Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2008, 10:13   #571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This may be a dumb question, but I gotta ask.

Why do you guys take all these supplements?
Can you stop when the purpose is served?
What happens once you stop?

I have never taken any supplements, ever, so when I see all these brand names floating around, I really start wondering.
Knowing your background and your goals, I can understand why you dont see the need for these. The debate could go on forever as to whether its needed or not, whether its healthy or not etc.

The reason they are so popular today is because of those who want to transform the way the look (Get huge,shredded,bulky,ripped,lean,strong etc)... and also want to see the results fast.

Supplements cant do magic though, first you need to learn to eat and develop core strength...

Its like if one has a well maintained car(tuned, good tyres, brakes, run in well)... the addition of the CAI / FFE would give that edge.
Whereas a poorly run in vehicle, with a shuddering engine and faulty tyres cannot really make use of the CAI / FFE.

Also the question remains whether the CAI / FFE can add to the mileage / performance or cause damage to the car

Regarding what happens once you stop it depends on the type of supplement you were using. To a large extent if you relied on supplements and did nothing to "cement" your gains then muscle/fat gained/lost would disappear in due time.

The best person on the forum to explain this in a technically sound manner would be Vikram18
Old 6th May 2008, 10:29   #572
BANNED

Quote:
My Home is facing outer ring road, very close to Kuvembu Circle ...Anything within 4 kms radius is fine with me.
Have you tried Maverick? Inside the M S Ramiah Memorial Hospital complex?
Old 6th May 2008, 13:23   #573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Have you tried Maverick? Inside the M S Ramiah Memorial Hospital complex?
Yes I agree Maverick would stand as No-1 (atleast North Bangalore) without any debate nor doubt, considering the high quality equipments, huge space, cleanliness, personal trainers, flexible timings, decent staff, enough parking, ambience and everything else ! But terribly EXPENSIVE ! Rs.3370/- for a month (on current 5 days special discount !!) I will be fainting when I put my petrol expense up and down for a minimum of 25 days a month, goes above Rs.4600/- per month. I will defenitely get a heart burn when I add my Whey powder cost to it !! Jokes apart, coming to the fact;

Maverick has annual package of Rs.10000+ 12.36% tax as the best option (only for 5 days from today). Sounds good ?? May be one should not think about the money part when it comes to keeping healthy and fit !

Just curious to know, what our dear members here shell out each month just to keep fit ! Atleast I would not feel prick of conscience when deciding about a place now. Hope Bush does not plan to make a statement very soon " Gym equipments and protein supplements are running out of stock internationally because bloody middle class Indians are overusing them "
Old 6th May 2008, 14:45   #574
BANNED

Well, I subscribe to the annual package at Maverick myself at the rates given by you. When in Bangalore, I use their facility at MSR. I think its worth it but only the annual package.

Talwalkars near Cauvery theatre / circle may be a stretch for you.

A premium charged by a gym usually guarantees a decent crowd.
Old 6th May 2008, 15:10   #575
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Aerogym (7am to 8am) with whey drink = 1 hour sincere workout without fatigue, enough energy to wait till the breakfast.

Aerogym (7am to 8am) without whey = 20 minutes sincere workout, no more energy to move, somehow finish the session for the sake of it. Rush home for breakfast because body starts demanding food.
That sounds exactly like NOS to a car engine. Doesn't that hide the fatigue, let you overwork your body? What are the side-effects of this NOS boost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Another positive side of supplements is; 2 or 3 spoons will equal to a good amount of normal food.
That sounds like slimfast commercial. But really, is it that simple?

I think you addressed only the protien shake. What about other stuff, I hear things like cretine, etc.
Old 6th May 2008, 15:12   #576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Talwalkars near Cauvery theatre / circle may be a stretch for you. A premium charged by a gym usually guarantees a decent crowd.
Talkwalkars will be close to 8 kms for me. (Its not the distance but the traffic that will make it worse). My partner from Nagpur used to go there when he stayed with me for a week (with a ref letter from his home gym). Their fee is higher than Maverick too.

Anyway, I will decide this week.
Old 6th May 2008, 15:14   #577
Senior - BHPian

I don't think any thing can replace your normal food intake. Thats the reason they are called supplements.

If a person knows the kind of food to consume based on the needs and has the time to do so doesn't need any of these supplements. Its the easy way out that leads towards these things.

Creatine is found in human body, in muscles I think and provides energy. Consuming the supplements will make you work much harder and attain the results faster.
Old 7th May 2008, 09:58   #578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I don't think any thing can replace your normal food intake.
Your right, nothing can !
Old 7th May 2008, 10:22   #579
Senior - BHPian

I've been off whey protein supplement for almost 2 months but i'm still seeing good results.

I take 1.5 grams of l-carnitine, 1 hr before gym. What this does is increases the body's ability to use stored fat as energy for the muscles. So when you workout in the gym, your muscles feed on the fat more efficiently.

So in a way, this process lets you lose fat while increasing muscle (which is diff to achieve normally).

You can get "CARNITOR 500" tablets at any medical store.

Shan2nu
Old 7th May 2008, 10:43   #580
Senior - BHPian

@shan2nu
Basically more energy is generated using fatty acids as the source. This does not increase the muscles.

Your workout now can get more intense and prolonged because of this energy which in turn is useful for building your muscles.

Most of supplements make you work much harder which helps in your muscle building. That is the reason why you can't bulk up on muscles by just consuming supplements. You need to work out.
Old 7th May 2008, 10:53   #581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Basically more energy is generated using fatty acids as the source. This does not increase the muscles.
I never said carnitine builds muscle size, it only provides energy when you workout and your workout intensity/density causes muscle growth. I take carnitine for it's fat burning benefits.

Shan2nu
Old 7th May 2008, 10:54   #582
Senior - BHPian

I worked out at the chennai Maverick for about 1.5 years.My one year package cost me 9,500 (net) since it was an inaugural offer for one of their new gyms at T.Nagar.
They're ok,i would say. I would place them right in between the premium gyms and the street corner gyms.

My current gym is O2 (o2healthstudio1). They just opened a branch about 2 kms from my home and its far better than the Mavericks. I paid Rs.10,450(net) for the annual package.
Old 7th May 2008, 11:00   #583
Team-BHP Support

Are atheletes allowed to load up on Whey before a competition event? If not, why?

Ok, what are the side effects of using Whey or carnitine? I think I understand the pros.
Old 7th May 2008, 11:04   #584
Team-BHP Support

A guy in our gym too 2 500mg tabs of carnitine(Normal production in meat eaters is around 200mg), and he could not come to gym for 4 days as he had vomiting and loose motions.
But the tablet worked as promised.
He lost weight
Old 7th May 2008, 11:28   #585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Are atheletes allowed to load up on Whey before a competition event? If not, why?

Ok, what are the side effects of using Whey or carnitine? I think I understand the pros.
The biggest drawback is that supplements are not regulated. You don't know what other substances might be present in the supplements.

Researchers are not even sure about the effects of Vitamin supplements. Some of them are supposed to cause premature deaths. Liver, Heart and Kidneys might be affected (there are more organs that can be affected too).

Its difficult to know if you are consuming a overdose of something or taking something that you are lacking in your food.

As I heard somewhere, you don't take medications when you are well. Its the same with supplements.

Most Viewed