Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2020, 00:42   #4681
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

For good quality resistance bands go for Reebok. They are well made and long lasting. Note that they are not bands per se but tubes with handles on the end
Mortis is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 13:45   #4682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goswami.j View Post
Would be great if fellow members can share their home gym pictures & the list of equipment they have.
This is what I'm using for now and eventually will go the whole hog and buy a power rack.
Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-img_20200505_115127.jpg

Right now my focus is too keep active and have enough equipment to keep me entertained. Remember the only bad workout is the one you didn't do. Even if it's as simple as stacking books in a backpack and doing curls/squats etc it's better than doing nothing.

PS: Everything was bought from Decathlon before ecommerce re started
deepfreak15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 02:14   #4683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Suggest you go with a good pair of resistance bands. Advantage of it being you can use it for other form of exercises as well.
Thank you. I have never used resistance band and got one today after reading your post. I gained couple of Kg around my waist due to bad food habit during lockdown. Main goal is to shed that extra kgs and strength training. I bought the lightest one to start with.

I have no idea about how to train with the resistance band. Searched online and found this video

Last edited by Latheesh : 28th May 2020 at 02:16.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 02:43   #4684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I have never used resistance band and got one today after reading your post. I gained couple of Kg around my waist due to bad food habit during lockdown. Main goal is to shed that extra kgs and strength training. I bought the lightest one to start with.
Glad I could be of help. Even I was not so much into resistance bands before but this lockdown made me look keenly into it and I was actually hooked. If you get set to this form of workout then you can buy the complete set which will give a broader weight band to work with. Advantage of this being you can do most of the required exercises. Ofcourse combine it with some body weight exercises too that helps strengthen the core and other muscles.

I plan to continue using this even after lockdown ends. I might buy the flat resistance bands instead of the tubular ones after sometime though.

One more youtube video that suggest some simple exercises.
TorqueyTechie is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 19:34   #4685
Senior - BHPian

Rack for Calisthenics

While I was a regular to the gym till around 3 months back, I still ended up spending most of my time literally hanging around on pull-up bars than elsewhere.

With ample rest and tummy out, I've decided to get a setup fabricated that can help me with calisthenics (for now) and can even be used as a rack for squat/bench press later on (just in case I go back to strength training).

I wish to get a setup similar to the one below (without the dip bars)
Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-left_profile_lsit_1.jpg

What got me thinking was that there are L-shaped steel angles with holes that are available for making open modular almirahs. The guys who keep L-shaped angles might also be able to fabricate a square column with holes.

The picture is pretty self-explanatory on the setup with the first exception of having holes all over so that I'm able to adjust the pull-up bar height and maybe even add 2 holders later on to rest a barbell on.

The second exception that I want is to have the verticals bars rest on the horizontal bars like in the picture below. I'm assuming I'd have more stability this way.
Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-p1554311.jpg

Thoughts and suggestions please!
Old 18th June 2020, 20:15   #4686
BHPian

Re: Rack for Calisthenics

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post

Attachment 2018135

Why not just go for the Decathlon one? If you can fabricate one that's reliable and at a fraction of the cost it makes sense. But considering the Decathlon pull up dip station costs 12,000/- I personally would pick that up since they designed and made for a purpose as opposed to someone fabricating something with little or no clue what stress it will have to endure or understand how to ensure it doesn't topple.
deepfreak15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 21:18   #4687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
Why not just go for the Decathlon one?
Its not about the cost but the requirement I stated. Decathlon's dip station is useless given my requirement and the squat rack pull-up bar's low height is a problem, not to mention if you swing or try to muscle up the whole thing shakes like crazy, it isn't meant to take swings in the first place. Its pull-up bar also isn't ideal girth.
Old 18th June 2020, 21:37   #4688
BHPian

Quote:
the requirement I stated.
Calisthenics is a broad term. For Lever, Planches, Pull ups the Decathlon station should be ok. But if you are looking for muscle ups then yeah that's not the best option, you need a really stable base. Do keep us posted on what you finalise on.
Old 19th June 2020, 15:26   #4689
BHPian

Quote:
Since you are open to fabrication, you may check this kind of arrangement (if anchoring is not an issue). It is relatively simple to fabricate, is quite stable due to anchors, good for calisthenics and may double up as squat/ bench press rack. There are attachments available in market which convert it into dip station. Readymade options are available around 10k if I recall correctly.

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-screenshot_20200619142257_google.jpg
ast.ggn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 20:16   #4690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
Since you are open to fabrication, you may check this kind of arrangement (if anchoring is not an issue)
Can't afford anchoring.

I think the best bet for me is the arrangement shown in this video

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-s2squatstandlg_11_23_2.jpg

I particularly like the arrangement of bolts that help the two main bars erect, no play in the setup as I saw many other videos of people kipping on it. It should turn out pretty solid for muscle-ups.

I hope I can find a fabricator who can do the work with sincerity though.
Old 19th June 2020, 20:33   #4691
BHPian

Quote:
I particularly like the arrangement of bolts that help the two main bars erect
I would suggest you to go for a readymade one then, the hole precision is hard to match outside. After reading your post I made a little search and came across one Yoddha Fitness selling it for 20k. In case you want to check it out:

https://www.crossfitequipmentyoddha....sfit-rig-racks

Looks pretty similar to Rogue.
ast.ggn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 20:59   #4692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
Looks pretty similar to Rogue.
I think they've superimposed their company logo on Rogue fitness equipment pics

It meets my requirement to the T, barring the bolt arrangement, the one in video had a sort of metal pocket where the vertical bar was getting bolted.

Nevertheless, it is definitely worth a try. They seem to be Meerut based so I may visit them as well.

Thanks a lot mate!!
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 14:10   #4693
BHPian

Why you should lift and some common myths around lifting weights aka. "body building"

For some background, I am 40 and till 2 years ago, was the typical sedentary desk jockey. I was never over weight but definitely not fit in any sense of the word. Till I was forced to take a corporate medical test by my wife.

You see, I have this almost crippling phobia of needles, and avoid any interaction with them. My company has a tie up with a health care provider and every year we get a comprehensive health check coupon. That particular year, I fortunately forgot it in the dash, my wife saw it and dragged my unwilling self to the centre for the check.

The check itself was an absolute eye opener. Like I said I was never overweight and looked "normal" to the naked eye, didn't have any major illness but this was like a touched up car on the outside with a rushed paint job, but the interior had been left untouched for years. My BP was high, good cholesterol was bad, bad cholesterol was good. Vitamin D was so low that my family doctor who studied the report said this was arguably the Lowest he had ever seen in his career. I figured that at 38 if I was this way, by the time I hit 50, I was in for a world of trouble and joined a gym.

My 7th gym in 10 years, the longest I had been to before this was maybe 2 weeks. Since then, till lockdown hit, I have skipped maybe a week together at best (I travel a lot and sometimes don't get the time to work out in a hotel gym and hotel gyms are not designed for serious lifting any way)

Why you should lift and isn't it only for the super bulky gym rats who spend hours at the gym? Myth 1

No, it's a common myth that only bulked up heavy people lift and the vicious cycle follows that lifting weights makes one bulky and gain the typical "body builder" look.

Resistance training has tremendous health benefits for anyone and everyone. First let's understand the difference between Aerobic vs Anaerobic exercise and why both are important.

Aerobic exercises - result in maintaining a higher heart rate, burns a combination of fat and carbs. Your muscles need sustained access to oxygen to keep this activity up. This is why if you climb stairs or jog (and aren't used to it), you start gasping for breath. Examples of Aerobic exercise include brisk walking, jogging, swimming, badminton etc.

Anaerobic exercises - is any activity that breaks down glucose for energy without using oxygen. Generally, these activities are of short length with high intensity. The idea is that a lot of energy is released within a small period of time, and your oxygen demand surpasses the oxygen supply.

Picture yourself lifting a heavy bucket of water briefly. The exertion is over In seconds, yet you feel the after effects for minutes afterwards right? That's anaerobic exercise for you. Examples include sprinting, weight lifting, skipping etc

A good work out plan includes a combination of these, however most people stick to walking / jogging and forget this entire component entirely.

Let's look at the benefits now,

You don't feel tired - as you grow older age your stamina pool starts to deplete you will start getting tired faster. Anaerobic exercises though as we saw use glucose as fuel, this process is known as glucosis. However this has its downside as your muscles also produce lactic acid and this is what causes muscle fatigue. By repeatedly working out your muscles, you increase your tolerance levels, thus reducing fatigue in real world scenarios.

Increase bone density and strength - this is entirely internal but your bones become stronger over time, and helps prevent or reduce weakness of bones as you age.

Weight management - Aerobic exercise burns fat then and there, anaerobic if you do it hard, will burn fat for hours after your work out. A combination of these twp are deadly for stubborn fat.

Helps fight certain diseases - studies have established that working out intensively, lifting weights reduced chances for diseases like heart disease and diabetes.

Helps keep depression at bay - it's a cliche now that love lorn people lift weights as a distraction but science has again established that intense lifting floods your system with the mood elevating hormone, Seratonin. This helps keep depression at bay and improves your mood.

Aside from this, systematic working out, even 3-4 days a week, an hour / day (including breaks) over time with a balanced diet definitely helps your physical appearance and this a massive ego booster. Your pants fit better, you look smarter in suits and overall promotes a greater sense of well being.

Some common myths

1) you will get very bulky - not at all. If you focus on repetitions and reduce your weight, you get all the benefits of lifting iron minus that bulky look. In fact coupled with cardio you will achieve a lean, mean, killer look.

2) once you stop your muscles sag - Unless you consume banned substances (steroids) and then stop, your body will not magically just sag.

3) you need supplements - definitely not, yes if you are into serious lifting there are good, safe, legal supplements (whey protein, creatine, BCAA being a few) that can aid you, but you can simply get into the gym and start lifting, no trouble at all.

A couple of things to keep in mind

1) get a capable and experienced lifter to partner with you initially, or get a professional trainer. There is something called "form" (the right way and angle to lift a particular weight), which if you get wrong, you could hurt yourself or just not achieve results

2) the bulky "gym Bois" judge you - absolutely not. In fact when I started out, I took help from these serious, built like a tank lifters, as long as you ask politely, they are always willing to lend a hand

3) just invest in decent gloves (I get severe callous if o don't wear a glove), flat shoes and you are good to go.

Welcome to world of lifting, you now are a full fledged member.
Stribog is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 14:39   #4694
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why you should lift and some common myths around lifting weights aka. "body building"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post

Aside from this, systematic working out, even 3-4 days a week, an hour / day (including breaks) over time with a balanced diet definitely helps your physical appearance and this a massive ego booster. Your pants fit better, you look smarter in suits and overall promotes a greater sense of well being.

Some common myths

2) once you stop your muscles sag - Unless you consume banned substances (steroids) and then stop, your body will not magically just sag.
Have been lifting since my third year of college, i.e. for around close to 15 years. In the initial years, it was very heavy weights and a desire to bulk up fast, which did happen. Built up pretty massive muscles. However, the last 7-8 years have all been about keeping fit and using much lesser weights to maintain a toned and fit appearance. Every benefit that you referred to is true, especially a general sense of well being and feel good hormones flooding the body after a good weight training session. I can safely say that I am addicted to weight training and have been for years now. Fantastic set of benefits follow if done right and consistently.

Just one point - suddenly stopping to train after having trained for quite some time will definitely cause some level of muscular atrophy (looseness and bloated feel) and to varying degrees. I have experienced it myself during the times that I was forced to stop training due to injuries, or during the recent lockdown when gyms have been shut. This is what gives rise to the popular notion that "muscles will sag". But can be easily overcome when you re-start training, your body starts feeling "tight" and fit again.
arindambasu13 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 22:42   #4695
BHPian

Hello Guys,
I am planning to order Optimum Whey protein supplement online in Delhi, Can anyone tell me which is the best site to order where I can get genuine and authentic quality product.

Most Viewed