Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2012, 10:14   #3241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Feel like a David among so many Goliaths here Or am I not on the right thread?

Since I'm not into much high tempo music, can anyone please suggest me some of them (albums? or otherwise) which could keep my tempo up on the elliptical. I tend to loose motivation fast during the high intensity phase, as I am a beginner.
Old 21st October 2012, 14:27   #3242
Senior - BHPian

Experts - Please let me know what you feel about my diet. My aim is mainly to lose fat. I'm 175cm and 75kg with fat deposits on my hips and lower tummy.

8 am: Wake up
8:30 am: Black Coffee
9:30 am: Breakfast - 30-40gms of Oats in water and little (any)masala to taste and 2 boiled egg whites.
1 pm: Lunch - 2 Chapatis with oil less/very low oil curry and 2 boiled egg whites
5 pm: Fruits
~7:30pm - Gym
9pm: Dinner - 2 scoops of whey protein, a large bowl of cucumber and tomato salad, 1 chapati with oil less/very low oil curry.
Late night: If hungry, few roasted peanuts.
12:30-1 am: Go to bed.
Old 21st October 2012, 17:00   #3243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
9:30 am: Breakfast - 30-40gms of Oats in water and little (any)masala to taste and 2 boiled egg whites.
1 pm: Lunch - 2 Chapatis with oil less/very low oil curry and 2 boiled egg whites
9pm: Dinner - 2 scoops of whey protein, a large bowl of cucumber and tomato salad, 1 chapati with oil less/very low oil curry.
Hello blue_pulsar,

I put forward the knowledge i gained from my experience. I feel this diet it little extreme for your bmi(http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi_scripts/...ubmit_m=Submit),

You are not extremely obese & want to remove those extra fat(visceral, under the skin). Eat what you want, at the same time split your meals(proper ones) into 5 per days and hit the gym(weight training, followed up by cardio to hit the fat burning process)

What kind of exercise do you perform at the gym? More of cardio or muscle training? Try to consume a high carb diet preferably 1.5 hours before working out at the gym. Fruits(appetizer) will make your seriously hungry during the gym session.

You have to sleep for atleast 8 hours, try to finish your dinner before 8 PM and go to be by 11 PM.

Rgds,
Vinod
Old 21st October 2012, 17:36   #3244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Hello blue_pulsar,

I put forward the knowledge i gained from my experience. I feel this diet it little extreme for your bmi(http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi_scripts/...ubmit_m=Submit),

You are not extremely obese & want to remove those extra fat(visceral, under the skin). Eat what you want, at the same time split your meals(proper ones) into 5 per days and hit the gym(weight training, followed up by cardio to hit the fat burning process)

What kind of exercise do you perform at the gym? More of cardio or muscle training? Try to consume a high carb diet preferably 1.5 hours before working out at the gym. Fruits(appetizer) will make your seriously hungry during the gym session.

You have to sleep for atleast 8 hours, try to finish your dinner before 8 PM and go to be by 11 PM.

Rgds,
Vinod
Hello Mr_Bean,

Thanks for the response!!!

I'm sorry, I forgot one more thing. 20 min before I hit the gym, I eat one plain slice of wheat bread. That will actually give me energy in the gym.

In the gym - 3 days a week, circuit strength training followed by cardio and 2-3 other days a week, just cardio. Rest for 1-2 day(s).

Actually, the fat looks more odd than it sounds. Let me give you a little bit of my history. I used to be really obese. That fat around the tummy and hips has not melted the way it has at other places. At my peak, I was 100kg. Close to 3 years of working out and healthy diet has got me here. Tummy had definitely gone down. Used to wear 42" pants (formal pants). Now, I wear 34" pants in the same brand. Out of the ~3 years of workout, I have been doing strength training for only 7-8 months. Used to foolishly do just cardio before. So muscle is pretty low (not abnormally low/ like a stick). Low muscle is genetic too and the fact that I'm a veggie doesn't help either. The strength training has definitely given a harder feel to my chests and arms. But it doesn't show.

Regarding the diet, I used to do like you suggested. But I hit the wall at around 78-79kgs. No amount of exercise was helping. Now this strict diet along with hard (by my standards) working out has got me here in ~2 months. Never relaxed on diet for the last 2 months. Pants have gotten looser for sure.

Coming back to my question. I'm kinda getting desperate to flatten my tummy. Anything to modify my diet so that it will help me burn fat better?

Any suggestions for a tried and tested, safe fat burner?

Thanks!

Folks, I missed one thing in my diet. I have added it and it is underlined.
Quote:
Experts - Please let me know what you feel about my diet. My aim is mainly to lose fat. I'm 175cm and 75kg with fat deposits on my hips and lower tummy.

~7 pm: One plain slice of whole wheat bread.
Old 30th October 2012, 11:44   #3245
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Mr_Bean,

I'm sorry, I forgot one more thing. 20 min before I hit the gym, I eat one plain slice of wheat bread. That will actually give me energy in the gym.

In the gym - 3 days a week, circuit strength training followed by cardio and 2-3 other days a week, just cardio. Rest for 1-2 day(s).

Actually, the fat looks more odd than it sounds. Let me give you a little bit of my history. I used to be really obese. That fat around the tummy and hips has not melted the way it has at other places. At my peak, I was 100kg. Close to 3 years of working out and healthy diet has got me here. Tummy had definitely gone down. Used to wear 42" pants (formal pants). Now, I wear 34" pants in the same brand. Out of the ~3 years of workout, I have been doing strength training for only 7-8 months. Used to foolishly do just cardio before. So muscle is pretty low (not abnormally low/ like a stick). Low muscle is genetic too and the fact that I'm a veggie doesn't help either. The strength training has definitely given a harder feel to my chests and arms. But it doesn't show.

Regarding the diet, I used to do like you suggested. But I hit the wall at around 78-79kgs. No amount of exercise was helping. Now this strict diet along with hard (by my standards) working out has got me here in ~2 months. Never relaxed on diet for the last 2 months. Pants have gotten looser for sure.

Coming back to my question. I'm kinda getting desperate to flatten my tummy. Anything to modify my diet so that it will help me burn fat better?

Thanks!

Bowl of oats, 1 bread, 3 roti's, cucumber, tomato, 2 portions of curry and a few nuts. There's barely 1500 calories or less in there. Assuming you shed a further 200-300 calories during the work out, you will have supplied a little over 1100 calories to your body at the end of the day. That is really harsh and will do you more harm than good. I made that mistake. Your body will reserve those precious little for the vitals and reduce supplies to non-essentials like hair, nails etc. You don't want that to happen.

I concur with the rest. Include some rice in your diet and breakfast should be when you need to be having it. Make sure your breakfast gives you no less than 400 calories.

Here's what works for me. I regard a slice of bread as '100 calories' and not 'just bread' and that helps me keep track. Make a list of what you eat during Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Look up the calories of those a couple of times and that'll enable you to tell how many calories you've had.
Old 30th October 2012, 13:27   #3246
Senior - BHPian

Blue Pulsar,

I am not an expert but I think now you need more of weight / strength training for quadriceps , calf muscles and gluts and core excercises to bring back the shape. Serach on youtube for core muscle exercise.

You need to divide the target muscle groups in to days of workout , An example is given below but you can have any other schedule which suits you.

Day 1 for 10mts Cardio + upper body ( atleast targeting 5-6 muscle groups with 3 sets of 12-15 reps) + streaching + lower back+ followed by 10-20 mts cardio.

Day 2 for 10mts cardio + lower body ( atleast target 4-5 muscle groups
with 3 sets of 12-15 reps) + abs and core followed by 15-20 mts cardio.

Day 3 : Long low intensity cardio of 45 mts.

Day 4 , 5 choose either same schedule as a day 1 and 2 or a different mix for a different segment.

For lower body do half situps 15 -20 X3 times as warmup. then lunges holding weights in hand start with 5KG and go up as the strength increases followed by strength exercises for quads , gluts and claf.

Core excercises are very very important do either on floor or using gym ball.

PS : Do not choose too heavy weights for first 3-4 weeks as a lot of weight initally can causes myoglobin in urine for many people drink a lot of water.

Regards

Quote:
Hello Mr_Bean,

Thanks!

Last edited by amitk26 : 30th October 2012 at 13:37.
Old 30th October 2012, 13:45   #3247
BHPian

I'm looking to change my gym. It'll be helpful to me if anyone would recommend one that is in or near 7th block Jayanagar, Bangalore (Under Rs. 1,000 p.m)

Reason: The gym I now use, Emerge is fine, except that the instructor plays very very loud music. Imagine listening to loud music with high bass for over an hour.

Hope I posted in the correct section.
Old 1st November 2012, 13:08   #3248
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the response folks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Bowl of oats, 1 bread, 3 roti's, cucumber, tomato, 2 portions of curry and a few nuts. There's barely 1500 calories or less in there. Assuming you shed a further 200-300 calories during the work out, you will have supplied a little over 1100 calories to your body at the end of the day. That is really harsh and will do you more harm than good. I made that mistake. Your body will reserve those precious little for the vitals and reduce supplies to non-essentials like hair, nails etc. You don't want that to happen.

I concur with the rest. Include some rice in your diet and breakfast should be when you need to be having it. Make sure your breakfast gives you no less than 400 calories.

Here's what works for me. I regard a slice of bread as '100 calories' and not 'just bread' and that helps me keep track. Make a list of what you eat during Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Look up the calories of those a couple of times and that'll enable you to tell how many calories you've had.
True, that's some serious restriction. But shouldn't one control carbs? And I strictly maintained this diet even on weekends.

I was on this diet very strict for around 40 days before I broke it 4 days back.
I lost around 2 inches of tummy . I'm not exactly keeping track of weight. Waist size is my main indicator.

Yes, I'm relaxing my diet for a week and getting back on a 'modified' diet with more intense workout. I'd like to lose 3-4 inches more.

Wouldn't the protein in my diet take care of my hair, nails etc? I take a multivitamin daily.

Probably I can add 2 more egg whites, let me see. But I would definitely like to keep carbs down to a minimum. I want to substitute that with something. Not sure what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Blue Pulsar,

I am not an expert but I think now you need more of weight / strength training for quadriceps , calf muscles and gluts and core excercises to bring back the shape. Serach on Youtube for core muscle exercise.

You need to divide the target muscle groups in to days of workout , An example is given below but you can have any other schedule which suits you.

Day 1 for 10mts Cardio + upper body ( atleast targeting 5-6 muscle groups with 3 sets of 12-15 reps) + streaching + lower back+ followed by 10-20 mts cardio.

Day 2 for 10mts cardio + lower body ( atleast target 4-5 muscle groups
with 3 sets of 12-15 reps) + abs and core followed by 15-20 mts cardio.

Day 3 : Long low intensity cardio of 45 mts.

Day 4 , 5 choose either same schedule as a day 1 and 2 or a different mix for a different segment.

For lower body do half situps 15 -20 X3 times as warmup. then lunges holding weights in hand start with 5KG and go up as the strength increases followed by strength exercises for quads , gluts and claf.

Core excercises are very very important do either on floor or using gym ball.

PS : Do not choose too heavy weights for first 3-4 weeks as a lot of weight initally can causes myoglobin in urine for many people drink a lot of water.

Regards
Yes, I'm concentrating on my core strength. The push-ups, squats, assisted pull-ups and recently introduced deadlifts are very much a part of my weights day. My core was really weak.
At the beginning of 2012, I couldn't do even a single push-up. Now I can do 10*3.
Am working on the pull-up now. I use the assisted pull-ups. Gradually reducing the assisted weights. But cannot lift myself completely yet, without assistance.
I'm comfortable with squats that ever and recently started working on the deadlift as well.

Can you please enlighten me on the myoglobin in urine and the risks associated? I'm totally unaware of this.
Old 2nd November 2012, 08:34   #3249
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the response folks!!!

True, that's some serious restriction. But shouldn't one control carbs? And I strictly maintained this diet even on weekends.

I was on this diet very strict for around 40 days before I broke it 4 days back.
I lost around 2 inches of tummy . I'm not exactly keeping track of weight. Waist size is my main indicator.

Yes, I'm relaxing my diet for a week and getting back on a 'modified' diet with more intense workout. I'd like to lose 3-4 inches more.

Wouldn't the protein in my diet take care of my hair, nails etc? I take a multivitamin daily.

Probably I can add 2 more egg whites, let me see. But I would definitely like to keep carbs down to a minimum. I want to substitute that with something. Not sure what.
I would suggest that you aim to reduce gradually. Control of carb intake is necessary, but you appear to be having less than 20% of what the body needs.

In my experience, one day of fasting has yielded better results than all 7 days of it.

Your intake currently - 1100 x 7 = 7,700
Normal - 2,200 x 7 = 15,400

My suggestion - 2,000 x 6 = 12,000 , 0 x 1 = 0 (Ekadasi) OR
1,800 x 6 = 10,800, 0 x 1 = 0 (Ekadasi)

1st one = 20% reduction or 3,400 calories per day. This isn't very harsh.
2nd one = 30% reduction or 4,600 calories per day. If you really need to.
Currently = 50% reduction or 7,700 calories per day. Really steep.

As you near your target, you will need to switch to <5% reduction per day, else you'll start losing muscles.
Old 3rd November 2012, 14:41   #3250
BHPian

I meant WEEK not 'DAY' in the previous post.

Here's an article about a weight loss experiment that entirely goes against what I have suggested to you.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...495396/?page=1
Old 8th November 2012, 16:51   #3251
BHPian

Hi Friends,
Help needed. I was a regular gym goer before 3 years and my regularity had gone for a toss in the last 3 years due to various commitments. Now started lifting again with determination and I'm sure that the determination will not wade off. Now coming to my queries, I've never taken any supplements till now. Thinking of getting into supplements now. Basically, I lack the energy to do a full fledged lifting session for one hour. Will creatine monohydrate help here? And, any reviews on 'Matrix nutrition Anabolic Whey'? Here is the link .Most of the whey proteins seem to be too costly and I want to try some reasonably priced ones to get a hang of supplements and their benefits.
Old 17th November 2012, 16:18   #3252
BHPian

Quote:

Hello blue_pulsar, so you are 75 kilos @ 175 cms, which is decent tall and very lean overall am assuming.

I read through the string of posts and responses, just need to understand what is your age and what is it you do when you say strength training; plz share the 'circuit' details.

Lest I forget- less muscle is very little to do with genetic and more to do with what you push your body for.

Get into a natural progression, decide what you want to achieve:- lift more in the gym or look more muscular and aesthetically swole.

There will be two different schools of thought here, former being strength training which is about functional musculature and latter being bodybuilding which is usually interpreted as ‘big biceps’.

Right now I will only concentrate on the diet bit and try aiding with what little I know; sorry I don't count calories, you should'nt either unless you are Jane Fonda or a ripped-as-hell muscular IFBB pro.

Responding to your timetable:

8 am: Wake up (good morning)
8:30 am: Black Coffee (avoid sugar, and take coffee only if you feel it helps or else chuck it for a month, for a change)
9:30 am: Breakfast - 30-40gms of Oats in water and little (any)masala to taste and 2 boiled egg whites. (breakfast is ok, but 90 mins is too late, eat a small meal within first half hour of waking, apple+oats+protein or just apple+protein, add a multivitamin/mineral to breakfast)
1 pm: Lunch - 2 Chapatis with oil less/very low oil curry and 2 boiled egg whites (too long a gap from breakfast to lunch, squeeze in a snack at 11, say a sandwich or something boiled, for lunch double the number of egg whites and try boiled or steamed veggies)
5 pm: Fruits (not required, any fruits or simple sugars consumed later in the day get retained, switch to oats or a sandwich or egg whites or boiled soyabean nuggets, and throw in that black coffee here, you’ll feel it in the gym)
7 pm: One plain slice of whole wheat bread. (switch to a scoop of protein; protein blend, preferably; with skimmed milk or water)
7:30pm – Gym (train weights first, let me know what you do inside the gym, exercises, reps and sets of it, cardio only moderate intensity to be done post weight training, for under 30 mins)
9pm: Dinner - 2 scoops of whey protein, a large bowl of cucumber and tomato salad, 1 chapati with oil less/very low oil curry. (what whey do you take? make it one scoop here, and immediately postworkout, add paneer+soyabean+egg whites to the salad and some more veggies like broccoli etc, add some leafy greens if you want)
Late night: If hungry, few roasted peanuts. (get lean paneer or boil soyabean nuggets and keep by your bedside or in the ref, eat a portion before retiring)
12:30-1 am: Go to bed. (good night)

Once you come back with details we will see how training can help break the plateau.

It’s not as much about what you do inside of gym as outside, but it does matter.

Carbs are not to be avoided, just the type of carbs to be checked. Stick to carbs more from veggies than fruits, and more complex carbs than simple. The only thing you need to keep a measure of should be amount of quality protein and carbs you ingest. Ratio to be maintained should be roughly 1:2, for protein to carbs. Amount of protein per day is roughly 1-1.5 gram per kilo bodyweight.

The simplest thing we need to do is treat day-end and day-beginning as pre and post workout too, and structure meals accordingly. Need to enter and break fast intelligently so that the body doesn't store up on much of the unwanted in the unsightly places.

Hope this helps man, keep pushing!!

Last edited by mandheers : 17th November 2012 at 16:26.
Old 17th November 2012, 17:30   #3253
Senior - BHPian

Hello mandheers, thanks for the elaborate response!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
Hello blue_pulsar, so you are 75 kilos @ 175 cms, which is decent tall and very lean overall am assuming.
Not 'lean'. I'm skinny fat right now.
My hands are lean but the lower tummy fat means I don't look that lean.

Quote:
I read through the string of posts and responses, just need to understand what is your age and what is it you do when you say strength training; plz share the 'circuit' details.

Lest I forget- less muscle is very little to do with genetic and more to do with what you push your body for.

Get into a natural progression, decide what you want to achieve:- lift more in the gym or look more muscular and aesthetically swole.
I'm 28 years old.

Circuit training: Usually 2 chest, 2 back, 2 legs and 1 or 2 shoulder exercises. But I'm done with this routine now. Somehow I didn't like this at all.

For the last 2 weeks, I have been concentrating on squats, deadifts and bench press. I learnt from few websites that these are the core exercises that one MUST do. I do have a weak core. I just manage to do 10x3 push-ups on any day. So before I go any further with others, I'm planning to progress with these three and some more split routines.
Day 1 - Chest and Shoulders (Mandatorily bench press and shoulder press) + 30 min cardio
Cardio day - 45-60 min cardio depending on energy.
Day 2 - Legs and back (Mandatorily squats and deadlift) + 30 min cardio
Repeat
(Just managed to do 110lb deadlift (7/6/7 rep) and 90lb squat (9/8/8 rep) yesterday. You guys must by LOL but like I said I have a weak core and am working on it.)

Planning to continue this till December end.

From January,I'm planning to start StrongLifts 5x5 program. Any suggestions on this? (or may be something better) ?

Quote:
There will be two different schools of thought here, former being strength training which is about functional musculature and latter being bodybuilding which is usually interpreted as ‘big biceps’.
I'm more inclined towards lean muscle now. Want to look in shape but not bulky. Want to gain lot of strength. 200lb squat and deadlift is my first goal now. At the same time, burn fat. Lose my lower tummy. Only then will the lean muscle look good, isn't it?
Also, I want to add some muscle to my arms. They look lean.

Quote:
Right now I will only concentrate on the diet bit and try aiding with what little I know; sorry I don't count calories, you should'nt either unless you are Jane Fonda or a ripped-as-hell muscular IFBB pro.

Responding to your timetable:

8 am: Wake up (good morning)
8:30 am: Black Coffee (avoid sugar, and take coffee only if you feel it helps or else chuck it for a month, for a change)
9:30 am: Breakfast - 30-40gms of Oats in water and little (any)masala to taste and 2 boiled egg whites. (breakfast is ok, but 90 mins is too late, eat a small meal within first half hour of waking, apple+oats+protein or just apple+protein, add a multivitamin/mineral to breakfast)
1 pm: Lunch - 2 Chapatis with oil less/very low oil curry and 2 boiled egg whites (too long a gap from breakfast to lunch, squeeze in a snack at 11, say a sandwich or something boiled, for lunch double the number of egg whites and try boiled or steamed veggies)
5 pm: Fruits (not required, any fruits or simple sugars consumed later in the day get retained, switch to oats or a sandwich or egg whites or boiled soyabean nuggets, and throw in that black coffee here, you’ll feel it in the gym)
7 pm: One plain slice of whole wheat bread. (switch to a scoop of protein; protein blend, preferably; with skimmed milk or water)
7:30pm – Gym (train weights first, let me know what you do inside the gym, exercises, reps and sets of it, cardio only moderate intensity to be done post weight training, for under 30 mins)
9pm: Dinner - 2 scoops of whey protein, a large bowl of cucumber and tomato salad, 1 chapati with oil less/very low oil curry. (what whey do you take? make it one scoop here, and immediately postworkout, add paneer+soyabean+egg whites to the salad and some more veggies like broccoli etc, add some leafy greens if you want)
Late night: If hungry, few roasted peanuts. (get lean paneer or boil soyabean nuggets and keep by your bedside or in the ref, eat a portion before retiring)
12:30-1 am: Go to bed. (good night)

Once you come back with details we will see how training can help break the plateau.

It’s not as much about what you do inside of gym as outside, but it does matter.
That's a very nice diet. I can easily follow it.
I use any whey protein, but American brand. ON, EAS, Universal etc. I found Myofusion too 'heavy' on my digestion, not sure why.
I have couple of questions on the diet though.
1. Isn't soy known to promote estrogen (and thereby reduce testosterone) in the body?
2. Isn't Paneer too fatty (bad fat)? Haven't seen lean paneer here in Bangalore. Or may be I didn't notice.
3. Am also planning to include some nuts somewhere in the diet. May be 11am?
4. No fruits at all? Will my diet be well balanced without fruits? Or may be eat a fruit as with my morning coffee?
5. Do you suggest baked beans (Black Eyed beans, Moong, Kidney beans) etc with Chapati or are beans too much carb for the protein they offer?

I have posted my gym schedule earlier in this post.

And haven't followed any diet during Diwali . Ate lots of sweets. But kept the weight training going. No cardio. Back to diet from yesterday though. Thankfully it hasn't showed up on my waist. No tightening of pants. But who knows, I might have added a little that has gone without notice.

Quote:
Carbs are not to be avoided, just the type of carbs to be checked. Stick to carbs more from veggies than fruits, and more complex carbs than simple. The only thing you need to keep a measure of should be amount of quality protein and carbs you ingest. Ratio to be maintained should be roughly 1:2, for protein to carbs. Amount of protein per day is roughly 1-1.5 gram per kilo bodyweight.

The simplest thing we need to do is treat day-end and day-beginning as pre and post workout too, and structure meals accordingly. Need to enter and break fast intelligently so that the body doesn't store up on much of the unwanted in the unsightly places.

Hope this helps man, keep pushing!!
Is one or two meals per week outside okay? Lets say I eat couple of pizza slices for friday lunch? Or is it too much.

So, my entire food habits and workout is undergoing drastic changes, from the time I actually posted this. The Diwali break helped me to enjoy some 'good' food.

Your post has really been very helpful!
Old 17th November 2012, 23:00   #3254
BHPian

Quote:
Hello mandheers, thanks for the elaborate response!!!
Not 'lean'. I'm skinny fat right now.
My hands are lean but the lower tummy fat means I don't look that lean.
Cardio is the only answer, do dedicated cardio away from weight training and weight training days.
Do two types of cardio plz, I keep it simple so here goes: moderate intensity, steady state cardio upto 30 mins immediately postworkout on workout days. Interval cardio on off days, like some brisk walking, some sprint work, some steady state moderate paced, all mixed up for about 45 mins tops, and stretch as much as you can, comfortably.

Quote:
I'm 28 years old.
You are sorted, don’t lose hope, it’ll all go away.

Quote:
Circuit training: Usually 2 chest, 2 back, 2 legs and 1 or 2 shoulder exercises. But I'm done with this routine now. Somehow I didn't like this at all.
For the last 2 weeks, I have been concentrating on squats, deadifts and bench press. I learnt from few websites that these are the core exercises that one MUST do. I do have a weak core. I just manage to do 10x3 push-ups on any day. So before I go any further with others, I'm planning to progress with these three and some more split routines.
Day 1 - Chest and Shoulders (Mandatorily bench press and shoulder press) + 30 min cardio
Day 2 - Legs and back (Mandatorily squats and deadlift) + 30 min cardio
Repeat
(Just managed to do 110lb deadlift (7/6/7 rep) and 90lb squat (9/8/8 rep) yesterday. You guys must by LOL but like I said I have a weak core and am working on it.)

Planning to continue this till December end.

From January,I'm planning to start StrongLifts 5x5 program. Any suggestions on this? (or may be something better) ?

I'm more inclined towards lean muscle now. Want to look in shape but not bulky. Want to gain lot of strength. 200lb squat and deadlift is my first goal now. At the same time, burn fat. Lose my lower tummy. Only then will the lean muscle look good, isn't it?
Also, I want to add some muscle to my arms. They look lean.
That’s alright, but strength is a dicey situation if you don’t have adequate guidance. I am partial to squats and deadlifts. Deadlifts only get you strength and that’s about it.
Squats done in strength stance (low bar etc) will also give you strength; and that’s just about it.
It's not all about core, the working muscle group is more important, core is only stabilizer.
You can do the strength work maybe 1 day of the week, push/pull/squat, all bar-work, but one day of the week, a tops 5 rep scheme.
Do body-part training other weight training days, and mix up the only-cardio days somewhere in between.
Here’s a link: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hst1a.htm
I will give you one big piece of advice, if you wish to ‘build’ a physique, listen to Mr. Dorian Yates, period.
I have done stronglifts, but I prefer the Rippetoe method, and I add some bicep and tricep work to it, but let me tell you again, strength will not get you the ‘pump and burn’, it is only for real-world strength. The other like I said is Mr. Yates to the rescue.

Quote:
That's a very nice diet. I can easily follow it.
I use any whey protein, but American brand. ON, EAS, Universal etc. I found Myofusion too 'heavy' on my digestion, not sure why.
I have couple of questions on the diet though.
1. Isn't soy known to promote estrogen (and thereby reduce testosterone) in the body?
2. Isn't Paneer too fatty (bad fat)? Haven't seen lean paneer here in Bangalore. Or may be I didn't notice.
3. Am also planning to include some nuts somewhere in the diet. May be 11am?
4. No fruits at all? Will my diet be well balanced without fruits? Or may be eat a fruit as with my morning coffee?
5. Do you suggest baked beans (Black Eyed beans, Moong, Kidney beans) etc with Chapati or are beans too much carb for the protein they offer?

I have posted my gym schedule earlier in this post.

And haven't followed any diet during Diwali . Ate lots of sweets. But kept the weight training going. No cardio. Back to diet from yesterday though. Thankfully it hasn't showed up on my waist. No tightening of pants. But who knows, I might have added a little that has gone without notice.
Yes, everything adds up, I have been off quite sometime and I know.
Soyabean’s alright I guess, it’s barely that much estrogen. Paneer and it’s dairy fat is ok too. Beans are fine too.
Nuts ok, but unsalted, dry variety only, small quantity a day, and mix, not just roast peanuts.
Fruits I trust are Apples, Papayas, Oranges and Banana on a rare occasion. Have suggested Apple in the mornings, and that’s when fruits are best. You can take a Banana immediately postworkout, that’s when simple sugars also help for recovery and protein uptake.

Quote:
Is one or two meals per week outside okay? Lets say I eat couple of pizza slices for friday lunch? Or is it too much.

So, my entire food habits and workout is undergoing drastic changes, from the time I actually posted this. The Diwali break helped me to enjoy some 'good' food.

Your post has really been very helpful!
Yes, all food is alright. Pizza etc whatever your choice, unless you train for a living.
Myofusion is a great protein, stick to a protein blend, and avoid whey protein alone. More so since you train at night.
Visit www.bodybuilding.com more often, they have all answers to most of your questions, enjoy the lifts and the results will come, the more we complicate things the more things get complicated.
Glad to be of help!
Old 20th November 2012, 16:37   #3255
BHPian

Looking to buy a 10lb pack of Dymatize Elite WPI with some good Multi tabs. Any idea where I can get the best price online ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks