Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2010, 07:20   #2686
Senior - BHPian

Close grip bench is a bench press variation which focuses on your tricep.
Old 3rd December 2010, 13:19   #2687
Team-BHP Support

Here is an example of two very different type of muscles. What would be your pick?

Ornamental vs Functional Muscles.

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-pb295611.jpg
Old 8th December 2010, 19:08   #2688
BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

What is this "Close grip " in pushup ? What are you gripping on ?
@NK@hyd, is this some kind of typo ?

There is a variation of pushup called Tricep pushup when your palms are closer to each other. I dont know if we should call that as close grip.
Old 9th December 2010, 12:55   #2689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokrajagopal View Post
What is this "Close grip " in pushup ? What are you gripping on ?
@NK@hyd, is this some kind of typo ?

There is a variation of pushup called Tricep pushup when your palms are closer to each other. I dont know if we should call that as close grip.
Hi Ashok,

Close grip in a pushup just means that you are keeping the
hands (and hence palms) closer to each other as compared to in a traditional pushup.

In that sense, it can probably qualify as a Tricep pushup,
though an ideal tricep pushup is done by having your respective
index fingers and thumbs touch each other in a diamond shape.
Old 9th December 2010, 22:12   #2690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Here is an example of two very different type of muscles. What would be your pick?

Attachment 463187
I think there is a lot of difference in the way these two muscles are developed. Athelete's (as far as my guess) do not do such heavy weight lifting and most of their muscles are result of the sports they are in. Each sport will then have a strong set of muscles.
My assumption is that many of the actors/personalities have inspired us to be fit and have a good body structure ; and i would definately like to follow the same; the muscles developed are not just visual but make a change in the way you look at your body.

OT :If you observe closely, Roger federer's one hand appears to be very thin as compared to the other.
Old 9th December 2010, 22:31   #2691
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 463187

Why can not it be both at the same time ? .The former can be as good or even better than later .And why would good looking ( the ornamental as you say) cannot be as better than functional ?

Last edited by black12rr : 9th December 2010 at 22:32.
Old 9th December 2010, 23:20   #2692
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Why can not it be both at the same time ? .The former can be as good or even better than later .And why would good looking ( the ornamental as you say) cannot be as better than functional ?
Actors are not probably tested as much for steroids or performance enhancing drugs as athletes are
Old 9th December 2010, 23:38   #2693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Actors are not probably tested as much for steroids or performance enhancing drugs as athletes are
Not every actor takes the steriods and not every athelete stays away from them
Old 10th December 2010, 03:12   #2694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
I think there is a lot of difference in the way these two muscles are developed. Athelete's (as far as my guess) do not do such heavy weight lifting and most of their muscles are result of the sports they are in.
Not true. The variations are different, and so are the speeds that they are done at. And fyi, people can have huge functional muscles that can outsize bodybuilders with their "ornamental" muscles, case in point, the strongman competitors. Google strongman or The World's Strongest Man.
Old 10th December 2010, 10:37   #2695
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
I think there is a lot of difference in the way these two muscles are developed. Athelete's (as far as my guess) do not do such heavy weight lifting and most of their muscles are result of the sports they are in. Each sport will then have a strong set of muscles.
Muscles are not purely developed via sports, but by doing exercises aimed at the particular sport. The right term is conditioning. Sportsmen who need high speed movements shy away from pumping heavy weights, instead they depend on low weights and more repetitions. Martial artists generally depend on body weight calisthenics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
It is very hard to have both, but not impossible. I've known people who hardly did any exercise, but had better muscle definition than me. This was when I used to spend 2 hours in the gym everyday. But I was definitely lot stronger than them. Lot of people don't realise that bigger muscles doesn't always mean superior strength. It just means bigger muscles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
And fyi, people can have huge functional muscles that can outsize bodybuilders with their "ornamental" muscles, case in point, the strongman competitors. Google strongman or The World's Strongest Man.
This is certainly possible, but not for all body types. Even when I could go 120 military pushups at one go, people thought I was a weakly nerd. My muscles are barely visible.

I don't post much in this thread because the focus is mostly on body building. If you are interesting in functional muscles, search this thread for functional, you'll find long lost discussions from long before.
Old 10th December 2010, 15:41   #2696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't post much in this thread because the focus is mostly on body building. If you are interesting in functional muscles, search this thread for functional, you'll find long lost discussions from long before.
Why don't you merge both the threads. For most people, bodybuilding and functional muscles are inter-related.
Old 10th December 2010, 16:11   #2697
Team-BHP Support

It is already in the same thread. Just search of functional in this thread.
Old 10th December 2010, 20:43   #2698
BHPian

What I have noticed always is people with real functional strength and have good looking muscles, generally have very good lower body structure. And Mr. Oranamental Muscle in the picture here sucks in that section. Just my opinion.
Old 10th December 2010, 22:49   #2699
Senior - BHPian

^ A very valid point.Infact i have seen people with ornamental bodies not able to lift as much weight as people with considerably lesser and smaller muscles.Although each and every body builder or a person with a smashing body i have come across have candidly admitted that they have at some point or the other used anabolic steroids but i have seen that people who have actually worked hard and used the streoids only as supplementing thier growth to be stronger.They also have a very amazing stamina.

Its all about the use and abuse of steroids.I know a few people in national level gaming events who have been taking proper medically supervised courses of steroids.and they have actually not had any side effects because they have not abused the drug.and on the other hand i have seen people come up with miraculous bodies in months and have had very very bad side effects.They could not even lift as much weight as me.Joints were constantly hurt as the muscle sizes were increased but the ligaments which get stronger only and only by hard work are still weak.

Though meeting and talking with many many people who build bodies for competitions and those who workout as a lifestyle i have come to believe one thing.These perfectly chiseled bodies cannot be attained without the help of steriods.either use or abuse.and people who say they do not use them and still have amazing bodies are plain lying.

I know people who have been working out everyday for the last 15-20 years religiously and lift tremendous amount of weight and have a very very balanced diet as well but they still have not been able to attain that perfect filmstar body.Why? because they haven't taken any steroids all their lives.
Old 12th December 2010, 16:18   #2700
Team-BHP Support

Here is a photo I taken at a buffalo race. This guy is a buffalo race driver, not unlike Shumi, but paid lot less.

He developed these enviable set of muscles by running buffaloes in the slushy race track. These are purely functional muscles. I have seen such guys in our farms, they have never seen inside of a gym, but they work whole day lifting, cutting, pushing, pulling all kinds of stuff. And let's not even talk about supplements.

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-pb302145.jpg

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-pb3021451.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks