Team-BHP - Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/1404-bodybuilding-exercises-supplements-321.html)

I take protein powder after workout as it reduces the muscle pain/ fatigue and I recover by the next day. Without protein powder, it takes me two days to recover. It seems protein powder get to get rid of the muscle soreness because of lactic acid production.

I have tried to get full dose of protein through diet (eggs, chicken etc) but the faster recovery with less muscle aches pulls me to protein powder.

Another story for people who eat protein in higher amounts at the expense of other macros. People feeling tired after hectic workout should try to adjust carb intakes

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland...-fife-68308809

Quote:

Originally Posted by PreludeSH (Post 5723494)
Another story for people who eat protein in higher amounts at the expense of other macros. People feeling tired after hectic workout should try to adjust carb intakes

IMO, that suggestion is for elite/pro level bodybuilders, amateurs rarely work out hard enough to eat that many calories. I used to feel tired after workout until I started taking whey protein immediately after working out. Now I don’t feel exhausted during the day.

Guys, need some advice. I have just restarted going to the gym after more than 2yrs. My regular timing will be around 7pm. Wanted to know if having a Protein Shake at around 6:30pm before going to the gym would be ok or not since my usual lunch time is around 1pm. Thereafter I generally won't be eating anything. My workout won't last more than an hour. After my workout I plan to have a fruit like an apple & then have dinner by 9pm. Trainer has suggested having Shake while working out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PreludeSH (Post 5723494)
Another story for people who eat protein in higher amounts at the expense of other macros.

Yeah I have also become highly suspicious of this need-more-protein school of thought, specially after watching this

Huge Protein Myths

Quote:

Originally Posted by cryptarchy (Post 5723663)
I used to feel tired after workout until I started taking whey protein immediately after working out. Now I don’t feel exhausted during the day.

It is most likely the calories that you are consuming from the protein shake after your workout that are doing the trick. Our body converts excess protein into carbohydrates anyway. Have you tried consuming complex carbs like apples or bananas or even a smoothie after your workout and seen any difference?

Quote:

Originally Posted by PPS (Post 5723755)
Wanted to know if having a Protein Shake at around 6:30pm before going to the gym would be ok or not since my usual lunch time is around 1pm. Thereafter I generally won't be eating anything. My workout won't last more than an hour. After my workout I plan to have a fruit like an apple & then have dinner by 9pm. Trainer has suggested having Shake while working out.

A protein shake before workout could make you feel bloated during the workout. I'd suggest having some fruits between your lunch and workout. You probably dont need a protein shake anyway if you are eating a balanced diet. All this protein advice may make more sense to a meat based western diet or SAD (Standard American Diet) but our Indian diet is way better than that as it already includes lentils, vegetables, rice and whole grains.

Quote:

Guys, need some advice. lunch time is around 1pm. Thereafter I generally won't be eating anything. My workout won't last more than an hour. After my workout I plan to have a fruit like an apple & then have dinner by 9pm. Trainer has suggested having Shake while working out.

Have some sweet potatoes and bananas before your workout, and consume whey protein post-workout.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitoj (Post 5723767)
I'd suggest having some fruits between your lunch and workout. You probably dont need a protein shake anyway if you are eating a balanced diet.

Need some energy whilst working out. Will try having an apple or a banana or maybe some nuts prior to the workout. I used to workout on an empty stomach earlier, but that was at 6am for about 40mins ! I know its not recommended to workout on an empty stomach.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raptor_diwan (Post 5723769)
Have some sweet potatoes and bananas before your workout, and consume whey protein post-workout.

There will be too less of a time gap between having Protein Shake post workout & Dinner, hence the apprehension.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PPS (Post 5723775)
I know its not recommended to workout on an empty stomach.

Nothing like that. Your body has enough stored energy to get you through an hour long workout easily. But yeah, a banana before a workout will give you energy that is readily available.

I highly recommend watching the 6 part series on exercise, supplements and everything related to that between Dr. Andy Galpin and Andrew Huberman. These episodes are long but totally worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEYE...Za03YKASSGCazr

Quote:

Guys, need some advice.

Eating an apple + whey protein shake post workout would be great as apple has good fibre. On pre workout meal, why not proats (oats in milk + half scoop or full scoop whey) or masala oats (cooked in water) bowl? I never felt bloated after it and generally used to have it 40mins before my workout.