Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2013, 14:59   #3391
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
Simply put - train hard, eat often/clean/unprocessed food and sleep well and you'll build muscle and burn fat, Forever.
Well said. But not easy to do. Most people I see in my gym are going through the motions like they probably do in life as well, with no change in the weight moved/rep count for months on end. The only way to progress is to do a little more each visit to the gym. Either in terms of reps up to a point and then weight on the bar, resetting the rep count lower when that is done. The little doesn't have to be much - indeed it shouldn't be to stay injury free - but if you keep doing that very little more today over what you did in the prior session, it will add up and as long as you follow the other two legs of the triangle of nutrition and rest, progress WILL happen as the muscles respond to progressive overload during working out, and grow while resting if adequately fuelled.
Old 12th September 2013, 15:46   #3392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yes, it arrived. However, it can't be used without clamps. Pair of clamps have to be screwed to the door frame. That means I can't adjust height frequently. So I haven't installed it yet. I was hoping both my son and I can use it, at different heights. I'll need multiple pairs of clamps for that.
The ones I used does not need clamps. Just needs to be tightened after wedging in between the walls. I'll put a photo later in the day
Old 12th September 2013, 15:49   #3393
Senior - BHPian

A very effective way to build up strength and endurance is the 20 rep breathing squat. Done right, it is all you need to do - indeed, there won't be gas in the tank to do much more!
Very simple to describe, but a monster to do as the weights add up. Start with an empty 45 pound Oly barbell bar on the pulled together shoulder blades behind your head, a little lower than the back of the neck and do 20 squats. Free form squats, not the smith machine nonsense. Focus on form and make sure you go deep enough for the top of your thighs to be parallel to the floor, and after the first five-eight reps, take as many breaths as you need to between reps. More breaths are needed past the 15 rep count. Each visit to the gym, add a total of 5 pounds to the bar. You will soon find that this is as much a test of mental strength to reach the 20 reps as physical. And also that doing this twice a week is all you can manage to give the necessary rest to the body.
Round this off by doing some pulls ups/push ups with the little energy left at the end of one set of 20 reps of this.
After 2-3 months of this, take a couple of weeks off, and rinse and repeat. And although it seems to be a leg exercise, it leads to all around muscle growth - no need to do bicep curls!
Only for men, not for the boys.
PS: One caution - you do need a gym with a power rack and safeties to do this without risk of injury.

Last edited by Sawyer : 12th September 2013 at 15:54. Reason: PS
Old 12th September 2013, 21:48   #3394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pair of clamps have to be screwed to the door frame.
Here are the snaps as promised

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-dsc07812.jpg

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-dsc07813.jpg

And this is how I've locked it up between the kitchen entrance (the dirty rug at the end because the rubber bushes were leaving a black mark on the walls)

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-dsc07810.jpg
Old 14th September 2013, 14:14   #3395
BHPian

Folks, I'm planning to get a set of rubber coated free weights, a 5 feet solid bar, 3 feet curl bar & 2 dumbells bars. I 've checked packages on snapdeal & shopclues & found two brands: Protoner & GoFitIndia. Here's a set by Protoner 62kg package costing Rs. 3621 (http://www.snapdeal.com/product/prot...1470175067;211) & from GoFitIndia 48kg package costing Rs. 3914 (http://www.snapdeal.com/product/gofi...-weight/623971)

I've checked the reviews. Most of them have indicated that the rubber smells & the rubber quality is not good as it can be torn by fingernails.

I've come across two other brands Co-Fit & Grandslam but they are priced higher. These plates also have gaps & hence are easy to hold. I would ideally go for plates with gaps. Any budget models available in this type?

Please let me know if any of you folks have used these & your recommendations.
Old 15th September 2013, 20:53   #3396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Most people I see in my gym are going through the motions like they probably do in life as well, with no change in the weight moved/rep count for months on end. The only way to progress is to do a little more each visit to the gym.
Moderate weight and high rep count - That's the recipe for gaining and maintaining shapely lean muscles rather than just mass. That is my approach.
Old 17th September 2013, 16:53   #3397
Team-BHP Support

This is my old martial arts partner, he moved to UK few years back. He is into parkour since couple years and he is just 36. Last year when he visited me, he did this at my house.

I can't do this. I don't even know how to train for this. Any ideas?

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-img_20120619_205053.jpg

Last edited by Samurai : 17th September 2013 at 16:54.
Old 17th September 2013, 23:57   #3398
BHPian

Quote:
This is my old martial arts partner, he moved to UK few years back. He is into parkour since couple years and he is just 36. Last year when he visited me, he did this at my house.

Attachment 1139659
Damn! How about starting with being able to do L-sits?

(I couldn't hold that position for more than a second )
Old 26th September 2013, 10:54   #3399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1139659
Gymnasts do this a lot, perhaps some kind of gymnastics training? (I have no idea on this domain)
Perhaps this site may help: http://www.drillsandskills.com/

Last edited by alpha1 : 26th September 2013 at 11:07.
Old 27th September 2013, 16:30   #3400
BHPian

Anybody came across packed "egg whites" in Departmental stores / Supermarkets.
I looked around in Hyderabad but couldn't find.
Old 2nd October 2013, 13:06   #3401
Senior - BHPian

I did an HIIT program around 2 years back and got soleus/calf muscle injury because the program was very intense and I just didn't eat right (and enough).

I tried to get back on the wagon again and have been preparing/strengthening my body by intermittently doing Plyometric Cardio, Power and Resistance exercises.

Before going full-on with the program I wanted to put my nutrition/diet requirements in place and hence have decided to go for a good Whey Protein recovery shake right after my workout to avoid going in to a catabolic state this time.

I figured that ON's Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein looks okay for my requirements however one of the fitness experts suggested that I choose between Dymatize Elite Whey and Muscletech's Whey Isolate Elite Series.

What looks good about Dymatize Elite Whey is that besides the regular Isolate/Concentrate claim it contains a list of other elements that are not to be seen on ON or Muscletech's protein powder such as Tyrosine, Serine, Proline, Glutamine & Precursors etc.

http://www.healthkart.com/product/dy...tPosition=1/11

I tried to compare the protein powders however couldn't reach any convincing review websites.

My objective is to get the best possible whey protein isolate mix with a budget of 2500-3000 per kg. I only want to try with a 1 kg box first.

I only intend on taking one scoop post workout, rest of the protein I'll try to manage from food only.

PS: Why is the chocolate flavour usually cheaper than other flavours? Its a good thing to me that this flavour is abour 300-400 rupees cheap but just curious.

Last edited by fine69 : 2nd October 2013 at 13:10.
Old 2nd October 2013, 20:08   #3402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I tried to compare the protein powders however couldn't reach any convincing review websites.

My objective is to get the best possible whey protein isolate mix with a budget of 2500-3000 per kg. I only want to try with a 1 kg box first.
Short answer: I would go for Dymatize. Long answer below:

Protein is protein at the end of the day, as long as it is really Whey that is being used in the product. A lot more depends on your workouts and macro nutrition plan. If you really want to nitpick, Dymatize has better taste and mixibility, but lesser flavors to choose from. ON has a lot of flavors and is more popular than Dymatize. You cannot go wrong with either.

In regards to chocolate being cheaper than other flavors, it could be because chocolate is a lot easier and straightforward to emulate than some other flavors like Caramel Toffee Fudge, Tropical Punch, etc. Chocolate is also a fast selling flavor and hence they can afford to place it lower in the pricing band. I don't know if this applies to whey protein because if you look at the ON and Dymatize websites, all flavors are priced the same. So be wary of buying online because it could be cheap when they look to clear old stock.

While one cannot downplay the effectiveness of whey protein, remember that it is a multi-million dollar industry and companies do a lot to project their products as something you cannot do without. In reality, there are people who have built great physiques without it.
Old 2nd October 2013, 21:25   #3403
BHPian

I've started hitting the gym since the last 2 months, the main purpose being weight gain. I've gained around 6 kg in 2 months, without any supplements, but I am looking at better gains than that (not looking for muscle mass only, just normal weight gain).

I have a liter of milk + banana + peanut butter daily and 4 eggs for proteins because I find weight gainers overpriced for what they provide and you can make the same at home. However, I can't hit the macros for proteins. So should I go for whey protein? Muscletech has 5 lbs priced at 4k, which seems pretty good. What would you guys suggest?
Old 2nd October 2013, 22:01   #3404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
However, I can't hit the macros for proteins. So should I go for whey protein? Muscletech has 5 lbs priced at 4k, which seems pretty good. What would you guys suggest?
What is your current intake and how much are you aiming at?
Old 2nd October 2013, 22:08   #3405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek.Martin View Post
What is your current intake and how much are you aiming at?
Current intake is:

Milk (1 ltr) - 35g.
Eggs (4) - 24g.
Other sources - 10-12g max.

So my current intake is ~70g, I am looking at 120g of protein. Sometimes, I substitute 4 eggs with 100-150g of chicken breast.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks