Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2015, 18:13   #3886
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Cardio and strength training are best for both reducing weight and adding weight.
Old 7th May 2015, 19:13   #3887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Any tips for putting ON weight, (ofcourse without the harmful suppliments/steroids).
I can totally relate to your scene as I was exactly in your position 6 month ago. I figured that my diet was limited to more processed foods and less of fruits, veggies, curds etc, more of a typical pizza-burger diet and I was still as lean as I never wanted to.
My advice(despite being a learner treading along the curve) is to start physical regime, a gym or running or cycling shall do. Eat small multiple meals every two hours. If you feel full, shift to shakes(eg eating 3 bananas and 500ml milk along with breakfast aint possible, but making it a shake alongwith other breakfast items is easy).
Slowly and steadily you shall see the progress. There is no way you cant gain weight healthily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I have a friend who is in similar situation as DCEite.
He eats copious amounts of ghee and oil and oily food and it just doesnt stick to him! He has now started some exercises too, so we are waiting to see whether that has any impact or not.
Exercise definitely helps. Homping all the while and being seated at home shall only lead to a big paunch or bad digestive problems.
Best bet is to make a before and after measurement wrt weight and other body measurements.

Regards
Old 8th May 2015, 12:43   #3888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
How lots is lots?

How do you say so? Any scientific study, theory etc? Not epidemiological ones, please
Lots = anything that gets your scale tipping.
Everyone has his metabolism setpoint determined mainly by the thyroid circuit. This metabolism determines how easy or hard it is to gain weight.
For some person lots may be 100 g of fat per day
For others, lots may be 500 g!

There is only one way to know: keep increasing till you see the desired outcome.

(Although I really doubt, if becoming fat is really a desirable outcome)

Regarding the point about steroids?
Testosterone is a steroid. Running in our blood/body. Does it cause harm?
Most of the synthetic steroids do have therapeutic dosage limits. Like from what I gather, if a physician wants to treat someone for low testosterone levels (hormone therapy) he will prescribe somewhat like 100 mg of Test per week.

There are hundreds of tests done before introducing each drug for humans in the market. Each steroid is a drug. Each drug has side effects. In any kind of dosage, we weigh the pros and cons and if cons are less than pros, we go ahead with the medicine.

The problem (if I get your concerns correctly) is that 100 mg of Test per week will result in physique/strength that would hardly impress anyone. For someone who is naturally low on Test (perhaps guys who look chubby/flabby/overgrown child) - it may result in a marked change. But for a guy who normally looks like a "man", it would make no much difference.
So people ABUSE the drugs to look like Superman.
Mr Salman Khan may be on 500-1000 mg of Test per week.
This is not therapeutic dosage, and will cause severe side effects.
Cons outweigh pros, in a doctor's view; Pros still outweigh cons in Sallu's view.

Now the point about antibiotics.
Antibiotics are employed whenever we are sick with bacterial infections, with scant regards about potential side effects. Why? Because the pros outweigh the cons. Cons of antibiotics? Read the potential immediate side effects found out via testing for each drug. Potential long term side effect? Growth of colony of antibiotic resistant strains in your body. Destruction of useful symbiotic bacteria (like gut flora) inside your body. Growth of fungal infections.

Even the trivial paracetamol is pretty dangerous. Paracetamol causes damage to liver and stomach lining. The therapeutic limit is 4000 mg per day. The limit implies that body can only tolerate till a certain limit. Cons are less than pros till this limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I have a friend who is in similar situation as DCEite.
He eats copious amounts of ghee and oil and oily food and it just doesnt stick to him! He has now started some exercises too, so we are waiting to see whether that has any impact or not.
Perhaps, he needs to increase fats further!
However, I would not really recommend anyone getting fat.
People should learn to respect their natural tendencies ...

Last edited by alpha1 : 8th May 2015 at 13:09.
Old 8th May 2015, 14:50   #3889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Lots = anything that gets your scale tipping.
Everyone has his metabolism setpoint determined mainly by the thyroid circuit. This metabolism determines how easy or hard it is to gain weight.
For some person lots may be 100 g of fat per day
For others, lots may be 500 g!

There is only one way to know: keep increasing till you see the desired outcome.

(Although I really doubt, if becoming fat is really a desirable outcome)
OK. But why do you recommend only ghee (or other fats) to increase weight?

Quote:
Regarding the point about steroids?

Now the point about antibiotics.
Got the point.

But when you said that I was thinking from a general conversational point of view. Taking steroids always means abusing your body with steroids, whereas taking antibiotics means under prescription!!
Old 8th May 2015, 17:29   #3890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OK. But why do you recommend only ghee (or other fats) to increase weight?
Ghee or oil = Fats. Most concentrated forms of edible energy.
Fastest way to put on weight.
Old 8th May 2015, 19:22   #3891
BHPian

I guess even DCEite would want to gain healthy weight i.e muscle mass instead of just hogging on oily stuff and gain that undesirable fat around mid-section. Best approach is to have a balanced diet, concentrate on more protein and whole carbs intake complemented by strength training, adequate rest to the body and finally a calorie surplus of 500 would do the trick. Stick to this schedule for about 6 months and I don't see any reason why you wouldn't gain healthy weight.
Old 9th May 2015, 11:43   #3892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kablu View Post
@faithless_1984, Bro, first of all, wishing you a speedy recovery without much weight gain. BTW, care to share the diet plans that you followed for weight reduction? I'm at 98 Kgs now and just started my weight reduction/workout regimen.
Thanks, i have shared my story on the weight loss thread.

Links -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3261154

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3274683

All the best !
Old 11th May 2015, 13:22   #3893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
I guess even DCEite would want to gain healthy weight i.e muscle mass instead of just hogging on oily stuff and gain that undesirable fat around mid-section. Best approach is to have a balanced diet, concentrate on more protein and whole carbs intake complemented by strength training, adequate rest to the body and finally a calorie surplus of 500 would do the trick. Stick to this schedule for about 6 months and I don't see any reason why you wouldn't gain healthy weight.
Natural human bodies do not work that ways.
Unless DCEits is living under famished conditions, his body is always under an equilibrium. Equilibrium with respect to what goes in (food, beverages = calories) and what goes out (mechanical work and heat) and Equilibrium with respect to how much muscles and how much fat his body can comfortably hold.

To gain more muscles than the current situation: requires two things in the following order of importance:
1. Vastly more calories than right now. This will get the scales moving up. (it doesn't matter if you eat super expensive protein shakes or ghee)
2. Vastly more stimulation than right now. This will try to get some of the weight gained harnessed into muscular mass.

If you try to "cut" and retain this muscular mass, you cannot.
If you try to keep the calorie intake limited, you cannot put on any weight (so as well forget about gaining any muscles).

A natural guy has to gain fat in order to gain muscles. And he has to retain fat in order to retain muscles. There is no way you can disobey these natural rules.
Old 11th May 2015, 14:53   #3894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ghee or oil = Fats. Most concentrated forms of edible energy.
Fastest way to put on weight.
Will it be possible for anyone to eat more ghee (fat) than your body is naturally capable of consuming? Try it out. You wont be able to unless someone force feeds you. Eating natural fat to get fat will never work
Old 11th May 2015, 17:49   #3895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will it be possible for anyone to eat more ghee (fat) than your body is naturally capable of consuming? Try it out. You wont be able to unless someone force feeds you. Eating natural fat to get fat will never work
Did you mean naturally capable of expending?
If that was the case, then we would never grow fat.

If you meant naturally capable of consuming - then we would be excreting oil instead of feces in case we increase the fat intake!

I put on about 15 kg (in about 1-2 year) by simply eating more of everything. But the largest part of that increase was white butter. Second largest was eggs. Third was wheat.

And this was after being "stuck" at 70-75 kg range (optimal weight for my height, but I wanted to test the deeper waters) for almost a decade, so I know it can be done anytime.

Perhaps you took my post about "drinking" oil and ghee literally
I actually meant: add it to everything that you eat.
Pour generous quantity on rice, spread generous quantity on rotis, make veg/nonveg dishes with dollops of fats.

Last edited by alpha1 : 11th May 2015 at 17:52.
Old 11th May 2015, 21:01   #3896
BHPian

Quote:
I hope this post is helpful for fellow ectomorphs aiming to build muscle and gain weight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Damn so many people want to loose weight!

I am one of those who actually can't put on weight, no matter what!
Hello there DCEite! I am also a typical ectomorph and this is what I've experienced about gaining weight:

Quote:

To gain more muscles than the current situation: requires two things in the following order of importance:
1. Vastly more calories than right now. This will get the scales moving up. (it doesn't matter if you eat super expensive protein shakes or ghee)
2. Vastly more stimulation than right now. This will try to get some of the weight gained harnessed into muscular mass.

alpha1, quoting your post for DECite's reference, please feel free to add anything to the following if you feel its not right.
Till date I've joined several gyms and left them after couple of months but last year I seriously went to the gym for a long period (read: not missing a single workout/meal) thanks to a friend who was the constant motivation. The end result was: I gained good amount of muscle mass, felt more active, looked fresher with a 'glow' on my face etc. People Noticed!!!!

alpha1 has perfectly put it into two sentences. Work out hard! To add, Keep weekly targets to increase weights. If weekly seems too much then try increasing weights every two weeks. 15-20% increase seems good (if you can better this then that's great.)

Now what about the reps? My experience over the years and talking to friends and even experimenting with my well-built workout partner is the rep range of 12-10-8; lower to higher weight. I and my friend both experienced maximum muscle hypertrophy when we followed this rep range. But make sure to go sufficiently heavy in the last 8-rep set. SCREAM while doing the last rep, but do it!

What to eat? Rather this question should be "How" much to eat. Eat whatever your eyes fall on . I was an egg-etarian back then and I used to have 7-8 eggs/day.

1. 4 eggs in breakfast. 2 slices brown bread, 1 Glass milk , Sprouts, Upma/Poha etc.

2. Fruits. The more the variery the better.

3. Typical Gujju heavy lunch. The harder I worked out the more I ate. So working out hard is very important as you can see.

4. Almonds(5-6, I used to have 10), Cashews(7-8) and other dry fruits.

5. 1-2 bananas, 4-5 dates 1 hour before the workout. Any other fruit in place of banana is fine.

6. 4 eggs after workout in evening, with a sandwich or an omlette. Half a bowl boiled soyabeans.

7. Dinner. Again, this is advised to be usually light but mine wasn't light. It wasn't as heavy as my lunch because just sometime before that I'd have had point no. 5.

8. A single orange or kiwi or apple before going to bed.

I seem to remember only this much. Now as you can see I went heavy on the carbs and tried to intake as much protein as possible for a Gujju boy from natural sources. I didn't take any powder supplements. And with all this I got very good results.

Final points: Rest well. It is often neglected but is very important. I have stopped working out now and also a complete vegetarian now. Even if I join gym in future I won't be consuming eggs. So for vegetarians, Dal, DGLF, Broccoli, Kael, soyabean, other beans are good sources of protein. For non-vegetarians, eggs at one time can be replaced with boiled chicken, fish etc. There is a plethora of protein-sources for non-vegetarians.

alpha1 has said this many times, I repeat again, stay away from powders. The results you see by eating only natural stuff are very motivating and fulfilling!

Many things were running in my mind while typing so might have missed out on a few points. Will add them later if needed.

-Bhargav
Old 12th May 2015, 10:29   #3897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I actually meant: add it to everything that you eat.
Pour generous quantity on rice, spread generous quantity on rotis, make veg/nonveg dishes with dollops of fats.
I will again say that increasing ghee consumption will not help per se. In fact there is a chance that you may reduce weight - if for example, DCEite is currently eating 6 rotis for dinner (the maximum that he is capable of), and now he dips the rotis in a generous portion of ghee he will be able to eat only 4 or 5, reducing the carb intake drastically

But I agree to your post about stimulation

By the way, how did you arrive at the conclusion that your weight increase was due to the butter or eggs and not due to the wheat?
Old 12th May 2015, 12:23   #3898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will again say that increasing ghee consumption will not help per se. In fact there is a chance that you may reduce weight - if for example, DCEite is currently eating 6 rotis for dinner (the maximum that he is capable of), and now he dips the rotis in a generous portion of ghee he will be able to eat only 4 or 5, reducing the carb intake drastically

But I agree to your post about stimulation

By the way, how did you arrive at the conclusion that your weight increase was due to the butter or eggs and not due to the wheat?
I am not saying that the weight gain was not due to wheat. I said the maximum increase was in consumption of fat, next was eggs, and the next was wheat. It does not mean that I was eating maximum quantity of fats.
And the reason is that stomach capacity has volume limitations. Digestion process has weight limitations.
Fats are the most concentrated forms of calories. So adding fats to everything else will not take up either more volume or more weight as it would've if I was only increasing rice or wheat.

(BTW I have relied upon eating rice to reduce weight, simple because cooked rice occupies such high volume that you will feel full long before you fill the calories tank)

Well let me recall, when I was 70-75 kg range:
1. I used to drink 250 ml milk per day (cow)
2. Eat 3 eggs per day + 3 white (or was it 6 white?)
3. Used to eat about 3+3 (=6) 8"-9" rotis + 2 large sized bread slices.
4. Veg/dal/meat/jam in proportion to the above
5. Used to avoid adding fat to any food. So plain rotis, plain boiled rice, plain bread
6. Fruits (about 1-2 mango)

And what I was doing when I was 88 kg:
1. Drink 500 ml of milk (buffalo)
2. Eat 6 eggs
3. Eat 4+4 (=8) rotis with full ghee or white butter + 2 large sized slices with butter
4. Veg/dal/meat in proportion to above
5. Ice creams after dinner!
6. Fruits (about 1-2 mango)

It is possible to eat more while eating increasingly more fats! To be honest, initially you may feel like you are stuffing yourself, but soon your body gets used to it.

In fact I may say that people who are finding it hard to gain weight are those whose appetite gets reduced by high fat content. Perhaps that's why they find it so difficult to gain weight (as you have illustrated by your example).

Also let me work out the calories case:
- Calories from 1/2 tsp of ghee = 2.5 g = 20 kcal
- Calories from 1 roti = 160 kcal (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/191961847)

Therefore in DCEite's case:
Case A: He eats 6 --> 6 x 160 = 960 kcal
Case B: He eats 5 --> 5 x 180 = 900 kcal
So what you say is true.

Last edited by alpha1 : 12th May 2015 at 12:46.
Old 12th May 2015, 20:14   #3899
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, need suggestions on a suitable / good Elliptical trainer to purchase. Will be used in a Tier-2 city, hence looking out for something that can be purchased, shipped, installed easily - and is reliable (a.k.a - does not need much servicing)
Old 12th May 2015, 21:06   #3900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Guys, need suggestions on a suitable / good Elliptical trainer to purchase. Will be used in a Tier-2 city, hence looking out for something that can be purchased, shipped, installed easily - and is reliable (a.k.a - does not need much servicing)
Condor, any particular budget you are looking at? And also the average usage i.e how many people would be using it on a regular basis. Need to consider a few factors before you go for the purchase. The range starts with air resistance trainers which are quite cheap but get very noisy. Then comes the one with mechanically adjusted magnetic resistance trainers which fit in the middle range and serve the home purpose perfectly. They work without noise and the only noise is when the magnet is being adjusted mechanically. And right on top are the pure Magnetic ones which adjust the resistance with the push of a button. Buying online doesn't look like a bad idea in my opinion as you can easily compare the features as well.

Last edited by Storme_on_d_way : 12th May 2015 at 21:21.

Most Viewed