Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2014, 11:15   #3511
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Martial arts and no injuries? I've had plenty of them, but only remember the really bad ones. But I am patient, I wait them out.....
Probably that's what I wanted to hear. Don't take me otherwise, I'm not happy about you injuring yourself, just that other people also exist who do get injured often and they wait it out like 6 months or even a year if need be.

I've waited for a calf muscle tear to heal for about 2 years. It was recently that I was able to start an HIIT program and this shoulder injury has frustrated me a lot. I thought maybe protein powder could help in faster healing but I guess I'll just wait.
Old 22nd January 2014, 11:36   #3512
Team-BHP Support

Always ramp-up the intensity gradually, and avoid anything that forces you do too much in too little time. I have tried so many fitness fads in the 90s when I was US, injuries were very regular. I recall one stupid program called Tae Bo, due to which I pulled a hip muscle and limped for many weeks.
Old 23rd January 2014, 15:53   #3513
BHPian

I was planning to buy a home exercise bench primarily for doing bench presses, leg curls, etc. Snapdeal shows some options here. There's a flat 26% Republic Day discount sale on at present.

Any suggestions on what might be a good brand? Any forum member who has used benches from Kamachi, Lifeline, Toppro, Baspo, etc? Would appreciate any guidance on the matter.

Last edited by satyaanveshi : 23rd January 2014 at 15:56.
Old 23rd January 2014, 16:37   #3514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
I tried Whey protein a few times in the past. What it does to me is just give me bloating sensation and lot of gastric problems. Thought it was because of some other stuff but over time I realised that I have lactose intolerance. Most of the Whey protein also has lactose (trust me, even the Whey isolate has).
Whey protein will obviously have lactose as it is derived from milk. If you have lactose intolerance, and still want protein supplements, you can try soy-based supplements.

The Indian vegetarian diet derives most of its proteins from dairy products and pulses/legumes. So if you are a vegetarian and also have lactose intolerance then you better make sure you take plenty of soy. If you are a non-vegetarian, then being lactose intolerant is less of an issue.

Thankfully, lactose intolerance seems to be quite rare among Indian vegetarians.
Old 24th January 2014, 10:30   #3515
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Samurai San .. came back to T-BHP after a long time and heartened to see that it was of help in some way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Today at 12PM, I did 5 sets as follows: 50 + 70 + 50 + 50 + 100!!!
[I had even missed breakfast today]

Thanks Amit. Took me little less than 5 months to go from 50 to 100. Now I gotta pick a new fitness goal... may be pullups.
Old 24th January 2014, 10:43   #3516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
What do you guys think about kettlebell? I am pretty impressed by a seminar and thinking of joining a two day training program. Does anyone has experience with them?

I heard they are great for building core strength.
Yes Kettbells are good provided you know how to use and don't injure yourself.

Kettlebell swings and pelvic thrusts are amazing way to exercise abdominal muscles which never gets exercised unless you know a zillion variations of floor exercises.

Theoretically there should not be difference between dumbbell and kettle-bell but there is one key difference which is in the grip , it is very difficult and unsafe to hold a 16-20KG dumbbell and swing it shifting between hands like this.
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...wingCatch.html

Last edited by amitk26 : 24th January 2014 at 10:46. Reason: Link got blocked
Old 20th February 2014, 11:49   #3517
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

Need your help/advice on the following matter.

Some background:
Beginning of March last year I weighed around 94 kilos. Had never been to a gym and the last time I played sports regularly was almost a decade ago. So I was overweight and had a lot of body fat

Cut to September last year, I reduced my weight to 82-83 kgs. For 6 months did a lot of running and cardio exercises in the gym.

Since September, I started to concentrate more on doing weights and have been regularly going to the gym. But that doesn't mean I have deserted cardio altogether. (I run to the gym - so a 2 km roundtrip almost everyday)

Now the problem: my weight has shot up to 88-89kg. What could be the reason for this? What is wrong or what am i doing wrong? Because I have never been more regular to the gym, as I have been in the last 6 months, plus I am very careful of what I eat.

PS: I didn't ticker with my diet anytime while I became a regular to the gym. It is what my family eats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
*Good number = a normal looking person (not excessively thin - these guys have enormous advantage) would be unable to achieve these unless he is genetically gifted athlete or he has been training for at least 6-12 months.
Thanks alpha1. That was a nicely explained post.

Last edited by rrsteer : 20th February 2014 at 11:51.
Old 20th February 2014, 13:32   #3518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Hi Guys,

Cut to September last year, I reduced my weight to 82-83 kgs. For 6 months did a lot of running and cardio exercises in the gym.
Congratulations!!! Lot of people struggle to achieve such a dramatic weight loss. You deserve a pat in the back for your perseverance.

Quote:
Now the problem: my weight has shot up to 88-89kg. What could be the reason for this? What is wrong or what am i doing wrong? Because I have never been more regular to the gym, as I have been in the last 6 months, plus I am very careful of what I eat..
Your weight gain could be due to increase in muscle mass. Plus, since you have limited your cardio, there could be some increase in the fat deposition. I suggest you to keep cardio as part of your regimen at least twice a week. Rest of the three days distribute your workout between the major muscles. For e.g. Day 1 : Chest, Biceps, Triceps Day 2 : Back, Shoulders and Abs Day 3 : Calfs, Quads and lower body.

Quote:
PS: I didn't ticker with my diet anytime while I became a regular to the gym. It is what my family eats.
Yeah, don;t diet. Keep eating what everyone eats. Instead of 3 times meal, try 4 or 5 times meal in smaller quantity. You will lose weight faster.
Old 20th February 2014, 14:24   #3519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post

Your weight gain could be due to increase in muscle mass. Plus, since you have limited your cardio, there could be some increase in the fat deposition. I suggest you to keep cardio as part of your regimen at least twice a week. Rest of the three days distribute your workout between the major muscles. For e.g. Day 1 : Chest, Biceps, Triceps Day 2 : Back, Shoulders and Abs Day 3 : Calfs, Quads and lower body.
Hi Sukhoi, What i am struggling to understand is why is there a 6 kg weight increase in just 4.5 months?
Also I am quite regular with cardio, and the intensity is high too. I love to run. In the month of Jan alone, conservatively speaking, I must have ran for more than 120kms (includes treadmill, runs to gym, Sunday country side run etc)

1) If this is only muscle increase, then isn't 6kg a lot? And why don't I see it in the mirror?

2) Ultimately, I want to settle down to a more manageable daily regime. Something that I can do without incurring costs and anywhere. (like running)

This weight gain has tossed all my calculations out of the window. Does it mean you always have to continue working hard at your body, for it to not gain weight.

I still have excess body fat. My aim is to reach a desired level of fat ( which I thought would be achieved in the next 4-5 months), and after having done that I would want to just maintain that level. Since I love to run and have now demonstrated discipline towards food over a period of time, I thought that could be done by just running everyday for 2-3 kms. Is that incorrect thinking?

Btw. I never gave a thought to my weight after it reduced to a target level. I thought my routine would at worst keep it stable and at best reduce it further by 3-4 kg. (per BMI my ideal weight shd be 75-84kg). I just stepped on the weighing machine for fun today, alas it shocked me!

PS: sorry for turning the thread into my personal diary

Last edited by rrsteer : 20th February 2014 at 14:26.
Old 20th February 2014, 16:11   #3520
BHPian

Quote:
This weight gain has tossed all my calculations out of the window. Does it mean you always have to continue working hard at your body, for it to not gain weight.
I suggest you revisit your diet and start counting your calories. There's no way in the world a normal person without any health issues could gain weight (muscle or fat) without being in a caloric surplus - this is just the science of it.

When you started out on your goals, you did cardio which burned more calories than you consumed and hence you lost weight. So now, it's either you aren't working hard enough or you're eating more calories than what your maintenance requires.

Good approach would be to calculate what your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is and eat accordingly, which in your case should be less than the TDEE to lose weight. Aim to eat 10-20% lesser than your TDEE; anything more and your body will start storing fat and burn muscle for energy. Lots of online calculators available. Remember to eat clean and break calories into many small meals throughout the day.
Good luck and stick to it!
Old 21st February 2014, 10:48   #3521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Since September, I started to concentrate more on doing weights and have been regularly going to the gym. But that doesn't mean I have deserted cardio altogether. (I run to the gym - so a 2 km roundtrip almost everyday)

Now the problem: my weight has shot up to 88-89kg. What could be the reason for this? What is wrong or what am i doing wrong? Because I have never been more regular to the gym, as I have been in the last 6 months, plus I am very careful of what I eat.
Can you tell me your age?
Also did you see any change in your levels of fatigue, enthusiasm, mood, sleep, appetite, - anything that you may never correlate with "gaining weight".

Also there is one simple test of checking whether you have gained fat (you shouldn't worry about gaining weight at all - our bodies are about 70% water and that can play a lot)
So the simple way of checking whether you have gained fat or not: your circumference around the part that your body has natural tendency of depositing fat.

Eg: Mine is around waist. When my weight rose from 75 kg to 80 kg, there was an big change in waist size = by 2-3 inches. = Simple that I gained mostly fat.
However, another time the increase of weight from 75 to 80kg resulted in hardly any change in trouser size (based on waist).

SO have you gained fat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek.Martin View Post
I suggest you revisit your diet and start counting your calories. There's no way in the world a normal person without any health issues could gain weight (muscle or fat) without being in a caloric surplus - this is just the science of it.
There is a way (not really, but apparently). Metabolism. Caused by various external reasons as well as internal hormonal reasons.
So you are right that caloric excess will always lead to weight gain - but the baseline caloric expenditure of someone in teenage will never remain the same (for the same person) now pushing 40s. Hence, with age you require less amount of caloric intake to maintain the same weight.

Last edited by alpha1 : 21st February 2014 at 10:53.
Old 21st February 2014, 11:18   #3522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you tell me your age?
Also did you see any change in your levels of fatigue, enthusiasm, mood, sleep, appetite, - anything that you may never correlate with "gaining weight".

Also there is one simple test of checking whether you have gained fat (you shouldn't worry about gaining weight at all - our bodies are about 70% water and that can play a lot)
So the simple way of checking whether you have gained fat or not: your circumference around the part that your body has natural tendency of depositing fat.
Hi alpha1, to answer your first question, I am 32 years old.

Since gaining (or trying to) control over my fitness, I have been feeling better and am more active. I attribute a lot to my new found interest in being fit, that I am just wanting to try out new things and develop new hobbies. Also I am almost always hungry (but most of the times its my tongue thats wagging). But, and I have been noticing this for sometime, that my average daily sleep has been cut to 6-7hrs. But I have a very sound sleep.

I put on weight around my waist and thighs. There is no increase in inch size, it may have decreased by a few minor points.

*This increase in weight is not worrying at all- though I want to reduce it.

Last edited by rrsteer : 21st February 2014 at 11:22.
Old 21st February 2014, 12:36   #3523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi alpha1, to answer your first question, I am 32 years old.

Since gaining (or trying to) control over my fitness, I have been feeling better and am more active. I attribute a lot to my new found interest in being fit, that I am just wanting to try out new things and develop new hobbies. Also I am almost always hungry (but most of the times its my tongue thats wagging). But, and I have been noticing this for sometime, that my average daily sleep has been cut to 6-7hrs. But I have a very sound sleep.

I put on weight around my waist and thighs. There is no increase in inch size, it may have decreased by a few minor points.

*This increase in weight is not worrying at all- though I want to reduce it.
All right one more question:
What exactly is your weight training program like (very briefly).
Also your weight training program makes you feel like you've sprint 50m or 100m or 200m or 400m or 800m or further? I am sure as a runner you would be able to correlate (based on breathing/burn/pulse).

About 6 kg gain is 6 months would be fantastic if all muscle! People cycle steroids to achieve such gains.
Old 21st February 2014, 13:21   #3524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All right one more question:
What exactly is your weight training program like (very briefly).
Hi again,

Since Sep, this is what I am doing: (I am taking the case of a normal week; some weeks are more intense and on some I miss out)

Day 1: Chest
Day 2: Shoulders
Day 3: Bicep/tricep
Day 4: Back
Day 5: Typically miss it
Day 6: Lower body

In addition I intersperse stomach crunches/ bench lifts randomly with the above routine.

Difficult for me to correlate it to sprinting. Since sprinting is continuous, while I take adequate rest between sets and different exercises. I'd put it this way, after session I have never felt so emptied out so as to, not be able to run back home (a distance about .8k)
Old 21st February 2014, 14:23   #3525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi again,

Since Sep, this is what I am doing: (I am taking the case of a normal week; some weeks are more intense and on some I miss out)

Day 1: Chest
Day 2: Shoulders
Day 3: Bicep/tricep
Day 4: Back
Day 5: Typically miss it
Day 6: Lower body

In addition I intersperse stomach crunches/ bench lifts randomly with the above routine.

Difficult for me to correlate it to sprinting. Since sprinting is continuous, while I take adequate rest between sets and different exercises. I'd put it this way, after session I have never felt so emptied out so as to, not be able to run back home (a distance about .8k)
If your rep ranges are pretty high (lets say higher than 5 reps) - much of this 6 kg increase will be increased water retention in your muscles along with increased glycogen storage.

If your rep range has been pretty low - much of this 6 kg increase should be muscles + fat.

(this is the reason why I asked the equivalent sprint effort, 50 m being most intense - but doesn't really get you huffing and panting. 400 m and above causes more "burn" sensation - equivalent to higher rep protocol).

Anyway since there has been very less fat increase (measured by waist) I am sure you don't even need to think about BMI/weight etc.

###
Just wanted to ask you - why just one day for lower body compared to 4 days(!) for upper?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks