Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2009, 20:02   #811
Senior - BHPian

Anyone here who comes to Maverick (within MS Ramaiah hospital compound) regularly ? I plan to restart my workouts after a break of almost an year ! I have lost all my energy being lazy physically and overworked mentally. I used to attend aerobic sessions for an year but got stopped as it got closed due to partner disputes.

Maverick has an annual fee of 11k which is the only economical option. Going for anything less than annual is a killing (half yearly being 8.5k etc.). Expecting some guidance from experts on the best timing, diet or supplements/drinks before or after workouts (used to have whey with peanut butter and milk before aerobics). I am 76 kilos right now (swinging between 75 to 85 since 5 years), 172 cms height. Main purpose is cutting the bad belly, developing decent biceps and waistline (swinging between 32 to 34 inches). Please gurus, enlighten !!

Last edited by shajufx : 12th January 2009 at 20:05.
Old 14th January 2009, 10:45   #812
BHPian

Hmm Shajufx welcome to bodybuilding club , answering some of your questions: Best timing: depends upon you, when you get the time, i workout in the evening, cant get up in the morning, and body is pretty stiff in the morning, need a lot of warmup before going on the weights, which is slightly different in the evening.
Diet: Eat right amount of proteins to add muscles, you will find lots of articles on google about right food for proteins, i am not into supplements, so will not be able to comment on it. you can read vikram's post on this thread about supplements, and the differences between whey and other products.
For cutting the bad belly, reduce on ur drinks (read : Alcohol) if in case u consume, go little easy on fatty foods, concentrate on cardio (read shantanu's post). Get a proper schedule which fits your body type and dont take tooooo many off's from the gym, you will get lazy to go back.

updates: Current waist 33.8, visible changes around the belly area, i think i have also lost some mass from my upper and lower body, got tensed about it but then, i know il can put the mass on with my diet. Changed the gym, worked out in the desi gym for 3 months, got a good offer from powerhouse gym at lower parel, opp phoenix mills, 1000bucks for 6 months lols, just transfered wifey's membership to my name so 1000 bucks was the transfer hehehe. let me know if any of our mumbai Tbhp members workout in this gym.
Old 14th January 2009, 12:55   #813
Senior - BHPian

Thanks buddy for the valuable pointers ! I have paid for the annual membership at Maverick although its on the highest side compared to the fee around 10 gyms in its 5 kms radius. In fact its my new year resolution to start workouts, though it got delayed 2 weeks.

Now here is how I will start my life at Maverick ! Membership taken on 13th, Pongal Holiday on 14th, Physio and Diet counselling on 15th (lasting 1 hour 15 mts), Workout planning and chart making on 16th (for 15 mts) and the first day at actual workout. The whole thing sounds very professional to me. There are trained instructors on duty, open from 5.30am to 10.30pm, all 7 days, with only the national or regional holidays as exception.

I have not bought any whey or protein and will wait for the diet counselling etc. to get into all that. This time I have taken it seriously, so I make myself follow the plan strictly because it involves higher cost. Average (lowest possible) cost per year is calculated like this;

Annual membership = 11000
Whey requirement = 30000 (considering 100 grms per day/ 2.5 kg per month X 12)
Petrol cost approx = 9000 (8 kms up & down, 25 days a month )
Its already giving a total of 50k per year. I dont dare to calculate the quantity of milk, eggs and other stuff that comes to picture on a daily basis. Man !!!! body building is expensive !! Is there any corporate brand sponsoring this stuff ?? The only way I can think of cutting down cost is jogging 8 kms instead of burning petrol. Or may be get a decent cycle to pedal the way !

Last edited by shajufx : 14th January 2009 at 12:59.
Old 14th January 2009, 14:16   #814
BHPian

Lols shajufx, thats one good calculation lols hehe, Bodybuilding is an expensive sport without any sponsorship.
Old 14th January 2009, 15:42   #815
Senior - BHPian

@shajufx- Guess you can save some money in the calculations for Whey protein. IMO its on the higher side. Also when you finish one box of say 2.5kg give a beak of a month or 2 and they start another box so your body can adjust. Too much whey proteing is also not good.
Old 14th January 2009, 15:57   #816
Senior - BHPian

Thanks harry, I am yet to decide on the quantity of whey after my meeting with the dietician tomorow. I will update here on what is suggested to me by a professional. Infact the calculation on whey I did above is less than the actual. I checked the 100% whey cost and it goes close to 45k a year for the 100 gram per day average.

Let me clarify the whey calculation I did in the previous post. Correct me if I am misguided by my previous instructor (also same found on many professional body building sites). Protein intake is calculated as 1 gram or 1.5 gram per pound of total body weight. I am 76 kgs/ 167.6 pounds. So that is 167 X 1 gram = 167 grams per day as lower calculation (in 3 or 4 shots). Higher side is for serious body builders which would be 167 X 1.5 grams = 250 grams per day, which is 6.250 kilos a month, that is again 75 kilos a year !!!!!! Take an average of Rs.1200 per kilo, it totals to 90k in a year. I am fainting !! I am looking for a job in the whey manufacturing companies ! The weirdest feeling I got was when I checked the total food expense of 3 adults and 1 kid a month = less than 10k at the maximum.

Last edited by shajufx : 14th January 2009 at 16:04.
Old 14th January 2009, 16:06   #817
Team-BHP Support

I suggest you get a blood uric acid test done after couple of months of diet control. So add 200rs to your budget. Its just a simple blood test.
Old 14th January 2009, 18:30   #818
Senior - BHPian

You don't need so many whey protein shakes, you're better off getting a higher percent of your protein intake from daily food. Supplements are just that. Supplements. Don't use them as your primary source of any nutrient.
Old 15th January 2009, 15:13   #819
Senior - BHPian

Today I had my Physio session ( 1 hour 30 mts ) and the meeting with the Dietician (45 mts) as part of my first day at the Gym. Here are the details (may be useful for the newbies to gymming);

Physio session: (wearing only track pant, no T-shirt,shoe or socks)
Started with the Body analysis, bone structure inspection, Joints, Skin, Fat collected areas etc. in the standing position. Then to the inspection bed facing up later facing down for detailed bone, joints analysis. It included folding of legs and hands to different directions for checking the flexibility. Moved to the floor mat for stretching of various types for examination of muscles, veins, shoulders, neck etc. Fat content was measured from chest, abdomen, biceps etc. Stregth analysis was done by push ups, lifting and holding the body on one arm and leg, on bum, on fist etc. Later cardio session included tread mill brisk walk (with all clothes ON) of 1.6 kms which I finished in 15 mts graded as 'POOR'. Good and Excellent comes in the 12 mts and 10 mts range. Thanks to my lazy bum for doing nothing in the last 8 months !

I entered the main workout area for the treadmill and was surprised to see the number of girls/women (atleast counted 10 of them) at 10.30am !! Dont these people study or work at all ? I prefered a workout time from 9am to 10am assuming its less crowded. Today was my analysis day, so it started from 9.15am and went on until 11.45am, no workout except the 15 mts tread mill part.

Meeting with the Dietician
It was nothing but analysing my food habits, quantity and types of food on a regular basis. Herditary/ gene related health issues, existing health issues in the family etc were discussed. Later it came to the weight gaining but fat cutting topic which included analysing most common type of food that is prepared in our houses. She has suggested no WHEY for 2 months, but compensating it with egg whites, beans, soyamilk and curd. I will get the full charting of my diet within 2 working days, I will update on that area with correct informations.

My target is: Reduce the fat (abodomen, side body etc.) and build muscles with a 10 kilo weight gain in 3 months, as I call it short term aim. Then comes 6 packs and an adorable body by the end of 2009 ! I wish to spent more time at swimming pools, beaches and similar places in 2010. May be that is too much to wish for. Lets see !!

I am growing my hair (now its 4 months uncut) inspired by our dear Yeti ! Can anyone suggest a decent head wear, head band, hair clip etc. for gym time ? Its greatly appreciated, I could not find a proper one after searching in some branded shops. Today I was wearing a skull cap (but head starts sweating after a while), my hair in the morning gives a 'mad-man look' without controlling it with some head band !
Old 15th January 2009, 18:16   #820
Senior - BHPian

@Shaju- nice info. Quiet correct one as well.
Try the head bands from Reebok as they are really good. I dont have long hair but during workouts i use them so hair may not fly on face and also controls the sweat coming on to the face hence concenteration is better which is very essential in body building.
Old 16th January 2009, 10:32   #821
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Later cardio session included tread mill brisk walk (with all clothes ON) of 1.6 kms which I finished in 15 mts graded as 'POOR'. Good and Excellent comes in the 12 mts and 10 mts range.
I dont really agree with this method.

Its not the rate at which you walk but the amount of effort your body has to put in that counts.

Its like comparing 2 cars with the exact same specs but one running on 12" wheels while the other is on 16" wheels. At a given cruising speed, the car with the smaller wheels will need more throttle, be at a higher engine speed and thus burn more fuel.

So, if you compare 2 guys who are 6'5" and 5'2", capable of doing 1.6kms in 10 mins. I would say the smaller guy is definately in a much better shape.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 16th January 2009 at 10:33.
Old 16th January 2009, 12:52   #822
Senior - BHPian

I felt the same thing while I was doing it. But I did not know how the grading was going to be based on the time factor. Later I saw the Physiotherapist marking my time as 15 mts for 1.6 kms and grading as 'poor'. If I knew about this part, I would have increased my speed to 7 or 8 and finished it within 10 mts flat. But my strong feeling is, if I walk 1.6 kms in the outdoors, I might not take even 10 mts, not sure, just a feel ! This is based on my 'getting-used-to' delay factor of the electric tread mill. I have always used a manual one, never tried an electric till yesterday.
Old 16th January 2009, 13:05   #823
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
If I knew about this part, I would have increased my speed to 7 or 8 and finished it within 10 mts flat. But my strong feeling is, if I walk 1.6 kms in the outdoors, I might not take even 10 mts, not sure, just a feel !
Since I use treadmill regularly, I know about the timings. To do 1.6Kms or 1 mile in 10 minutes, you have to run at 9.6Kmph or 6mph. To walk 1.6Kms in less than 10 minutes, you must be 12ft tall, at least. Never heard of anybody doing 9.6Kms in an hour by walking, you have to run at a good pace, if not sprint.

Quote:
So, if you compare 2 guys who are 6'5" and 5'2", capable of doing 1.6kms in 10 mins. I would say the smaller guy is definately in a much better shape.
Not really, the short guy would be much lighter than the taller guy, so it evens out. Generally this is a good method to measure in the absence of precise methods.
Old 16th January 2009, 13:14   #824
Senior - BHPian

So, to summarise, I am not a bad walker ! Thanks for the flowing infos, its greatly helpful to a learning mind. The number displayed on the speed of the tread mill is kmph ? I didnt know that. Means if I walk on the speed 5, I will complete 5 kms in 1 hour ? Similarly if I jog on speed 10, I do 10 kms in 1 hour ? Thanks again in advance. Just getting used to some machineries for the first time.

Last edited by shajufx : 16th January 2009 at 13:19.
Old 16th January 2009, 13:40   #825
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
But my strong feeling is, if I walk 1.6 kms in the outdoors, I might not take even 10 mts, not sure, just a feel !
Actually, outdoor cardio exercises are more difficult to do than the same cardio exercises indoors, due to the hardness of ground outside and resultant higher impact on knees.

Last edited by theMAG : 16th January 2009 at 13:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks