Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2009, 22:24   #946
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Harry, good that you're running. Your endurance levels should be good. Just start weight training, progressing to heavy weights within a few months. My recommendation would be to stick to heavy compound variations like bench presses, military presses, pull-ups/rowing, squats, etc. I've read a quote somewhere saying that you don't need to do isolation exercises for any muscle till the time you can contract that muscle in isolation, and I believe in it.
Old 6th March 2009, 01:48   #947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Absolutely right as stated by Vikram. Just to add- Diet is one of the key factors. No matter how hard you train and what supplement you take but if diet is not proper you wont get the results.
Protein post workouts is always better as every time you work out you are tearing down muscles and then rebuilding them. Protein is necessary to repair and rebuild your muscles.
Thanks guys! My diet is quiet controlled... but not sure what its like from the body building perspective. Also I have included soya chunks in the main meal (lunch). How do they compare?

As for having protein post work out... I think that wont apply to Threptin, right? Since caesin is absorbed very slowly, its logical to have it say an hour before working out/running.
Old 7th March 2009, 04:40   #948
BHPian

Swimming can also help in raising endurance levels. could also be a good cardio workout for people too bored with the the monotonous treadmill
Old 7th March 2009, 15:53   #949
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
As for having protein post work out... I think that wont apply to Threptin, right? Since caesin is absorbed very slowly, its logical to have it say an hour before working out/running.
You have it after the workout, when you're hopefully resting. That's when your body really needs the protein, casein, carbs, etc..
Old 9th March 2009, 15:01   #950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Threptin biscuits are good for that and no harm in taking them. Will suggest stay with the same.
Quote:
Thanks! But how do other suppliments like Whey protein compare with this? It seems Whey is the fav of people here... hence the question. And whats better for bulking up ...or would both be the same? Of course assuming that one has the Treptins mebbe an hour before the work out... as its slow releasing.
Why fix something thats not broken? You're lucky in that you've zeroed in on a remedy. Most of us jocks spend more money/time/effort in finding what works for us/ what doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_mania View Post
i am new to this.what kind of work out should i perform and diet should i take to build muscle.currently im 5 feet 3 and 48 kgs
What is your waist size?

Quote:
All the major brands of US. He deals only in the foreign brands and no local brands.
Does he retail them to t-bhpians??

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
You have it after the workout, when you're hopefully resting. That's when your body really needs the protein, casein, carbs, etc..
If I may add, from experience, Protein should be consumed both post AND pre workout. Postw/o nutrition is the most important, undoubtedly. But when "bioavailabilty" factors in, having free-form amino acids in the bloodstream right when they're required (>55mins into the w/o. +/- ) will give an 8psi boost to the anabolic state of affairs.

Quote:
Am not fat as can be seen from my display pic but will be losing a couple of kg's as well. Main aim will be - building muscle/strength
You'll definitlely be working out intensely then. Manipulate your carb/fat intake to lose the fat. Cardio, to me, is cannibalisation of muscle.

Gaah I feel like such a Keyboard Jock(ey). Off for some mutton-kebabs. Or horse meat?
Old 9th March 2009, 17:39   #951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by godog View Post
Why fix something thats not broken? You're lucky in that you've zeroed in on a remedy. Most of us jocks spend more money/time/effort in finding what works for us/ what doesn't.

You'll definitlely be working out intensely then. Manipulate your carb/fat intake to lose the fat. Cardio, to me, is cannibalisation of muscle.

Gaah I feel like such a Keyboard Jock(ey). Off for some mutton-kebabs. Or horse meat?
I'd seriously agree to that. Caesin (Threptin), half to 1 hour before work out/running seems to work well for me. So nothing is really "broken" to being with. I was just wondering if there is a better regime. Also, since caesin is quite slow to digest (takes hours), protein will be available even after the work out.

I'm 5'10 and about 73 kg (when I last checked). Finding it a bit difficult to increase my weight/muscle more. Do you think too much running is making it difficult? I was running 1 to 1.5 hours in the winters... and about 45 mins. as of now.
Old 9th March 2009, 18:21   #952
BHPian

huh, I weigh 58 kgs and I go to the gym, people throw odd looks at me, still it hasnt rattled me at all, what the hell !
Old 10th March 2009, 00:39   #953
BHPian

Swimming Vs Running ?

Agreed both are cardio exercises, any idea which is better among swimming and running (on treadmill) if the goal is to lose weight and improve overall fitness for a 25 yr old ?

If anyone has any idea please let me know the following details regarding both exercises (45 mins freestyle swimming vs 45 mins running at 10 kmph average)

1. Calories burnt
2. Muscles impacted

I love swimming, but I dont feel tired or out of breath even after 45 mins of freestyle swim. But if I run for 45 mins on a treadmill at 10 kmph avg, I feel exhausted (not out of breath).

So wondering which is better of the two.
Old 11th March 2009, 12:47   #954
BHPian

Quote:
I'd seriously agree to that. Caesin (Threptin), half to 1 hour before work out/running seems to work well for me. So nothing is really "broken" to being with. I was just wondering if there is a better regime. Also, since caesin is quite slow to digest (takes hours), protein will be available even after the work out.

I'm 5'10 and about 73 kg (when I last checked). Finding it a bit difficult to increase my weight/muscle more. Do you think too much running is making it difficult? I was running 1 to 1.5 hours in the winters... and about 45 mins. as of now.
I absolutely do. If you love running, dont't fret about weight/muscle-mass. If you absolutely have to muscle-up, cut down on the intensity of your runs (shorten the duration/lessen the effort/cut down on the number of days you run).

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitaparadh View Post
Agreed both are cardio exercises, any idea which is better among swimming and running (on treadmill) if the goal is to lose weight and improve overall fitness for a 25 yr old ?
SWIMMING!!
Running on the treadmill severely impacts the knees (and to a lesser degree, hips). Swimming will not only save you on the joint pain, but also give you better skin!
Swimming Vs Running.
Old 11th March 2009, 17:31   #955
BHPian

Quote:

If anyone has any idea please let me know the following details regarding both exercises (45 mins freestyle swimming vs 45 mins running at 10 kmph average)

1. Calories burnt
2. Muscles impacted

I love swimming, but I dont feel tired or out of breath even after 45 mins of freestyle swim. But if I run for 45 mins on a treadmill at 10 kmph avg, I feel exhausted (not out of breath).

So wondering which is better of the two.
So wondering which is better of the two.[/quote]
Swimming helps you in getting a ripped body overall.. especially the V shape everyone is looking for. I can tell you from personal experience there is no cardio like swimming. Also its a complex exercise that works out almost every part of you body from ur arms to your back to your glutes, thighs and calves. when you are swimming the medium around you is water which is usually cooler and a better insulation compared to air not allowing body temperatures to rise like they do on the treadmill; nor can you feel yourself sweat while swimming. Although the correct technique of freestyle swimming and the rate and quantity at which you displace water to propel yourself is exactly like the rpm on your treadmill so if you try to push more and go faster it will get you exhausted even quicker than running. Also the degree at which you can command control over your cardio vascular organs in such an exercise is way higher. Everything ive mentioned here is just a personal experience of being a professional swimmer for 11 years.
Old 12th March 2009, 20:17   #956
BHPian

@godog
Quote:
but also give you better skin!
How??
I thought the chlorinated water in swimming pool is bad for skin.
Old 12th March 2009, 23:57   #957
BHPian

Quote:
@godog

How??
I thought the chlorinated water in swimming pool is bad for skin.

I may have jumped the gun here, and was waiting for someone to point this out. I've been reading lately about the benefits of cold showers. I experienced this as well, when the season changed. My thobda (skin on the face) has all but cleaned up as compared to January.

Its all broscience, not based on research.

Old 13th March 2009, 02:12   #958
Senior - BHPian

the water makes you dry, old skin cells fall off, you run for moisturizer, and there you go, fresher skin.

Old 13th March 2009, 03:43   #959
BHPian

Hi body builder gurujis,

I have a few Queries. I want to gain some weight but as I am working on a 24*7 basis I dont have time to go to the gym. Please let me know what exercise can I perform at home and what suppliments should I take that will have no side effects. Lso let me know the amount that I should take/day and the best time during the day to take those. Also let me know where I can get the suppliments.
I dont want to become a bodybuilder. Just want to gain around 6-7 kgs of weight
Hmpf!! lot of questions

BTW, m 5.10" and weight 59kgs

Last edited by wmax : 13th March 2009 at 03:46.
Old 13th March 2009, 04:34   #960
BHPian

OT

@godog
Quote:
Its all broscience
By any chance do you watch "How I met your mother ?"

This sounded like a typical Barney dialog from there !!

Most Viewed