Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2015, 16:46   #3871
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
Hi team, i was going to the gym regularly and making good progress but unfortunately now am lying in bed nursing a hairline fracture in my left foot. Will be immobile for atleast a month but dont wanna gain weight or lose my progress. Have already altered my diet drastically. Please suggest some upper body exercises which i can do at home to remain fit.
Unless you want to compete somewhere, I would take this time off as a vacation and do other things in life. There is a huge amount of life beyond the weights at the gym.

But since you will feel that the above paragraph is lucture-baazi by someone who has never been Mr India and therefore doesn't know what it feels like: you have several variations of push ups, pull ups, parallel or \/ bar dips, parallel bar pulls (something like pushups but the other way round)
Old 28th April 2015, 16:54   #3872
BHPian

@faithless_1984: pull-ups, dips, L-sits, push-ups, incline/horizontal rows -- get an approval from your doc/physio before your proceed.
Old 28th April 2015, 17:04   #3873
BHPian

@faithless_1984, If its a fracture in the foot I think even doing push-ups would put some amount of pressure there which won't be advisable.

However you have said that you are 'immobile' for atleast a month then where do you plan to workout your upper body? Have a pull-up bar and some dumbbells at home?

-Bhargav
Old 28th April 2015, 17:10   #3874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Unless you want to compete somewhere, I would take this time off as a vacation and do other things in life. There is a huge amount of life beyond the weights at the gym.
No sir i have no intention to compete anywhere or to become a model ,its just that i lost a lot of weight in the past 2 years and don't wanna lose that progress.

Quote:
you have several variations of push ups, pull ups, parallel or \/ bar dips, parallel bar pulls (something like pushups but the other way round)
Quote:
pull-ups, dips,L-sits, push-ups, incline/horizontal rows
Don't have the equipment required for all this at home. :(

Quote:
Have a pull-up bar and some dumbbells at home?
Have a set of dumbbells but i guess they wont be of much help.

It seems like i`ll have to manage with the diet only. Man this sucks.

Last edited by faithless_1984 : 28th April 2015 at 17:13.
Old 28th April 2015, 17:26   #3875
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi team, i was going to the gym regularly and making good progress but unfortunately now am lying in bed nursing a hairline fracture in my left foot. Will be immobile for atleast a month but dont wanna gain weight or lose my progress. Have already altered my diet drastically. Please suggest some upper body exercises which i can do at home to remain fit.
Pull ups? Provided you can hobble a bit. That will work your abs too if you do leg swinging while hanging.
Old 28th April 2015, 17:49   #3876
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
If its a fracture in the foot I think even doing push-ups would put some amount of pressure there which won't be advisable.
Great point, and similar pressure may be put while jumping to get up the the pullup bar or the dips bar.

Quote:
No sir i have no intention to compete anywhere or to become a model ,its just that i lost a lot of weight in the past 2 years and don't wanna lose that progress.
If you have lost a lot of weight in the last two years, it must have been through diet control. Doing weight or not doing weights should not make much difference.

I would still recommend you to take a break and develop/follow a new hobby.

Last edited by alpha1 : 28th April 2015 at 17:50.
Old 28th April 2015, 17:59   #3877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wish you a speedy recovery.
You dont need any special equipment for dips, if you put your feet on an elevated surface. This will work your triceps.

Quote:
Great point, and similar pressure may be put while jumping to get up the the pullup bar or the dips bar.
Starting the pull ups by standing on a stool will eliminate any jumps.
Old 28th April 2015, 19:13   #3878
BHPian

Quote:
If you have been advised complete bed rest then I don't think you have any option.

If you can walk around and your feet is encased in plaster, and if your doctor permits it, you can go to gym and do almost every weight lifting exercises sitting on a bench.

If you want to control weight since you won't be able to do any cardio no exercise is going to help you at this juncture.

Moreover, though I am not an expert, but I have feeling that doctor would prefer to keep you slightly calorie surplus to speed up recovery.

Wish you speedy recovery.
Old 29th April 2015, 14:53   #3879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Pull ups? Provided you can hobble a bit. That will work your abs too if you do leg swinging while hanging.
Don't have a pull up bar at home.

Quote:

If you have lost a lot of weight in the last two years, it must have been through diet control. Doing weight or not doing weights should not make much difference.

I would still recommend you to take a break and develop/follow a new hobby.
Yes majority was through diet control but i love working out now so wanted to continue in some way but as you mentioned its better if i take a break till i recover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Wish you a speedy recovery.
You dont need any special equipment for dips, if you put your feet on an elevated surface. This will work your triceps.
Thanks, decided not to risk it for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
If you have been advised complete bed rest then I don't think you have any option.

If you can walk around and your feet is encased in plaster, and if your doctor permits it, you can go to gym and do almost every weight lifting exercises sitting on a bench.

If you want to control weight since you won't be able to do any cardio no exercise is going to help you at this juncture.

Moreover, though I am not an expert, but I have feeling that doctor would prefer to keep you slightly calorie surplus to speed up recovery.

Wish you speedy recovery.
Thanks, have given up on the workout thing. Tried to use the dumbbells at home and it was not a good experience. So decided to just focus on the diet and relax.

1 month and counting.
Old 6th May 2015, 15:54   #3880
BHPian

@faithless_1984, Bro, first of all, wishing you a speedy recovery without much weight gain. BTW, care to share the diet plans that you followed for weight reduction? I'm at 98 Kgs now and just started my weight reduction/workout regimen.
Old 6th May 2015, 17:17   #3881
Senior - BHPian

Damn so many people want to loose weight!

I am one of those who actually can't put on weight, no matter what!

Any tips for putting ON weight, (ofcourse without the harmful suppliments/steroids).
Old 6th May 2015, 20:44   #3882
BHPian

@DCEite: I'm sure it must be repeated in some previous posts: calculate your total daily energy expenditure, eat about 500 calories more. Then keep yourself fit with some kind of strength program.
Old 7th May 2015, 11:52   #3883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post

Any tips for putting ON weight, (ofcourse without the harmful suppliments/steroids).
What do you mean by putting on weight?
Of course anyone can put on weight by getting fat.
You just need to drink lot of oils and ghee.

(BTW there is nothing more harmful about steroids than taking antibiotics)

Last edited by alpha1 : 7th May 2015 at 11:53.
Old 7th May 2015, 12:43   #3884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You just need to drink lot of oils and ghee
How lots is lots?

Quote:
(BTW there is nothing more harmful about steroids than taking antibiotics)
How do you say so? Any scientific study, theory etc? Not epidemiological ones, please
Old 7th May 2015, 18:01   #3885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post

Quote:
You just need to drink lot of oils and ghee.
I have a friend who is in similar situation as DCEite.
He eats copious amounts of ghee and oil and oily food and it just doesnt stick to him! He has now started some exercises too, so we are waiting to see whether that has any impact or not.

Most Viewed