Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2009, 18:15   #1111
BHPian

I'm talking about Whey Protein which comes from milk. Right?
What other stuff you're talking about?
Old 3rd April 2009, 18:20   #1112
BHPian

1. Whey Protein slows the absorption of glucose into the bloodstream, which in turn lowers insulin levels and making it easier for the body to initiate lipolysis.

2. Whey protein contains bioactive components which directly stimulate the release of CCK and GLP-1, both powerful appetite suppresants.

Building lean muscle and raising metabolism is one half of the story.
Old 3rd April 2009, 19:04   #1113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
1. Whey Protein slows the absorption of glucose into the bloodstream, which in turn lowers insulin levels and making it easier for the body to initiate lipolysis.

2. Whey protein contains bioactive components which directly stimulate the release of CCK and GLP-1, both powerful appetite suppresants.
1. Any protein will do that, not just Whey. That does not make it a fat burner. Increasing the amount of quality protein in your diet will make you leaner. This is not restricted to whey protein alone.

2. What bioactive components are these, which are solely present in Whey?

CCK, when tested as an appetite suppresant in rats, worked best on young males. It was less effective in females and even less effective in older rats. It also had negligible effect on obese individuals!

GLP 1 has a half life of less than 2 minutes. It also causes satiety, not appetite suppression. That's the other half of the story.
Old 3rd April 2009, 19:25   #1114
BHPian

How do you define a fat burner?
Old 3rd April 2009, 19:38   #1115
Senior - BHPian

I think this link gives some light Why whey protein is the best diet shake for men
There is mention of fat burning helped by whey, reported in few other places too, I dont remember the links. Somewhere there is a supporting factor, but I am not technically sure.
Old 3rd April 2009, 20:37   #1116
BHPian

Quote:
Conventionally, a fat burner is something that raises your metabolism (thermogenic fat burners) causing you to burn fat. The best known and indeed the most effective was the ECA stack. Ephedra - Caffeine - Aspirin. Now that Ephedra is banned in the US, most fat burners contain caffeine, green tea extract, white tea extract etc.etc.

That is the definition of a fat burner as opposed to protein (Whey)

The difference is that fat burners do only that; they do not help you put on muscle mass etc. whereas if Whey causes you to lose fat, it is negligible compared to its muscle building properties. If whey were such an effective fat burner, you can be sure the supplement companies would have touted it as such and we'd already have whey pills as fat burners, but we don't!

It's a little like saying that water is a mineral supplement just because it contains a bit of 'em
Old 3rd April 2009, 20:49   #1117
BHPian

Whey pills as fat burners?? I don't get that. No fool would ever do that. These companies have easy access to caffeine, GTE and BOA.

As far as definition goes, EC HELPS burns fat because E has a powerful CNS effect. So do Whey Protein and some functional peptides derived from Whey.

When it comes to fat burning, EC gets 10/10 while Whey gets around 2/10. But both of them make good fat loss agents (to a varying degree)

Just as Hoodia adds to the fat burning power (although hoodia isn't a powerful burner), same is the case with whey protein. Those invaluable microfractions contained in whey act as a mild fat loss aid (if not a fat burner). When combined with training, Whey is the real deal (nowhere as EC)
Old 3rd April 2009, 22:13   #1118
BHPian

Quote:
A good quality Whey Protein DOES burn Fat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
Whey protein or any other protein for that matter does not burn fat. Ingesting protein only builds muscle, which in turn raises metabolism, which makes you leaner.
Quote:
I'm talking about Whey Protein which comes from milk. Right?
What other stuff you're talking about

Building lean muscle and raising metabolism is one half of the story.
Quote:
1. Any protein will do that, not just Whey. That does not make it a fat burner. Increasing the amount of quality protein in your diet will make you leaner. This is not restricted to whey protein alone.

CCK, when tested as an appetite suppresant in rats, worked best on young males. It was less effective in females and even less effective in older rats. It also had negligible effect on obese individuals!

GLP 1 has a half life of less than 2 minutes. It also causes satiety, not appetite suppression. That's the other half of the story.
Quote:
Quote:
Conventionally, a fat burner is something that raises your metabolism (thermogenic fat burners) causing you to burn fat. The best known and indeed the most effective was the ECA stack. Ephedra - Caffeine - Aspirin. Now that Ephedra is banned in the US, most fat burners contain caffeine, green tea extract, white tea extract etc.etc.

That is the definition of a fat burner as opposed to protein (Whey)

The difference is that fat burners do only that; they do not help you put on muscle mass etc. whereas if Whey causes you to lose fat, it is negligible compared to its muscle building properties. If whey were such an effective fat burner, you can be sure the supplement companies would have touted it as such and we'd already have whey pills as fat burners, but we don't!
Quote:
Whey pills as fat burners?? I don't get that. No fool would ever do that. These companies have easy access to caffeine, GTE and BOA.

As far as definition goes, EC HELPS burns fat because E has a powerful CNS effect. So do Whey Protein and some functional peptides derived from Whey.

When it comes to fat burning, EC gets 10/10 while Whey gets around 2/10. But both of them make good fat loss agents (to a varying degree)

Just as Hoodia adds to the fat burning power (although hoodia isn't a powerful burner), same is the case with whey protein. Those invaluable microfractions contained in whey act as a mild fat loss aid (if not a fat burner). When combined with training, Whey is the real deal (nowhere as EC)

Titans!! Do we call it a draw?
Old 3rd April 2009, 22:40   #1119
BHPian

Matter of opinion. Really.
Old 3rd April 2009, 22:43   #1120
BHPian

GoDog, sorry I coudn't get back to you earlier. Regarding Pro Peptide, I shall be having access to their full range anywhere in Mid June. No one in India stocks CNP products as of now because these products are costly and most importantly, majority of customers/retailers have no clue about their products.
Old 4th April 2009, 00:46   #1121
Senior - BHPian

Wow, glad I stayed out of that one. I think I'll stick to workouts and let the PHDs handle the supplement talk
Old 4th April 2009, 01:03   #1122
BHPian

why don't we stop arguing whether whey protein burns fat and buy a regular fat burner like hydroxycut ....it helped me shed 14 kilos in 3 months...without starving!!!
Old 4th April 2009, 01:22   #1123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In the summer, try this:
1 scoop of Vanilla Whey
1 apple, peeled, cored and diced
chilled yoghurt (to desired consistency)
a dash of fruit juice (for added flavor; I prefer Litchi)
Blend the above for delicious apple lassi!

Cheers!
vanilla, apple, lichi, you killed my appetite today .

what's for guys like me who have no sweet tooth?
Old 4th April 2009, 01:41   #1124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
vanilla, apple, lichi, you killed my appetite today .

what's for guys like me who have no sweet tooth?
Blend boneless chicken gravy, I suppose or drink your omelette batter
Old 4th April 2009, 23:52   #1125
BHPian

Quote:
GoDog, sorry I coudn't get back to you earlier. Regarding Pro Peptide, I shall be having access to their full range anywhere in Mid June. No one in India stocks CNP products as of now because these products are costly and most importantly, majority of customers/retailers have no clue about their products.
I'm in line waiting. laar tapak rahi hai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Wow, glad I stayed out of that one. I think I'll stick to workouts and let the PHDs handle the supplement talk
lol, I hear ya! I stick to bro science, hasn't let me down

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks