Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2012, 00:56   #3136
BHPian

Re: Gyms / Fitness Clubs / Health Clubs in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Have few questions for the bodybuilders/fitness gurus here:
How do you figure out how many calories you need for maintenance? Is it trial and error till you start gaining weight all over again?
You could start out by finding out of your BMR(Basal Metablolic Rate) Basically gives you an estimate of how many calories you burn per day at rest. Mind you, it is an estimate, try this BMR Calculator .

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
The intention of this thread is to list down good (and bad) gyms in Bangalore. Can also list down offers/deals. BHPians, please post your first hand experiences. Big Brands/Chains are:
1. Gold's Gym
2. Talwalkars
3. Snap Fitness

Apart from the big brands, there are smaller brands like Fitness One and then there are even smaller gyms which are not chains. The smaller brands are cheaper and could be good because of much lesser crowd. The downside could be the quality of the crowd and trainers there. It is very difficult to find reviews of these on the internet. Sometimes, they might not even appear on google maps or other search engines. That's where this thread can help. I'm sure more and more BHPians are joining the fitness bandwagon everyday.

Personally, I'm searching for a good gym around BSK 3rd Stage (5km radius). Gyms I found:
1. Gold's gym - JP nagar: 19.5K annual package. Includes dietician, physio, general trainer, review of progress every month by physios. Good gym but extremely crowded.
2. Talalkars JP nagar - 20k annual package. Just includes physio. Not as good as Golds. Crowd is slightly lesser too.
3. Snap Fitness BSK3 - 12 annual package. Pretty small gym. Equipment not great too.
Could you guys please suggest me good gyms in BSK 3rd Stage? I really don't mind the price unless its less than 20k.

Thanks
I am at Gold's Gym at Indiranagar - Price was 21k for a year all inclusive (Nutritonist, Dietican etc.) Pretty good gym , got top of the range equipment (Cardio) and plenty of weights and machines. The only negative is that it gets insanely crowded after 6(Like every other gym in BGR, I imagine). I always go at off peak hours, so I do get everything for myself. Fair warning, I cant comment on the quality of the trainers since I do my own stuff, but all of them seem generally nice and knowledgeable.
Old 12th April 2012, 09:33   #3137
Senior - BHPian

Re: Gyms / Fitness Clubs / Health Clubs in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshayasok View Post
I am at Gold's Gym at Indiranagar - Price was 21k for a year all inclusive (Nutritonist, Dietican etc.) Pretty good gym , got top of the range equipment (Cardio) and plenty of weights and machines. The only negative is that it gets insanely crowded after 6(Like every other gym in BGR, I imagine). I always go at off peak hours, so I do get everything for myself. Fair warning, I cant comment on the quality of the trainers since I do my own stuff, but all of them seem generally nice and knowledgeable.
I too joined Golds Gym - JP nagar. Best gym that I have seen in Bangalore. But, like you said, its insanely crowded on some days. The nutritionist/dietician is a joke there. Equipment is very good.
Old 12th April 2012, 11:33   #3138
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
A doubt - Are nutrition drinks like B Protein and Proteinx used for body building or are they used in diets to stay fit and lean ?
All proteins are not equal.
Besides, B protein and Proteinex are not concentrated enough to warrant extra cost.

And as an assurance - no Bodybuilder ever takes these (because the protein content is not enough).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
Hey karty_83, saw your PM too, sorry, been a bit inactive here.

Been off training quite a while, hence dread coming on this thread.

See Protinex is a great supplement to normal diet. Proteins are readily available in many foods, veg and non-veg both, hence they necessarily do not cause any bulking.

So you can safely take protein supplements to supplement your diet.

For a lay mans thumb rule, average bodybuilders who train adequately etc take 1-1.5 gram protein per pound bodyweight, people who are only into regular fitness related activities can do well with 0.5-1 gram per kilo of body weight too.

These are general figures and requirements vary from person to person.

Refer this link: Bodybuilding.com - How Much Protein?

Also, the basic difference between subsistence products like Protinex and maybe a hardcore one like Isopure is the protein per serving, %age protein gram for gram and the quality of protein, but all that is too technical for you, for now.

So feel free to supplement with Protinex but in conjunction with a goo diet. Make sure you get good quality clean meals and good carbs, read up a bit on carbs too, since one should invest in complex carb sources.

A sound diet is the biggest stepping stone to a fit and lean physique.

All the best bud, hope this helps!
As I said earlier - all protein are not equal.
Egg and Whey concentrates are the most effective.
Which means it has most profound effect on gaining lean muscle weight.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_value
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_efficiency_ratio

And exactly the reason why these two are top contenders.
Whey isolates are even more potent and concentrated, but more expensive (and also has a slight different amino acid profile, and hence blended with other proteins / whey concentrate to make it more body effective).

Egg protein is slow digesting, Whey is fast digesting.

ProteinX and B protein etc are all hogwash. Better to use that money for Horlicks/Bournvita etc - which at least taste better, and are cheaper.
Rest of the money can be put into buying real eggs/meat.

More proteins + more taste at same cost.

Last edited by alpha1 : 12th April 2012 at 11:35.
Old 16th April 2012, 00:17   #3139
BHPian

WARNING - Long Post

If anyone is thinking about starting supplements, here are a few beginner tips for post workout recovery supplements

1. Buy A GOOD Whey Protein Isolate. Good as in a brand with an excellent reputation, I would recommend not buying Indian and getting any one of the reputed US brands. Although they are much more expensive, the results will be impressive. If u cant, look for a protein supplement that is

1. Whey Isolate(Its just better than the rest), Absorbed really quickly , aiding recovery.
2. Low or No Fat whatsoever.
3. Low or No Sugar at all.
4. Low Sodium - Anything under 100mg per serving should be fine
5. More than 22g of protein per serving (There is no point buying something that you have to take 6 servings of to get enough protein)
6. Extra BCAA and/or metabolic enzymes are a big plus.
7. Chocolate flavour (It has been shown that Chocolate flavour helps more in recovery compared to others)

Personally , I am using SAN Platinum Whey Isolate. I recommend checking out Bodybuilding.com and their forums to find a brand that best fits your requirements

2. Creatine

First of all its not bad for you, in anyway. It increases endurance by providing muscles with more fuel. Read up more about how it works on wikipedia etc. Supplementing creatine is a bit different to other products since you have to 2 phases - Loading and Maintenance. For the first Five to 6 days days that u start supplementing creatine you have to consume 20g/day - Roughly 4 servings . This is done to saturate your muscles, after which you only need to take 5g/day . Do this for about a month and then layy off it for a few weeks and then start the whole cycle again. Btw any excess creatine you do happen to consume is got rid of by the body

When buying Creatine Monohydrate,

1. Only buy Isolate, that means no sugar, no additives, nothing. You would have to 'stack' it with your protein shake, as in mix it along to be able to stand it.
2. Being Micronized helps it to mix better.
3. Brands dont exactly make a difference as long as it is an isolate and there are no additives

I am using SAN Performance Creatine now.

Mixing - I reccommend getting a good protein shaker like Neulife . Or you can just blend using your household blender. I recommend mixing whey and creatine with Skimmed milk rather than water, since you get an added protein boost and it tastes better than with just water.

For Recovery it is recommended that you have some sort of carbohydrate along with your shake , I find bananas or Apples to be most effective.

Remember that a protein shake is also a meal , so dont go crazy with it. Twice a day - one in the morning and one after workout(with creatine) - is a great way to start. Whatever inhibitions you have hear about protein is simply due to bad press and stupid people. When taken properly , the results are excellent.

P.S - I would also recommend getting Casein to consume before you sleep. Its basically the main protein present in Milk isolated. Its very slowly absorbed and helps your muscles recover and grow as you sleep. Be warned it can be quite expensive.

P.P.S - To build a great body the formula is always 70% nutrition and 30% workout. Just because you have a couple of protein shakes doesnt mean you an go crazy on everything else you eat, especially in India, where everything is loaded with fat, salt and/or sugar . I have also found people have little to no clue on what constitutes a healthy meal. I would recommend a low carb diet(Blasphemy for most Indians) combined with adequate protein intake (Even if you are veg, you can have Soya, tofu etc) and eating 5-6 times a day. And btw try learning to cook, makes a huge difference on what you eat. Remember "abs are made in the Kitchen"

If you have any questions regarding any other supplements, please feel free to ask.

Last edited by akshayasok : 16th April 2012 at 00:18. Reason: Spelling
Old 17th April 2012, 11:23   #3140
Senior - BHPian

Spot on.
Indian diet is primarily carbs only.
Nothing else.

More so the vegetarian diet.
Just check the heaps of rice or drums of rotis an average Indian binges on.
And PEELED Potato is the favorite vegetable ...
and there has to be something sweet in every meal.

No wonder Indians are genetically predisposed to diabetes - excess sweet and carbs consumed millennium after millennium ...

(and if you're eating habit differ from these, you are the butt of the jokes)

Last edited by alpha1 : 17th April 2012 at 11:25.
Old 17th April 2012, 14:34   #3141
BHPian

Just my two cents here.

Creatin is an amazing supplement. Make sure that you are using an authentic product and not a fake one. Try to check for the importer's name and address sticker on the can/Bottle.

One major major major precaution to be taken while consuming Creatin is the water intake level of an individual.
The very day you start consuming Creating powder mixed with water, you will have to increase your water intake tremendously.

Creatin tends to pull out all the water content from the body and pushes them to your muscles. Hence the body is devoid of water for other purposes. Hence double your water intake during Creatin consumption days. In fact I would go ahead and say Drink more than Double, the daily amount of water, that you would usually have..!!
If this precaution is not taken you will find yourself waking up in the middle of the night with stomach cramps and rush to your kitchen for some water.

Creatin is fine powder usually, but not too fine (like talcum powder). Hence when you mix it with water and drink it you would find tiny tiny granules stuck to your teeth.
You will instantly see the difference in the body within a week. But only precaution is to drink more and more water.

Most people say that the amount of weight that you gain while having Creatin is usually Water-weight because of the high amount of water that has to be consumed. It gives a boost usually for lifting heavy weights.

The above article has been compiled out of my personal Experience from comsuming Creatin.
Old 6th May 2012, 18:58   #3142
Senior - BHPian

Guys, joined the GYM around half a month back. Till now was doing only Cardio but on Friday, with the help of my GYM trainer, started weight training as well.

Since Friday, I am having this pain in both my arms (never been to a GYM before). Its been 2 days now. Is it normal?
Old 6th May 2012, 20:09   #3143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Guys, joined the GYM around half a month back. Till now was doing only Cardio but on Friday, with the help of my GYM trainer, started weight training as well.

Since Friday, I am having this pain in both my arms (never been to a GYM before). Its been 2 days now. Is it normal?
absolutely normal. dont expect the pain in the muscles to go off for atleast a week to 10 days. but dont stop the weight training. continue..
Old 6th May 2012, 20:12   #3144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

Absolutely normal, when I started the pain lasted for a week(years ago), but it goes as soon as you start lifting
Old 7th May 2012, 11:37   #3145
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot friends. Yes, I dont intend to stop now. Because if I do, I dont think I will ever start again !
Old 8th May 2012, 11:57   #3146
BHPian

Inspired by this thread and other live examples walking around, I am planning to start gym once again. Have burnt a lot of money on fitness one but no results - my fault, was not able to give 100%.

To start off, i am planning to use the office gym and then move on to outside gyms. The problem is, i am not working in a 9am to 5pm setup. Its like wakeup late and sleep late kind of schedule. So should i workout before the office hours or after office hours?
Old 8th May 2012, 13:52   #3147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Inspired by this thread and other live examples walking around, I am planning to start gym once again. Have burnt a lot of money on fitness one but no results - my fault, was not able to give 100%.

To start off, i am planning to use the office gym and then move on to outside gyms. The problem is, i am not working in a 9am to 5pm setup. Its like wakeup late and sleep late kind of schedule. So should i workout before the office hours or after office hours?
I would recommend doing it in the mornings. You will be amazed how energetic you would feel throughout the whole day.
Old 10th May 2012, 01:32   #3148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
More so the vegetarian diet.

And PEELED Potato is the favorite vegetable ...
I had been going to gym for 2-3 years (irregular) due to project work, injury etc. started little serious gyming now a days and protein too. Since i am vegetarian, i guess protein intake is not sufficient so started with protein. Started with Gold standard whey. DOne with it and today got EAS whey (3.4K for 5 lbs). Any one has used it? how are the results.

Please tell me if its okay to have potato? some people say its good to have carb intake for strength while you build muscles. Instructor said "don't eat fried potatoes. mash potato like sagu, baji (used with dosa) is okay".

So i am little confused. also what are food options for vegans? I generally hear "soya, tofu, vegetables, fruits" thats all any thing else specific for vegetarians
Old 10th May 2012, 08:06   #3149
BHPian

Whey protein alone is nothing special and it has always been an overrated supplement. An Whole egg beats whey protein by a fair margin as compound source of nutrition and optimal net protein utilization. Potatoes are the real deal as they'll provide you with the sustained release of energy you need for grueling workouts.
Just make sure that you eat 7 meals a day (with potatoes, cheese, milk, almonds, butter, cereals and green vegetables), supplement with BCAA's (free form BCAA powder while you're working out) and follow that up with a fully loaded post-workout meal.
Last but not least, stay away from Tofu and any other soy containing foods. They're phtoestrogenic and may lead to estrogen elevation which you don't want.
Old 10th May 2012, 13:19   #3150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
Whey protein alone is nothing special and it has always been an overrated supplement. An Whole egg beats whey protein by a fair margin as compound source of nutrition and optimal net protein utilization. Potatoes are the real deal as they'll provide you with the sustained release of energy you need for grueling workouts.
Just make sure that you eat 7 meals a day (with potatoes, cheese, milk, almonds, butter, cereals and green vegetables), supplement with BCAA's (free form BCAA powder while you're working out) and follow that up with a fully loaded post-workout meal.
Last but not least, stay away from Tofu and any other soy containing foods. They're phtoestrogenic and may lead to estrogen elevation which you don't want.
Yes, but remember, most people are already high on fat and carbs.
Adding whole eggs will only add to calories, or else you may end up eating just one-two eggs - which doesn't add much to your protein intake.

Tofu and Soy thing looks more like FUD agenda by supplement companies.
How much is the increase in estrogen for the baseline levels?
What are the measurable effects on the body caused by this increase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
I had been going to gym for 2-3 years (irregular) due to project work, injury etc. started little serious gyming now a days and protein too. Since i am vegetarian, i guess protein intake is not sufficient so started with protein. Started with Gold standard whey. DOne with it and today got EAS whey (3.4K for 5 lbs). Any one has used it? how are the results.

Please tell me if its okay to have potato? some people say its good to have carb intake for strength while you build muscles. Instructor said "don't eat fried potatoes. mash potato like sagu, baji (used with dosa) is okay".

So i am little confused. also what are food options for vegans? I generally hear "soya, tofu, vegetables, fruits" thats all any thing else specific for vegetarians
Its OK to have potato. The problem that I was highlighting is that Indians binge on carbs right from the childhood. And instead of taking carbs = source of fuel, and thus eating only what is required - we try to fill our stomach to the bursting point. With Carbs.

Insulin insensitivity.
Obesity.
Diabetes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks