Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2008, 13:23   #796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
guys whats happening here, got my waist down to 34.7, after taking some before and after analysis, i can see my self a little lean then before , keeping my weight the same.
Thats how it should be done. The reducing waistline and increasing body weight is an indication that you're burning fat and putting on muscle.

Before joining the gym i used to go for 8km brisk walks every morning. While my overall body weight reduced from 103 to 91, i never felt fit/toned.

Then i started working out last Sept and have now reached 105kgs with a 2" reduction in my waistline. Inspite of being 14kgs heavier than when i started, i feel/look much better than before.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 20th December 2008 at 13:24.
Old 20th December 2008, 13:53   #797
BHPian

shan2nu : hmm 105 is huge.. now since u feel good about your look, i mean with that kind of weight i am sure your not an average guy, probably you should try out competitions if you really think you should. what ur height, i know u did mention it somewhere ? are you looking at putting more muscles in terms or mass or planning to get lean?? all the best dude!!
Old 20th December 2008, 14:41   #798
BHPian

Sohail - If it's size you're looking for, why don't you go heavier on your triceps? Increase the intensity with heavier weights and fewer reps. Go all out for a mass increase program.

You could also try this:

Hit your triceps before you work your chest. That way you'll have done the triceps without having fatigued them from the chest workout. I'm sure you'll go a lot heavier this way.
Old 20th December 2008, 15:02   #799
BHPian

Vikram, since u suggesting me to go 1st with triceps on the chest/tri day, wont it get tired then i dont think i would be able to to heavy on chest.. correct me if i am wrong, i know i would have to keep my reps to 8-10 range and sets should be down to 12. But then by the time i end my tri i would actually be crying in pain and wont be able to do much of chest exercises as in i usually do 12-15 sets with 10 -12 rp range.

I have'nt tried this yet, probably i should break the mindset to hit the muscle the right way, let me try it out on monday and see whats the result the next day

apart from that Deadlifts is something that i am looking at a major part specially for my back/Hams and somewhat quads, finding the right form is important as it involves my back mainly, how many sets and reps should i start with
Old 20th December 2008, 15:02   #800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
shan2nu : hmm 105 is huge.. now since u feel good about your look, i mean with that kind of weight i am sure your not an average guy, probably you should try out competitions if you really think you should. what ur height, i know u did mention it somewhere ? are you looking at putting more muscles in terms or mass or planning to get lean?? all the best dude!!
Nah, im not doing this to compete, its just on a personal level. Moreover im doing this without any supplements (all natural diet).

This is only my 15th month so got a long way to go.

Im basically looking at getting as big and strong as possible and then i will prob try and cut down on body fat a bit.

Iv posted some pics in my orkut profile, nothing in detail but atleast gives some idea of my progress.

orkut -

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 20th December 2008 at 15:05.
Old 20th December 2008, 15:11   #801
BHPian

exactly the way i did, started at 21years of age, with 50 kgs bodyweight (dont know whether it was fat? or muscle? or bones? or skin?) lols, at 21years 8 months weighed 80kgs, then started playing around with the body by going upto 98 then 75 then 90 so been a lots of up and down now conrtolled at 88-90 so planning to get body fat down, trying different stuffs.

reason i spoke about my tris was because thought i was lacking in it. apart from that cant lift very heavy on bis. hence looking at strength training.

Edit: same here no supplements, only natural diet, just dont get the time to have enuff chickens lols so dal, roti, boiled eggs, oatmeat, fruits, dates, almonds milk, cereals. hehe ocassionally beaf stakes lols

Last edited by SohailPistawala : 20th December 2008 at 15:14.
Old 20th December 2008, 22:28   #802
BHPian

@ Sohail: What workout did you follow to reduce waist size? Cardio?
@ Shan2nu: If you have posted your workout routine on this thread, a pointer to it please?
Old 21st December 2008, 00:12   #803
BHPian

Sohail - The reason why I suggested you do the Tri first is exactly that! When you do a heavy chest routine, you've fatigued your triceps before you actually start hitting them and that's why they aren't growing as much.
If you're looking for size, keep the reps in a 6-8 rep range and, after a warmup set, do the heaviest set first. get 6-8 reps from the first set. then lower the weight a bit, get around 8 reps. then, without dropping the weight, do the 3rd set with the same wt. used for the 2nd set and try to get 6 reps. This should certainly shock ur triceps into growing.

As I rule, I don't do more than 10 reps for any set.

Another thing you could try is a strip set. This should be used only to shock muscles and works really well for both biceps and triceps. Once a month is good enough or you'll end up seriously overtraining.

Do this when your triceps are well rested and you're not planning on hitting any other body part.

Go to the tricep pushdown machine (the cable kind), with a stack of plates . After a warmup set of about 8-10 reps at say 60% of 1 rep max, load the heaviest weight that you can push.
Don't count reps, just push to failure, maintaining good form. As soon as you reach failure, have a partner reduce the weight by 10lbs. again push to failure. Do this until you run out of plates. Trust me, if you do this without cheating and resting, you'll feel a burn like you've never imagined possible, and you'll work every damn strand of muscle fibre. The worst set will be the last one when you're pushing down something like 5 or 10Lbs!
The keywords here are NO REST and going to failure on every set!
Try it.

When my instructor made me do this for the very first time, he asked me to close my eyes and just push. at the fag end of the strip set, I was wheezing and grunting and cursing the old man for loading the damn machine to the max. When i was told to open my eyes I see this HUGE grin on the old man's face; i was pushing 5lbs and believe me, it felt like 150!

Last edited by vikram18 : 21st December 2008 at 00:14.
Old 21st December 2008, 10:53   #804
Senior - BHPian

Won't advice going for triceps workout before doing chest. You won't be able to hit your chest with anything since your triceps will already be fatigued a lot. Why not go for different splits instead?

This is what I do currently and gaining power and muscle almost every week. And I've been lifting for almost a year now, and have already hit a wall once before, so it's not newbie-power-gain syndrome where your nervous system is the limit...

Monday morning: Chest + Back
Tuesday: Break
Wednesday evening: Shoulder + Legs
Thursday: Break
Friday evening: Biceps and Triceps.
Saturday: Break
Sunday morning: Sprinting

Currently doing Nitrotech protein supplements (1 serving everyday), and 6 raw eggs (3 full, 3 egg whites) everyday. No time and motivation to cook eggs lol.
Old 21st December 2008, 14:54   #805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ Shan2nu: If you have posted your workout routine on this thread, a pointer to it please?
Heres how i do it :

S1 - Chest
S2 - Biceps/Lower Forearm
S3 - Triceps/Upper Forearm
S4 - Shoulders
S5 - Back
S6 - Legs

I dont follow a Mon to Sat routine anymore, i choose my workout days based on how long it takes my body to recover from the previous session. If i feel sore the day after i do chest, i wont lift any weights until that soreness has gone completely. I workout for around 30-45 mins per session.

Most of my sets range between 6-12 reps. But I do one set to complete failure.

Diet wise : No supplements what so ever. Apart from my regular food intake. I drink a total of 8-10 raw eggs (with milk) everyday.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 21st December 2008 at 14:59.
Old 21st December 2008, 17:27   #806
BHPian

i would recommend two methods
1) assisting muscles worked out together
day 1 - chest + triceps
days 2 - back + biceps
day 3 - shoulders + forearms
day 4 - thighs + calves + lower back
2) opposing muscles worked out together (one muscle works and the other stretches)
day 1 - chest + back
day 2 - shoulders + biceps + triceps + forearms
day 3 - thighs + calves + lower back

i normally keep alternating between the above two combinations, unless I am doing something completely different to shock my muscles
Old 22nd December 2008, 10:21   #807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Heres how i do it :

S1 - Chest
S2 - Biceps/Lower Forearm
S3 - Triceps/Upper Forearm
S4 - Shoulders
S5 - Back
S6 - Legs
This is similar to what I follow. By back, you mean lats? What about abs?
And, how much weights do you lift for each body part? After how many days do you increase the weight? How many sets in general?

I increase the weight when I can comfortably finish about 15 reps in all three sets of one exercise (no. of sets depending on the exercise).

Sorry for too many questions. Problem is, the trainers at my gym are inconsistent. Some stay back only for a couple of weeks at a stretch before a new guy comes in!! So trying to learn on my own.
Old 23rd December 2008, 12:55   #808
Senior - BHPian

No fixed formula for me as to when to increase weight. I have a spotter around when I'm going for my max lifts, so if I cannot do it properly, he will help me with my form and whatever % of power I'm lacking.

Generally though, I try to increase the weight every 3 workouts of that particular muscle. That isn't sustainable though, and you will hit a wall one day. When that happens, you'll have to try something new.

And lats are a part of your back... along with many other muscles. Here's a directory I use to make new splits every 5-6 weeks. Incredibly useful for those who know their way around their body.
ExRx.net Exercise & Muscle Directory
Old 26th December 2008, 11:12   #809
BHPian

@pranavt

Thanks for the link, was very informative.
Old 26th December 2008, 14:06   #810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Here's a directory I use to make new splits every 5-6 weeks. Incredibly useful for those who know their way around their body.
ExRx.net Exercise & Muscle Directory
Thanks a lot for that link! Very useful.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks