Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2007, 13:48   #361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Thanks Sohail and Cheap Deal - I heard that dead lifting can cause problems to the back, is that true, since the lower back muscles are very prone to injuries.
hi busa if done correctly you should encounter no probs,more than the lower back muscles its the lower lumbar vertebrae which are prone to injuries
Old 18th August 2007, 22:28   #362
BHPian

For those of you wanting to lose flab without losing body weight and also want to be ripped, do 20-25 mins of cardio immediately begore you start with weights. Take a couple of minutes break and then start with the weights. Believe me, you'll get results much faster. Because whatever body weight you lose while cardio, you gain it through weights. Also after the cardio, your whole body is warmed up and lifting weights doubles the effects and you won't get any cramps etc.

Also by cardio I mean running or cycling hard, not jogging or using the stepper etc. I don't know how old you guys are, but if you are between 20-35, you should not look at the heart rate on the machine. Just go as fast and as hard as you can. You can slow down in the middle to catch your breath but go back to fast again.
Also you do not have to go to the gym everyday if you cannot make it everyday. But make sure you go atleast 3 times a week and regularly. Keep in mind that in between those 3 days a week, your body has a very high metabolism and you wouldn't gain fat unless you eat very fatty foods.

Also, for starters, burnouts (not in a car) are very good to get good biceps and triceps. But you need a friend to constantly change the weights for you quickly.
Old 19th August 2007, 17:52   #363
Senior - BHPian

^ I would recommend doing aerobics after weights.

Doing aerobics before will lead to less than optimal wieght lifting, hence less than optimal muscle building.

Aerobics done afterwards will help even further in fat loss, because after a heavy workout, your body is alredy low on carbs, and thus uses more of fats and glycogen.

Oh and in lifting weights, it is one thing that correct form etc is a must.

HOWEVER, (what am gonna say might sound blasphemous to many here) 1. you need to cheat a little, that way you can lift heavier + you shock your body out of its comfort zone. Ofcourse cheating should not be frequent - possibly only the last set

2. acceleration. YUP. Single most important thing.
Your muslce fibre is composed of fast twitch and slow twitch. The slower your activity is, more slow twwwitch is involved. The more explosive the movt is - more fast twithc fibre is involved.

Now, your fast twitch fibre is much much larger in size than slow twitch.

If you wanto grow muscle, you wanna stimulate the fast twitch more than slow twithc.
Old 19th August 2007, 18:14   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Guys, I desperately need your advice:

What I am:

Im 6ft 3in, 24 yrs old from Chennai
I weigh 104 Kgs
I have flab arounnd my waist and butt and to a certain extent in my chest and back but NO flab on my legs and hands.
I have decent "form" in my hands (biceps, triceps and forearms) but VERY LITTLE mass there.

What I have been doing:

I have been doing cardio for the past month or so. I have been clocking around 500 calories per day and I excersice for about 45 minutes a day 5 days a week.

I have lost 3 Kgs in the past one month.

I have been taking 2 egg whites and chicken on the advice of my trainer lately.

What I want:

To lose the flab especially around my waist.
To gain mass on my hands.

I would request the experts on the forum to give me a detailed plan as to what I need to do. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Any more info you need, Ill be more than glad to provide.

Proxima, hope you have been doing well and progressing steadily towards your goal.

Let me again sum up in brief what you want to achieve:
1. You want to get a ripped abs look. Those washboard abdominals.

2. You want more bulk in your arms.

Well, strictly speaking you wish to have that "male model" look? Isn't it?
Unfortunately the desire to have washboard abs and more bulk on arms clash head on.
Unless you have extremely good genetics (= great bone structure and good natural hormone system)

1. You need to concentrate more on basic bulk excersizes like barbell / dumbell bench press, Lat pull down or chin ups, barbell / dumbell rowing, military press / behind neck press, squat / leg press

Believe me, these exercise if done properly would increase the size of your arms. Even though they donot directly target arms.

2. Do not workout more than 1 hour at a go. Long workouts are perfect for cutting fat, or if you are on steroids. But for mere mortals trying to bulk up. It is not recommended.

3. Do your aerobic activity after weights.

4. For a long time you will have a hard time. Sometimes you will see that your body is bulking up, and hence the flab on your abs will look as if it has grown. Sometimes you will find that the flab on abs is reducing, however, simultaneously your arms will stop bulking. All those are phases. Don't get bothered by all this.

5. Diet and rest! Nothign else is as important. Have most of your eating done with till lunch.
What this means is that your breakfast and lunch should be majority of your diet. Evening snakcs and dinner should be less.

6. Dont do too much of aerobics. Even lifting weights burns calories. Keep that in mind.

There are more points. I will list them as they come to my mind.
Old 4th September 2007, 20:12   #365
Senior - BHPian

New workout plan : -

Day 1 - Chest + Triceps
Day 2 - Legs _ ABS
Day 3 - Back + Biceps
Day 4 - Shoulder

Any inputs on this Sohail and other gymmers?
Old 5th September 2007, 02:06   #366
BHPian

looks good busa, but i think you can do abs on day 4 also.
Old 5th September 2007, 02:51   #367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
New workout plan : -

Day 1 - Chest + Triceps
Day 2 - Legs _ ABS
Day 3 - Back + Biceps
Day 4 - Shoulder

Any inputs on this Sohail and other gymmers?
Where is day 5 - 6 - 7 ?
Old 5th September 2007, 11:01   #368
BHPian

Busa: Exactly my point which abhibh stated... where is the 5-6-7 day , and as cheap_deal stated you can do abs on day 4 also... ?

question: Do u do your obliques with the abs or seperate?

Workout is great with this routine... and yeah let us know about the 5-6-7th day !!

My current plan:
Day 1: Chest
Day 2: Back
Day 3: shoulders
Day 4: Only cardio and free hand exercises
Day 5: Biceps
Day 6: Triceps
Day 7: Volley ball for 2 hours LOLS

This workout till ramazaan and then change after a good massage...
Old 5th September 2007, 12:26   #369
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Sohail and cheap deal with your inputs.

Sohail day 5 = rest, day 6 - start again with chest + tricpes.

Quote:
question: Do u do your obliques with the abs or seperate?
I dont do obliques at all man, dont need to as per my trainer.

Quote:
This workout till ramazaan and then change after a good massage...
So your not going to fast during Ramzaan? A month break from the gym.

My old workout used to be like this.

Day 1 - Back + Very little Bicpes (used to do supersets)
Day 2 - Chest + Triceps + Shoulders(only if energy there else on day 4)
Day 3 - Legs + ABS(Ocassionally)
Day 4 - Biceps + Shoulders(Superset)
Day 5 - At times holidays else Shoulders + Triceps
Day 6 - If holiday taken at day 5 Shoulders + Triceps
Day 7 - Holiday

The ones in bold signify warm up of that particular body part as was told by Sohail to me before.

Now what body parts should i warm up with this workout?
Old 5th September 2007, 13:06   #370
BHPian

Busa: I will fast and Workout will happen in Ramazaan, after the prayers in the night, will go to the gym at 10pm sharp or between 5-6 and then Hog... Lols, no skipping workout for me... that only hapens if i am ill..

Oh so the day 5 is a rest and then 6 the routine starts again, i would suggest you to keep a routine between monday to saturday, cos according to your plan if your routine starts on monday it ends on thursday and then u start again on saturday... then what about sunday... i would suggest to throw in a rest day on day 2 or 3 / and between day 3 and 4,depending on the workout you do a day before.Keep it like Workout-rest-workout-rest-workout-rest-EAT. The rest time in between will help your muscles to recover after the weight training.

Well dont do any more body parts cos i feel as it is you doing two body parts and body wont be able to take much, so let that schedule be there... just adjust your rest days and there you'll have a nice body. Are you doing complete 12-15 sets of each body part?? then no more workout.then rush home and eat

No obliques... wow i am happy for you LOLS so u have a perfect waist line... hehe
Old 5th September 2007, 14:55   #371
Senior - BHPian

@BUSA what time you go to gym morning or evening...
Old 5th September 2007, 16:06   #372
BHPian

hey guys, which is the best (cheapest) place to buy protein supplements in bombay? heard a place call sports fuel in pali hill.. havent checked out the prices there yet...
Old 5th September 2007, 16:48   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
Busa: I will fast and Workout will happen in Ramazaan, after the prayers in the night, will go to the gym at 10pm sharp or between 5-6 and then Hog... Lols, no skipping workout for me... that only hapens if i am ill..
Wooow, thats the spirit buddy, which gym do you go to?

Quote:
cos according to your plan if your routine starts on monday it ends on thursday and then u start again on saturday... then what about sunday
I workout on sunday, gym is open till 4

Quote:
i would suggest to throw in a rest day on day 2 or 3 / and between day 3 and 4,depending on the workout you do a day before.Keep it like Workout-rest-workout-rest-workout-rest-EAT. The rest time in between will help your muscles to recover after the weight training.
Actually Sohail First day is Chest + Tricpes, next day the upper body rests while i work on the legs and ABS, then the next day back + biceps and one day rest before shoulders, so isint it workout-rest-workout. When i am working out i am giving the other muscles a rest.

Quote:
Are you doing complete 12-15 sets of each body part?? then no more workout.then rush home and eat
Yeah i am doing around 12-15 sets per body part. What should be eaten after workout, before workout i guess its fruits. I have glucose with salt in water during workout.

Quote:
No obliques... wow i am happy for you LOLS so u have a perfect waist line... hehe
Not exactly, the trainer says work on bigger muscle groups then we will come to the ABS & obliques.

Quote:
@BUSA what time you go to gym morning or evening...
I gym in the evening around 6, wanna join
Old 5th September 2007, 17:59   #374
BHPian

busa: I workout at the gym close to my house called RESULTS, nice gym, decent crowd...
Looks fine to me atleast.... your other body parts are getting rest...thats true... i was infact telling for a complete body rest... anyws carry on with that workout and let us know the Changes .

Eating: Before workout have bananas or anyother fruit. During workout Have glucose or tang to keep your energy level. After Workout.. Hogggggg heheheh sorry .. have banana to get your sugar level Back to normal, then exactly after 20 mins of your workout have proteins (shake/food eg:egg/chicken breast etc) , then dinner and deserts heheh and stoll around to digest them
Old 5th September 2007, 19:16   #375
BHPian

yes protein very important after workout. whey protein is ideal, but you can also eat something like tuna or egg whites/chicken breast. bananas are good, eat more of them!

wats the deal with glucose and tang? isnt just sips of water needed during a workout?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks