Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2014, 15:05   #3571
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Does it answer your question?
Thanks it does. From the website I couldn't make out what the program would be.

But then isn't it misleading to call it "beach bodies"?
I was expecting something which would magically transform me into Steve Reeves

Anyway what is beachbody to me will not be the same for others ...
Old 27th March 2014, 15:16   #3572
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone undergone an Ultrasonic/Ultrasound Treatment for muscle injury before? How did it work out for you?

I've been getting it done since the last 10 days however there is absolutely no improvement in the pain that I had in my right shoulder. The MRI didn't conclude a tear for sure, the report said that its possible that there might be a tear (suspicion of tear is what they said) and there is some fluid accumulatation.

Across the net there are different views on ultrasound treatment for muscle healing but nothing conclusive actually. Does anybody have any experience with this?
Old 27th March 2014, 16:48   #3573
BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone undergone an Ultrasonic/Ultrasound Treatment for muscle injury before? How did it work out for you?

I've been getting it done since the last 10 days however there is absolutely no improvement in the pain that I had in my right shoulder. The MRI didn't conclude a tear for sure, the report said that its possible that there might be a tear (suspicion of tear is what they said) and there is some fluid accumulatation.

Across the net there are different views on ultrasound treatment for muscle healing but nothing conclusive actually. Does anybody have any experience with this?

The rationale for US in pain relief is 'gate theory' . That is the extra US stimulation overwhelms the spinal cord and lesser pain signals go up to the brain . This is also unproven and widely controversial and such treatment is never recommended as the only remedy for injury .

There has been no study that has successfully proven the effectiveness of US in tissue healing .

Last edited by drsingh : 27th March 2014 at 17:06.
Old 28th March 2014, 10:45   #3574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am not sure if it was ultrasonic treatment - but folks used to apply some gel on my neck and shoulder and hold a device (I remember ultrasonic generator) and press against the skin. Used to give some heat deep inside.

To be very honest, I liked the sensation but never actually benefited from it (the pain subsided in one month's time -which anyway happens with most muscular or ligament injuries). To me all this is like the "pain relief" balms that you get in the markets. It is only to distract your mind away - doesn't lower the pain or cure it.

Also a way of earning cool bucks ... Remember the whole "health & medical" industry is out there to just make huge money.

Last edited by alpha1 : 28th March 2014 at 10:46.
Old 28th March 2014, 10:53   #3575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I am not sure if it was ultrasonic treatment - but folks used to apply some gel on my neck and shoulder and hold a device (I remember ultrasonic generator) and press against the skin. Used to give some heat deep inside.
That was UltraSound for sure. The first few days i also felt good simply because of the heating bit but absolutely no improvement even after having it done for 10 days.

Not to mention they charge 200 bucks for those 10 mins of US each day. As of now I'm using a hot water bottle and planning to simply wait out this injury.
Old 28th March 2014, 11:17   #3576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post
I am not exactly interested in having a 6-pack but definitely want to lower my fat percentage to single digit. So far this has been a struggle.
Have you tried intermittent fasting?
It works without making you look like a Somalian waif (which most dieters looks like).

It will also improve your digestive system to teenager levels (I am assuming that you are past teens - which means no more gas, bloating, acidity, irritable bowel etc - eat whatever you may.
Old 28th March 2014, 11:51   #3577
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It works without making you look like a Somalian waif (which most dieters looks like).

It will also improve your digestive system to teenager levels (I am assuming that you are past teens - which means no more gas, bloating, acidity, irritable bowel etc - eat whatever you may.
Could you tell us more about this?
Old 28th March 2014, 11:55   #3578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Isn't this unhealthy for the body. Also, this is not a long-term proposition so the body, which might have adapted to the new routine, would go back to its previous state once a person is off-fasting.

Moreover, what about the muscle breakdown during this process?
Old 28th March 2014, 13:22   #3579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Isn't this unhealthy for the body. Also, this is not a long-term proposition so the body, which might have adapted to the new routine, would go back to its previous state once a person is off-fasting.

I can't quite fathom how staying away from food for a brief period (like 16-20 hrs which includes about 8-10 hours of sleep too) become unhealthy or lead to muscle breakdown.

If you observe any wild animal - carnivore (check your pet cat/dog who is not on pedigree), herbivore (check bovine creatures) or omnivore (any bird/fowl, dog) there are only two ways of feeding yourself:
1. continuous grazing extremely small amount of nutritionally "non-dense" food (high water and fibre)
2. very infrequent but big sized feeding of nutritionally dense food (meat mainly)

Another thing to note is that any animal (and thus someone who follows instincts) will START the pursuit of trying to feed itself ONLY AFTER it starts feeling hungry.

It is only human beings that keep feeding themselves with copious amount of food (like a saline drip) simply because they don't have anything else to do (like while watching TV or at theaters)

Regarding the muscle breakdown stuff - Bodybuilders of the yore (1950s and before) made superb bodies with only 2-3 meals a day. And to be honest today's natural body builders don't fare much better than them in lifting strengths and/or physique (except reduced body fat) in spite of feeding themselves even during sleep. In fact quite a few bodybuilders of even 70s and 80s were feeding themselves only once a day! (I remember Serge Nubret - who used to eat horse meat and rice and beans only once a day).

The frequent feeding, humongous protein consumption etc all is a basic requirement to get big muscles ONLY if you are running testosterone 10-100 times higher than a normal human (which implies external aid).
If you are not, it gets wasted, increased load on the digestive system, produces excess metabolites and toxins and you never know what repercussions could be later in life.

Last edited by alpha1 : 28th March 2014 at 13:25.
Old 28th March 2014, 13:43   #3580
Senior - BHPian

If you are talking about fasting every alternate day then wouldn't this cause a slowdown in the metabolic rate? Also, my question on muscle breakdown was based on the assumption that muscles would break before/parallel to fat breakdown when there is no food reaching the body.

Also, small frequent meals are a proven way of keeping the metabolic rate higher than those who consume same no. of calories but through 2 or 3 meals only.
Old 28th March 2014, 13:50   #3581
BANNED

Quote:

Intermittent fasting is good but doesn't work for me as my daily grind is quiet hectic. Instead I do calorie/carb cycling.

I have spread my weight loss programmes over 6 weeks. Two weeks of 2000 cal. Two weeks 1800 cal (2 high cal/carb days in between). And two weeks 1600 cal (2 high cal/carb days in between).

At the end of the first phase I have been able to lose 1.5 kgs. I did not touch the bar (due to my daughter's school holidays) and also wasn't too regular with running & cardio.

This Monday onwards I am on 1800 cal diet. Also started moderate weights and intense cardio. Am continuing to lose weight and so far have lost around 1 inch at waist.

Let's see how it goes.
Am I a teenager?

Quote:

Any weight loss programme should not be extended over long time period. Any one who wants to be healthy should eat clean atleast as much as the body requires.

Sorry to hear about the lack of progress with US treatment. I am sure that your Orthopedist is guiding you well. My experience has been that muscles heal themselves well with rest and time. But I am not sure about the seriousness of your injury.
Old 28th March 2014, 15:05   #3582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are talking about fasting every alternate day then wouldn't this cause a slowdown in the metabolic rate? Also, my question on muscle breakdown was based on the assumption that muscles would break before/parallel to fat breakdown when there is no food reaching the body.

Also, small frequent meals are a proven way of keeping the metabolic rate higher than those who consume same no. of calories but through 2 or 3 meals only.
I am sure there would be no scientific study done which can actually prove a cause an effect relationship here for the following assumptions:
1. Fasting for few hours (basically staying hungry for a few hours, fasting is too dramatic a word) but feeding afterwards with the daily requisite calories leads to slower metabolism.
2. Muscle breakdown starts happening as soon as there is no food reaching the body (by food do you mean glucose?) [Actually muscle breakdown happens all the time - our body has a amino acid pool where old cells contribute and this pool feeds the new cells demand]
3.Frequent meals lead to higher metabolism.

I would put my money on it that all this was outcome of Wieder broscience.
(like the "chase the pump" and high volume training)

In fact come to think of it - why do we store fats in our bodies but not glucose/proteins?

Last edited by alpha1 : 28th March 2014 at 15:13.
Old 28th March 2014, 15:14   #3583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am sure there would be no scientific study done which can actually prove a cause an effect relationship.....
I would put my money on it that all this was outcome of Wieder broscience.
(like the "chase the pump" and high volume training)
I was taking a cue from increased insulin levels due to absence of glucose in blood for a long time and muscle-tissue breakdown - protein to glucose. Not sure when it happens, whats the extent of it but what I do find true is that folks who gain lean mass and stop supplying their body with adequate proteins like they did earlier, the muscle breaks down eventually and whatever they gained during the workout phase is gone.

This has happened to my brother also who is currently eating more than what he was while working out but the moment he stepped off the whey protein his muscles started depleting and he's back to looking like before.
Old 28th March 2014, 15:52   #3584
BANNED

Quote:
This has happened to my brother also who is currently eating more than what he was while working out but the moment he stepped off the whey protein his muscles started depleting and he's back to looking like before.
Strange. Once you stop exercising muscles tend to lose definition but it doesn't deplete. And it takes some time.

I have a feeling that since he has stopped working out and upped his food intake the muscles have been coated coated in a layer of fat. But this is just a guess. Can you give us details, what workout etc.

Moreover, the role of whey is also overhyped. During bulking phase and to an extent even while you are cutting you can do away with it. I really wonder what's happening in case of your brother.

Last edited by anandjha : 28th March 2014 at 15:55.
Old 28th March 2014, 16:12   #3585
BHPian

Quote:
Very strange.
How regular he was and for how long did he do weight training?

Muscles once built can not last for life but losing them will take some time unless you completely change your lifestyle and become a couch potato and eat lot of crap food.

It doesn't really matter if he took whey or not. Whey is over hyped but when you work out and build muscle you build it using protein but whether it comes from Whey or normal food has to do nothing with losing muscles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post
Strange. Once you stop exercising muscles tend to lose definition but it doesn't deplete. And it takes some time.

I have a feeling that since he has stopped working out and upped his food intake the muscles have been coated coated in a layer of fat. But this is just a guess. Can you give us details, what workout etc.

Moreover, the role of whey is also overhyped. During bulking phase and to an extent even while you are cutting you can do away with it. I really wonder what's happening in case of your brother.

Whey (with some glucose) is only useful post workout as body is in need of protein and can utilize it most effectively. Otherwise I see no value.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks