Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2008, 10:50   #601
BHPian

can anybody suggest a good gym for cardio workouts around the malleshwaram, basaveseshwarnagar, mahalaxmipuram area in bangalore. right now i go to gold's gym and its a bit far from my area, and also the cardio workout is'nt that great, i have not seen other gyms so do not know whether gold's gym is good enough or not. my present stint with gold's will end in july.
Old 8th May 2008, 11:10   #602
BHPian

The most widely discussed topic on bodybuilding. Thank you everybody for the inputs.
Old 8th May 2008, 11:37   #603
Team-BHP Support

The only supplement I ever took during my workout days was my dinner

Wheat rotis (NO MAIDA) soaked in milk for about 2 hours in the fridge with little or no sugar in it.
A zeera drink my mom makes for helping digestion.

Saturdays: early lunch with a good quantity of either chicken or beef.

Hotel food is the worst thing you can do to your body.
Old 8th May 2008, 13:18   #604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
can anybody suggest a good gym for cardio workouts around the malleshwaram, basaveseshwarnagar, mahalaxmipuram area in bangalore. right now i go to gold's gym and its a bit far from my area, and also the cardio workout is'nt that great, i have not seen other gyms so do not know whether gold's gym is good enough or not. my present stint with gold's will end in july.
Call instructor Hari on 9480045800 for the newly started Aerogym at Malleswaram. You can get the location from him. He is too good. I miss his sessions since he moved from BEL circle to Malleswaram due to partner disputes. It will be defenitely cheaper than Gold's.
Old 8th May 2008, 13:28   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Call instructor Hari on 9480045800 for the newly started Aerogym at Malleswaram. You can get the location from him. He is too good. I miss his sessions since he moved from BEL circle to Malleswaram due to partner disputes. It will be defenitely cheaper than Gold's.
thanks will do that. and check it out.
Old 9th May 2008, 01:51   #606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Even though it helps convert long chain fatty acids into energy,
Shan2nu
Yes. They claim fat is used as an energy source, but that is "in place" of regular energy sources, not "in addition to"

Quote:

The only supplement I ever took during my workout days was my dinner
Interesting! never heard of dinner being called a supplement!

Quote:

Wheat rotis (NO MAIDA) soaked in milk for about 2 hours in the fridge with little or no sugar in it.
Why make somebody go through all that effort in making rotis? you might as well have soaked roasted wheat flour!

Last edited by vikram18 : 9th May 2008 at 01:52.
Old 9th May 2008, 07:49   #607
rippergeo

fatty acids are not very useful during anaerobic workouts. they would help more in endurance events.
I suppose carnitine will help in getting ripped. it doesnt make sense as an extra fuel during weight lifting.

Am I right?

Old 9th May 2008, 09:25   #608
Team-BHP Support

Now a doctor gets into the fray, this should be interesting.
Old 9th May 2008, 12:11   #609
Team-BHP Support

My father(who is a MD, DM) told me that protein suppliments are the shortcut way to bringing gout early.
Add that to regular alcohol drinking and you have a perfect recipe.

I love Rogan josh, but he scared me of excess mutton.
Old 9th May 2008, 12:27   #610
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post

Interesting! never heard of dinner being called a supplement!!

you just did.

Quote:
Why make somebody go through all that effort in making rotis? you might as well have soaked roasted wheat flour!
Yes, but my mom makes the best rotis in the world.
Old 9th May 2008, 12:44   #611
BHPian

i consume one scoop of optimum nutrition whey protein everyday after the gym workout.
when is it best suited to be consumed. before the workout or after. my workout timings are from morning 6.30 to 7.45.
Old 9th May 2008, 14:13   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
i consume one scoop of optimum nutrition whey protein everyday after the gym workout.
when is it best suited to be consumed. before the workout or after. my workout timings are from morning 6.30 to 7.45.
After your workout is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
My father(who is a MD, DM) told me that protein suppliments are the shortcut way to bringing gout early.
And how many professional bodybuilders / athletes do either of you know suffering from gout?

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th May 2008 at 04:27. Reason: Merged. Please use the multi-quote button
Old 9th May 2008, 14:41   #613
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And how many professional bodybuilders / athletes do either of you know suffering from gout?
A few actually. But most of them are those who kept on having high protein suppliments into their 40s.
Ask any Nephrologist and he/she will tell you that sustained excessive protein intake is a recipe for disaster as far as kidneys are concerned too.
There is not magic bullet, no magic pill which will make you burn fat.
I know a guy at our gym who was bedridden for days due to severe diarrhea after having this carinitin thingy.
The max recommended dosage is around 500mg/day. Meat eaters get around 200mg a day.
These guys at our gym take 1-2 gms daily.

But then all depends on priorities. Some people come to gym to be healthy, some come to gym for building bulging muscles. A close aquatiance of ours(currently in his 60s) was a body builder since his younger days, and he developed heart problem in his early 50s.

Remember how you treat your body today will come to bite you when you are 50.
Old 9th May 2008, 15:01   #614
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
No 1.5 grams is a very conservative dose. Im doing this to let my body adjust to them first.

If you're a big guy and do very intense and heavy lifting in the gym, you will prob need 3-3.5 grams a day.

L-carnitine has no side effects.
Quote:
Around 2-2.5 grams would be ideal.
Quote:
I know a guy at our gym who was bedridden for days due to severe diarrhea after having this carinitin thingy.
The max recommended dosage is around 500mg/day. Meat eaters get around 200mg a day.
These guys at our gym take 1-2 gms daily.
Hmm....

Quote:
Ask any Nephrologist and he/she will tell you that sustained excessive protein intake is a recipe for disaster as far as kidneys are concerned too.
There is not magic bullet, no magic pill which will make you burn fat.
But then all depends on priorities. Some people come to gym to be healthy, some come to gym for building bulging muscles. A close aquatiance of ours(currently in his 60s) was a body builder since his younger days, and he developed heart problem in his early 50s.
My long time neighbour who was a serious practicing body builder, had his first heart attack at age 43. This was about 12-13 years back, many of my relatives tried to scare me from working out when that happened. But then I had already quit body building and was into functional exercises. But it really made me think about my long time workout needs.
Old 9th May 2008, 15:16   #615
Team-BHP Support

I am seeing that many people on this forum, and even outside the forum are skeptical about side effects of these suppliments.
Its something like this.
Not all alcohol abusers get liver cirrhoses, not all smokers get lung cancer so not everyone taking these suppliments will get problems.
Its like medicine side effects. Not everyone gets nausea from antibiotics, right.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks