Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2009, 11:34   #1006
BHPian

Wmax - You can try Optimum Nutrition's 100% Gold standard Whey Protein, Initially i would suggest you two scoops a day and the two best timing to consume a Whey protein is first thing in the morning (along with your breakfast) and Post workout. If you plan to continue using Whey for a long time then it is always better to buy it in larger quantity(5 or 10lb) because it will workout little cheaper. A 5lb container would cost you around Rs 3800 - 4000
Old 17th March 2009, 11:40   #1007
Senior - BHPian

I need some help in sourcing ON gold standard whey protein.Can any of you tell me where i can get this in delhi.Any proper dealers in delhi.I have also heard about a lot of fake ON whey protein in the market.
Old 17th March 2009, 11:48   #1008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
^ Take protein supplements like a supplement.
Your daily protein requirement per day in anabolizing phase would be around 2 g per kg of body weight.

So you require 120g of proteins daily. You can get that easily from non-veg items.
You can work it out by checking the weight of the non-veg item you are pickingup.

This is a very rought thumbrule - but then I think it suffices.
For most meat items - you take the boneless weight and divide by 4. Thats the amount of proteins in them.
For hen eggs its - 4 g of proteins in eggwhites. Egg yolk has approx 2 g of proteins. Lots of fat and vitamins and minerals. But keep a control on egg yolks - not more 2 per day.
Milk - 1 glass (250-300ml) is around 10 g proteins.

Dont forget you are getting proteins for other sources too like legumes, wheat, etc

Now when you are getting your daily fill of proteins, why do you need to spend truckloads of money to get protein.
Better would be save money now, eat properly, reach a plateau, and when you stop making gains, then think of taking supplements like creatine and nitro etc.
Yeah, thanks. Sticking to such a diet for some time would definitely help i guess

Quote:
As I said, forget about supplis for atleast one year.
okies! You are the boss .
For one year- No Suppliments!
Old 17th March 2009, 12:29   #1009
BHPian

Shajufx - I know a guy from neulife bangalore distributor and i always buy the stuff from him. If you buy it from a shop they will charge you MRP but this guy give it to me at a little lesser price. A 5lb ON Whey's MRP was 3.8k and i used to get it for 3.5k but now the prices are revised. This guy deals with products from ON, Ultimate nutrition, BSN, Labrada.
Old 17th March 2009, 13:12   #1010
BHPian

Quote:
I need some help in sourcing ON gold standard whey protein.Can any of you tell me where i can get this in delhi.Any proper dealers in delhi.I have also heard about a lot of fake ON whey protein in the market.
Here in Mumbai lots of fake whey in the grocery stores. Check if there is a neulife supplement store in your place, trusted importers.
ON's gold standard will be rupees 3400 for about 80 scoops.(they say 75 on the pack but for me they have always lasted 78-82, something to do with the powder packaging).

Quote:
okies! You are the boss .
For one year- No Suppliments!
How come? If you have just started then in about 3-4 months buy your first pack of creatine. It is one thing that seriously works.
1 year is too long to wait. 3-4 months of proper dieting should be enough for an amateur base foundation.
If you are working out in the evening, take around 40g casien protein with breakfast and a multi vitamin/mineral, and post workout take 5g of creatine and 40-60 grams of whey. You will start to see results soon. Then you can advance by experimenting with different compounds.

By the way, last few pages have been about supplements supplements supplements.
Let me just say that beginners, the human body is stubborn, very stubborn and it would prefer to remain in that normal state. You need to shock it every workout.
Change your variations every 2-3 months. Stop doing the same exercises.
Do super sets, negative sets, drop sets.

And most of all, keep increasing the weight!!! Even if you can only pull out 4-5 reps with help still do it on your last set!!
I see people in my gym using the same 40 pound dumbells for chest presses for over 2 years while I was using them within 6 months.

Increase the weight every time, your strength will increase too.

But remember, use proper technique, if your form is getting worse ask someone to spot you. You don't want to get injured and be out of the gym for a few months.
Or if you don't get injured you will land up with measly results after a few years since your muscles weren't targeted properly.

Try joining a gym with mirrors all around so you can see your form.

Also - What is everyone's favourite body part to train? Mine is back, I just love lat pulldowns.
Old 17th March 2009, 14:10   #1011
BHPian

i love to do pullups, but due to a small injury on my left forearm i cant do the wide grip ones, so i do the close grips, but now since my forearm is recovering i have started doin 5-7 wide grips with chin touch the bar, i would want to do atleast 20-25 at one go both front and back (where my neck comes close to the bar). No favourite Body part as such, i love my body completely, since i see an allround development.

Edit: I want someone to train me ROCKY Balboa style - RAW, you see the one hand pushups, medicine ball pushups, Clap pushups. LOLS will do it someday.

Last edited by SohailPistawala : 17th March 2009 at 14:22.
Old 17th March 2009, 14:41   #1012
BHPian

I have opted for a weight loss programme and I have been suggested to do weights for three days a week and cardio for the rest. Due to my Low BMR ( Basal Metabolic Rate) I have been advised a high intensity workout, which I am doing regularly. Due to the heavy weights, I have been advised to take calcium supplements. Can somebody please suggest what is the best supplement and how much should I take on daily basis.

Help would be appreciated.

Mansi
Old 17th March 2009, 15:07   #1013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaa45 View Post
I have opted for a weight loss programme and I have been suggested to do weights for three days a week and cardio for the rest. Due to my Low BMR ( Basal Metabolic Rate) I have been advised a high intensity workout, which I am doing regularly. Due to the heavy weights, I have been advised to take calcium supplements. Can somebody please suggest what is the best supplement and how much should I take on daily basis.

Help would be appreciated.

Mansi
Hi Mansi,
you can refer to this link for some info - Bodybuilding.com - Calcium Information and Product Listing! Calcium FAQ!

I'll agree with Vikram. Protein after workout is always best.

@gagan- Normally what happens is most people see others increasing weights and start increasing theirs without realising how much there body can stretch. Result - muscle wear and tear and injuries. I believe a person can judge easily how much he can lift and should progress slowly in increasing weights as his stamina increases gradually.

@Wmax- one year is a lot of time. if you are dedicated and hard working then you can start taking creatine in 2-3 months period and later graduate to protein supplements as well.

@Vikram- am starting gymming from april so will come back with loads of queries as kinda outta touch off late with all this.

CHeers
Old 17th March 2009, 15:46   #1014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagan.js View Post
Vikram, where do you shop?

Few pages back someone mentioned buying online from BB.com, although the charge for shipping to India is like 50$ I think its worth it when buying in bulk since the actual product is cheaper.
My friend owns a store in Pune, so I get my stuff from him at wholesale prices.

The problem with buying online is CUSTOMS, which most people simply don't seem to realise. The bigger your package, more the shipping and more the chances that it'll attract the attention of customs officials.

If you end up paying duty on the TOTAL value (including shipping), it's not such a sweet deal at all!

It's perfectly fine buying online if you're living in the US. I've done so numerous times when I have someone willing to carry the package back for me. That works out to be really cheap.

It's the duty charged on legal imports that makes supplements more expensive in India.
Old 17th March 2009, 15:59   #1015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shajufx - Stick to the directions on the pack and be careful! My buddy at the gym took too much of it last week and had trouble sleeping and had his legs shaking. You know..all that caffeine in the pre workout supplements, be careful

Shaju..where are you shopping??? Throw that ayurvedic junk out right now!
Yes I agree with you, I have gone through many international forums and learned many had issues on digestion, gas formation, sleep (when consumed in the evening) etc. I myself felt the excess gas formation while doing cardio today. So, the name justifies the result: NO-Explode = Your bum will explode every 10-15 mts. Also it tastes horrible. I have no clue how I will finish the bottle (mine is orange flavour). I will comment more on it as days pass. Today was my first day with just 1 scoop in 6 oz of cold water pre-workout !

Ayurvedic whey, I will mention the contents, so you people could comment on it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
Could you give me a list of ingredients in this powder? I'm quite curious as to what avurvedic contents are present.
Please read without laughing ! The product name = Muscle Man, 100% pure Whey protein manufactured by Shiv Shakti ayurved, Bahadurgarh, India, Branch Off: Chakala, Andheri east, Mumbai.
Composition per 100 gm;
Base SMC (whey protein) 85%
Asparagus Reemosus 1%
Withania Somnifera 1%
Tribulus Testerris 1%
Stivia 8%
Emblica Officinalis 2%
Prunus Amygda Batsh 2%

The company powders all these in the manually operated stone grinds and drys them in the shade (preferably under a neem tree), then sends to 10 pilgrim places in India where this powder becomes super natural and super powerful and is packed and supplied to many stores throughout India. There it finds victims like "myself" who agrees to throw Rs.695/- for a 500 grams bottle (equals to 23 kilos of Sona Masuri Premium Rice). Not to feel depressed after tasting, they also give a free 200 grms pack of Creatine (inside the bottle) for Lean Mass building !!

Quote:
Who all have tried buying online from bodybuilding.com store?
Yes, I am a poor, helpless, illiterate victim of that store. Offcourse the store is good but when imported here, you pay a price more than locally available. Shipping itself is US$50 and I ended up paying Rs.2900 as customs duty too ! Yes I got a shaker bottle free (worth max Rs.150/-), but its not worth paying above Rs.5000 for a shaker bottle made in china !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Circle View Post
Shajufx - I know a guy from neulife bangalore distributor and i always buy the stuff from him.
Please give me the location, contact number or any other guideline about the distributor or yourself. I would not want to make another mistake of importing.

Last edited by shajufx : 17th March 2009 at 16:01.
Old 17th March 2009, 16:39   #1016
BHPian

Please give me the location, contact number or any other guideline about the distributor or yourself. I would not want to make another mistake of importing.[/quote]

I always call him a day before i need the stuff and he delives it to my home since he stays very close to my house. I dont think we can directly buy it from their distributor shop, You can PM me when you need the stuff and i can have it arranged for you. BTW i stay near Mysore Rd
Old 17th March 2009, 16:47   #1017
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I am a poor, helpless, illiterate victim of that store. Offcourse the store is good but when imported here, you pay a price more than locally available. Shipping itself is US$50 and I ended up paying Rs.2900 as customs duty too ! Yes I got a shaker bottle free (worth max Rs.150/-), but its not worth paying above Rs.5000 for a shaker bottle made in china !
Hmm maybe im not reading this right but surely if your buying in bulk, upto 3 months stock, buying 10 pounders, the 2900 rupees duty will be neglible plus overall you would save money?
I know others who ordered online and didn't face customs. I guess you were unlucky.

By the way, No xplode is a really good product, how are your focus and intensity levels?
Old 17th March 2009, 17:51   #1018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Circle View Post
I always call him a day before i need the stuff and he delives it to my home since he stays very close to my house. I dont think we can directly buy it from their distributor shop, You can PM me when you need the stuff and i can have it arranged for you. BTW i stay near Mysore Rd
I am close to Hebbal flyover (Bangalore North). Please check with him if he delivers to north by any chance. You can even put his number here (with permission), I think it will be only a help. Thanks.

Quote:
but surely if your buying in bulk, upto 3 months stock, buying 10 pounders, the 2900 rupees duty will be neglible plus overall you would save money? I know others who ordered online and didn't face customs. I guess you were unlucky.

By the way, No xplode is a really good product, how are your focus and intensity levels?
Mine was a decent order weighing 4 kgs. Custom duty is based on the weight and product value as I understand, so if the total weight goes high, duty amount also goes up. Also there is a fixed % calculation for the customs on every item that lands here. So, getting through unnoticed is just 1% chance !

No xplode is reviewed to be a very good product, but tasting bad like a cough syrup ! Its supposed to be changing taste with the amount of water added into it, which has no restrictions. I did the tolerance test last week and went to wash the car, I was washing like a machine, never felt tired nor 'enough' as I usually feel. I think 1 scoop is not enough to see the 'real effect'. So, I will try 2 scoops tomorow and post the results !
Old 17th March 2009, 17:51   #1019
BHPian

My replies in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Composition per 100 gm;

Base SMC (whey protein) 85%
This is just WPC. The lactose in this form of whey will cause bloating, etc.

Asparagus Reemosus 1%
This is known as SHATAVARI. It is said to be an aphrodisiac. Probably to increase testosterone levels

Withania Somnifera 1%
This is ASHWAGANDHA or Indian Ginseng. Again another aphrodisiac

Tribulus Testerris 1%
Used to increase testosterone. favoured by bodybuilders when they come off a steroid cycle to boost natural testosterone production

Stivia 8%
This is probably "Stevia". It is a plant based low-cal sweetener

Emblica Officinalis 2%
This is nothing but AMLA or Indian Gooseberry, a great source of Vitamin C. Improves immunity and is an anti oxidant.

Prunus Amygda Batsh 2%
This leaves me clueless. The closest I can come to is Prunus Amygdala, which is bitter almonds. No clue as to its presence here. In very small doses it is a sedative. In larger doses it is toxic!
Now I know why they have included the free creatine. With all these aphrodisiacs, you sure will need the extra energy. Go for it stud!

Last edited by vikram18 : 17th March 2009 at 18:03.
Old 17th March 2009, 18:00   #1020
BHPian

Quote:
Hmm maybe im not reading this right but surely if your buying in bulk, upto 3 months stock, buying 10 pounders, the 2900 rupees duty will be neglible plus overall you would save money?
I know others who ordered online and didn't face customs. I guess you were unlucky.
The duty is a fixed percentage on the total bill. If your billing is more, so will the duty! It is very very rare, practically impossible, that a shipment this size and of this cost will escape customs. You can try if you want but it could be a VERY costly lesson.

I have ordered from abroad twice. The first was a small trial and the total was below $50. The courier told me anything above $50 attracts the custom officials' attention. So i was lucky the first time.

Sadly, it was the second time that I ordered was I told this by the courier, so I had to shell out a hefty amount to receive my package (in addition to letters stating this is not for sale and only intended for personal use).
IMHO, it's not worth the risk.

Quote:
No xplode is reviewed to be a very good product, but tasting bad like a cough syrup !
Welcome to the world of supplements

Quote:
I think 1 scoop is not enough to see the 'real effect'. So, I will try 2 scoops tomorow and post the results !
Please don't exceed the dosage. Along with twice the caffeine, you'll also be taking in twice the creatine; NOT ADVISABLE

Most Viewed