Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2013, 12:57   #3316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post

Got done with my 4 lbs of performance series.

Total weight gain 3.5 kgs

3-5 workouts / week.

Had 2 scoops/day on my workout days (days skipped were because of travelling etc)
That's good to know Karan. I've been using Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard. The gains are now noticeable. 5 days a week at the gym. Each day distributed for chest/shoulders/biceps & triceps/back and abs.

Followed by cardio 10 mins thrice a week and calves once in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I know the purpose of the forum. I was referring to your statement that you won't be influenced by studs. This thread is full of them.
My bad. Must admit I took it in the wrong way. Apologies

Last edited by AbhishekB86 : 20th March 2013 at 12:58.
Old 7th April 2013, 07:24   #3317
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

What is this guy doing?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=170181779804851
Old 7th April 2013, 07:52   #3318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Why do you even require whey? (I'll give the answer - because Ronnie Coleman endorses one)
Why not have two extra eggs instead of whey? (Because egg yolk contain fat, and I don't want to grow fat, fine then take whites only)

Why would you ever need to have fast absorbing protein? (Because that's what whey marketing companies want us to believe)
Proteins are meant to be digested and assimilated slowly. Protein demands of the body are slow and gradual. Body reuses the internal amino acids "recycled" from the existing body structures.

Its not a fuel like glucose of glycogen, which the body needs on immediate basis and gets spent instantaneously, and hence you need to replenish them on instantaneous basis.

My whole tirade is against unverifiable expensive stuff that doesn't make any difference to your performance and/or physique.
Proteins are needed to repair the damaged muscle tissue which gets repaired during the recovery cycle. A dose of protiein helps the body recover quicker than not consuming protien.
I have seen a vast difference in my body structure using protein supplements for the past 3 years compared to not using it before, so I know it works for me. Also I cant have eggs everyday because I develop a heat allergy to it.
Old 8th April 2013, 10:56   #3319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the protein content of you favorite whey powder is actually 40% instead of the claimed 80%, I would be darned if you will EVER come to know that based on your lifting performance or lean body mass. Performance and LBM fluctuate more because of training and fatigue and consequently hormone levels, rather than minuscule changes in nutrition levels.
Of course what I meant by this is
Case A: your total protein intake during the day = 100 g
Case B: your total protein intake during the day = 80 g + 30 g (from powder)

Case A vs Case B.
You cannot really determine that your performance of LBM increased because of 10% increase in proteins due to the powder.

We are not talking about a typical Indian diet of 30 g proteins vs powerlifter's diet of 300 g proteins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Proteins are needed to repair the damaged muscle tissue which gets repaired during the recovery cycle. A dose of protiein helps the body recover quicker than not consuming protien.
I have seen a vast difference in my body structure using protein supplements for the past 3 years compared to not using it before, so I know it works for me. Also I cant have eggs everyday because I develop a heat allergy to it.
I have never talked about NOT consuming proteins.
ALL I have talked about is why pay so much for a powder when you can have the same proteins from food (at significantly much lower prices).

Fast absorbing proteins etc is just hogwash to sell in our consumerist society.
Hence, I do not subscribe to the view that Whey is the best, and should be taken immediately after the workout ... etc

As a side note: what about egg whites only. How could you develop "heat allergy" from egg whites?
Old 8th April 2013, 11:39   #3320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As a side note: what about egg whites only. How could you develop "heat allergy" from egg whites?
What is so surprising about it ? Allergy can be from any thing.

A lot of people have allegry from egg albumin in fact it is second most common allergy , IMHO "heat" here is a common language term used for hives which a person get from allergic reaction because reddish hives often cause mild burning sensation and often there is rise in body temperature

Food allergies are mostly genetic some people develop resistance later in life for perticular food item they may have been allergic to in childhood but for many allergy remains a lifelong problem.
Old 8th April 2013, 11:43   #3321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have never talked about NOT consuming proteins.
ALL I have talked about is why pay so much for a powder when you can have the same proteins from food (at significantly much lower prices).

Fast absorbing proteins etc is just hogwash to sell in our consumerist society.
Hence, I do not subscribe to the view that Whey is the best, and should be taken immediately after the workout ... etc

Concentrated whey gives out 20gms protiein per scoop. A body requires 1 gm protein/1kg bodyweight. So for 80kgs of body weight one would require 80 gms protein. If normal diet gives one about 40gms of protein, then supplements are needed to give the additional 40 grams.
I take my supplements within 30 mins post work out, in water and it has given me great results. If egg whites work for you, great, we must do whatever works for us.
BTW even egg whites give me heat allergy, so does excess of chicken, mangoes, papayas etc. Cant help it.
Old 8th April 2013, 11:50   #3322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
What is so surprising about it ? Allergy can be from any thing.

A lot of people have allegry from egg albumin in fact it is second most common allergy , IMHO "heat" here is a common language term used for hives which a person get from allergic reaction because reddish hives often cause mild burning sensation and often there is rise in body temperature

Food allergies are mostly genetic some people develop resistance later in life for perticular food item they may have been allergic to in childhood but for many allergy remains a lifelong problem.
All right, egg allergy is perfectly acceptable, I have seen people use the term "Heat" extremely loosely, and therefore I felt it had to do something with digestion.
Old 8th April 2013, 12:04   #3323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Concentrated whey gives out 20gms protiein per scoop. A body requires 1 gm protein/1kg bodyweight. So for 80kgs of body weight one would require 80 gms protein. If normal diet gives one about 40gms of protein, then supplements are needed to give the additional 40 grams.
I take my supplements within 30 mins post work out, in water and it has given me great results. If egg whites work for you, great, we must do whatever works for us.
BTW even egg whites give me heat allergy, so does excess of chicken, mangoes, papayas etc. Cant help it.
I have been trying to get this point across with a lot of extreme reactions coming my way. Our Indian diets, do not make up for that sort of intake. I will repeat for all those who've replied before that we 'supplement' our protein intake and not replace it. Anyway I've seen significant gains over time now.

There are 8-9 supplements that are suggested for a builder and there it's a marketing bluff and people who fall for it..oh well their loss.
Old 16th April 2013, 13:16   #3324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like that's his secret !
Old 17th July 2013, 18:04   #3325
BHPian

Guys, any good gym in or near Electronics City, Bangalore?
Old 17th July 2013, 19:45   #3326
BHPian

Quote:

Check this Page out GYM Memes lots of funny people in gyms and Memes we relate to.
Old 13th August 2013, 01:48   #3327
Senior - BHPian

Kindly excuse this rather noobish question,but i'd love to hear what the experienced guys here think.

Why Proteins ?
I've been working out for 2 months now and I eat about 6 egg whites a day with about 200 gms of chicken for protein to bulk up. My stamina and ability to lift weights has gradually increased but the results aren't exactly great i.e I could only lift the barbell when doing a bench press with NO weights at start, now I can do about 10 reps with 2.5 kgs before I tire out,anything higher is only with the trainer's assistance. Biceps i'm much better but max is 7.5 kgs.

I've been avoiding supplements as much as I can, but looking at all my buddies' gains through supplements i'm thinking if I should take it. I have a few questions regarding supplements:
  • Should I take Whey Protein or Whey Isolate ? Also which brand is recommended ? I searched the thread and ON Gold Standard wasn't highly spoken off, Myofusion seems more popular.
  • Should I also take Creatine or Whey alone will suffice ?
  • Once I start, how many months will I have to take it for ? Is it till I build muscle or I'll have to continue taking it post that for however long I want big muscles. This is important since after a year or 2, I want to go back to martail arts. Thanks to my lean body I get injured 3 out of 5 days with martial arts!!
  • How long will a 5lb tub last considering they're pretty expensive at 5k or so a tub
  • Should I just increase the egg count and chicken ? Boiled eggs,tandoori chicken are quite difficult to eat after a certain point of time as I get bored with the taste :(

Last edited by shashank.nk : 13th August 2013 at 01:55.
Old 13th August 2013, 08:48   #3328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
My stamina and ability to lift weights has gradually increased but the results aren't exactly great i.e I could only lift the barbell when doing a bench press with NO weights at start, now I can do about 10 reps with 2.5 kgs before I tire out,anything higher is only with the trainer's assistance. Biceps i'm much better but max is 7.5 kgs.

I would suggest for some time forget about amount of Protien and bulking up and concentrate more on increasing weights you can lift. Lesser number of repetitions with more weights will help to build muscles.

Also for the chisled muscular look you need to reduce body fat and get leaner body.
I have no personal experience of great muscles but just to give an idea. I do bench press with total 47 kg ( 17.5 kg on each side +12 kg bar ) after benchpress with bar I move on to chest press with 20kg in each hand but still no muscles to show off but I am kind of ok with it because other benefits of exercise outweigh the chisled look.

Guys in my gym who have good looking bods do pushups between the sets and generally spend double the time I spend exercising.
Usually you need multiple combinations concentrating on same muscle group before your body responds.
Old 13th August 2013, 09:55   #3329
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is it till I build muscle or I'll have to continue taking it post that for however long I want big muscles. This is important since after a year or 2, I want to go back to martail arts. Thanks to my lean body I get injured 3 out of 5 days with martial arts!!
Ah, finally something I can answer.

What is the purpose of your workout? If it is martial arts, then you have been going it the wrong way. Don't get influenced by big muscled people doing martial arts in the movies. Martial artists need fast functional muscles, not bulky muscles. Think Bruce lee, Jet Lee, Jackie Chan... Not Arnold, Stallone.

Focus more on body weight calisthenics and less on free weights. It is sustainable on a long run while taking normal food. I haven't taken single supplement in 29 years of workout. I still practice martial arts at 44.

Checkout this gentlemen at 64:

And he doesn't take any supplements either:

Old 13th August 2013, 10:12   #3330
BHPian

Quote:
  • Should I take Whey Protein or Whey Isolate ? Also which brand is recommended ? I searched the thread and ON Gold Standard wasn't highly spoken off, Myofusion seems more popular.
  • Should I also take Creatine or Whey alone will suffice ?
  • Once I start, how many months will I have to take it for ? Is it till I build muscle or I'll have to continue taking it post that for however long I want big muscles. This is important since after a year or 2, I want to go back to martail arts. Thanks to my lean body I get injured 3 out of 5 days with martial arts!!
  • How long will a 5lb tub last considering they're pretty expensive at 5k or so a tub
  • Should I just increase the egg count and chicken ? Boiled eggs,tandoori chicken are quite difficult to eat after a certain point of time as I get bored with the taste :(
For point1: As far as I can suggest is to start up with Whey protein (assuming that you would be taking up supplements for the first time). Ultimate whey protien is recommended over ON's whey (this was suggested by my tutor who is a professional). Please stay away from Creatine. Creatine is not the stuff to start with. It will give serious health issues if proper care is not taken.

Since you are planning to go back to martial arts, Samurai is correct. You need lean body and lots of stamina. For that shed off excess fat.

Since you mentioned your stamina is increasing but not as you expect, do you include cardio training? Cardio is a good way to increase stamina. Also distribute your workout in 3-3 days. 3 days heavy weights and 3 days light weights with more reps. More continous reps will also help in increasing your stamina.

And each person's body style is different. One person may look like Arnold in 6 months and doing the same workout another person might not.

Do share your fitness routine which you follow.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks