Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2016, 16:28   #4441
BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
Why are you concentrating more on running?
True. Have been quite regular with both weight training and running. A week before the fracture had completed 5K race in a decent time of 28 minutes and one and a half months later did another 6K race (The Great India Run, part of Airtel Delhi Half Marathon), albeit at little slow pace in 36 minutes. Had commenced running, after doctor's go ahead, about a month after surgery. Running with right arm in sling, I made a funny sight .. a few got in touch with me later and said that they felt inspired them.

Meanwhile, I had also commenced with light weight training that just involved the use of left arm apart from leg curls and leg extension in the same period so there wasn't much musculo-skeletal degeneration. Besides, I wish to finish my first 10K and half marathon to be held in Feb with some decent timing.

Quote:
To learn a complicated movement like the snatch requires the right guidance and hours of training. As with any multi form movement, like a complicated dance move, you break up the movement into simpler drills, practice those, and then stitch them together. I would suggest you find a good trainer who is fluid in teaching this movement.
Would love to but I don't think I will be able to find them. Doing it all alone I understand the risks, therefore the paranoia with regards to the form.

Quote:
What you are doing here is an overhead squat. That in itself is a skilled movement and does help with the snatch, but only with the last and the simplest part of the snatch, which is getting up after the barbell is overhead with locked arms. The meat of weightlifting movements is actually lifting the bar off the ground to its rack position (while getting under the bar as quickly and efficiently as possible), which in the case of the snatch is the bar over your head with arms locked in an overhead squat position.
The first part, that is lifting the bar to the rack position, I had practiced a few months ago and could do it well. What I found to be difficult and risky was taking it over the shoulder while at the same time dipping to the bottom of the squat. Even with unloaded bar I felt that my knees were not quick enough and laughed at the way the glutes cringed whenever I tried.

Quote:
Also, I have to ask, why the snatch?
First and foremost, I love the movement. It is the most aesthetic and yet beastly sight. And second, since I don't intend to go heavy with the weights, as explained above, I thought why not try to master the movement, at least the barbell stripped off the weight won't look an ungainly sight.

Quote:
Any movement with weights is based on balance, which is a combination of centre of gravity and base of support. The arms with the barbell need to be within the base of support which is formed by your feet on the floor. Too far forward, and you topple forward specially since the barbell so far above your head with arms at full lockout carries a lot of rotational torque. So, in a sense, they need to be "splayed backwards", but just the right amount. This is going to test your shoulder's range of motion and stability.
That exactly is my problem and I was amazed, though I was fluid with the back squat, working my way close to 1.5 times the body weight, mere raising the hands and just the body weight presented a whole set of new problems.

Quote:
Left ankle twisting inwards and knees caving in can possibly be due to two reasons. One, and more likely, the gluteal muscles aren't strong enough in that position to stabilise joint and perform extension (getting up) at the same time. Two, it can be just that your adductors aren't extensible (stretchable) to that range of motion.
Yes, that seems to be the problem. Could you please suggest some exercises to strengthen and make them flexible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
From what you describe, its poor form but the case is usually when there's too much weight up top or a weak core. Your core is the biggest link here but even with a strong core, you are bound to lean forward to some extent. Arms coming forward, how's the shoulder mobility? Were you able to snatch perfectly before the injury? How much weight was it then?
And they say that regular squat and deadlift takes care of core.

Thanks for the video. I think we are arriving at some solution.

Each exercise is a new discovery. Boxing jabs with the dumb-bells without any any added weight for example. The first few day it was just the shoulder and later I found that the lats got involved too and the punches became powerful and may be many days afterwards, I would find 'chi' from the earth (floor actually), winding its way up from the feet and the legs and the torso and the shoulder and the arm concentrating its power in the fist... one knock and the wall shatters (Matrix moment).

Yes, that's what I like most about weight training, each day that tiny 2.5 pounds weight challenges you to add it to the bar.

Last edited by Zappo : 1st December 2016 at 18:56. Reason: No more than 2 smilies in a post please. Extra smilies taken out.
Old 1st December 2016, 16:35   #4442
BHPian

Quote:
You can disagree. A lot of doctors and research papers don't and everyone has the right to do what they want with their body.

How exactly do you determine your protein need? Please don't tell me its 2x your bodyweight

Typical broscience! Why would a body high on ATP stop reacting to ATP? Will it stop making use of ATP even when there is continuous need. In fact as one progresses with weight the energy need only goes up. Please share the science behind this, not another blog post.
Well, I honestly would provide you lots of explanations for each of the things that I have said, but I do not wish to engage in extensive back and forth conversations.

Just a point, creatine is also cycled off because our body stops producing natural creatine, with prolonged use of creatine supplements. So we need to recover that.

I'm not saying that people do not have wrong expectations with whey, they do, but it is down to the people to be more informed and study about stuff before they invest in something with wrong expectations.

Anyway, to each his own totally, every body type is different and people should do what suits them. There is no fixed standard.

Peace out!
Old 1st December 2016, 16:49   #4443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
Yes, that seems to be the problem. Could you please suggest some exercises to strengthen and make them flexible.
Pigeon Pose, Piriformis chair stretch and lying Piriformis stretch.

You can do the chair stretch even in office, I still do it everyday. Pigeon pose should be interesting for a first timer, use a bench/bed initially so that you can put the other leg down.

Having recovered from Hip Piriformis I can assure you of the benefits from these stretches. Do them twice a day, thanks me 2 weeks later!

Important: Keep you ankle engaged (toe pointed up towards shin) when you do these stretches to avoid any damage to your knee joint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
Well, I honestly would provide you lots of explanations for each of the things that I have said, but I do not wish to engage in extensive back and forth conversations.
Isn't that the point of forums? (and this thread) Anyways, no issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
Just a point, creatine is also cycled off because our body stops producing natural creatine, with prolonged use of creatine supplements. So we need to recover that.
You remind me of me from sometime back. I wish you all the very best in your bodybuilding journey, hope you get the results you want!
Old 1st December 2016, 17:02   #4444
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
I would find 'chi' from the earth (floor actually), winding its way up from the feet and the legs and the torso and the shoulder and the arm concentrating its power in the fist... one knock and the wall shatters (Matrix moment).
Never thought I will hear about Chi in this thread. It is the ultimate pseudoscience in martial arts world. If there was Chi, then chi masters would have won every fight in MMA, world championship and in Olympics. But, that never happened.
Old 1st December 2016, 19:38   #4445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Here is a great explanation to what really made Amir Khan's transformation possible. The earlier video claims it was only exercise and diet, which we all know to be bunkum.
O yaar. Only yesterday I forwarded the other video you had posted in this thread to all my whatsapp friends . Now I will have to forward this one too.

Btw, he missed the phase when Aamir Khan had undergone similar transformation for Ghajini. So, it is not so much as he "built muscles" now but more like he lost the fat around it that he had rapidly put on to get to 97 kgs. Fat accumulated rapidly gets shed off rapidly too. Also, it is possible that AK took testosterone boosters and not steroids?

Anyway, the fact remains that Aamir Khan did put in the hard work, he did spend hours at the gym and he did have a very strict diet, all thanks to a whole company of fitness "experts" around him. I wish I had someone to spot me every last rep of every set of bench presses, squats and what nots.

Quote:
A lot of doctors and research papers don't and everyone has the right to do what they want with their body.
A few links to those research papers would be nice! Thanks!
Old 2nd December 2016, 16:20   #4446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
O yaar. Only yesterday I forwarded the other video you had posted in this thread to all my whatsapp friends . Now I will have to forward this one too.

So, it is not so much as he "built muscles" now but more like he lost the fat around it that he had rapidly put on to get to 97 kgs. ......it is possible that AK took testosterone boosters and not steroids?

Anyway, the fact remains that Aamir Khan did put in the hard work....

A few links to those research papers would be nice! Thanks!
I'm not sure whether you were being sarcastic or you really believe everything you said.

Of course he wasn't going to transform the way he did with a certain training and diet.

At his age, he can't build and sustain those muscles so he didn't preserve all the muscle and gained fat over it. He needs "additional help" and so do other actors his age & even much lower.

No, testosterone boosters are extremely ineffective when you wish to gain insane amount of muscle in as short as 6 months. I'm not sure if you know how a test booster works. If you do you would also know how LH (increase) or SHBG (decrease) work and how they affect testosterone, especially for a 50 yr old. But then if you did, you wouldn't have made that statement in the first place.

Hard work is there and no one can deny it. The argument is, would an 18-20 yr old with average genetics get to the same level as he did in 6 months, given the training & food is same?

Hindawi is a good start if you are interested in quality content - https://www.hindawi.com/journals/isrn/2013/126929/ Else one can read their heart out on Google Scholar.

This is not intended for anyone here but I feel sad for those who let this bodybuilding obsession get the better of them and while Aamir Khan comes and goes making Ghajini, PK and Dangal they are stuck with the dilemma whether to starve themselves and look like Dard-e-Disco's SRK or continue carrying TVs in both their arms looking like Sultan's Salman.
Old 2nd December 2016, 19:10   #4447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, testosterone boosters are extremely ineffective when you wish to gain insane amount of muscle in as short as 6 months.
But AK did not need to gain insane amount of muscle is what I am saying.
You are focusing on his fat to fit transformation, conveniently ignoring the fit to fat transformation that preceded that phase.

The link that you posted talks about adverse effect of high protein diet on "normal healthy individuals" without elaborating on what kind of lifestyle the test subjects had or "do they even lift, bro"
Old 2nd December 2016, 19:18   #4448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But AK did not need to gain insane amount of muscle is what I am saying.
You are focusing on his fat to fit transformation, conveniently ignoring the fit to fat transformation that preceded that phase.
You could read my post again if it helps else let's leave it.

Quote:
The link that you posted talks about adverse effect of high protein diet on "normal healthy individuals" without elaborating on what kind of lifestyle the test subjects had or "do they even lift, bro"
Feel free to ignore then
Old 2nd December 2016, 19:33   #4449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You could read my post again if it helps else let's leave it.
LOL I tried but it is hard to read stuff written from a soap box when I am only talking about what is right in front of me.

Quote:
Feel free to ignore then
No I am really interested in reading a study that has conclusively determined side effects or health implications that the intake of a high protein diet can cause specifically on athletes and bodybuilders. Got anything on those lines?
Old 7th December 2016, 17:02   #4450
BHPian

Looking forward to lose at least 1 inch on waist in 2-4 months. If I can make it two inches I would be dancing on my head. Plan to weigh 64 kg in the first week of Feb next year for a decent time at 10K run.

Stat at present - Weight: 66.3 kg; Waist: 31.75 inches.

Also intend to experiment with low protein diet (60-70 g). Calories would range from 1600-1800 with occasional very high cal diet and fasting (skip breakfast and lunch only) once every week.

Exercise regimen would mainly consist of weight training (5x5 protocol to begin with) and running (30-60 minutes duration decided by Adidas Train & Run App) three times a week along with some Plyometrics and body weight training thrown in on rest days.

Fingers crossed.

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-dec-04-2016.jpg
Old 21st December 2016, 15:51   #4451
Senior - BHPian

What kind of power racks are available in Delhi local market? Or if someone has had any experience with a reputed online seller?

I bought a squat n bench rack from Decathlon and while its adequate for everything that I'm doing right now, a power rack would help me go really heavy without worrying about failure midway. Anything rated at 200 kgs would be more than enough for me.
Old 21st December 2016, 16:11   #4452
BHPian

I have got a power rack made myself in Delhi. I have mentioned how I got it made along with a few pics in one of the posts in this thread itself. Very cost effective and much stronger than most of the racks available online or in decathalon. search for it if you are interested. Or pm me if you want to have a look at mine personnaly.
Old 21st December 2016, 19:05   #4453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
I have got a power rack made myself in Delhi. I have mentioned how I got it made along with a few pics in one of the posts in this thread itself. Very cost effective and much stronger than most of the racks available online or in decathalon. search for it if you are interested. Or pm me if you want to have a look at mine personnaly.
Does it dismantle? By the look of it, it probably doesn't but keen to know.

The squat rack that I have from decathlon can be dismantled which is a boon. Also, how did you arrive at the dimensions for it? And why didn't you setup a pull-up bar while you were at it.
Old 21st December 2016, 19:12   #4454
BHPian

Yes it can be dismantled. The square sections on the two sides (the ones in black color) are bolted to the red colored cross connecting members. Undo four bolts and the rack dismantles into 2 square side sections, and the cross connecting red colored members seperately.

As for the dimensions, I went through a lot of forums online. Finally decided for a working space of 7 feet (height) X 5 feet (Depth) X 4 feet (width).

And yes I have a pull up bar, its not in the pics though. On top in the front is where it fits now. That can again be dismantled by opening two bolts.
Old 27th December 2016, 14:45   #4455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Yes it can be dismantled. The square sections on the two sides (the ones in black color) are bolted to the red colored cross connecting members. Undo four bolts and the rack dismantles into 2 square side sections, and the cross connecting red colored members seperately
Awesome!!

But how did you go about testing its load bearing capacity. Specially the steel bars that are going to have 150 or 200 kgs dropped on them in case of failure.

Decathlon doesn't have a power rack at all, just a squat cum bench rack else would've purchased it already. Maybe its good that they didn't have one coz if I can get a power rack in about 13-14k then nothing like it!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks