Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2014, 12:44   #3631
BHPian

Clean Bulking Completed!

I clean bulked for about 2-3 months to add about 8lbs. My current weight is 68.6kg/151lbs

I have started cutting now till august for my marriage. So, these are my Before pics for cutting or Post Clean bulking pics (taken 2 days back).

I know that I need to improve my lats on the front lat spread and I need to add some mass on the lower abs. According to me, my best bodyparts would be my Traps and Biceps.

Please provide me with your valuable feedback on what improvements I need to make in order to compete in Musclemania India Natural Bodybuilding competition in Fitness Division next year (Most probably July/August 2015).
Attached Thumbnails
Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-imag0035.jpg  

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-imag0037.jpg  

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-imag0043.jpg  

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-imag0044.jpg  

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-imag0045.jpg  

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-imag0046.jpg  

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-imag0048.jpg  

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-img_20140602_095751.jpg  

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-img_20140602_095831.jpg  

Old 5th June 2014, 14:25   #3632
Senior - BHPian

Re: Clean Bulking Completed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaseenar View Post
I clean bulked for about 2-3 months to add about 8lbs. My current weight is 68.6kg/151lbs

I have started cutting now till august for my marriage. So, these are my Before pics for cutting or Post Clean bulking pics (taken 2 days back).

I know that I need to improve my lats on the front lat spread and I need to add some mass on the lower abs. According to me, my best bodyparts would be my Traps and Biceps.

Please provide me with your valuable feedback on what improvements I need to make in order to compete in Musclemania India Natural Bodybuilding competition in Fitness Division next year (Most probably July/August 2015).
Great results.
Forget about abs, as far as I know and have observed/experienced, you can change very little about them barring the reduction of bodyfat (and placebo).

How about slightly more lateral deltoid and perhaps triceps too? I think the rest of the muscles are in good proportion.

Or perhaps don't listen to me at all. I have a preference for hulk kind of physique where the backside of the body dwarfs the front side (like triceps bigger than biceps), traps delts and lats bigger than chest, hams bigger than quads etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Most of the protein rich foods i eat like eggs ,cheese,nuts etc causes what is called "heat" or hives on my face.As a result i have to reduce consumption of the above or totally stop having them.What can be the workaround for same ? Any ideas why the heat things come up in the first place ? Can drinking gallons of water be a remedy to same ?

Thanks
You didn't mention meat. You seem to have some allergy to something which perhaps you have not been able to pinpoint till now. There is no "heat" concept involved. Just reading off the wikipedia: The most common food allergies in adults are shellfish and nuts. The most common food allergies in children are shellfish, nuts, eggs, wheat, and soy. One study showed Balsam of Peru, which is in many foods, to be the most common cause of immediate contact urticaria. A less common cause is exposure to certain bacteria, such as Streptococcus species or possibly Helicobacter pylori.

Last edited by alpha1 : 5th June 2014 at 14:51.
Old 5th June 2014, 14:54   #3633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaseenar View Post

Do you press on incline? you could build upper chest more with incline press.

The front vs backside debates used to be known as Cadillacs vs Volkswagen'ers !

Last edited by srishiva : 5th June 2014 at 14:56.
Old 5th June 2014, 14:57   #3634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Great results.
Forget about abs, as far as I know and have observed/experienced, you can change very little about them barring the reduction of bodyfat (and placebo).

How about slightly more lateral deltoid and perhaps triceps too? I think the rest of the muscles are in good proportion.

Or perhaps don't listen to me at all. I have a preference for hulk kind of physique where the backside of the body dwarfs the front side (like triceps bigger than biceps), traps delts and lats bigger than chest, hams bigger than quads etc
Yeah.. Delts need to be improved as they are dwarfed by my dominant traps.

I guess Triceps is good and it will be more visible when cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Do you press on incline? you could build upper chest a more with incline press.

The front vs backside debates used to called Cadillacs vs Volkswagen'ers !
I do inclined dumbell press but my gym has only till 25kg which I can easily do like 10 reps. I guess I need to start doing inclined barbell press from now on.
Old 25th June 2014, 00:44   #3635
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Any feedback on Anabolic Nitro Whey by Matrix Nutrition and Super Creatine by APN?
Old 26th June 2014, 15:35   #3636
BHPian

I use Amway's Nutrilite Protein Powder ( when I am healthy)
Right now I am taking Positrim ( Weight Management Program from Amway).( Right now I have gained a lot of weight)
Old 26th June 2014, 16:01   #3637
Team-BHP Support

How did you buy it? Amway India Head is currently in Jail due to their direct selling scam/scheme.
Old 26th June 2014, 16:50   #3638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Amway India Head is currently in Jail due to their direct selling scam/scheme.
Amway is doing its operations as usual in all states except Kerala.

Even that CEO might not be in Jail any more since he was on a 14-day remand that started on May 26th.
Old 27th June 2014, 11:51   #3639

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg83 View Post
I use Amway's Nutrilite Protein Powder ( when I am healthy)
Right now I am taking Positrim ( Weight Management Program from Amway).( Right now I have gained a lot of weight)
IMHO, most of Amway's products are decent but hopelessly overpriced. The protein powder, if i recall correctly, is priced at about Rs 3000 a key, despite being soy protein instead of whey (I'd think by now it's been conclusively proved whey is far superior to soy). With that money, you're better off buying Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard Whey, one of the best on the market.

Same with Positrim, you'll find plenty of decent alternative meal replacement products, about as good but far cheaper.

To previous poster (sorry haven't yet figured out how to use the multiquote feature), have used Anabolic Nitro Whey with decent results. My own understanding of working out and nutrition tells me that unless you're not a pro for whom every percent of body fat matters, pretty much any respectable brand of whey (including either concentrate, isolate or hydrolized) should give you results -- what's more important is the amount of effort you put in and your overall nutrition habits.
Old 3rd July 2014, 01:19   #3640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Hi Guys,

Need your help/advice on the following matter.

Some background:
Beginning of March last year I weighed around 94 kilos. Had never been to a gym and the last time I played sports regularly was almost a decade ago. So I was overweight and had a lot of body fat

Cut to September last year, I reduced my weight to 82-83 kgs. For 6 months did a lot of running and cardio exercises in the gym.

Since September, I started to concentrate more on doing weights and have been regularly going to the gym. But that doesn't mean I have deserted cardio altogether. (I run to the gym - so a 2 km roundtrip almost everyday)

Now the problem: my weight has shot up to 88-89kg. What could be the reason for this? What is wrong or what am i doing wrong? Because I have never been more regular to the gym, as I have been in the last 6 months, plus I am very careful of what I eat.

PS: I didn't ticker with my diet anytime while I became a regular to the gym. It is what my family eats.

Thanks alpha1. That was a nicely explained post.
Its a bit late reply but just came across your post. As far as my understanding goes, when u rely solely on cardio , you lose much of your weight because of the muscle loss along with some fat loss. Now when you started weight training, you must have put on some muscle mass back and hence the weighing scale went north. The simple concept is that muscle ,although heavier than fat occupy less space in your body. (Best judge are your clothes, jeans excluding). So the right combination of weight training and cardio can surely increase your weight,all the while bringing your fat levels down. do take care of the various plateaus our body fall into. And keep varying your workout schedules, diet and rest days after every few months. I am sure you would be knowing that when we work out, those muscle tissues get micro tears and when you take adequate rest ( atleast 48 hours ), they are repaired and in the process enhanced, resulting in increased muscle mass and that big yet ripped physique. So plan your workout schedule in a way that all your muscle groups get proper rest . Include some functional training in your schedule, try to aim for 45 mins of strength training followed by 20 minutes of cardio and a complete day off between your workout days. That would revv up your metabolism. I hope you will find it useful. Wish you luck.
Old 4th July 2014, 12:32   #3641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Ok, when I used to workout, I relied for my protein on eggs, soyabean, lentils, sprouts, tofu/paneer and nuts. All natural, no supplements. I am an ectomorph, so there was no limitation on anything I eat and I gained some good mass and definition in quite short time.

So if you have eggs (an "eggetarian" like me), I think you don't need those heavy protein supplements. Gold Standard Whey from Optimum Nutrition (ON) is good, gives 24gm protein per scoop and it won't be as heavy on your stomach as others. Breakfast alongwith soyabeans, 3 eggs and 1 scoop of Whey in milk will give you around 40-45gm easily. So, you are balancing the natural and artificial source this way.
And if you want to go all out and have a Spartan protein intake then go for Pro Complex from ON. Some 60gm protein per serving.
If you want to go for zero carbs supplements then Nature's Best zero carb Isopure is the way to go. Even they give 50-55gm per serving with zero carbs. (these two are a bit on the costlier side, atleast for me, if one can afford then they are the best IMO).

And most importantly, they all taste good, so need not worry.

-Bhargav
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praveer View Post
Sir, didn't read what you wrote in previous pages. But for fat loss I would suggest you to first calculate your Macros. Macros are the 3 primary calorie sources which include protein, carb and fat. You can calculate these using IIFYM. After calculating these you can make a diet plan of you own and do keep in mind to keep approximately 500 calories less than what it is shown on IIFYM. For example if IIFYM shows 2500 daily calories then try to limit it to 2000 calories. In this way you will be calorie deficit. And then according to your macros you can decide upon the amount of protein you need to take.

And yes for vegetarians it is difficult to meet the protein requirements of the body. I always try to fulfil my protein intake from whole foods like egg whites and soya beans. But it not always possible so take protein shakes.

Hope this helps.

Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post
As far as I know that 50-70 gm in one go is way too high intake. Try to split it into chunks of 20-25 gm per serving. What I have also read is that body's capacity to digest protein is limited. It is somewhere around 24 gm per hour. I may be little wrong in terms of figures but it veers around this. Anything extra is simply ignored and the rate at which protein is available it would be terribly expensive.

Paid samples, I don't think are available. Various types of protein in the market include whey (easily digestible), casein (slow digesting) and blend of two. Reputed brands include Optimum Nutrition, Dymatize etc. I find chocolate whey on the tastier side. Vanilla is okay. Casein is tasty. 24 gm protein per scoop with around 3 gm carb.

Then there are hydrowhey, liquid amino and amino capsules with hardly any carb in them. But they are supremely costly.

You can buy them at Neulife Store in your city.
I am getting cookies and cream of the 100% Whey Gold standard for prices comparable to HK, here in Chennai, in the 2LB pack. I don't even know what to make of this flavor.

Is it tasty enough? I don't want to buy 3000 bucks worth of chalk (what i felt nutrilite was) again! HELP!
Old 4th July 2014, 12:49   #3642

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I am getting cookies and cream of the 100% Whey Gold standard for prices comparable to HK, here in Chennai, in the 2LB pack. I don't even know what to make of this flavor.

Is it tasty enough? I don't want to buy 3000 bucks worth of chalk (what i felt nutrilite was) again! HELP!
If you're getting ON Gold Standard very cheap, you might want to be sure it's original... as that particular product has the most number of fakes on the market.

I had heard ON lets you scan the QR code of each product and have it verified online for its originality but not sure of this.
Old 4th July 2014, 15:42   #3643
BANNED

Quote:

Once I had used cake or something like this on shopkeeper's recommendation. Needless to say it turned out to be awful.

I would suggest you go for chocolate. Though it tastes alright but it is most popular and perhaps your best bet.

Last edited by anandjha : 4th July 2014 at 15:43.
Old 4th July 2014, 16:50   #3644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazimk24 View Post
If you're getting ON Gold Standard very cheap, you might want to be sure it's original... as that particular product has the most number of fakes on the market.

I had heard ON lets you scan the QR code of each product and have it verified online for its originality but not sure of this.
I am getting it from the Neulife store itself, not any reseller anything.

they are basically matching the healthkart price of 3144 for the 2LB pack, which is only a 15% discount.

Besides QR scanning, what else should I do to test veracity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post
Once I had used cake or something like this on shopkeeper's recommendation. Needless to say it turned out to be awful.

I would suggest you go for chocolate. Though it tastes alright but it is most popular and perhaps your best bet.
ah okay. scratched out. Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 17:21   #3645

Quote:
I am getting it from the Neulife store itself, not any reseller anything.

they are basically matching the healthkart price of 3144 for the 2LB pack, which is only a 15% discount.

Besides QR scanning, what else should I do to test veracity?
Oh, ok. Then you won't really have to worry, since you're buying it from Neulife. Other than QR scanning, you can only draw from your own experience with the taste/texture/mixability and probably results to see if it looks/tastes any different.

Most Viewed