Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2014, 13:09   #3751
BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
It's not pain more like constipation etc.
How do you 'experience' constipation while working out?

The exercises you mentioned do put pressure on the bowels, and if you are constipated, it could be uncomfortable. Try keeping your bowels clear before work-outs.

Easy ways:
- Up the fibre and water intake
- Use 'Isabgol'. Cheap and best!
Old 19th November 2014, 13:16   #3752
Senior - BHPian

sumeethaldankar
Quite possibly you are not doing the valsalva maneuver properly causing some abdominal stress to travel down the bowels and creating issues.

Next time when you do deadlifts or squats try to notice and place where your internal stress resides. Is the stress similar to trying to poop (wrong way) or is it similar to blowing against a hot water bottle (right way). In fact why don't you try to blow apart a hot water bottle just to get what I mean.

On the other hand unless one is preparing for powerlifting I would not recommend anyone to do any deadlifts & squats for less than 8-10 reps. These exercises cause immense systemic fatigue, especially neural, and one burns out quite fast at high loads done regularly. Other exercises don't cause such systemic fatigue and thus can be done comfortably for lower reps quite regularly.

Last edited by alpha1 : 19th November 2014 at 13:18.
Old 25th November 2014, 12:56   #3753
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Visiting this thread after a long time. Need some help.
My waist size has started increasing marginally since the past few months. I have been working out only on Saturdays since past couple of months as work has kept me busy.
My main query is, would it be ok to workout after dinner? I reach home somewhere around 9pm after a 2hr+ ordeal involving taking a train & then a bus to reach home. By the time i reach home i'm all exhausted to even think of working out. I'm done having dinner by 10pm & then sit on my laptop for regular surfing & sleep by 11:30.
Now my gym is open till midnight & I was wondering if its good for health to workout between 10pm & midnight?
I wonder if i will start feeling hungry again after working out!
I do tend to agree that mornings are the best time to workout but i don't want to compromise on my sleep.
Old 25th November 2014, 13:43   #3754
BHPian

After dinner... no, but you still can workout before dinner. Initially it would be difficult but in a week or so your body will adjust. Just grab something healthy while you are commuting.

But keep one thing in mind. A heavy workout will interfere with your sleep. A minimum gap of around 3 hrs is recommended.
Old 25th November 2014, 15:02   #3755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
I do tend to agree that mornings are the best time to workout but i don't want to compromise on my sleep.
Mornings will be the ideal time for you. Evenings post 10 pm workout will lead you to having late dinner beyond 11 pm and still later sleep (post midnight). Not at all advisable. Try sleeping at 10 pm and then working out in the morning. few days of early waking/working out will automatically make you sleepy by 10pm. Always early to bed-early to rise is best.
Old 25th November 2014, 15:23   #3756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Visiting this thread after a long time. Need some help.
My waist size has started increasing marginally since the past few months. I have been working out only on Saturdays since past couple of months as work has kept me busy.
My main query is, would it be ok to workout after dinner? I reach home somewhere around 9pm after a 2hr+ ordeal involving taking a train & then a bus to reach home. By the time i reach home i'm all exhausted to even think of working out. I'm done having dinner by 10pm & then sit on my laptop for regular surfing & sleep by 11:30.
Now my gym is open till midnight & I was wondering if its good for health to workout between 10pm & midnight?
I wonder if i will start feeling hungry again after working out!
My job involves a lot of unplanned traveling and as such I usually have only one dedicated day per week for training, and another day if possible (which means I did not travel that week). Therefore I can answer based on closer circumstances to your case than perhaps others.

If you are under the impression that your waist size has increased because you are able to do only one workout per week, you might be mistaken.
Check the actual quantity of food and sweet drinks - that might have increased gradually over a period of time.

Also if you feel one day is not enough to do justice, then do another workout on Sunday.

Last edited by alpha1 : 25th November 2014 at 15:24.
Old 25th November 2014, 15:41   #3757
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
Just grab something healthy while you are commuting.
I would rather go hungry than eat street food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Try sleeping at 10 pm and then working out in the morning. few days of early waking/working out will automatically make you sleepy by 10pm. Always early to bed-early to rise is best.
Maybe I should give this a try but i'm wary of feeling sleepy at work from afternoon onwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
If you are under the impression that your waist size has increased because you are able to do only one workout per week, you might be mistaken.Check the actual quantity of food and sweet drinks - that might have increased gradually over a period of time.
You hit the nail on the head! I usually to tend to put on weight during Diwali every year like some(most?) others but then i used to burn it off all these years. This year I haven't.

Quote:
Also if you feel one day is not enough to do justice, then do another workout on Sunday.
Gym closed on Sundays unfortunately.
I guess the conclusion is that working out after dinner is not correct, need to find another time slot.
Old 25th November 2014, 18:41   #3758
BHPian

Quote:
I would rather go hungry than eat street food.
Street food. Hell, no! Carry something with you for the evening. Brown bread with cheese, peanuts, apples... options are galore.
Old 25th November 2014, 19:58   #3759
Senior - BHPian

Did someone read Akshay Kumar's diet and workout mantra. It came out in Delhi Times today (or was it yesterday).

I was mostly ok with the stuff he said until he said that since he doesn't want to eat anything 3-4 hours before he goes to sleep (to ensure that stomach is done digesting by the time he goes to sleep) if he has to go out for dinner or something he prefers protein over carbs. What?!

I thought proteins take almost twice the time to get digested when compared to carbs and also most of the protein digestion happens in the small intestine. Isn't that all the more reason to may be eat fast digesting food instead of something like protein. Experts?
Old 27th November 2014, 12:01   #3760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Did someone read Akshay Kumar's diet and workout mantra. It came out in Delhi Times today (or was it yesterday).

I was mostly ok with the stuff he said until he said that since he doesn't want to eat anything 3-4 hours before he goes to sleep (to ensure that stomach is done digesting by the time he goes to sleep) if he has to go out for dinner or something he prefers protein over carbs. What?!

I thought proteins take almost twice the time to get digested when compared to carbs and also most of the protein digestion happens in the small intestine. Isn't that all the more reason to may be eat fast digesting food instead of something like protein.
You are right. Proteins take longer digestion time. The food has to stay longer at stomach in case proteins are high. Most of the digestion of food happens in small intestines. So in order to have ultra fast digestion - your food should be mainly carbs.

Also, the whole "not eating before sleep to reduce fat" is a myth.
In fact, our intestines digest food the best while we are asleep or perfectly at rest. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postprandial_somnolence

Akshay's Kumar's physique is the result of his genetics, not his timed eating habits.
*sigh* something that general public will never get ever. (And people with vested interest will never allow public to know this)

On the other hand, the reason why Akshay Kumar is still not muscular enough compared to other "heroes" is simple. Chemicals,which he hasn't used yet.
Old 28th November 2014, 13:50   #3761
BHPian

Quote:
You are right. Proteins take longer digestion time. The food has to stay longer at stomach in case proteins are high. Most of the digestion of food happens in small intestines. So in order to have ultra fast digestion - your food should be mainly carbs.

Also, the whole "not eating before sleep to reduce fat" is a myth.
In fact, our intestines digest food the best while we are asleep or perfectly at rest. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postprandial_somnolence

Akshay's Kumar's physique is the result of his genetics, not his timed eating habits.
*sigh* something that general public will never get ever. (And people with vested interest will never allow public to know this)

On the other hand, the reason why Akshay Kumar is still not muscular enough compared to other "heroes" is simple. Chemicals,which he hasn't used yet.
Hah! True, general public is only given doses of myth.
I once read/heard him on an interview saying he relies only on natural sources of food and protein. And doesn't believe in even supplements.

What irony when I found his driver picking up boxes of Myoplex for Akki baba, alongside mine from Irla.

Almost everyone including the likes of Shreyas Talpade and Ritesh Deshmukh have had their tryst with 'chemicals' in this industry. A listers are only worried about the source, otherwise it's also part genetics that guys like Sonu Sood can inject almost anything and still show up.
Old 28th November 2014, 14:53   #3762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
A listers are only worried about the source, otherwise it's also part genetics that guys like Sonu Sood can inject almost anything and still show up.
I think Sonu Sood is definitely on tons of Tren (perhaps equal to competitive bodybuilders).

In fact among all I think Sunny Deol's physique looked real. Muscular but also fat in natural distribution.
Akshay Kumar. Lean and therefore not muscular.
Of course both must've dabbled with it, but don't show signs of sustained usage.

Rest of the gang - Hritick, Aamir, Salman, DevGun, models, - all show tell tale signs of steroids - unnatural development of traps and lateral deltoids, compared to the rest of the muscles and the vascularity which can only come when your muscles are hydrated to hilt (steroids) but skin is devoid (diuretics).

Last edited by alpha1 : 28th November 2014 at 14:58.
Old 28th November 2014, 15:40   #3763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
What irony when I found his driver picking up boxes of Myoplex for Akki baba, alongside mine from Irla.
In his Delhi Times interview he had said that he keeps protein supplements for emergencies, or something similar.

Quote:
Rest of the gang - Hritick, Aamir, Salman, DevGun, models, - all show tell tale signs of steroids - unnatural development of traps and lateral deltoids, compared to the rest of the muscles and the vascularity which can only come when your muscles are hydrated to hilt (steroids) but skin is devoid (diuretics).
Not exactly shocking but saddening. What about wrestlers like Sushil Kumar, Yogeshwar Dutt etc?
Old 28th November 2014, 16:22   #3764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In his Delhi Times interview he had said that he keeps protein supplements for emergencies, or something similar.
He did say that, exactly that. This was the second surprising bit about the interview. I mean someone who was strongly despising use of supplements all throughout the interview had very subtly put that he uses them too but only in emergencies

As per him, the protein requirement for his body was 80 gms because he weighs 80 kgs. While there might not be any conclusive study as to what gram of protein is actually needed he defied the general norm of 2 gm protein for every kg of body weight.

Ask any regular gym-goer and he'd be shocked to hear if there's a guy who relies on just 1 gm of protein per kg of his body weight, because that's the info we've been fed so far.
Quote:
Not exactly shocking but saddening. What about wrestlers like Sushil Kumar, Yogeshwar Dutt etc?
I think one can never be sure if you don't know someone personally, though they may keep this hidden even if you knew them. However, wrestlers might not be binging on protein supplements considering that they need to watch their weight very carefully to remain under the category that they usually wrestle in.
Old 28th November 2014, 16:26   #3765
Team-BHP Support

Wrestlers also have to undergo frequent drug tests, so they can't really abuse steroids like the bollywood stars.

Most Viewed