Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2009, 11:08   #1666
BHPian

Good going jp2u, Make sure you are losing fat and not just weight. With a strict diet and proper nutrition it is possible to loose around 2kgs in a month. Currently i am in the process of bringing down my body fat very low and i have lost around 6kgs in the last few months, I noticed a loss of 1kg in the last two weeks itself. Keep up the good work but dont go over board and any doubts bhpians are always there to help.
Old 10th July 2009, 12:08   #1667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Circle View Post
Good going jp2u, Make sure you are losing fat and not just weight. With a strict diet and proper nutrition it is possible to loose around 2kgs in a month. Currently i am in the process of bringing down my body fat very low and i have lost around 6kgs in the last few months, I noticed a loss of 1kg in the last two weeks itself. Keep up the good work but dont go over board and any doubts bhpians are always there to help.
I will sure keep updating about my progress in this thread, as am kinda addicted to healthy foods right now, my friends in office are looking at me very strangely as i have stopped eating their favorite chats with them.

Quote:
Do ever let somebody tell you "you can't do something"
Old 14th July 2009, 17:55   #1668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Come dripping wet out of the showers and leave a puddle.
Talk on cell phones loud.
Leave sweat stains on the machines because they don't wipe up after use.
Don't use a towel.
My pet peeves. I even hate the people who do not have a shower after a strenuous work out. I mean, come on!
Old 15th July 2009, 11:38   #1669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2u View Post
I will sure keep updating about my progress in this thread, as am kinda addicted to healthy foods right now, my friends in office are looking at me very strangely as i have stopped eating their favorite chats with them.

Thats a common thing to happen when you start eating rite, I face the same situation when i go with my friends who drinks.
Old 17th July 2009, 12:27   #1670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
My pet peeves. I even hate the people who do not have a shower after a strenuous work out. I mean, come on!
Why should one take a shower at the gym? My house is 5 min from the gym and I go back home to have shower.
Old 17th July 2009, 12:48   #1671
Team-BHP Support

Flat V/s Inclined

Need some advice. What are the pros and cons of running on an inclined surface on a treadmill vis-a-vis a flat one.

My trainer (whom I do not trust too much) prefers inclined while I have heard that its bad for the back/ knees.

I do a 20 min stint on the treadmill four days a week and do crunches and sides on alternate days. Going to the gym for the past one and a half months, only to lose a couple of inches that I have gained. Please advice.
Old 17th July 2009, 13:08   #1672
BHPian

^Even i have heard about that claim of knees and back getting hurt, they indeed put stress on those region.

I prefer to walk fast in the inclined mode and run in the flat mode alternatively.
Old 17th July 2009, 13:26   #1673
BHPian

Tips that i followed for reducing weight

Your body uses food for energy. It stores any excess energy as fat. This means if you eat more food than your body needs for daily activities and cell maintenance, you will gain weight.
To lose weight, you need to get your body to use up these stores of fat. The most effective way to do this is to:
reduce the amount of calories you eat
increase your levels of activity

Below are ways to reduce calorie intake without having to alter your diet significantly.
  • Replace fizzy drinks and fruit cordials with water
  • Swap whole milk for semi-skimmed, or semi-skimmed for skimmed.
  • Eat less lunch than usual. For example, make your own sandwich and limit the use of margarine/butter and full-fat mayonnaise (store-bought sandwiches often contain both).
  • Stop taking sugar in tea and coffee.
  • Have smaller portions of the food you enjoy.
  • Avoid having a second helping at dinner.
  • Cut out unhealthy treats such as confectionary, sugary biscuits and crisps between meals.
  • Cut down on beer and alcohol
All these things will influence your health in a positive way

@EDDY - Make sure that you have a correct intake of food for your daily needs, whats happens is that we do a lot of exercise and we forget to control our eating habbits which will result in non reducing of your weight ot hip size, try to follow some of the above steps i mentioned. It sure did help me.

Another update is that i have come down to 96.5 KG from 108 Kgs and still continuing my journey backwards to the 85kg target
Old 17th July 2009, 13:43   #1674
Team-BHP Support

I used to be 105kgs few year back, then I started reducing and few months back I stagnated at 95-97kgs.
Again in the past few months I have come down to 87, but target is 83-84. The last 2-3 kilos are the toughest to go!
A big contributing factor to weight loss was no lunch at office. I used to take my food from home(cooked in less oil) and have that with chapatis from office.
Helped a lot.
Now to target the last 3 kgs

As per my pet peeves at the gym, can't do much about shower etc., since the gym does not have any, but there are people who switch off all the fans when they do cardio or weights. They want to sweat. And then they smell very very bad also because in Delhi summers in a closed environment lots of smelly guys is not a very good idea.
If they want to sweat they can wear a sweater and come. It costs 200rs in SN market, and they will sweat. Infact they can wear sweater all day and sweat, why make others sweat also?
Other clowns are the wannabe DJs who think their choice is what people should like. they will play music at such deafening volume, that even if you have earphones you will hear the music loud and clear.
They do not realize that everybody has different tastes. So if you like deafening, put earphones. Buy a IPOD or something. Chinese clones are 500rs a piece only and will easily store 3-4 hours of music.
Why make others suffer?
Third are the "body builders". Their bodies cool down. So when they decide to do 5 sets of bench press with heavy weights(with 40 seconds break in between), they insist that we do not alternate. Their body will cool down. So you have to wait for 20 minutes when Mr Body builder is done. They do not realize that we all have paid for the gym. If they want uninterrrupted equipment, please buy a home gym or something.
In a public gym everything is shared. So if 3 people want the bench, please alternate, do not hog it for quarter of an hour.
Then come the treadmill hoggers. They will walk at speed 3 on the treadmill for 30 minutes. At budget gyms good treadmills are at a premium.
I do 25 minutes of treadmill on some days, but I always get off the treadmill after 12-13 minutes, and then reclimb if there is nobody waiting. but etiquette is a rare thing. Some clowns even reset the treadmill after 15 minutes so nobody gets to know they have been on it for half an hour.
Its not your morning walk people, please learn to share.
Last but not the least, the concept of space is also lost on some people. When they wait for you to finish your set, they literally breath down your neck. Hello! Please stand 2 feet away, I am not going to run away with the weights, once I do them, I will put them down!
Old 17th July 2009, 13:56   #1675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I used to be 105kgs few year back, then I started reducing and few months back I stagnated at 95-97kgs.
Again in the past few months I have come down to 87, but target is 83-84. The last 2-3 kilos are the toughest to go!
A big contributing factor to weight loss was no lunch at office. I used to take my food from home(cooked in less oil) and have that with chapatis from office.
Helped a lot.
Now to target the last 3 kgs
Great going dude, i was 108 and now reduced to 96.5 KG and goin on the process, how many chapatis you have for lunch. i have one big doubt, is oats good for reducing weight ?

Have read many articles but want to know from your personel experience TSK1979
Old 17th July 2009, 14:09   #1676
Team-BHP Support

Oats etc., and all food which are rich in fiber are good.
Reason is that first they fill you up good, so you do not feel hungry. Secondly they require lot of energy to digest.
I have 2 chapatis(medium) for lunch. and two small for dinner. For filling I take curd and Cucumber.
As evening snack I take corn flakes in double toned milk with "Shakker" or Milk Rooafza. I like my tea coffee sweet and love roo-afza taste.
Eating out is twice a weak and try to stick to roasted chicken or chicken curry instead of butter chicken. Sometimes I do indulge and have a whopping sinful meal but do extra cardio that day.

So eat less carbs, and to fill up your tummy eat cubumber etc., salads. As mentioned earlier if you eat less than what you burn, you will loose weight.
I know I have to cut down on eating out and sugar if I want drastic reduction, but since its last 2-3kgs I am not taking it very seriously, however I have increased cardio a little bit.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 17th July 2009 at 14:11.
Old 17th July 2009, 14:30   #1677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
As evening snack I take corn flakes in double toned milk
Try to avoid corn flakes since it is high in Glycemic index that means it will increase the sugar level in your body rapidly which is not good if you are trying to loose weight, Moreover you are having it with milk which is also carbs and some sugar. Above all that you are eating it in the evening and at this time your body would not require much carbs as your activity level will be less and unless it is utilised it will again turn to fat. My sincere advice AVOID CORN FLAKES.
Old 17th July 2009, 14:34   #1678
Team-BHP Support

I didn't know about that Red Circie.
Actually I take them just before going to gym.
My lunch time is around 12:45 pm. I go to Gym around 8, so till then I feel very hungry as I do not eat anything in evening.
The milk I use is the yellow carton Nestle which has 0.5 gms of fat /100gm(as compared to 3 gms/100ml in toned milk)
Old 17th July 2009, 14:58   #1679
Team-BHP Support

My situation is a li'l funny. Weight wise I am fine (80 kgs, 6feet). Its the beer belly (not due to beer though) that I am trying to reduce.

Guys: inclined running or flat running ?
Old 17th July 2009, 15:02   #1680
BHPian

All carb foods have a Glycemic index rating, High GI-70 & above, Medium GI-56 to 69, Low GI- 55 and below. As less the GI rating is its good for your health and corn flakes is rated at 83, So you can imagine the insulin spike you will have in your body. There are a lot of foods which you can have in the evening before workout ex - you can have grilled chicked/egg whites with some brown/basmati rice or you can eat a cup of oats, chapathis, rotis, apple, steamed vegetables etc. Eat a portion of protein and carbs 1.5 to 2hrs before you go to gym and it will be all fine.

Last edited by Red Circle : 17th July 2009 at 15:10.

Most Viewed