Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2009, 16:51   #991
Senior - BHPian

@Tarun and Vikram - Valid points, however discussion was getting bit personal and its good its ended now.
Strangely never heard about ON!
Old 16th March 2009, 16:55   #992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Strangely never heard about ON!
ON is nothing but optimum nutrition. It is the most famous whey brand.

Optimum Nutrition, The Bigger Picture
Old 16th March 2009, 18:06   #993
SuperSyn

An amateur question:

Everyone recommends to consume xyz grams of Whey protein post workout (and throughout the day, per individual requirements). But what is the prevailing thought on consuming Whey protein 20-30 minutes before your workout?

Does it provide any benefit in muscle growth/energy levels/stamina, or is this protein used as energy? What are the effects, really?

Old 16th March 2009, 21:48   #994
BHPian

Hello pros,
Having decided to hit the gym, I would like to know the vegeteranian food products which are high in protein. I do take egg, but apart from that no meat or supplements for me. So do i still stand a chance to have a good sculpted body?

-rajiv
Old 16th March 2009, 22:47   #995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSyn View Post
An amateur question:

Everyone recommends to consume xyz grams of Whey protein post workout (and throughout the day, per individual requirements). But what is the prevailing thought on consuming Whey protein 20-30 minutes before your workout?

Does it provide any benefit in muscle growth/energy levels/stamina, or is this protein used as energy? What are the effects, really?

As discussed earlier in the thread, pre-workout protein intake is the second most important part of nutrition (Most imp being post w/o). You're spot-on with the timing, though it differs from person-to-person and quality+type of whey protein. Skip back a few pages and you'll find the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMae View Post
Hello pros,
Having decided to hit the gym, I would like to know the vegeteranian food products which are high in protein. I do take egg, but apart from that no meat or supplements for me. So do i still stand a chance to have a good sculpted body?

-rajiv

Hi Rajiv, i'm no pro, neither am I a vegetarian, but I can attempt to answer your question from my limited knowledge:
1. Cottage Cheese (paneer)
2. Beans (Channa- black+white, Rajmah, Lobiya)
3. Cow's Milk
4. Lentils (Dals)
These are primary sources of vegetarian protein. Beans do not have a complete amino-profile, so Amino-acid supplementation is suggested after 2hours of bean-consumption.
Cottage cheese has "casein", which is a slow digesting protein, and beneficial as a dinner-meal.
I say "Cow's Milk" because it has the better protein/fat ratio. Goat's milk and other milks are treated as exotic varieties. (+ i dont know much about them )

btw, these are some of the cleanest (read leanest) forms of protein.

Then theres eggs but not exactly veggie-friendly. I loove eggs. (You could tell?)
Old 16th March 2009, 22:57   #996
Senior - BHPian

Oh Oh Oh, 1 week I was away and this place is like a debate corner !! I was thinking someone would ask, "where is that guy from bangalore gone with his excessively paid NO-Explode, Animal Pak and ON 100% Gold standard Whey ?". Unfortunately nobody asked that question.

I will start taking my NO-explode from tomorow as directed on the pack -1 scoop 30/40 mts before workout- and 1 scoop on empty stomach on no-workout day (only sunday). I am already taking my animal pak after dinner (multivitamin tablets -11 in a pack & 44 pack in a tin). I also make sure I have 2 scoops of whey in milk after workout. Overall these are things apart from a strict diet plan given by my dietician (posted in details few pages back here).

Whatever discussions/debates that are posted in the last 2 pages here dont make me any 'more educated' nor inspired. Because, scientific explanation of things dont get into my brain easily. If you guys can put things in simpler lines like "have 2 scoops of whey after workout, it will give you this much of protein", things would have been easier to understand.

Also, many have posted, there are many better products available in India itself, please post some of the best brands or names with prices if possible. It would be a great help when I am looking for my next can of powder in 2 or 3 weeks ! I like the taste of ON 100% gold standard whey in banana flavour. But I hate the indian version named 'Muscle Man' 100% whey with ayurvedic contents. I want to try different better tasting flavours. Suggestions and names please !
Old 16th March 2009, 23:33   #997
BHPian

Quote:

What you need to have pre workout are carbs and NO prodcuts. Protein before workout would be used up as energy instead of building muscle so its not very useful, only a few take it pre workout.
As for NO products they are very nice from my personal opinion. Your focus and intensity sky rockets and your workouts are simply addictive, which is a good thing.
It is a pre workout supplement to increase energy and focus.

Quote:
See this is why protein shakes are so convenient. Being vegetarian, you can take them to add up the daily amount throughout your meals. Look for the green square on the boxes for veg Protein powers. 100% gold standard by ON is veg and a very good product. I use it myself.
However you can leave the whey for only post workout and take casien throughout the day.

I know you said no supplements, but if you want the sculpted body, it is very hard to rack up the grams of protein through solid meals. You need those protein shakes.

As for veg foods with protein - dairy(egg, milk cheese), most beans, peanuts, almonds, cashew, flax seed, those are all I can think off the top of my head.
Not much of a choice for veg so do buy protein shakes. They are veg too.

Shajufx - Stick to the directions on the pack and be careful! My buddy at the gym took too much of it last week and had trouble sleeping and had his legs shaking.
You know..all that caffeine in the pre workout supplements, be careful

Shaju..where are you shopping??? Throw that ayurvedic junk out right now!
I personally have been hearing a lot about our general stores selling fake brands etc so I have lost my trust in them. I only shop from neulife supplements stores as they are importers and I've been buying from them for a long time.

As for prices, umm lets see

I bought creatine mono, from ON - 700rupess, 60 servings- lasts more than 60 though haha

100 gold standard protein from ON, 5 pound pack - 3460 rupees about 80 scoops

Syntha6 2.9 pound tub - 2707 rupees- everything is overpriced from BSN, although no xplode and cell mass are worth it imo

pro gainer complex from ON - 2800 I think - Was worth it, 28 servings of that big scoop with 60g protein and ~550 calories per

Neulife stores keep Bsn, Labrada, ON, VPX

If you live in mumbai theres one in bandra opposite golds and one in lokhandwala

Ive been hearing so much about fake products, after all this is still India so I only trust neulife stores.

Everyone - buy the 2 pound tubs when trying and only buy 5 and 10 pound packs, you will save a lot of money since everything is so overpriced here.
Old 17th March 2009, 00:00   #998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSyn View Post
An amateur question:

Protein is not stored in the body and therefore is best consumed throughout the day (at best around 40g each time). This ensures that there is always protein available whenever required by the body for building muscle (muscle, other than water, consists primarily of protein). Bodybuilders call this "positive nitrogen balance". Protein is the only component that contains nitrogen.

When you train with weights, you basically break down muscle fiber. This grows stronger when repaired. This is called hypertrophy. This is where your post-workout protein comes in. It is believed that there is a post-workout "protein window", when maximum protein is utilized for muscle tisue repair, hence the emphasis on protein post-workout.

There is a limit to how much protein can be used by the body at a time and hence it makes more sense to eat some protein with every meal, rather than just gulp huge protein shakes post workout. Since the body doesn't store protein, the excess will simply go down the toilet, literally!

Protein helps in building muscle; it has nothing to do with stamina. In fact, I remember reading something to the effect that too much protein pre workout can actually hamper your workout. This has been the prevalent belief so far.

Recently, one study that i read stated that it is indeed beneficial to take a pre workout carb-protein drink. In short, the theory is this. During exercise, there is increased bloodflow to the muscles, so if there is more protein in the bloodstream, more of it will reach the muscles. What this claims to do is that it prevents or reduces the muscle tissue broken down during intense exercise. This is claimed to be backed by research.

I'd say take some protein (this would have to be fast acting, so steaks are out) pre workout (a single serving will do, along with some carbs) and another post workout. Do this 30-45 mins prior to your workout; 20 mins is too little time.

I've tried to keep this in as simple English as possible, but will gladly answer queries, if any.

A couple of links for further reading on the same topic

Bodybuilding.com - Christopher Mohr - A Review Of Pre-Workout Nutrition Protocols And Ribose!

Pre- and Post-workout nutrition to maximize the training Effect

Last edited by vikram18 : 17th March 2009 at 00:02.
Old 17th March 2009, 00:48   #999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post

Recently, one study that i read stated that it is indeed beneficial to take a pre workout carb-protein drink. In short, the theory is this. During exercise, there is increased bloodflow to the muscles, so if there is more protein in the bloodstream, more of it will reach the muscles. What this claims to do is that it prevents or reduces the muscle tissue broken down during intense exercise. This is claimed to be backed by research.

I'd say take some protein (this would have to be fast acting, so steaks are out) pre workout (a single serving will do, along with some carbs) and another post workout. Do this 30-45 mins prior to your workout; 20 mins is too little time.

When consuming a Carb+Protein drink pre-workout, it does two things:
1. Carbs: Get broken down into glycogen, thus supply ample ATP to the mitochondria. This in-turn provides energy to lift the weight, and thus break down the muscle tissue more.
2. Protein: "Broken down into" amino-acids (by "Pepsin"), it is readily available to utilise the muscle-hypertrophy. Thus, the "repairs" start right-away. We want this to happen.

Protein

30-45 mins is too late for me. I'd like to keep that window for complex carbs (a banana, perhaps), and take the Protein a tad earlier.
Old 17th March 2009, 00:49   #1000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
But I hate the indian version named 'Muscle Man' 100% whey with ayurvedic contents.
Could you give me a list of ingredients in this powder? I'm quite curious as to what avurvedic contents are present. Even a decent res pic of the nutritional info will do. Thanks.

Some other brands you could try are:

Labrada - Lean Body
San - Volumass 5 (I think they've changed the name now)
Cytosport - Complete Whey Protein (this is WPC)
Cytosport - Evopro (Night time shake)
Old 17th March 2009, 01:02   #1001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMae View Post
Hello pros,
-rajiv
If you're training hard and eating big, you'll certainly make gains.

Out of 20 amino acids required by the body, 8 need to be provided through diet. These are known as essential amino acids or EAAs. A food source containing adequate amounts of ALL 8 EAAs is called a complete protein, or for the sake of easy usage, simply protein.

Meat is a very good source of complete protein and hence most favoured by bodybuilders.

Plant based protein sources are beans, whole grains, nuts and pulses.

The other protein sources for vegetarians are dairy products like milk, cheese, paneer, curds, etc.

Depending on your fitness goals, you could also consider supplementation with whey, casein etc. These are vegetarian as well.

Supplements never should be, and are indeed not, a replacement or a quick fix solution, so even if you do decide to use any, be judicious in your approach.

Include some clean fats like flax seed oil/olive oil or (if it doesn't go against your beliefs/religion/preference, fish oil capsules) in your diet. Fat is extremely anabolic and will help you make faster gains.

Please feel free to ask anything specific regarding your diet or workout regimen.
All the best.

Last edited by vikram18 : 17th March 2009 at 01:04.
Old 17th March 2009, 03:03   #1002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by godog View Post

30-45 mins is too late for me. I'd like to keep that window for complex carbs (a banana, perhaps), and take the Protein a tad earlier.
I was talking about the pre workout drink, not post. No windows open then
Old 17th March 2009, 09:59   #1003
BHPian

Vikram, where do you shop?

Few pages back someone mentioned buying online from BB.com, although the charge for shipping to India is like 50$ I think its worth it when buying in bulk since the actual product is cheaper.
They sell 15-20$ cheaper on most products so you could easily recover the shipping cost plus save money when buying 10 pounders. Also freebies like shirts bags and shakers can't hurt.

My friends in Florida say it's a very reputed and trusted store and they have have a lot of connections with all the companies(they have their own stands at shows) which enables them to sell at discounted prices. Almost everyone he says buys products online to save up.

Who all have tried buying online from bodybuilding.com store?
Old 17th March 2009, 11:05   #1004
BHPian

@ Alpha1, Vikram18 & Red Circle

Thank you for your suggestions. Now what I have planned is to take out at least 1 hour out of my daily schedule for work out. If one has to increase weight definitely one has to eat more than how much he used to eat before.

Now with a healthy diet I would like to know about any suppliment which would help me more like whey protein... etc etc. Please suggest me a good protein powder which would help me gain weight along wth my rich diet and workout.

p.s.- I dont have much knowledge about the protein powders as to which one to consume in and in how much to consume/day.
Please suggest.

Regards,
Old 17th March 2009, 11:32   #1005
Senior - BHPian

^ Take protein supplements like a supplement.
Your daily protein requirement per day in anabolizing phase would be around 2 g per kg of body weight.

So you require 120g of proteins daily. You can get that easily from non-veg items.
You can work it out by checking the weight of the non-veg item you are pickingup.

This is a very rought thumbrule - but then I think it suffices.
For most meat items - you take the boneless weight and divide by 4. Thats the amount of proteins in them.
For hen eggs its - 4 g of proteins in eggwhites. Egg yolk has approx 2 g of proteins. Lots of fat and vitamins and minerals. But keep a control on egg yolks - not more 2 per day.
Milk - 1 glass (250-300ml) is around 10 g proteins.

Dont forget you are getting proteins for other sources too like legumes, wheat, etc

Now when you are getting your daily fill of proteins, why do you need to spend truckloads of money to get protein.
Better would be save money now, eat properly, reach a plateau, and when you stop making gains, then think of taking supplements like creatine and nitro etc.

As I said, forget about supplis for atleast one year.

Last edited by alpha1 : 17th March 2009 at 11:35.

Most Viewed