Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2014, 19:13   #3691
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Guys
Is there an alternate way to consume Soya chunks available in the market other than using it in full. I somehow dont like the texture and feel of biting into Soya and it also stands out in a typical vegetarian preparation. Can it be powdered and added to any other food stuff and consumed ?

Thanks
Soya atta is available mix in wheat atta and consume in form of Rotis.

A proper way to consume soya chunks is to add them to potato-tomato-peas sabzi.

BTW somehow I do like Soya Chunks on their own and consume them dry or after dipping in water LOL .
Old 21st August 2014, 12:49   #3692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
How bad are our typical whole wheat breads that are available over the counter? None of them are 100% whole wheat flour and all of them have preservatives etc.

I'm trying to find out whether the whole wheat bread that I eat everyday in the morning is mostly empty calorie or is it not too bad to have 2 bread toasts everyday in breakfast.
Talk to the bakers, they are quite open about the ingredients.
Most of the so called whole wheat bread will have about 2 parts maida (refined white flour) and 1 part atta (unrefined flour).

But then what is empty calorie? 1 gram of maida has almost the same no of calories which our body can use as 1 gram of atta. There is no difference. In my view empty calorie should mean something that body simply cannot assimilate and hence excretes it out - like dietary fibre.

Actually to be honest I find the whole maida vs atta arguments quite weak. And nothing but money making scheme by corporate marketers. (Ever found it funny that refined wheat products are cheaper and unrefined wheta products are more expensive?)

We have regions where people eat polished white rice their entire lives.
Do they have problems? So why would someone have problems with "polished white" wheat?

Lets see what do you lose when you eat refined flour or polished rice.
Germ and bran. Germ and bran are more nutrient rich.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wh..._nutrition.png

So what is the issue? Do we not eat other stuff like pulses, vegetables, fruits, meat/fish, eggs, oil, milk, nuts, berries? How many people who are well-off actually live SOLELY on boiled rice or baked wheat bread?

So what else we might be missing? Fibre. Fibre is present in the bran that is knocked off during the refining process.

What is the purpose? [from Wiki]

Advantages of consuming fiber are the production of healthful compounds during the fermentation of soluble fiber, and insoluble fiber's ability (via its passive hygroscopic properties) to increase bulk, soften stool, and shorten transit time through the intestinal tract.

Disadvantages of a diet high in fiber is the potential for significant intestinal gas production and bloating. Constipation can occur if insufficient fluid is consumed with a high-fiber diet.

Again, do you not eat fruits, vegetables, whole pulse (the ones that have not been splitted and hulled), nuts, berries?

###

Also in the overall grand scheme of life: how much white bread you consume (in grams) vs the other food that you eat (again in grams) in a week?

The whole refined vs unrefined argument hoods true for Western city dwellers (and unfortunately increasing rapidly Indian city dwellers too) - where they don't have even single item that is not produced in factories and sold in super markets.

Last edited by alpha1 : 21st August 2014 at 12:57.
Old 21st August 2014, 13:03   #3693
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pull up bar at home

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post
Thank you. Will surely get one. It is good to see that you have graduated from that lying pull up frame that you had made for yourself. By the way how many pull ups/chin ups you are managing to do now?
From zero when I started, now I can manage 4-5 chin-ups. Not a great progress, thanks to my weight. But I am not in a hurry, I have a lofty goal to reach 50 pullups when I turn 50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post
One more request to you as a moderator. If you could please get a thank you button on such similar threads as well.
I was one of the guys who wanted it removed for non-automotive discussions. We are afterall an auto forum.
Old 21st August 2014, 14:08   #3694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Also in the overall grand scheme of life: how much white bread you consume (in grams) vs the other food that you eat (again in grams) in a week?
You would never give a straight answer, would you?! But then that's what I like when I have learned people like you to discuss things with.

By empty calorie I meant something which brings no nutritional value (a sincere request you to not complicate this please ). I've simply heard all along that maida is not good and hence the question. While I assume that having 2 toasts daily isn't that harmful but I just wanted to check whether it has calories similar to what's contained in soft drinks like coke or pepsi. They are calories all right but simply sugar which doesn't give me anything else than sugar and taste.

Do maida+atta breads give any nutrition beyond taste, like maybe useful carb or a teeny tiny wee bit protein?
Old 21st August 2014, 14:54   #3695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Do maida+atta breads give any nutrition beyond taste, like maybe useful carb or a teeny tiny wee bit protein?
They are supposed to write down the nutrient profile per 100 g or so.
But if we see nutritional content of pure maida = endosperm (from the link I posted earlier):
79 g carbs
7 g proteins
0 g fat
4 g fibre

Whole wheat (after doing some proportionality calculations):
76g carbs
9 g proteins
1 g fat
10 g fibre

I might be wrong with the figures but Maida and Atta will never have a wide difference in their nutrient profile! (Because maida, which is endosperm of wheat, comprises about 85% of the whole wheat flour)

On a greater picture, these things hardly matter.
Let me show you a case here:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08...iet.professor/

The guy improved his health markers (like Cholestrol levels and bodyfat) by eating nothing but junk food.

'Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent.Haub's body fat dropped from 33.4 to 24.9 percent'

The key thing to note is that he reduced his body fat levels, and thus every blood test reading (like cholestrol/triglycerides, and I am presuming even BP) in his body started becoming "healthy". Perhaps this is the reason why females instinctively admire the 6-packs. It is a sign of good health.

Last edited by alpha1 : 21st August 2014 at 14:56.
Old 25th August 2014, 23:05   #3696
BHPian

Hello everyone,

After doing quite a lot of research online, i finally got myself a Power Rack.

I was initially contemplating buying one off the shelf, either online or through a brick and mortar store.

But either the ones on offer were not good enough, or the ones that were good were too costly.

So, decided to get one made. Got the raw materials, found a fabricator who could understand what i wanted and some 10 days later i got myself a Power Rack.

In case any one's interested, please let me know.

Will post details and pics.

Cheers.
Old 28th August 2014, 16:17   #3697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
So, decided to get one made. Got the raw materials, found a fabricator who could understand what i wanted and some 10 days later i got myself a Power Rack.

In case any one's interested, please let me know.

Will post details and pics.

Cheers.
Pl do post a pic, maybe how you got it made and its weight bearing capacity. Thanks.
Old 29th August 2014, 11:29   #3698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
Pl do post a pic, maybe how you got it made and its weight bearing capacity. Thanks.
Till nvldvr responds, let me respond by posting what I have come across in a superb book which should be a must read for anyone remotely interested in the iron game.
Attached Thumbnails
Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-power-rack.png  

Old 29th August 2014, 19:29   #3699
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Till nvldvr responds, let me respond by posting what I have come across in a superb book which should be a must read for anyone remotely interested in the iron game.

Well to start off, please find attached a few pics of the finished product.

I basically used square steel tubes (dimensions 4"X2", thickness 14 gauge) for the main body of the power rack.

For the safety bars, i used solid steel round bars of 1" dia.

Used these particular dimensions after going through various forums online.

Since i have no way of actually testing the full load bearing capacity or the breaking load of the structure / safety bars, i can't quote a figure.

But let me tell you this, this structure is very very sturdy and more than capable of handling the kind of loads that we will be using.

Infact, for anyone planning to get a power rack made for himself, i would recommend steel tubes of 2X2 size and 14 gauge thickness. Will more than suffice for the job, without compromising the safety.

For the cost part, raw material cost me around 7 grands.

The fabricator charged me 6 K for labour, including powder coating of the entire structure (Powder coating is a better substitute for painting).

Will post details of dimensions also if anyone needs to go into those details.

Hope this helped.
Attached Thumbnails
Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-img_20140625_080338280.jpg  

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-img_20140625_080311630.jpg  

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-img_20140625_080351117.jpg  

Old 29th August 2014, 19:33   #3700
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Piyadassi,

My T BHP info says i stay at Mumbai.

However, i have now relocated to Delhi. So if you want, i can even give you the reference of the guy whom i got the Power Rack made from.

In case you are really interested, you can may be even come over to my place to have a look at the thing.

Let me know.

Cheers.
Old 30th August 2014, 12:33   #3701
BHPian

Quote:
I have come across in a superb book which should be a must read for anyone remotely interested in the iron game.
Alpha1 Ji, The book name please.
Old 30th August 2014, 12:40   #3702
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. The name of the book please.

Quote:
Well to start off, please find attached a few pics of the finished product.

I basically used square steel tubes (dimensions 4"X2", thickness 14 gauge) for the main body of the power rack.
Thanks.

Quote:
My T BHP info says i stay at Mumbai.

However, i have now relocated to Delhi. So if you want, i can even give you the reference of the guy whom i got the Power Rack made from.

In case you are really interested, you can may be even come over to my place to have a look at the thing.
Thanks a lot. Will surely look forward to interacting with you. But be warned you will be meeting an old man.
Old 30th August 2014, 14:46   #3703
Senior - BHPian

Starting gym again on 1st September after a gap of 1.5 years. Excitement level is too high.
First goal is to shed off all the extra weight I have gained. My birthday is on 24th so I am thinking of doing a 3 week schedule with primary goal of losing as much weight and fat as I can. Any suggestions for diet and what kinda schedule I should make? I am a pure Vegetarian. Will start taking whey protein after a couple of months.

Will be doing 6 days workout per week.
Thanks.
Old 30th August 2014, 15:08   #3704
BHPian

My 2 cents on this:

1) Its best to avoid supplements. No matter what the instructors at gym say. They stock these products in the gym and somehow have to sell them.

2) A brisk walk outdoors is the best way to exercise. Period.

3) While gyming, its important what do you want, or how do you want your body to look? Do you want bulk or do you want a fitter leaner body.

4) If you need bulk, you need to eat food rich in proteins, eg soyabeans, egg whites, meat. You need to concentrate on slowly increasing the weights you do.

5) If you want a fitter and leaner frame, start eating more greens, and balance it with proteins. I drink a lot of juices, lassi. Black tea with lime and honey is excellent.

6) If you want to lose weight, the best is maintaining a strict diet, a good walk and lots of green tea. Thats it.

7) Dieting does not mean that you starve. Restrict rice, sweets, butter, chocolates, fried food. Consume more salad, curds, greens and juice.

8) Another things while gyming plan your exercises. Its best you do arms, and shoulder once a week. Then chest after a days gap, then legs after another days gap. Your body needs a days gap after exercising, always keep that in mind. On the rest day, do the treadmill, or just check out the babes in the gym.

Last edited by ortho_surgeon : 30th August 2014 at 15:10.
Old 31st August 2014, 15:47   #3705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho_surgeon View Post
On the rest day, do the treadmill, or just check out the babes in the gym.
Best advice ever!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks