Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2008, 12:28   #496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
anyway, the question is, what is the best way to combine jogging, swiming and weight training. I tend to do them all on different days.
If you can spare time both in the evening and morning, nothing like it. You could alternately jog / swim in the mornings and weight train in the evenings every other day. Or the other way round, weights in the morn, cardio in the eve.
Go for a whole body workout every alternate day. That should ensure that all your muscle groups are being worked. Try and do more compound exercises instead of isolated ones.
Old 15th January 2008, 12:48   #497
BHPian

Vikram18 : hows u doing dude long time? ahah

My earlier Query has not been answered yet, anyways new one now...

Massage: Sports Massage!!! how helpful is it to gymmers, how frequently shud one take them definately from a certified masseur ( not those types yaa guys).

I've been gymming regularly...good steady diferences.. its just that aims and goals changes on weekly basis how do i stay focused on ONE DAM thing
Old 15th January 2008, 14:20   #498
Senior - BHPian

Umm, here's my issue. Is about basic fitness wonlee.

Almost a centurion, 5'11" is what I am. Recent back problems have ensured I can't bend much often. Driving an alto is a pain, though the bike is just fine (taut back pains less). I work for extended hours, like 14-16 often till 12+ in night, and even otherwise, am often in telecons.

For starters, I want to get my back into shape (am doing 15-20 min of exercises daily, lower back gluteal stretch, push up, leg raises). But want to improve my aerobic capacity as well. Basically, can walk all day. But can't run for more than 2-3 minutes. And I get bored as well.

So any ideas on what to do?

Can spend on gyms, but neither enthu, nor can manage the time.
Old 15th January 2008, 17:37   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Umm, here's my issue. Is about basic fitness wonlee.
Can spend on gyms, but neither enthu, nor can manage the time.
Well obviously, you need to spend time to look after your health. There's only so many years that you can work 16 hours a day. And finally, what's the use of all that work if you spend it all on medical bills?

Without being TOO preachy, do as much Cardio as possible, and follow a really strict diet if you're really serious about losing weight. Believe me, a bad back is the arguably the worst long term "ailment" you can have, so drop the boredom and get moving.

If walking is your scene, walk a LOT; at least an hour. As you progress, try to build up speed and cram more Kms into that one hour. At 5'11" and nearly 250 Lbs. you need to drop a fair bit of weight, so you'll really have to put in some serious effort. Swimming is another option as the water supports your body and you have minimal chances of injury, provided your stroke is correct. You really don't need to run/jog at this point; you stand to injure your joints. Just walk, drop a few kilos and then gradually introduce jogging and running into your cardio routine. If you can combine this with weight/resistance training, nothing like it!

Just for your info, EVERY pound of excess weight around your abdomen exerts a pressure of FIVE pounds on your lower back; I'm guessing that's a lot of weight on your spine right now.
Grid those loins buddy and put on your dancing shoes; your body will thank you for it whole heartedly

Last edited by vikram18 : 15th January 2008 at 17:40.
Old 15th January 2008, 17:55   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
Vikram18 : hows u doing dude long time? ahah

My earlier Query has not been answered yet, anyways new one now...

Massage: Sports Massage!!! how helpful is it to gymmers, how frequently shud one take them definately from a certified masseur ( not those types yaa guys).
I'm doing good buddy; been getting my ride into shape of late . I'd already replied to a "massage" post earlier in this thread; don't know if it was yours. Well, to reiterate, from a bodybuilding POV, they're absolutely usless. Apart from the feel-good factor, no practical use at all.
Old 17th January 2008, 09:14   #501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
Go for a whole body workout every alternate day. That should ensure that all your muscle groups are being worked. Try and do more compound exercises instead of isolated ones.
thanks vikram. I started slowly and hope to keep steady.

small doubts though
1. doing all muscle groups means i will be doing 1-2 exercises per muscle group. none of my muscles feel fatigued today. does it make any diference compared to working one set at a time to failure? So far I have only done isolated exercise. feel weird

2. should I switch to new exercises every(alternate)day and rotate weekly, or continue doing the same and change after a month or two? I guess second option will workout better.

3. I can only workout in evening. after lunch at 12-1, I take snacks in evening at around 5. can i replace that with some dates and energy bars (or something else, as long as supplies can be kept at work)? planning to go to gym directly from work.
Old 18th January 2008, 00:01   #502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
thanks vikram. I started slowly and hope to keep steady.

small doubts though
1. doing all muscle groups means i will be doing 1-2 exercises per muscle group. none of my muscles feel fatigued today. does it make any diference compared to working one set at a time to failure? So far I have only done isolated exercise. feel weird

2. should I switch to new exercises every(alternate)day and rotate weekly, or continue doing the same and change after a month or two? I guess second option will workout better.

3. I can only workout in evening. after lunch at 12-1, I take snacks in evening at around 5. can i replace that with some dates and energy bars (or something else, as long as supplies can be kept at work)? planning to go to gym directly from work.

1. Try to increase the intensity. Choose a weight at which you WILL fail at the requisite no. of reps, slow down your motion, decrease time between sets etc. This will surely give you the necessary muscle fatigue associated with a good workout.

2. Second option is better. For variety though you can always have a day where you only do power training, or circuits or supersets and stuff. That's fun and keeps you from getting bored with your regular routine.

3. Dates, Energy Bars, Fruit, Pre-workout shakes are all good ideas and can all be stored at your workplace
Old 18th January 2008, 16:18   #503
Senior - BHPian

Anyone here has any opinion about Talwalkars in Bangalore, specially the staff? Equipment, space etc i can judge by visiting them but the staff i cant. Hence the question.
Old 30th January 2008, 16:58   #504
BHPian

Hi there..heard about this thread from sohail. I started bodybuilding from march 2000 and i am addicted to it since then. I love lifting insane amount of weights and my workout program is of 6days of heavy weight training for 2.5 hours each day..actually im crazy about gymming and go mad if i ever have to miss my workout.i have worked out in london whenever i have been there but i prefer indian weather,which in my opinion is perfect for bodybuilding...... I request you all to get up and hit the gym atleast thrice every week..its damn beneficial...... Cya
Old 30th January 2008, 18:39   #505
BHPian

Any Jumping Jacks Here ??

Since my college days I have found skipping ( rassi koodna ) as a very good warm up. I started off with doing 50 with lots of breaks and now I do 1500-2000 in sets of 500 before my squash practice. In the gym I have the wooden floor so there is no problem, but when I am at home I have to skip on the concrete and i am afraid that there might be problems later. Are there any special shoes that I can go for when skipping on concrete ?
Old 30th January 2008, 20:43   #506
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Anyone here has any opinion about Talwalkars in Bangalore, specially the staff? Equipment, space etc i can judge by visiting them but the staff i cant. Hence the question.
Pretty good. I have been working out at Talkwalkars Jayanagar 4th T block since May 2004 (it doesnt show on my body though ) and I have been pretty satisfied.

The staff is good. But they can be a bit more proactive. You need to make sure they are around you to help you. There are lesser trainers than required if you ask me. but if you insist, they will be around you to spot and help you out.

If you think you work out better when left alone, then they wont really keep an eye on you (they cant really do so as there are many many people).

Secondly, I got a new workout made today by my trainer. I have a few queries.

I am overweight. By a big margin and I need to lose weight. So, I never tried to increase the weights I was pumping and just increased the number of reps. Today, a new trainer saw me do 25 reps of Chest Press and told me to increase the weight so that I do only 15.

I thought to lose weight, I need to keep the weights constant but keep increasing the number of reps and sets.

Any opinions ?
Old 30th January 2008, 22:44   #507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilb2008 View Post
Pretty good. I have been working out at Talkwalkars Jayanagar 4th T block since May 2004 (it doesnt show on my body though ) and I have been pretty satisfied.

The staff is good. But they can be a bit more proactive. You need to make sure they are around you to help you. There are lesser trainers than required if you ask me. but if you insist, they will be around you to spot and help you out.

If you think you work out better when left alone, then they wont really keep an eye on you (they cant really do so as there are many many people).

Secondly, I got a new workout made today by my trainer. I have a few queries.

I am overweight. By a big margin and I need to lose weight. So, I never tried to increase the weights I was pumping and just increased the number of reps. Today, a new trainer saw me do 25 reps of Chest Press and told me to increase the weight so that I do only 15.

I thought to lose weight, I need to keep the weights constant but keep increasing the number of reps and sets.

Any opinions ?
Thanks Nikhil. Is this the one thats on Outer ring Road near Delmia building? I prefer doing my exercises by myself once a schedule is set.

Regarding your reps, does the new trainer know you are trying to lose weight? I thought exercises like jogging etc are most helpful in losing weight, but i could be wrong too.
Old 30th January 2008, 23:34   #508
Senior - BHPian

Me too thinking of joining a Gym as I badly need to loose weight.I need to probably loose around 30 kilos of excess weight according to BMI(I'm around 100 for a height of 5ft9").How should I approach ? Should I first start by walking and gaining stemina?How do I gain stamina ,currently I've no stamina at all,I get tired after running just 3-4 minutes itself. I can walk on a flat surface for a 20/30 minutes without getting tired but running is not possible for me as of now.If I have to climb say more then 4-5 floors then it's a big task for me.
Another thing,will regularly playing badminton or tennis help?Along with the Gym or it's not necessary? I used to play before but now it's almost stopped.
My current goal is to loose as much as weight I can loose so that I can be fit enough go for trekking without being a burden to others.Please help me out.
Also please suggest a good gym around Bannerghatta road/JP Nagar area.Please.
Regards,
Kaushik
Old 30th January 2008, 23:37   #509
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Thanks Nikhil. Is this the one thats on Outer ring Road near Delmia building? I prefer doing my exercises by myself once a schedule is set.

Regarding your reps, does the new trainer know you are trying to lose weight? I thought exercises like jogging etc are most helpful in losing weight, but i could be wrong too.
No no... this is in Jayanagar. Very very far from Outer Ring Road.

And I do cardio. Everyday. On alternate days, I try to do 45 mins (15 mins on cycle + 15 mins on crosstrainer + 15 mins on cycle) or( CT+cycle+CT).

Leave that aside. I only want to know the technical part abt the reps and the weights to be used.
Old 30th January 2008, 23:40   #510
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Me too thinking of joining a Gym as I badly need to loose weight.I need to probably loose around 30 kilos of excess weight according to BMI(I'm around 100 for a height of 5ft9").How should I approach ? Should I first start by walking and gaining stemina?How do I gain stamina ,currently I've no stamina at all,I get tired after running just 3-4 minutes itself. I can walk on a flat surface for a 20/30 minutes without getting tired but running is not possible for me as of now.If I have to climb say more then 4-5 floors then it's a big task for me.
Another thing,will regularly playing badminton or tennis help?Along with the Gym or it's not necessary? I used to play before but now it's almost stopped.
My current goal is to loose as much as weight I can loose so that I can be fit enough go for trekking without being a burden to others.Please help me out.
Also please suggest a good gym around Bannerghatta road/JP Nagar area.Please.
Regards,
Kaushik
Talwalkars have a branch in JP nagar now. But it is pretty expensive. Generally, I try to renew my membership during August as they have some discount schemes during august. Otherwise, it is almost 20,000 for one year.

And playing any sport regularly (not necessarily everday) will improve your stamina TREMENDOUSLY !! No question abt it.

And to imrpove your stamina/fitness, you need to exercise regularly. If you dont join a gym, start walking around your neighbourhood everyday for abt 45 mins. Then start increasing the time to one hour. Then keeping it at one hour, start increasing your speed gradually.

Do not try running if you are not comfortable. You could injure yourself. Try cycling. It's a very very good exercise.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks