Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2015, 20:16   #4111
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Very happy to report that I have finally achieved my target of getting my weight below 200lb! Body fat is at 19%, but measured using weighing machine. I doubt it is accurate but it has consistently shown the number moving in the right direction slowly and steadily.
At 6'3, i think i can live with this number.
Old 12th December 2015, 13:55   #4112
Team-BHP Support

My old sparring partner is visiting from UK. Now he is fully into Parkour. So he wanted us to workout his way. Today morning I did my first Parkour leap under his guidance. I was bit surprised to find that it is so technical, even simple jumps have lots of technique behind it.

Ofcourse, he does it much better ones.

Old 12th December 2015, 17:02   #4113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Very happy to report that I have finally achieved my target of getting my weight below 200lb! Body fat is at 19%, but measured using weighing machine. I doubt it is accurate but it has consistently shown the number moving in the right direction slowly and steadily.
At 6'3, i think i can live with this number.
You can get fat measuring callipers from eBay,they are very accurate and cheap as well. I was overestimating my BF levels.
Old 13th December 2015, 20:51   #4114
Senior - BHPian

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

No more excuses, now I have a squat rack, bench, pull-up bar, barbell AND weights to go with it!

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-img_0109.jpg

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-img_0110.jpg

The advice on getting a longer barbell was right, I got 2 meters 28mm barbell. Squats with this barbell is much better than it would've been with a 1.75 or 1.5 mtr barbell.

Last edited by fine69 : 13th December 2015 at 21:05.
Old 13th December 2015, 22:56   #4115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
No more excuses, now I have a squat rack, bench, pull-up bar, barbell AND weights to go with it!
Any link/pointers on where you picked the weights from?
Are they also from decathlon?
Old 14th December 2015, 00:05   #4116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Any link/pointers on where you picked the weights from?
Are they also from decathlon?

The quality of decathlon weights seemed better by the look but since they were about three times as expensive I decided to pay a visit to Ghulatis in Karol Bagh as suggested by fellow bhpian @Piyadassi.

The 75 yr old Sardarji at the shop is a role model! He's not very fond of Jaats (i am one) as he said they all have a supplemented body these days but doesn't shy away from showing you what he can do even at 75.
Old 14th December 2015, 12:04   #4117
BHPian

Quote:
The 75 yr old Sardarji at the shop is a role model! He's not very fond of Jaats (i am one) as he said they all have a supplemented body these days but doesn't shy away from showing you what he can do even at 75.
Oh! he repeats the same story over and over again. 2-3 more visits and you will start finding ways and means not to hear his stories. But he is a good sales-old-man.
Old 14th December 2015, 15:31   #4118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
he said they all have a supplemented body these days
LOL, it is always either genetics or supplements (including steroids - they ARE supplements).
What's new that he is talking?
Old 14th December 2015, 15:49   #4119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
LOL, it is always either genetics or supplements (including steroids - they ARE supplements).
What's new that he is talking?
Actually he was interested to know what my goals were. I told him that I wasn't after aesthetics as I can't really keep up with the lifestyle (and substances) that one has to adhere to but was only looking for a decent setup that gives me better strength and obviously more mass.

He immediately picked up the huge club that was on his table and started rotating it around his head, you know the usual training routine that wrestlers follow with those big fat clubs (whatever they are called). He asked me to give it a try but that 20kg club would've completely broken my already broken wrist so I told him I'll take a rain check.

Then he said that he challenges a lot of people as most of them only have mass with no strength and went on about it for 5 minutes.

Whatever said and done, it was impressive to see a 75 yr old do what he did. Its people like him that motivate me to not buy that protein powder and just pick up some weights and workout.
Old 14th December 2015, 15:54   #4120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
He immediately picked up the huge club that was on his table and started rotating it around his head, you know the usual training routine that wrestlers follow with those big fat clubs (whatever they are called). He asked me to give it a try but that 20kg club would've completely broken my already broken wrist so I told him I'll take a rain check.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_club

Popularly called as mudgal exercises.

Last edited by bblost : 17th December 2015 at 12:40.
Old 17th December 2015, 11:26   #4121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Then he said that he challenges a lot of people as most of them only have mass with no strength and went on about it for 5 minutes.

Whatever said and done, it was impressive to see a 75 yr old do what he did. Its people like him that motivate me to not buy that protein powder and just pick up some weights and workout.
What was he demonstrating?
That you can be old and stronger than the young?
Of course, the sardarji never had to start studying 10 hours per day in competitive environment right from the start of teenage.

The sardarji never has to sit in front of PC for 12 hours a day to complete his strict performance deadlines.

Besides, I haven't even begun about Sardarji's genetics (in general) compared to say a Nepalese (in general) - which gives him a tremendous advantage in strength and physique.

Of course my post may appear to belittle the old man, but sometimes people need to chill and realize that many of their abilities are "god given" and not developed from scratch. And the environment (which is not under your control) also plays a huge role in development of a person.

###

Psst, you can also actually start playing with the 20 kg club. But the secret is that you will have to gain a lot of fat (=become a tub of lard) to gain strength. Want to tread that path?

Last edited by alpha1 : 17th December 2015 at 11:27.
Old 17th December 2015, 14:49   #4122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Of course my post may appear to belittle the old man, but sometimes people need to chill and realize that many of their abilities are "god given" and not developed from scratch. And the environment (which is not under your control) also plays a huge role in development of a person.
But one can't take away the fact that he followed a certain routine that helped him get where he is. Genetics and environment may give them an advantage but that doesn't mean we don't give them credit where its due.

Genetics might get you half-way or even further but after that's its one's discipline and determination. Sardarji's own son at the shop has the same environment but doesn't look like he can match his father's strength if his life depended on it.

I have an old friend from school who was tall and had an impressive wide built. I got my first set of dumbbells from him and he used to workout sporadically. I saw his pics on facebook and its been about 12-13 years and he's lost most of his hair, has developed a paunch and looks like he's 35 or more when he's only 30.

If he had his way, he could be a supermodel because he had the face, the built and even the money to crack decent opportunities. Instead, he lost interest in working out and genetics didn't really save him from becoming what he has become. I mean the advantage is there but only that is not going to get you all the way up there.

Digressing now, I have a few questions around certain workouts -

1) Even with ample weight now, I'm struggling with a workout that gives my lats a burn. I've tried Bent over one-arm barbell row, Barbell Inverted Rows and even One-arm dumbbell rows. I'm not really feeling much in my lats. I can't do a single pull-up right now so I decided to do inverted rows but can do 3 proper chin-ups if it helps with anything.

2) Squats followed by leg extensions give my quads a great burn but I'm struggling with hamstring as they don't get enough burn. Stiff leg deadlift isn't an option as that irritates the meniscus tear that I have, any other suggestions?

3) Lastly, what is the best form for deadlift. I've seen a lot of videos but somewhere I feel that I might be putting too much pressure on my lower back. Again, the tips vary so I'm not really sure which one to follow. Some say my quads and back should be forming a V when pulling up some are pulling up with the back almost parallel to the floow.
Old 17th December 2015, 14:56   #4123
BHPian

Quote:

3) Lastly, what is the best form for deadlift. I've seen a lot of videos but somewhere I feel that I might be putting too much pressure on my lower back. Again, the tips vary so I'm not really sure which one to follow. Some say my quads and back should be forming a V when pulling up some are pulling up with the back almost parallel to the floow.
Look up videos of professional Olympic style powerlifters to study the safe technique for a deadlift. You may need to do some mobility work first. Canditotraining and Jason Blaha have good videos on powerlifting.
Old 17th December 2015, 17:08   #4124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. But one can't take away the fact that he followed a certain routine that helped him get where he is. Genetics and environment may give them an advantage but that doesn't mean we don't give them credit where its due.

Genetics might get you half-way or even further but after that's its one's discipline and determination. Sardarji's own son at the shop has the same environment but doesn't look like he can match his father's strength if his life depended on it.

2. I have an old friend from school who was tall and had an impressive wide built. I got my first set of dumbbells from him and he used to workout sporadically. I saw his pics on facebook and its been about 12-13 years and he's lost most of his hair, has developed a paunch and looks like he's 35 or more when he's only 30.

If he had his way, he could be a supermodel because he had the face, the built and even the money to crack decent opportunities. Instead, he lost interest in working out and genetics didn't really save him from becoming what he has become. I mean the advantage is there but only that is not going to get you all the way up there.

Digressing now, I have a few questions around certain workouts -

3.1) Even with ample weight now, I'm struggling with a workout that gives my lats a burn. I've tried Bent over one-arm barbell row, Barbell Inverted Rows and even One-arm dumbbell rows. I'm not really feeling much in my lats. I can't do a single pull-up right now so I decided to do inverted rows but can do 3 proper chin-ups if it helps with anything.

3.2) Squats followed by leg extensions give my quads a great burn but I'm struggling with hamstring as they don't get enough burn. Stiff leg deadlift isn't an option as that irritates the meniscus tear that I have, any other suggestions?

3.3) Lastly, what is the best form for deadlift. I've seen a lot of videos but somewhere I feel that I might be putting too much pressure on my lower back. Again, the tips vary so I'm not really sure which one to follow. Some say my quads and back should be forming a V when pulling up some are pulling up with the back almost parallel to the floow.
1. Then it should work for everybody and should produce predictable and repeatable results. Still I am not trying to take anything away from his hard work, but sometimes people forget the humility. The way you said he was talking about Jaats, supplement body, all show no go etc is what got to my nerves.

2. Good example, but what about say another kid from your school who was not tall, not well built, not good looking. You think he would have a chance in modeling even if he would've emulated your friend (I am talking about the time when he was presumably working out, and perhaps pouring coconut oil on scalp to "preserve/thicken" the mane, and smearing dog litter on face to improve his looks). People need to get real about the achievements possible.

3.1 I may be able to help you with this, but before that can you tell me - for EACH major muscle group you would be able to find a compound as well as ISOLATION movement. So what is the isolation movement for Lats?
PS: where do you feel the burn when you do your movements? In other words, what causes you to stop from doing one more repetition? Grip? Forearms? Biceps? Traps?

3.2 So why don't you do a leg curl THEN squat THEN extension?

3.3 Your anthropometric measures determine the lifting planes and angles. (a) A person with short legs but long torso will ALWAYS squat and deadlift keeping the back nearly vertical. (b) Conversly a person with long legs and short upper body will ALWAYS have to squat and deadlift keeping the back nearly horizontal.
One can't say (a) style of lifting is good/right and (b) style is bad/wrong or vice versa (although there are many "instructors" out there that would do exactly that).

If you feel too much of stress on lower back, start doing sumo deadlifts. The one that makes you look like a gorilla lifting a rock from the ground.

Last edited by alpha1 : 17th December 2015 at 17:17.
Old 17th December 2015, 17:59   #4125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Look up videos of professional Olympic style powerlifters to study the safe technique for a deadlift. You may need to do some mobility work first. Canditotraining and Jason Blaha have good videos on powerlifting.
This Candito guy is for real!! Scooby (I think we all know him) mentioned him in his deadlift video and I thought he was mocking him. My bad.

His videos are great but his speedy/jerky movements didn't really impress me that much, form great but not the speed he does stuff with. Maybe it works for him now but that's a dangerous thing for beginners like me.
Quote:
...but sometimes people forget the humility. The way you said he was talking about Jaats, supplement body, all show no go etc is what got to my nerves.
I know what you mean. Did I tell you that I'm a Jaat myself. He didn't know what he was talking about when he stereotyped Jaats which is why I didn't get offended. He meant those guys who have this newly found wealth (Jaat and Gurjars) by selling off their land, driving in Fortuners/Pajeros and eat all sorts of substances etc. I gave him the benefit of doubt because Jaats in reality, from where I am, usually curl guys like me for breakfast.
Quote:
So what is the isolation movement for Lats?
PS: where do you feel the burn when you do your movements? In other words, what causes you to stop from doing one more repetition? Grip? Forearms? Biceps? Traps?
Isolation for Lats? Hmm...I guess some sort of pull-down? I mean pulldown while keeping the hand straight (maybe a bit of shoulder/forearm workout too but probably 90% effort from Lats?)

What stops me from continuing is my back. Back and my arm somewhere, towards triceps I think. But the back area isn't really the lats, feels like somewhere in between the lower back and lats, not sure. I think my whole arm gives up before my back does, will monitor it better next time.
Quote:
3.2 So why don't you do a leg curl THEN squat THEN extension?
I think I'll superset squats with leg curl and supersuperset it with extensions. That should do the trick, thanks!!
Quote:
....If you feel too much of stress on lower back, start doing sumo deadlifts. The one that makes you look like a gorilla lifting a rock from the ground.
Let me give sumo deadlift a try. I'm a little skeptic with deadlift simply because of the probability of developing a back sprain or something even severe. I think I'll start with very light weights and add weight at a very very slow pace. I've hurt almost every major joint, muscle, ligament and cartilage and don't want to hurt my back so extra scared.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks