Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2009, 17:09   #871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think so! That is simply TOO much time for "recovery" and that means you hit every muscle group just ONCE a week, instead of thrice, like he is doing right now.
It might work for someone who is into very heavy training and is training to complete failure and wants to GAIN!
Yep, it surely is working for me. I give atleast 1 day gap between each workout but make each workout count with heavy weights.

But for someone trying to lose fat and tone up a bit, you should lift lighter weights (anything that lets you do around 12-15reps), stress more on cardio and train as often as possible.

Shan2nu
Old 20th January 2009, 19:22   #872
Senior - BHPian

Gold Gym is opening up near my sector. Any reviews regarding that?
Also is anyone here who is a member or had been a member of same?
Old 20th January 2009, 19:28   #873
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
Weight training aids fat loss. For someone who is relatively new to weights, it is always a better idea to start off with circuit training, so that all the muscle groups are worked in every session. Circuit training can also have mild aerobic efects; much better for fat loss again!

If he does weights everyday, where will he find the energy for cardio, that he needs more at this point of time?
Yeah my bad, I was talking about his specific workouts. Pretty sure he isn't working towards a stage-show posing body, hence was saying that his weight training is to firm up his body. I've lost my last 15kgs doing just weight-training so I know it's beneficial. But beginners are generally not made to do heavy weights, and judging by the number of reps assigned to him, the weight is going to be pretty low, hence my statement that he can easily recover his muscles. As for the energy, I think his diet is heavy enough to give him energy for cardio. If he still feels like he doesn't have enough energy, he can have 2 bananas around 30-45 mins before his workout.
Old 20th January 2009, 19:52   #874
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the comments so far ! Expecting more on the workout and diet stuff. Infact I will be able to give a proper feedback of what I am doing right now towards January end, being on proper diet and workout for atleast 10 days.

Defenitely I am not working towards a show off body, target is only cutting down fat and replacing them with decent muscles, which means decent figure with a crew neck perfect-fit Tshirt. Weight training is going easy for me right now. Most lifting, pulling, pushing stuff are limited within 25 kilos. It might be increased to 35 kilos after a month. On energy issue, I find lack of it on the cardio day. Its due to the 15 mts tread mill, 15 mts Efx and 20 mts cycling in a row. Personally I feel the need of either Whey or something else before the workout to solve this.
Old 20th January 2009, 20:17   #875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Personally I feel the need of either Whey or something else before the workout to solve this.
a banana or two, 30 minutes before workout, should you give enough energy if you are feeling low. Fruits are immediately digested and use to release energy, infact due to their fructose content, digestion of fruits begins in mouth itself when it comes in contact with saliva.
Protein on the other hand is good for muscle building not short term energy requirements and whey is not going to solve your problem. Protein is digested in the stomach and can take anywhere between 1-5 hrs depending on the source. You can have whey after workout or at night, 1hr before you sleep though.
Old 20th January 2009, 21:22   #876
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Thanks for the comments so far ! Expecting more on the workout and diet stuff. Infact I will be able to give a proper feedback of what I am doing right now towards January end, being on proper diet and workout for atleast 10 days.

Defenitely I am not working towards a show off body, target is only cutting down fat and replacing them with decent muscles, which means decent figure with a crew neck perfect-fit Tshirt. Weight training is going easy for me right now. Most lifting, pulling, pushing stuff are limited within 25 kilos. It might be increased to 35 kilos after a month. On energy issue, I find lack of it on the cardio day. Its due to the 15 mts tread mill, 15 mts Efx and 20 mts cycling in a row. Personally I feel the need of either Whey or something else before the workout to solve this.
Whey protein is not for instant energy, it's used by the body for muscle-recovery. Stick to bananas. You don't really need supplements at this time, you're better off getting those carbs and proteins through food which will actually fill you and not keep you hungry.
Old 20th January 2009, 21:29   #877
BANNED

You can achieve a lot of targets (whatever they may be) without whey or any fancy supplements, believe me. PM if in doubt.

Last edited by hrag : 20th January 2009 at 21:30.
Old 21st January 2009, 00:05   #878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
a banana or two, 30 minutes before workout, should you give enough energy if you are feeling low. Fruits are immediately digested and use to release energy, infact due to their fructose content, digestion of fruits begins in mouth itself when it comes in contact with saliva.
Protein on the other hand is good for muscle building not short term energy requirements and whey is not going to solve your problem. Protein is digested in the stomach and can take anywhere between 1-5 hrs depending on the source. You can have whey after workout or at night, 1hr before you sleep though.

Therein lies a problem. Banana is a simple carbohydrate and digests fast causing elevated blood sugar levels in your system . Due to this there is a short term feeling of high energy until the insulin kicks in to moderate the blood sugar levels. As a result you end up with an insulin spike causing a rather rapid drop in blood sugar. Due to this some people feel a sudden drop in energy levels midway through their workouts and are unable to continue or perform satisfactorily.

It is better to a have a medium carb or complex carb prior to your workout. you will have to figure out what works best depending upon your individual metabolism.
That way you have acontinuous trickle of energy in your blood allowing you to have good workouts without any sudden energy loss concerns.

For those who are training hard and using supplements, a shot of whey with a complex carb 45-60 mins prior to your workout will give you better results than gulping a protein shake port workout.
Mind you both ways work, but the 1st option is better.
cheers:
Happy pumping.
Old 21st January 2009, 00:30   #879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
For those who are training hard and using supplements, a shot of whey with a complex carb 45-60 mins prior to your workout will give you better results
I remember reading somewhere that protein pre-workout actually interferes rather than help. Must look into my archives to see if I can find it.
Old 21st January 2009, 10:05   #880
Senior - BHPian

I am working out for 5 days a week:

Monday - Chest
Tuesday - Crunches/abs
Wed - Thighs
Thursday - Crunches/abs
Friday - Biceps/Triceps

Is 5 days enough in a week? I am not seeing the results as such. Probably I need to do something else?

PS: I started out on 15 December, 08.
Old 21st January 2009, 10:28   #881
BHPian

@ Amtak - You aren't working your shoulders and back at all? No Cardio either?
What is your fitness goal? How many sets / reps?
Old 21st January 2009, 10:48   #882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
am working out for 5 days a week:

Is 5 days enough in a week? I am not seeing the results as such. Probably I need to do something else?

PS: I started out on 15 December, 08.
You're expecting too much too soon. It's only been a month since you've started and your body is just begining to get used to the routine let alone putting on muscle.

It will take atleast 5 months before you start noticing a difference.

How often you workout depends on your physical goals.

For sheer mass, 5 times a week is overkill. Reduce it to 3 times a week and prob do some light cardio on the other days.

Shan2nu
Old 21st January 2009, 11:01   #883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post

For sheer mass, 5 times a week is overkill. Reduce it to 3 times a week and prob do some light cardio on the other days.

Shan2nu
I thought so. That's why I just do Abs on alternate days and nothing else. I can see some difference in my arms though
Old 21st January 2009, 11:24   #884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Maybe 60lbs in total, i.e. 30lbs on each side during a bench press
Hell no. My bench press is only 20lbs .60 is what i do in lats. The day I do a benchpress of 60lb i would be verrry verrry happy
Old 21st January 2009, 11:32   #885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
Hell no. My bench press is only 20lbs .60 is what i do in lats. The day I do a benchpress of 60lb i would be verrry verrry happy

OT

what are you doing in this thread!

60 ml? cheers:

Most Viewed