysis from gurus here.

P.S. I am not an expert. I can pitch in with my two cents though.
Old 26th June 2012, 13:53   #3198
BHPian

I'm using amway protein Amway India : NUTRILITE® Protein Family Pack (1Kg) since last week. Does anybody know about this protein powder product.
Old 26th June 2012, 14:57   #3199
Senior - BHPian

Any decent Gym @ BTM 2nd Stage?
Old 26th June 2012, 15:01   #3200
Team-BHP Support

Anybody wants some inspiration to exercise?

BBC News - Ernestine Shepherd: The 75-year-old bodybuilding grandma
Old 26th June 2012, 16:51   #3201
BHPian

How does one manage equal strength in both the left and right halves of the body? The problem i face is when doing individual curls in each arm and also when doing other leg exercises.
Ive been trying for quite sometime, but im not at all able to match the reps in both arms or both legs. If i do 10 15 reps of curls in my right arm the left one cannot do more than 8 to 10. Similarly in case of one legged squats.
Its like i feel weakness from my left forearm and not able to pull up the weight.

Does anyone else face this problem? Im really flustered because my right arm has got some development of the biceps now and even the forearm feels stronger, but my left arm doesnt show much significant changes.

Hope im able to put across my doubt clearly.
P.s im right handed if that is relevant. I really want to match the growths on both sides of the body.

Thanks

P.p.s i noticed ive got withdrawal symptoms from redbull. I had a redbull the other night to stay up for some work. And its been one day and today i wasnt able to stay awake for more than half an hour at a stretch. Finaly slept till 2pm and somewhat took a second bath. Feeling better. Has anyone faced this?

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 26th June 2012 at 16:53.
Old 27th June 2012, 10:28   #3202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post

P.p.s i noticed ive got withdrawal symptoms from redbull. I had a redbull the other night to stay up for some work. And its been one day and today i wasnt able to stay awake for more than half an hour at a stretch. Finaly slept till 2pm and somewhat took a second bath. Feeling better. Has anyone faced this?

your body is just compensating for the sleep hours that you have lost , not a redbull syndrome , these things happen when you been sleeping less
Old 30th June 2012, 08:34   #3203
Senior - BHPian

Anyone tried Power Whey Complex from BioX?
Old 30th June 2012, 17:50   #3204
BHPian

Which Whey Protein would be recommended for weight gain?

Height is 5.11 and weight is 60Kg which I need to push upwards by atleast 10Kg. I go to a gym 3-4 times a week and have previously tried ON Serious Mass and did manage to gain 4-5 Kgs. but then stopped taking it after 3-4months.

Is ON 100% Whey good for gaining weight or should I continue Serious Mass?
Old 30th June 2012, 21:13   #3205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearOn View Post
Which Whey Protein would be recommended for weight gain?

Height is 5.11 and weight is 60Kg which I need to push upwards by atleast 10Kg. I go to a gym 3-4 times a week and have previously tried ON Serious Mass and did manage to gain 4-5 Kgs. but then stopped taking it after 3-4months.

Is ON 100% Whey good for gaining weight or should I continue Serious Mass?
For weight gain (or should I call Muscle gain), you need more carbs - it's more important than protein. Multiply your weight in pounds by 20 and that's the amount of calories you need to pack on some serious mass to your frame. Of that calories, 50% should be coming from carbs, 30% protein and remaining 20% from fat. While ON whey is way overhyped and overpriced, Serious Mass is outright junk. Concentrate on real meals - spaced every 3 hours apart and bulk of your calories should be coming from baked potatoes, sweet potatoes, whole eggs (including yolks), cereals and healthy fats.
Old 5th July 2012, 00:47   #3206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshayasok View Post
WARNING - Long Post

If anyone is thinking about starting supplements, here are a few beginner tips for post workout recovery supplements

If you have any questions regarding any other supplements, please feel free to ask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowaby View Post
Just my two cents here.

Creatin is an amazing supplement.

The above article has been compiled out of my personal Experience from comsuming Creatin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
Whey protein alone is nothing special and it has always been an overrated supplement.
Last but not least, stay away from Tofu and any other soy containing foods. They're phtoestrogenic and may lead to estrogen elevation which you don't want.
Thanks people for very good insight. I have a question regarding creatin. is it vegetarian or contain non vegetarian extracts (including egg extract). I am pure vegetarian (not even egg eaterian) so kind of confused if to buy creatin or not. Been working out kind of regularly but if i see people who take creatin and work out, they have pretty good strength. Even they told, after taking creatin we are able to lift higher weights. Gym instructor advised that most of creatin contain non-veg extract except may be creatin by dymatize.ay idea if this is veg or any other veg alternative brands for creatin

I was feeling tired and restless for some days and wasn't able to gym properly. Instructor advised to take Becadexamin multi vitamin tablet. any one has tried it? any ill effects of same and is it vegetarian

Thanks very much in advance for valuable replies
Old 5th July 2012, 07:14   #3207
Senior - BHPian

I have been taking Becadexamin for many years and its veg. Cheaper that Bcosules too. Creatine is veg too.
Old 5th July 2012, 22:37   #3208
BHPian

Creatine is 100% VEG since it's manufactured synthetically from Sarcosine.
Old 18th July 2012, 14:05   #3209

One question on Epimedium. Does T-boosters use this in their composition? I only see tribulus based t-boosters being pitched mostly.

A reference on Epimedium / Horny Goat Weed:
Epimedium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 25th July 2012, 03:49   #3210
BHPian

hi

has anyone ordered resistance bands in India. I bought, without any research, a brand called tunturi from Lodhi Sports here in delhi today for Rs.1800. had three tubes (one standard, one figure 8 and one circle). the figure 8 snapped in the first workout. But I really like the workout with resistance bands, and want to buy some quality ones, which don't snap that easily and offer good resistance (nike etc. ofer fairly light resistance bands).

Ideally I would want to buy in India itself, but I can get things shipped from US/UK, so recommendations can also include things available in US/UK.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks