Team-BHP - Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/1404-bodybuilding-exercises-supplements-310.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by narayan (Post 4624930)
The neuro-muscular feeling your body gets with squats is unmatched and squatting daily is prone to become an addiction !

Thanks for your words on the book. You rightly said that Squat Every Day can turn out to be an addiction. However, these days I am on second cycle (6-months) of MaxOT. It was the protocol that had introduced me to the world of lifting heavy (In the second month you are expected to complete 50 pull ups in as many sets it requires to reach there). Intend to return to Squat Every Day once that get over. Thank you once again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_libran (Post 4627344)
I moved to cult since last 3 months and have been a regular there.

I found the 2 sessions of the S&C to be too tiring. May be its with my stamina or may be I need to eat a bit more before those sessions. I am also going to settle into 50% boxing with 50 of rest of it. Weight is not going down yet but belly-fat is reducing, at a very very slow rate after almost 3 weeks.

May try HIIT next!

Guys, need advice.

I have never taken any supplements. I go to gym thrice a week and try to lift whatever my current strength allows me to. First question, do I need to take protein supplements for muscle repair? If yes, then which one.

I browsed through last few pages but could not find any specific recommendations with respect to what brand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipnil (Post 4753601)
I go to gym thrice a week and try to lift whatever my current strength allows me to.

I feel you should correct this. Try varying weights. And do more repetitions with lower weights. Also, do things slowly. Dont "throw" weights up. Lift them slowly. Feel the muscles contract and relax. Dont "drop" the weights. Bring them down. Again, slowly. Feel the muscles strain, squeal and squirm. Be the boss. Control the weights / bar / cable / machine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipnil (Post 4753601)
Guys, need advice.

I have never taken any supplements. I go to gym thrice a week and try to lift whatever my current strength allows me to. First question, do I need to take protein supplements for muscle repair? If yes, then which one.

I browsed through last few pages but could not find any specific recommendations with respect to what brand.

You don't need to if you get enough protein from your diet. There's many good brands, you can start with Nitrotech Whey as every bag has a unique scratch code you can verify. India has a lot of fake protein being sold in authentic looking packaging of every major brand so stick to this if you don't have much understanding of the products.

This is for us older guys.... to remind we are not in our 20s.

https://www.readpt.com/functional-hy...ieNBakdDqX0Jwo

I have been in and out of Gyms for 10 years now, never went continually for more than 6 months. My focus had always been asthetics, however last year I discovered, Powerlifting and realised that I enjoyed it a lot more than bodybuilding. The functional strength, gave me a high.

I ran the StrongLifts 5X5 for 3 months, before hurting my lower back muscles and quiting gyming for more than an year. Now I am back in the gym, 1 year of Sedentary life style has taken a toll on my weigth, with an increase of 3 Kilos in the last few months. I am back in the gym now, working out 4 days a week, focus is to loose weight.

Once I get the weight under control, I will again run a powerlifting program.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 4754746)
...to remind we are not in our 20s.

Thanks. for body-weight exercises - Someone mentioned doing slow reps and then moving on to very slow reps in pushups and squats is beneficial as you age. (citing the Japanese old people doing those very slow movement exercises).This will mean Less repetitions and will be good for the joints. Is it true?

What are you guys doing for home workouts. It's getting depressing staying indoors. I'm doing the basic 100 pushups, squats and sit ups for now.

Was going to gym every morning from 6 to 7. Just lost motivation and losing it big time. Tried home workouts but cant sustain for more than a day. Just switched off my brain cells. All I need is someone to switch it back.

I want to promise myself that I will workout everyday at home for atleast an hour for next seven days without a break and report on this thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZT (Post 4779530)
What are you guys doing for home workouts. It's getting depressing staying indoors. I'm doing the basic 100 pushups, squats and sit ups for now.

Now with enough time, I start my morning with survya namaskar, afternoon I do skippping and evening with body weight excercise ( or follow any 20-30 min HIIT workout on youtube).

All the phone calls are answered while walking.

So far have not got bored with these.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinhead (Post 4755483)
Thanks. for body-weight exercises - Someone mentioned doing slow reps and then moving on to very slow reps in pushups and squats is beneficial as you age. (citing the Japanese old people doing those very slow movement exercises).This will mean Less repetitions and will be good for the joints. Is it true?

My personal experience has been that doing explosive positives lead to more soreness compared to super slow positives. Whether that translates to something physique enhancing is questionable, but in term of carry-over to athleticism - an explosive positive is closer to what one would do in real life.

Of course explosive movements come with their own problems (muscle and tendon injuries, twisting of joints), so perhaps in the long run it is better to go super-slow for muscles, tendons and joints and trade-off some athleticism with some longevity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZT (Post 4779530)

Your colony or house doesn't have any contraption that can be used for pullups/chinups etc? In my opinion, pull-ups are the true king for upper body and you won't miss weight training (most people cannot do pullups above 15 reps). Plus you can do some kind of real ab work while hanging. And your grip strength will not go down.

You can try doing single leg squats (also knows as pistols) - that will again land you up in the weight training ballpark (since most people would not be able to more than 15-20). You are allowed to cheat a bit just to balance yourself.

You can utilize LPG gas cylinder for some creative exercises.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shashant (Post 4779563)
Now with enough time, I start my morning with survya namaskar,

Yeah, the yoga postures can be practiced anywhere!

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha1 (Post 4780173)
Your colony or house doesn't have any contraption that can be used for pullups/chinups etc?

Pullups are my favorite too but sadly no contraption available to do it. Mumbai gyms have been shut since 15th March so it's already been a long break. Let's see when they re open, as of now I'm gonna take this as a break month.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZT (Post 4780195)
Pullups are my favorite too but sadly no contraption available to do it. Mumbai gyms have been shut since 15th March so it's already been a long break. Let's see when they re open, as of now I'm gonna take this as a break month.

No ledge or grill in/near your house or playground inside colony premise?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZT (Post 4780195)
Pullups are my favorite too but sadly no contraption available to do it.

Some sort of ledge inside? Or chajjas outside can be used. We have a couple of ledges inside that we use to store our luggage. Those work nicely for pull-ups.