Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2010, 22:40   #2626
Team-BHP Support

I was just wondering and its just curiosity that is prompting this post. Would love to know your thoughts though.

Most guys spend quite a lot of money on protein shakes.

Why not use a far cheaper item that is available at almost all medical stores across the country.
I am talking about Wockhardt Nutrition : About protineX A health drink recommended for pregnant women. They have far greater needs for protein that most of us and this works just fine.
Old 29th August 2010, 01:41   #2627
BHPian

Yup BB. Protein X, B protein all are just as good.

I ordered some B protein straight form the company
Old 2nd September 2010, 21:59   #2628
Senior - BHPian

Started gymming and cardio for the last 3 months. Weight has gone down by 1 kg, put on some muscle mass . The problem is that I start feeling too hungry - hungry to the extent of having 2 extra mini-meals in a day.

And how good are these protein supplements, they are priced really high ? Isn't stuff like eggs/milk good enough for the protein requirement - at least for those into moderate and not professional bodybuilding.

btw, here's a good link on bodybuilding Exercise & Muscle Directory
Old 22nd September 2010, 15:42   #2629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was just wondering and its just curiosity that is prompting this post. Would love to know your thoughts though.

Most guys spend quite a lot of money on protein shakes.

Why not use a far cheaper item that is available at almost all medical stores across the country.
I am talking about Wockhardt Nutrition : About protineX A health drink recommended for pregnant women. They have far greater needs for protein that most of us and this works just fine.
Quote:
Yup BB. Protein X, B protein all are just as good.

I ordered some B protein straight form the company
NO, You can't do that!
Nutrition requirement of a pregnant woman and a bodybuilder (even an amature) is quite different.

B-Protein and Protein-X have lot of things including carbs and fats that you do not need, and does not have enough protein that you need.

For example, if you read the nutrition information - 100 gms of B-Protein has 40gms of protein.

Considering that 1-1.5gm protein per pound of body weight is required per day (during body building). An avg 73kg individual needs 150 gms of protein minimum, per day. A 200gm bottle of b-protein only has 80 gms protein, not sufficient for even a days requirement!

On the other hand if you look at a protein supplement like ON Whey 100%, One serving of about 29gms contains 24gms protein. Four servings in a day gives your about 100gms protein, and rest 50 gms is made up by your standard diet.

It is always better to look up
1. Price per gm of protein
2. What additional things you get along, in the package (calories, fats and Carbs) are certainly not good for most people, trying to reduce fat and build muscles.

Finally the servings that you take, that 1 table spoon of b-protein is not going to make any difference to your muscles repair after the workout.

Quote:
Isn't stuff like eggs/milk good enough for the protein requirement - at least for those into moderate and not professional bodybuilding.
Ideally, if you can stick to a very strict well designed diet for your needs, you do not need any supplements.
However
1. Strict balanced diet is very difficult to stick to over long term,
2. most natural stuff accompany other elements which may not be required in huge quantities (milk has calories and fats also which keeps increasing as you increase your milk consumption).

Protein Supplements are concentrates which let you only add only protein, without adding much sugar, fat, carbs etc. (but you have to be careful to choose the once which meet your purpose).

Last edited by ST7677 : 22nd September 2010 at 15:53.
Old 22nd September 2010, 16:20   #2630
Senior - BHPian

Guys - have been gymming for a year now and have seen good results.
one area which i want to work on is to develop the upper chest and get the clear chest muscle demarcation.

what exercises are recommended and avoided to obtain this ?
i have been doing just the incline bench for a month now but havent seen much of a change. please advise
thanks
Old 22nd September 2010, 18:34   #2631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
one area which i want to work on is to develop the upper chest and get the clear chest muscle demarcation.

i have been doing just the incline bench for a month now but havent seen much of a change. please advise
thanks
Try incline dumbbell press, butterfly.
Do atleast 4 exercises and 3 sets each to get positive results.
Old 23rd September 2010, 10:15   #2632
BHPian

what is your opunion on nutrex lipo6 black. what are the side effects. i want to lose weight and was advised this. i have been working outy in the gym for the last 5 months and have lost 9 kgs. Also can i buy it directly from the indian website essential nutrition. thamks in advance
Old 23rd September 2010, 11:59   #2633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
NO, You can't do that!
Nutrition requirement of a pregnant woman and a bodybuilder (even an amature) is quite different.

B-Protein and Protein-X have lot of things including carbs and fats that you do not need, and does not have enough protein that you need.

For example, if you read the nutrition information - 100 gms of B-Protein has 40gms of protein.

Considering that 1-1.5gm protein per pound of body weight is required per day (during body building). An avg 73kg individual needs 150 gms of protein minimum, per day. A 200gm bottle of b-protein only has 80 gms protein, not sufficient for even a days requirement!

On the other hand if you look at a protein supplement like ON Whey 100%, One serving of about 29gms contains 24gms protein. Four servings in a day gives your about 100gms protein, and rest 50 gms is made up by your standard diet.

It is always better to look up
1. Price per gm of protein
2. What additional things you get along, in the package (calories, fats and Carbs) are certainly not good for most people, trying to reduce fat and build muscles.

Finally the servings that you take, that 1 table spoon of b-protein is not going to make any difference to your muscles repair after the workout.

Ideally, if you can stick to a very strict well designed diet for your needs, you do not need any supplements.
However
1. Strict balanced diet is very difficult to stick to over long term,
2. most natural stuff accompany other elements which may not be required in huge quantities (milk has calories and fats also which keeps increasing as you increase your milk consumption).

Protein Supplements are concentrates which let you only add only protein, without adding much sugar, fat, carbs etc. (but you have to be careful to choose the once which meet your purpose).
Has there been any study which says that you need to have 2 g per KG of body weight.

Besides, shouldn't it be based on lean body mass?

Actual requirement is much less than that. 0.5g per KG. Which dietecians and govt health care has increased to 1 g por KG in order to take care of the in-efficiencies, plus highs and lows in requirement as per the condition.

Now this 1g figure is already on a higher side, 2 grams may become too high.

Of course I understand that many professionals are taking much higher Proteins than that - but there is not a single study done that proves that the increase in muscle mass is because of that increase in protein intake.
Bodybuilders take in a lot of other things also - and we really cannot pin-point what works the best for increasing the muscle mass.

Now you may be wondering why I am launching this tirade against the high consumption of proteins.

Simple reason - kidneys.
When kidney's start malfunctioning - what do they tell you?
Reduce your proteins intake.
Nitrogen and sulfur are hard on kidneys.

At least think about your organs. Its very painful existence in middle-old age.

PS: to everyone posting here.
Have you ever measured the duration of your set (for all exercises)?
40 seconds minimum is recommended for building lean muscles.
How many actually ensure that their set last that long?

Last edited by alpha1 : 23rd September 2010 at 12:02.
Old 23rd September 2010, 16:15   #2634
lsp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post

thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Try incline dumbbell press, butterfly.
Do atleast 4 exercises and 3 sets each to get positive results.
Note: I am not a regular gym goer. What I am posting is what I recall when I used to go to gym, 8-9 years ago.

narayan
harry10 has given some good exercises for Upper chest formation.

For the 'chest muscle demarcation' try the decline bench press. I used to do 5 sets of flat bench press, followed by 5 sets of inclined and 5 sets of declined bench press.

Experts, please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 25th September 2010, 16:56   #2635
BHPian

Guys,

I am lean (68 Kgs) but have a belly which, you can guess, looks and feels extremely bad. I've undergone a gastro test-nothing found and have given up on milk for the past month and a half.

Till now, I shied away from cardio and ab exercises as I am already lean and didn't want to lose any muscle mass plus my weight training routine includes deadlifts and squats which I believe gives a good workout to the abs as well. But I'd be starting with HIIT and a few ab exercises from next week (I am joining a gym after a 6 month gap and aiming to add considerable muscle mass).

What I'd really appreciate from the experts here is a critique on my diet. My breakfast is mostly idlis or dosas with coconut chutney, a fruit (apple, bananas) and a few almonds. Lunch is white rice (could this be a problem?) with dal, a subji and curd. A whole wheat bread slice with peanut butter and a few almonds form my pre-workout snack before hitting the gym, after which I take 1 scoop of Myofusion in water and 2 whole eggs. Dinner again is mostly white rice and sometimes substituted with roti or daliya or upma.

Please suggest.

Thanks!

Last edited by NK@Hyd : 25th September 2010 at 17:06.
Old 26th September 2010, 01:19   #2636
BHPian

Naresh - Here's what I would do.
eat a fruit, preferably an apple, within 10 minutes of getting up
Have breakfast an hour later in which you should include 2 eggs. Don't eat fruit with any meal. Instead have fruit by itself as a snack
2 hours post breakfast, have a handful of nuts (peanuts/walnuts)
Lunch - Increase the amount of vegetables you eat and cut down on the rice. In any case, basmati rice is best
Increase to 2 scoops of Myofusion post workout
Dinner - same as lunch

If religious beliefs etc. do not come in the way, have 2gms of fish oil with breakfast, lunch and dinner. Your diet on the whole is pretty much lacking in complete protein and clean fats, both of which are absolutely essential in dropping body fat.
All the best.

Basic rules - try and eat some protein with every meal
Eat something every 2.5-3 hours
Cut down on simple carbs
Drink lots of water
Old 26th September 2010, 01:25   #2637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

All proteins are not created equal with respect to amino acid profile, BV, etc. If you actually take the time to do the math wrt so called cheap protein powders, the difference in price per gram of protein isn't really that much more with the expensive ones and you're getting a far superior product anyway
Old 26th September 2010, 12:55   #2638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
Naresh - Here's what I would do.
eat a fruit, preferably an apple, within 10 minutes of getting up
Have breakfast an hour later in which you should include 2 eggs. Don't eat fruit with any meal. Instead have fruit by itself as a snack
2 hours post breakfast, have a handful of nuts (peanuts/walnuts)
Lunch - Increase the amount of vegetables you eat and cut down on the rice. In any case, basmati rice is best
Increase to 2 scoops of Myofusion post workout
Dinner - same as lunch

If religious beliefs etc. do not come in the way, have 2gms of fish oil with breakfast, lunch and dinner. Your diet on the whole is pretty much lacking in complete protein and clean fats, both of which are absolutely essential in dropping body fat.
All the best.

Basic rules - try and eat some protein with every meal
Eat something every 2.5-3 hours
Cut down on simple carbs
Drink lots of water
Thanks a lot, Vikram. I will use this diet plan and report my progress here in a few months. You mentioned taking 2 scoops of Myofusion post workout, which means taking in almost 50 g of protein. I always thought our body can only ingest a limited amount of protein at a time, around 35-40 grams?
Old 26th September 2010, 17:23   #2639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK@Hyd View Post
You mentioned taking 2 scoops of Myofusion post workout, which means taking in almost 50 g of protein. I always thought our body can only ingest a limited amount of protein at a time, around 35-40 grams?
While it is true that you'll be taking in 50 gms of protein, Myofusion is a blend of fast and slow release proteins. If you're uncomfortable with 2 scoops, take at least 1 and a half scoop. 40gms post workout, especially with the rest of your diet is a must for you. In fact you could take an additional scoop to one and a half scoop sometime in the day as a between-the-meal snack

Last edited by vikram18 : 26th September 2010 at 17:25.
Old 29th September 2010, 21:23   #2640
BHPian

Move over these costly proteins, you can now get the highest quality American Whey protein in bulk (manufacturers like Saputo, Glanbia, Fonterra, Solae, Solbar). Only difference is you'd have to flavor it yourself by some Hershey flavors. It costs almost 1/3 of what you'd pay for commercial proteins like ON 100% Whey gold Standard, Myofusion.
This bulk whey is 81.32% protein by weight (WPC80) and 91.7% (WPI90).
Costs start from Rs 700/Kg.... and a 15 Kg/33.1 lbs bag costing under 10,000.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks