Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2010, 15:51   #2656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK@Hyd View Post
Guys,

If I get a US-based friend to ship the supplements to me as a gift, won't it still attract customs duty?

I am almost sure it will, but just wanted to check if anyone has tried this route.
Yes,it will.
Happened to us.
Old 27th October 2010, 17:49   #2657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Yes,it will.
Happened to us.
Harry,

Did it work out to be cheaper than buying from here (even after
adding customs and shipping costs)?
Old 3rd November 2010, 11:26   #2658
Senior - BHPian

Guys, has any of you started getting more zits/acne since you started working out?
I've been going to the gym for 3-4 months now and ever since then, my nose has become a war zone riddled with cyst and acne.
I came across this from an article:
Quote:
Another thing that can cause breakouts is excessive cardio exercise that leaves your body acidic. That happens when you workout at high intensity and the lactic acid builds up in your body to toxic levels. Depending on the strength of your lymphatic and endocrine systems, this toxicity can take many days to clear out. Antioxidants like Vitamin C can help getting rid of cystic acne, but it is best to workout at lower intensities most of the time.
Source: Cystic acne and workout

I dont want to reduce my workout now! Is there anything else that can be done??
Old 3rd November 2010, 11:57   #2659
Senior - BHPian

^ Sounds like BS.

The reason why you are facing acne is:
1. Because of increased sweat - and consequently - decreased skin hygenie. Do you wash and clean your skin more frequently than before, especially the face?
2. Because of the increased levels of androgenic hormones - which act of the subcutaneous glands - increase the oil production - and lead to blockage of pores.
This causes build-up of bacterial infection - leading to pus - leading to acne.

Take care of skin. And don't indulge in too much of fat.
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:07   #2660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
^ Sounds like BS.

The reason why you are facing acne is:
1. Because of increased sweat - and consequently - decreased skin hygenie. Do you wash and clean your skin more frequently than before, especially the face?
2. Because of the increased levels of androgenic hormones - which act of the subcutaneous glands - increase the oil production - and lead to blockage of pores.
This causes build-up of bacterial infection - leading to pus - leading to acne.

Take care of skin. And don't indulge in too much of fat.
Hi Alpha1

1. Yeah. I workout in the mornings and take a shower after workout. Evenings i wash my face second time.
2. My fat intake is not much anyway. Home cooked food with minimal oil and spices is the usual diet.
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:14   #2661
Team-BHP Support

Have you increased your water intake? Also balance your electrolytes. Do not just take plain water. Take lemon, salt water, and for potassium you could start eating banana like fruits.

And do you use GYM provided towels? I also used to, and found lots of acne on my face.
I stopped using the gym towels, and the problem went away.

Remember, most of these problems have a simple answer.
So if you are getting acne and all, rather than look for complicated stuff look for things like
1. Gym towels?
2. Do you touch your face in the gym? Your hands touch all kinds of surfaces. If you touch your hands to your face you will get acne and stuff(germs/dirt etc., from hands)
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:21   #2662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Have you increased your water intake? Also balance your electrolytes. Do not just take plain water. Take lemon, salt water, and for potassium you could start eating banana like fruits.
I do drink around 5 litres of water but not much of electrolytes. I've replaced my mid meal snacks with fruits, mostly apple and bananas.

Quote:
And do you use GYM provided towels?
Arre the gym i go to has weights and a couple of cycles and one multipurpose machine. Forget towels, it doesnt even have a water filter.

I carry my own towel but maybe i should change it more often. Thats a good point.
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:37   #2663
Team-BHP Support

Does your sweat have a slightly smell of vinegar.

Its an indication of excess protein in the the diet.
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:43   #2664
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post

I carry my own towel but maybe i should change it more often. Thats a good point.
also, do not touch your face with your hands. This is the leading source of infections, and you can catch things like eye flu etc., from others(if you touch your eyes/face after exercising).
Old 3rd November 2010, 15:11   #2665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Does your sweat have a slightly smell of vinegar.

Its an indication of excess protein in the the diet.
Hehe. I dont have a good nose and its tough to find volunteers for smelling your sweat. But jokes apart, i am not taking any protein supplements, so i think i should be ok on that front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
also, do not touch your face with your hands. This is the leading source of infections, and you can catch things like eye flu etc., from others(if you touch your eyes/face after exercising).
I use the towel that i take to wipe my face. But its possible that the towel picks up some infection from where i keep it. But dammit, my immune system was never this delicate!
Old 3rd November 2010, 15:25   #2666
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Hehe. I dont have a good nose and its tough to find volunteers for smelling your sweat. But jokes apart, i am not taking any protein supplements, so i think i should be ok on that front.

Ok, I should have rephrased the same.
Do your clothes especially the T-Shirt you wear when working out get a faint smell of vinegar.

Bodybuilding.com - What Is That Ammonia Smell When I Sweat? - Jeremy Likness
Old 3rd November 2010, 15:31   #2667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Do your clothes especially the T-Shirt you wear when working out get a faint smell of vinegar.
Ok now i get it!
I'll check tomorrow.
Old 3rd November 2010, 15:37   #2668
BHPian

Sustaining Muscle Mass

Guys,I've been going to gym since 4 months,have seen good visible results in form of muscle mass.
However I was at my home for 3 weeks to address some personal crisis where I could not follow proper diet plan now I see my body back to pre work out state.

Is there a way which helps sustain the muscle mass in longer run given the fact it is practically impossible to follow same diet plan 12 months a year.
Old 9th November 2010, 13:10   #2669
Senior - BHPian

Calcium Supplements

Guys
need to know whether its important to have calcium supplements if one is gymming hard.

i am 33 and take very little milk products. just half cup chai in the morning that too with very less milk and maybe a small cup curd in the night. and yes - curd rice in the noon with very watery curd.

i am on a veg diet.

at this age, i presume most of the bone formation is done. is it necessary that i take some calcium supplements given that i am gymming and there might be more than normal wear and tear ?

please assist

thanks
Old 11th November 2010, 15:15   #2670
Senior - BHPian

you can get calcium from green leafy vegs too.
Quote:
Sustaining Muscle Mass
Guys,I've been going to gym since 4 months,have seen good visible results in form of muscle mass.
However I was at my home for 3 weeks to address some personal crisis where I could not follow proper diet plan now I see my body back to pre work out state.

Is there a way which helps sustain the muscle mass in longer run given the fact it is practically impossible to follow same diet plan 12 months a year.
Not possible.
Muscle growth and increased tonus is because of usage of muscles.

Disuse will reverse the process, leading you back to untrained state.

Last edited by alpha1 : 11th November 2010 at 15:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks