Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2014, 14:08   #3811
BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
The simplest action for the human body to do is sit down and get back up.

The pushup is not simple, not for the CNS, not for even the ignorant.

Nobody said you will become a wrestler, but understand mechanics, there are reasons why complexes are advised for overall body balance, strength and even well being.

The simple motion of sitting down, if you dont want to refer to it as a squat; ensures your major joints like hip, knee, ankle are well mobile and if you see villagers or even the most rural people never have a belly because they sit on the ground all the time. This one simple motion will decide whether you will have a fit flat tummy the rest of your life or will you struggle to get one.

Getting to the Pull Up, find any place to hang from and pull yourself up, it is that simple. Start with just pulling yourself up and holding that position for a few counts, then lower yourself under control. You will be surprised how strong this alone makes you and your arms + back + core.

They will serve you better for overall development IMO, than Push Ups alone. Proportionate as you want.

All the best.
Thanks for the advice mate.
What's easy for one might be difficult for other. It all depends on the perspective.
I was a regular at gym for a couple of years. That was 4 years ago.
Pull ups, yes, I can do atleast 10 at one go as of now, pushups, yes 25 per set, 3 set's a day is what I've reach from the past 2 weeks.
Yes I do squats too, but not as mush as push ups.

Anyways, the main reason I posted here was to make myself fit by the meathod of calesthenics only.
I just want to know the calesthenics exercises and the right meathod to do it.
Came to know of this term recently and want to continue exercising according to it.
At max, I may take up swimming as its an exercise for the entire body.
Old 20th December 2014, 13:05   #3812
Senior - BHPian

I dont know if anyone here has heard of Spartacus work out. I adopted this style of working since few months and am noticing AMAZING results. Look it up on you tube for variety or here is a quick link for the aspirants

I mixup Spartacus and Concentration workout using weights. I can see extremely good results in my over all functional strength, lean muscle gains, body balance, posture and fat loss. Yes, I have good strength, stamina and my 6 packs are visible. I HIGHLY recommend this to everyone and am willing to guide free of cost :P.

I alternate between Spartacus and Weight training coz spartacus alone will not help gain muscle mass, it will only lean you up and then begin to shred you. If you want to build muscle mass and still stay shredded workout 5 days a week, alternate between Spartacus and isolation with heavy weights and low reps and last but not the least eat clean- drop oil intake, avoid al forms of man made sugar products including fruit juices with added sugar, avoid alcohol and cigs, eat ghee- YES you should eat at least 4 -5 spoons each day of home made or good brand ghee and see your strength gains, increase complex and slow digesting carbs (brown rice, potatoes, oats, broken wheat) and consume a minimum of 0.8gms and max of 1.25gms of protein per pound of body weight with 4liters of fresh water every day. 6-10gms of creatine monohydrate and about 10-15gms of L-Glutamine per day is highly recommended to improve strength, for quicker post workout recovery and over all well being. Also add 2 capsules of fish oil to your breakfast and if you workout heavily a double dose (otherwise a single dose) of good multivitamin like 'MB Vite' from Muscleblaze will really help keep your joints and over all health in bullet proof order.

At the end of the day, its 60% food habits and 40% excercise and sleep (7.5-8.5 hrs per day between 9pm-7am) that helps you build the body that you desire...so stay put on it.

Let me know if you guys have any questions on workout or diet for me...would be glad to assist with zero percent bro-science

Note:
*Avoid protein shakes with added sugar or more than 15% carbohydrates per gram of the product unless you are skinny and are looking to put on some bulk quickly.
*Try whey isolate supplements, I use Muscleblaze Protein PRO at the moment and it is an excellent indian product.
*Consume one scoop (36gms) at breakfast, one scoop 30min-1hr before evening workout and one scoop before bed.
Always have your creatine monohydrate and glutamine during or post workout with some fruit juice which does not have added sugar.
*Break your food intake into 4-5 sessions each day. (Ideally 8am, 12.30pm, 4pm, 8.30pm)
*Always perform full body stretching exercises after 10mins of brisk walking before Spartacus or lifting Weights.
* If you have any health condition, consult a doctor before doing anything serious.
* Avoid adventurism, stick to simple workouts, start off slow and steady... and expect linear gains. You cannot become Kai Greene over night :P

Last edited by The Wolf : 20th December 2014 at 13:30.
Old 24th December 2014, 17:56   #3813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
I dont know if anyone here has heard of Spartacus work out. I adopted this style of working since few months and am noticing AMAZING results.
Looks to be an implementation of High intensity Interval training with 'functional strength movements' somewhat like '300 workout'.

Quote:
6-10gms of creatine monohydrate and about 10-15gms of L-Glutamine per day is highly recommended to improve strength, for quicker post workout recovery and over all well being. Also add 2 capsules of fish oil to your breakfast and if you workout heavily a double dose (otherwise a single dose) of good multivitamin like 'MB Vite' from Muscleblaze will really help keep your joints and over all health in bullet proof order.
My god, you take care of all of that daily? Hat's off to you!

Quote:
At the end of the day, its 60% food habits and 40% excercise and sleep (7.5-8.5 hrs per day between 9pm-7am) that helps you build the body that you desire...so stay put on it.
I would make it 80% Genetics, 10% food, 5% exercise and 5% rest/recovery. You simply cannot fight those genes.

Last edited by alpha1 : 24th December 2014 at 17:58.
Old 25th December 2014, 22:56   #3814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Looks to be an implementation of High intensity Interval training with 'functional strength movements' somewhat like '300 workout'.

My god, you take care of all of that daily? Hat's off to you!

I would make it 80% Genetics, 10% food, 5% exercise and 5% rest/recovery. You simply cannot fight those genes.
Thanks...I used to workout frequently during my late college days then it was on and off however I have restarted about 6 mnths back seriously. I hit the gym 4 days a week without fail and am focussing on functional strength, stamina, balance and flexibility at the moment. Not focussing on mass that much!

Reg the genetics you stated, that comes into the pic only if one is a professional bodybuilder, great genetics means fast muscle growth rate and better symmetry, which doesn't make a difference to most others like me

Last edited by The Wolf : 25th December 2014 at 22:58.
Old 25th December 2014, 23:39   #3815
Senior - BHPian

First up - congratulations on clearly achieving a fitness level that most of us would just dream about!

Request: How about a few before / after snaps? I'm sure many of us would be curious.

Lastly, a Question:
Have you tried separating your workouts from your supplements? What would the results be, sans the Gluatmine and the creatine and the what not?

Quote:
I dont know if anyone here has heard of Spartacus work out. I adopted this style of working since few months and am noticing AMAZING results.
Old 26th December 2014, 12:52   #3816
BHPian

Quote:
Let me know if you guys have any questions on workout or diet for me...would be glad to assist with zero percent bro-science
Great achievements. I, somehow, am never able to let go that last 1 inch of belly fat off. But still am trying. May be some day.

Just as phamilyman says a pic is a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Even if it is 80% genetics the scope of improvement is immense and except for professionals, I wonder if anyone will be able to get close to it.
Old 27th December 2014, 16:06   #3817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
First up - congratulations on clearly achieving a fitness level that most of us would just dream about!

Request: How about a few before / after snaps? I'm sure many of us would be curious.

Lastly, a Question:
Have you tried separating your workouts from your supplements? What would the results be, sans the Gluatmine and the creatine and the what not?
Unfortunately I dont have any good pics of "before" to compare but my clothes, strength and energy levels, presence of mind tell a tale that will convince most. Damn I haven't had a cold symptom in a year now, I have several allergies otherwise but in total control at the moment...

Before supplements the improvements were slow, that used to demotivate me and I would bunk gym but once I got my diet and supplements in place and began to see improvements I saw myself getting more enthusiastic about working out more often till I hit 4 days a week consistently. Today, even if my back is a bit sore (I have some back issues due to old injuries) or if I have hurt myself I still dont miss my gym...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
Great achievements. I, somehow, am never able to let go that last 1 inch of belly fat off. But still am trying. May be some day.

Even if it is 80% genetics the scope of improvement is immense and except for professionals, I wonder if anyone will be able to get close to it.
That last bit of belly fat is the toughest, I still have some on me. It requires ab workout (stimulating the rectal sheath), high calorie burning routine (aerobic or anaerobic) to keep your body under caloric deficit for some time through proper diet control and complete avoidance of deep fried food, sugar, high sugar fruits, maida and alcohol. One more very important thing to remember after all the above is taken care of would be to remind yourself that you cannot sit in one place for more than 45mins at a time so you need to get off of your chair every 45mins and make a quick visit to that water dispenser to down a glass or two. This way you will also ensure your 3-4lts of water a day easily as well.

Note: Sedentary lifestyle is one of the biggest killers, our earliest ancestors didn't have the luxury of having one, and now that we do its totally messing us up.

Last edited by The Wolf : 27th December 2014 at 16:10.
Old 27th December 2014, 23:02   #3818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

Lastly, a Question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post

Quote:
Unfortunately I dont have any good pics of "before" to compare but my clothes, strength and energy levels, presence of mind tell a tale that will convince most. Damn I haven't had a cold symptom in a year now, I have several allergies otherwise but in total control at the moment...
There are times I feel, only for this thread; people should also post their pics.
Both recent ones and from their peaking periods.

Puts a lot in perspective.

Remember asking a few members doling out help and info earlier as well, but not many oblige.

At least for motivation of others, might help and also go some distance in justifying the statements.

I have had one thumb rule- always look at what the guys bigger and better than me are doing, and I have always sought advice from them. It has helped me to an extent.

But, sometimes you see a guy ripped and huge at the same time- saying his physique is because of Glutamine!

Seriously?!

The first thing I learnt to pick up from people was training frequency vs intensity.
Volume vs Intensity if I may say.

The weight ranges, rep ranges, warm-up vs working sets, drops, tris, supersets - everything. Their cardio frequency, before weights, after weights, away from weights. The type of cardio they did, how often and how long.

I have also been looking a lot at people's diets, nutrition and asking/sharing notes. Interestingly, off late I have also been asking a lot about injuries. Have had a fair share; all outside of gym so far; but sure have affected my workouts a lot.

I have injured my ankle, knee, hip, mid back, shoulder, neck, elbow, wrist, well that's about all the joints covered, and recovered painfully. LOL

But I have trained through all. All except last year's injury, this was a nerve injury and I lost my entire right triceps, pectorals and lats to this injury.

The diagnosis was Brachial Neuritis, and it is frustrating when suddenly your right arm ceases to have any strength.

Those on this thread who have trained with me know the angst, first hand.

But imagine, the left hand being able to Shoulder Press 100 lbs with a dumbbell and the left unable to push a 10 lbs dumbbell. Now apply the same math to doing a pull-up or row.

This happened last July 2013, and had to take a break from lifting, was doing cardio and swimming plus core.

Resumed this August, when my triceps started firing a bit.

Have been on a 3-4 day workout regimen. Focusing on core training, and compounds.

Day 1: Squat, Bench Press, Barbell Row
Day 2: Road Running
Day 3: Squat, Overhead Press, Deadlift

This I have repeated week on week, with some assistance work thrown in.

On 22nd August I was only able to Squat 75 lbs (including 45 lbs bar) for 12 reps, that's just a shameful 15 lbs each side.

On 20th December I squatted a total 315 lbs (including 45 lbs bar) for 4 reps, That's 3 x 45 lbs plates each side.

Still not my max of 4 x 45 lbs from 2011, but I am closer.

I deadlifted the same weight; 315 lbs for 3 reps, since my right arm and lats + chest is still weak and could still take months to recover.

I have interestingly kept compound exercises but the rep ranges are min 4 on heavy days and min 6 on light days. I vary the weights basis how I feel in the morning.

I finally ran 8kms in an hour a week back too, so the regular cardio also helped.

So what's worked is mostly the consistency and compounds, to recover form and function.

I listen to my body far more than I used to and have started regular soft tissue work and also Physio + Theraband work for my injured side. Plus the atrophy in Lats caused a lot of issues with my scapula + rotator cuff, and it was the most painful episode.

For my inputs about supplementation, I started a preworkout this month and it is nothing great, but helps for focus.

The best I recommend and is my staple is a Whey Protein shake and Aminos, preferably intraworkout. Vitamin C and D3 are staple too.

I have posted pics on this forum earlier as well (Link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2258400 ), and here goes the current situation.

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-img_20141025_103135.jpg

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-img_20141025_103143.jpg

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-img_20141116_111104.jpg

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-img_20141116_111208.jpg

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-img_20141225_102007.jpg

Basically taking it slow, but consistent. Now that I have recovered a bit of strength, I will push for a cleaner diet and probably increase cardio across the week, up the protein intake and will add a few isolation work to pull up lagging parts.

Keep lifting is the mantra, and it always helps, more or less.
Old 29th December 2014, 14:09   #3819
Senior - BHPian

@ Mandheers : Man, for the stuff your body has gone through I think your current conditioning is spectacular. You body type seems to be of one that doesnt hold a lot of fat around the mid section. You look fit and muscular. Appreciations to you!

Reg the pics, makes sense, lets put up our current conditioning, may be we will be able to refer to these posts several months or years ahead. Will click some pics and put up shortly.
Old 29th December 2014, 19:56   #3820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
There are times I feel, only for this thread; people should also post their pics.
Both recent ones and from their peaking periods.

Puts a lot in perspective.
Quote:
Reg the pics, makes sense, lets put up our current conditioning, may be we will be able to refer to these posts several months or years ahead. Will click some pics and put up shortly.
Congratulation and thanks for starting this.

Though my figures, both in terms of inches (biceps 14”) and pounds (deadlift 205 pounds, excluding bar which is a regular one, not the Olympic Bar) won’t be close to what you people might be having here but my progress has been no less than spectacular.

When I had started after my college I was barely skin over bones and at 49 kgs (5.6 height) grossly underweight. Even though I went to a military school where regular walk/jog was close to 8 kms excluding what we did during PT, parade and games. Thanks to my distaste for food.

So when my friends bought home a bar bell, some free weights and a wooden bench fabricated by the neighbourhood carpenter, I started training at once. It was on and off affair as I used go get easily discouraged lifting meager weights (just 5 (2.5x2) pounds for triceps bar bell extension). But I would always come back and around 3 years built a physique that looked alright.

Work, marriage and kids took its toll, though I had kept the bench (it was the iron one), the bar bell and some weights I did not exercise. In 2007 I broke both the bones of my left forearm in a motorcycle accident. Some months later when we had gone to buy some clothes for me, the girl selling me cargo suggested that size 34 would fit me well. That turned to the turning point. I was close to 40 then, weighed 68 kgs and put on quite some flab all over my body.

I started training. In about 1 and ½ years I weighed 61 kgs and had a waist size of little over 29”. I was underweight and as my wife said that looked like a shrunken mango. It was start of another uphill struggle.

2013. I had had enough of it. I started eating a lot, weight shot up and the waist too. It was 34.5 at 69 kgs. Rest of the year was spent cutting it down and I got back to 65 kgs at 30 waist.

2014. Apart from diet I also realized I needed to change the way I trained. I discovered low rep heavy weight training (earlier I used to follow Pyramid method which we had read in Arnold’s book way back in early 1990s and which had given me results) and followed Max OT programme. The improvement was huge. Weights went up, body weight reached 69.5 and waist was 32.

But low fibre in diet created some complications and as a result could not continue with the tempo. Right now due to my daughter’s school holidays I am taking it easy after about3 months of heavy lifting. At present am at 68 kgs with a waist that is 30.5.

From 15th Jan onwards I will be on Max OT Programme (basically 4-6 rep scheme) with 2 days of cardio per week (I follow Mi Coach tennis programme which is basically 20 min programme). Diet would be around 2500 cal (~130 gms of protein) with 2 days of medium carb diet. Usually I don’t prefer supplements but a little whey would do no harm.

Sorry for the long post though I tried restricting myself a lot.

My pic clicked during the summers (Age - little over 40; weight – 69’ waist 32). Sorry for the tee. 2015 I hope to see much improvement and may be give me the confidence to post a shirtless pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-facebook.jpg  

Old 10th January 2015, 15:26   #3821
Team-BHP Support

Somebody I know underwent a major transformation, you can read the story here.

Must have required enormous amount of discipline and effort.
Old 12th January 2015, 14:02   #3822
Senior - BHPian

Functional strength was discussed in the last few pages, is this guy the epitome of functional strength?

I don't care whether he's training all natural or not but he needs to get his DNA tested in lab for how he's able to do what all he's doing. I've never seen any guy like him, ever!
Old 12th January 2015, 15:56   #3823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Functional strength was discussed in the last few pages, is this guy the epitome of functional strength?

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=sOMl5sGl4FQ

I don't care whether he's training all natural or not but he needs to get his DNA tested in lab for how he's able to do what all he's doing. I've never seen any guy like him, ever!
One word. AMAZING. It looks like he is indeed doing everything naturally and if he is then hats off!
Old 12th January 2015, 20:19   #3824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=sOMl5sGl4FQ

Amazing. But how could a man who could do all this just 3 months ago look like this? OR ALTERNATELY. How could a man who was like this could do all this in just 9 months? To me it is not a transformation but just a dieting (?) trick. Nonetheless it is amazing. Hats off to him.

Last edited by Piyadassi : 12th January 2015 at 20:20.
Old 14th January 2015, 23:16   #3825
BHPian

Not too sure about this guy in the video. He claims to have not used any steroids and/or supplements that is dubious.

As far as functional movements are concerned, CrossFit is the way to go. It is a shame that the concept has still not caught up in India (I haven't come across any "authentic" boxes in the NCR area).

Lookup Rich Froning (the CrossFit Games champion) and you will see the how/what the world's most fit guy looks like. He is a master of functional movements.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks