Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2017, 12:09   #4561
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I don't think steroids and supplements were widely available in the past century.
You are mistaken. May be not in India, but it was highly popular in USA. I used to workout in gyms in USA in the early 90s, and all kinds of supplements were available even then. BTW, my neighbor worked for a large American oil company in Saudi, where the facilities were similar to USA. I used to share experience with him after my first US visit, and I was surprised that he had access to pretty much every kind of equipment, some even better than I had used in US.

Last edited by Samurai : 20th August 2017 at 12:11.
Old 20th August 2017, 13:05   #4562
Team-BHP Support

Learning something new everyday.

But I would just like to point that even if he took something that caused a heart attack, it is impossible to know if he over dosed or took with proper guidance and knowledge.
Old 24th August 2017, 13:06   #4563
Senior - BHPian

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/08/15/he...kes/index.html

High protein diet in someone who has a urea cycle disorder could prove fatal.
Old 31st August 2017, 21:31   #4564
Team-BHP Support

I was watching this snippet from Joe Rogan and Michael Shermer about workout cults.

That reminded me of an home gym equipment I owned between 1999-2003. It was Bowflex, did anyone use it? Frankly, it was ineffective compared to pushup/chinup/squats workout. But having an equipment like that gave you the feeling that you are actually doing something serious.

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-bowflex.jpg
Old 31st August 2017, 23:11   #4565
Senior - BHPian

New trend these days to intentionally dope yourself in the name of journalism:
Icarus

I Doped Like Maria Sharapova
Old 24th September 2017, 13:30   #4566
BHPian

Dear All - Need help on the below

I am aware of schultz fitness from Thrissur - looks very good - not sure of cost - have just written to them.

I am looking for a power cage - has to be durable and well finished - and if possible the best deal - with the following

1. 4 Adjustable weight hooks

2. Height adjustable full length safety bars

3. Pull up bar attachment - Prefer to have in line and perpendicular grips too

4. Adjustable Dip / Parallel bar attachment - Height Adjustable if possible

5. Power cage weight bearing capacity of at least 300 -KGs

6. Removable Bench / flat / incline capable to use for bench press within the power cage

7. Power lifting bar

8. Weights - Synthetic / Rubber / Steel

9. Also any idea on heavy duty 1" or thicker mats for the floor to cover ~ an area of 6' x 8'

Can / May look like this
Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-powercagepwcg1.jpg

Last edited by PM - B : 24th September 2017 at 13:41.
Old 27th September 2017, 17:21   #4567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM - B View Post
I am looking for a power cage - has to be durable and well finished - and if possible the best deal - with the following
If you need it to be as wicked looking (with super fine finishing) as Schultz then just buy it. I don't think anything else in India comes close to their quality. Of course, getting it fabricated locally would be much cheaper. Fellow bhpian got it done, you may want to search this thread.

I was looking at getting one fabricated locally but I when I realized that I can safely & easily get out of a heavy squat or bench failure I didn't feel the need anymore. I have a regular cum bench rack without safety bars and I never do single rep max PRs so haven't had the need to drop off any weight but I learnt the technique just in case.

If dropping heavy weight on the floor is an issue then by all means get a power rack. Also, bumper plates can take a beating but if you drop those rubber plates too often they'll just break and iron plates would break the floor instead.

Question to others - After getting bored with 5x5 I wish to take up olympic weightlifting and was looking for an olympic style barbell with rolling sleeves, any known brands that I could order off amazon or should I pay a visit to Ghulati's again?
Old 27th September 2017, 20:02   #4568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Of course, getting it fabricated locally would be much cheaper.
Thank you fine69 - I did not know / realise that Schultz is possibly the best in terms of finish. I have got a quotation from them - Yes they look nice - I did speak to a friend and he knows of an area in Bangalore where stores exist where customized stuff is possible - for the power cage - will visit and have a look

Quote:
I realized that I can safely & easily get out of a heavy squat or bench failure
I will be starting with 5x5 as the regimen - and the last time I completed a run cleanly I was squatting 145 kg and bench 100 kg - Initially it was more of a psychological barrier with the weight - and I did buckle once at around 120 kg - and not getting any younger, plus I train alone - so today I would prefer to go for the safety bars.
And hopefully if all goes well - I am looking at moving to and beyond at least 2 - 2.5x bodyweight.

Quote:
but I learnt the technique just in case.
I have gone through how to come out of a bench lift failure. Though its not very comfortable

Quote:
If dropping heavy weight on the floor is an issue then by all means get a power rack. Also, bumper plates can take a beating but if you drop those rubber plates too often they'll just break and iron plates would break the floor instead.
Yes, I dont want to drop weight on the concrete floor - hence I am thinking of some heavy mat and will go for regular iron weights. Thank you - I did not realise that bumper plates would break.

Quote:
Question to others - After getting bored with 5x5 I wish to take up olympic weightlifting
If you are done with 5x5 - and you are looking at progressing - have you had a look at madcow or some other intermediate training program.

I am also looking at a olympic power lifting bar - do share your research on the same.
Old 28th September 2017, 17:03   #4569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have gone through how to come out of a bench lift failure. Though its not very comfortable
I guess you use collars on weight then? I don't use for any of the lifts which is why getting out of a failure is piece of cake.
Quote:
Yes, I dont want to drop weight on the concrete floor - hence I am thinking of some heavy mat and will go for regular iron weights. Thank you - I did not realise that bumper plates would break.
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. I meant that bumper plates can take a beating as they are designed to. Other rubber coated plates would break if dropped frequently.

There are so many types of protective mats available that you can pick the one that suits your needs. However, olympic weightlifting doesn't work with mats. You'd need wooden boards + mats and that setup is not recommended for higher floors, its best to do so on the ground floor.

As you go heavy you'd also need bumper plates, its going to be a little expensive initially compared to a regular setup.
Quote:
I am also looking at a olympic power lifting bar - do share your research on the same.
Sure, will keep you posted. How I wish decathlon had it though, Domyos is great quality stuff.
Old 25th November 2017, 13:31   #4570
BHPian

All

Finally (was out traveling) ordered a Power Rack, with 4 J hooks, safety bars, pull up and parallel bars, Bench and 2 Olympic Bars with locks - from Gofit India. Jalandhar.
The Rack has a 300 - 350 Kg rating - Did not go for the 500 or 800 kg rated racks.
Even at 3 times body weight and body weight - I would not exceed 300 - 350 kgs.

Need to buy weight plates at Bangalore
Something like 225 - 250 Kg overall

Contemplating if cast iron / steel plates are available at used prices.
Not looking at other materials - Assuming that the above will last.
Can anyone please guide me to places where I could get the above.

Thank you

@fine69 - any updates please.
Was told that mats made from truck tyres are available - looking out for that too.

Last edited by PM - B : 25th November 2017 at 13:38.
Old 27th November 2017, 16:48   #4571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yesterday I was talking to somebody who took up bodybuilding in his early 40s. He lost 30kgs in matter of few months and developed impressive set of muscles. That made me ask him what kind of supplements he is taking. This was the list:

Multivitamins
Whey
C4 preworkout
Bcaa intra
Glutamine
Cassine
Fish oil

I want to know whether it is safe for somebody starting in the 40s to take all this.
If the muscles became really impressive, we all know (or at least should know by now on this thread) what really works. And it is not supplements then.

None what you ave listed is "unsafe" as such. These are just supplements and cannot really do any harm (or even benefit )

Multivitamins: won't change the physique. It may be useful if you cut down your diet and are unable to get required quantity of vitamins from diet

Whey: nothing unsafe about it, eat some egg/meat instead

C4 preworkout: makes sense if you are an athlete or want to feel like a professional

Bcaa intra: makes sense if you are an athlete or want to feel like a professional

Glutamine: makes sense if you are an athlete or want to feel like a professional

Cassine: makes sense if you are an athlete or want to feel like a professional

Fish oil: won't change the physique. It may be useful if you cut down your diet and are unable to get required quantity of essential fatty acids from diet

Last edited by alpha1 : 27th November 2017 at 16:49.
Old 27th November 2017, 17:59   #4572
BHPian

Hi All,

Just stumbles across this thread & it seems like that I would get some answers for queries :

First, brief about my physical stats : 6'2", 115 Kg, 43" waist, Typ2 2 diab, 42 years age, sedentry life style, pure veg (Jain)

I dont like walking or aerobics too much & feel quite bored after few days.. So, many efforts to lose weight & waist ended after few days of start.
Lately I tried body building & was quite thrilled by the "pump" & muscle building. But I am facing the following issue :

1. What is the safest process for a Type 2 diabetic in terms of diet, exercise & supplements ? I mean what is safe & how much of anything is safe ?

2. My body soreness takes more than 3 days to recover & my body feels tired for almost same time ?

3. My ultimate aim it to reduce meds for diabetic with more muscle mass . I had read in many research papers that good muscles reduce insulin resistance & hence will also reduce my fats & weight .

If you have any suggestions / tips / experience to share - pls do.

Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 18:48   #4573
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100BHP View Post
So, many efforts to lose weight & waist ended after few days of start.
I suggest you start from this post and then read until the end of the thread. You will find many success stories.
Old 27th November 2017, 19:22   #4574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100BHP View Post
Hi All,

Just stumbles across this thread & it seems like that I would get some answers for queries :
With all due respect to you and the forum members - you should be consulting a physician and a nutritionist for further advice. A weight loss regime is highly dependent on diet. Don't take a chance their. Spend some time and money on a thorough check up before you get into it

The only gyan I can give you is try some forms of fasting. Like a 24 hour fast, or read up on intermittent fasting. Some studies have shown fasting to have a positive impact on diabetes
Old 12th December 2017, 10:42   #4575
Senior - BHPian

Have been fairly regular to gym in my college and 20s.

At 40- I recently started on whey protein and Creatine ( Creapure ) + relooking at my gym routine and modifying work outs to make them more effective than before.

Results I am seeing

1. After a long long plateau - I am seeing visible increase in muscle mass and definition
2. Weight gain - something I never managed to achieve in all the years from 20-40 yrs age - I have finally gained 5kg - moving up from around 64-69kg.
3. Dramatic improvement in peak performance - on an average 20-35% improvement in what I used to do on bench press/shoulder press/squats/dead lifts

Looking to build on this further in the coming years.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks