Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2004, 21:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

hi guys
was seeing the brocheures for many protien suppliments, was wondering wheter any tbian is into serious bodybuilding or weight lifting?
i was completely into it, that was my only past time apart from cars and studying
but had to stop for a while due to some reasons, now i am like a bloated baloon! starting back soon
if if any of u guys are, u taking any suppliments? creatine?php?

reply soon

ps:guys even if u go/dont go to the gym , post on this topic, lets guage the overall health of the tbians

Old 4th September 2004, 22:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Well, I am planning to go to the gym in the future, but, right now its just eat and sleep!!
No working out at all.
Old 4th September 2004, 22:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Aadix...
Dont take creatine or php.Whey Protein is more highly advised.But since you said that you have put on some weight,its better you dont take any supplements at all.
Supplements are basically taken to expand ones body with the extra amount of protein and vitamins.
In you case,start walking,running and swimmimg.Once you feel you`ve lost some weight,start with weights.
It makes no sense lifting weights if you have flesh all over you.Wont be all that useful.Lose some weight first.Get on a diet.
I can also tell you some procedures to start with,if you really interested in shedding weight.
Take care buddy....
Cya.
Old 4th September 2004, 23:02   #4
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (X-Machine @ Sep. 04 2004,20:58)]In you case,start walking,running and swimmimg.Once you feel you`ve lost some weight,start with weights.
It makes no sense lifting weights if you have flesh all over you.Wont be all that useful.Lose some weight first.Get on a diet.
Spot on X machine ! Thats what I've been doing for sometime now though I've started with weights now. I'm stronly against supplements. Donot take them at all. The reason for your bloated self is the supplements.
Old 4th September 2004, 23:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

I know it's easier said than done for most of us, but excercise is the best way to loose weight.

Normally when people walk, they walk 10kms at a slow pace. Trust me this wont help you at all.

Our bodies are like cars, they spend most of their energy when work is done at a fast rate, like the car burns max fuel when the revvs are kept high.

Even if you can manage only a km a day, do it as fast as you can, brisk walk is anyday better than jogging. When jogging, you cover a lot of distance but it's like shifthing into 5th gear and cruising, your body isn't using much energy.

So no matter what cardio vascular excersice you do, do it as quickly as possible, but make sure you don't over do it.

How much weight you can lose also depends on your body type, there are three main types of body designs, if i can call it that.

1. Ectomorphs - these are the skinny kind of people who, no matter how much they eat have the ability to burn it all without much excercise. Eg: Basketball players

2. Mesomorphs - these are the medium sized people who have a body thats genetically inclined towards body definition. They can put on weight but can control it very easily. Eg: Gymnasts

2. Endomorphs - these are big guys, the Maybachs among human beings. They can put on a lot of weight in the shortest possible time and will have a hard time getting the fat out of their bodies. Eg: Sumo Wrestlers.

So for guys like you and me, excersice is not the only sollution, we also need to control our diet which unfortunately, we cannot * .

So, see what category you belong to, how many kgs overweight you are and go according to that.......best of luck.

Ok, now where r those weights of mine......... *

Regards...
Shan2nu

Old 4th September 2004, 23:47   #6
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]So see what category you belong to
Hmmmm.......Ok lets see.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Eg: Basketball players
Nopes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Eg: Gymnasts
Nopes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]the Maybachs among human beings Eg: Sumo Wrestlers
Nopes.

Hey Shantanu where do i fit in...........lol.....lol

Anyways coming to the point, my younger bro has just developed this craze for body building. Goes to the Gym, takes supplements. Those supplements really help. He's turned from a Ectomorph to a Mesomorph. And whenever you talk to him abt food, its only in terms of calories. 8 bananas, 6 eggs (only white), + other hjunk food .... all this in one day. My tummy would have burst open

Anyways i'll leave it to him to discuss this here. wait for him to login.
Old 5th September 2004, 00:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

woah hold on guys! looks like all of u read the bodybuilding book written by mr arnold swaggenezegger(esp x machine! tnx a lot bud for offering ur help, u*too into b-building?!?! will pm u if i have doubts abt any routine)

i am not beginning exercising right now,
started proper body building when i was in 10th! dad first bought me weights and bars when i was in 8th!
know pros and cons, the exercises to build mass, to get the proper cuts,etc

and i am trying to loose the fat in my body, not the muscle, i have to look huge like my dad *and *not a sukda guy

guys ideally an whey/soy protien suppliment(i was on ultimate nutrition whey protien , now planning on coach's formula and another brand) *+ weights +cardio
is the fastest way to lose fat and <u>build muscle
</u>

during this process two meals of the day must be replaced with the supplment

plus the fact i am vegan(no milk, no nv, have lactose intolerance) i need protien

the reason i bloated up is due to some rare kind of fever i had gotten abt 8 months back, and was on intense antibiotics and some new wonder drugs
whols side effects are slowly wearing out now!

hey v12 ask ur bro to have alteast two egg yolks, they have the needed enzymes to break down the protien
at my peak i used to bench over 150 kgs (75+75 not including the rod weight)
the reason was asking abt creatine is that i am planning to enter university weight lifting and bodybuilding competion next jan,
so if i start creatine(one cycle:21 days around dec) i might be able to lift twice the weight i can lift now, so thought if any of you guys r into it, can point out if any side effects are there, but most likely wont take creatine or php

i do all this under the supervision of a doctor whose i also my trainer and my dad,
infact i am requried to have an protien suppliment as i am lacotse intolerant ie:allergic to milk products

check out www.teenbodybuilding.com, this used to be my fav site from my school days

my daily routine was to go to the gym in evening(in hols late in the morning around 10 am)
and the workout period was abt 3 hrs, and on free weights, trust me guys those machines wont even help u a bit

it was a 3 day repeat cycle
day one:triceps+chest
day two biceps+shoulders
day three: lats,legs, back

all the days had abt 30 min jogging routine(except the day i did legs, it was onlky 10 mins), combined with alternate day of 20 min swim
the first two years i was fully on normal food, started suppliments after i reached engg

awating ur replies! thx guys
aadix

Old 5th September 2004, 00:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Your trainer might be able to help you with this.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 5th September 2004, 00:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

help out with what? shan2nu,
if u meant abt the creatine i got a full blasting from him , tell me to start back my workout schedule before i think of any advanced nutrional suppliment!

ps:v12 what suppliments is your bro taking?

Old 5th September 2004, 00:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Shan2nu @ Sep. 04 2004,22:10)]So no matter what cardio vascular excersice you do, do it as quickly as possible, but make sure you don't over do it.
right on! just a short intense burst can burn a lot of cals

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]So for guys like you and me, excersice is not the only sollution, we also need to control our diet which unfortunately, we cannot .

lol shan, looks like u and me need to follow the same routine!
btw u a veg guy or a non veg guy?

Old 5th September 2004, 02:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

get a k&amp;n and fit in on ur nose.
Old 5th September 2004, 04:59   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I am extremely particular about my fitness, and watch my food intake and regime religiously. I do weight training, cardio and martial arts on a regular basis.

The only vice is my pack of marlboros. But they are just so damn good!!

GTO
Old 5th September 2004, 09:57   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ Sep. 05 2004,03:29)]martial arts on a regular basis.
cool!!!

before b-building was into it! green belt from okinawa martial arts academy, but dont even remeber anything expcet &quot;sensei-osh&quot;!

so which belt u r in? i am guessing black!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]get a k&amp;n and fit in on ur nose.

lol s-s, wish i could do that! guessing my bhp(in this case hbm:heartbeats per min) would increase by 10% lol!

Old 5th September 2004, 12:44   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ Sep. 05 2004,03:29)]The only vice is my pack of marlboros. But they are just so damn good!!
What about those coloured stuff in glass in between??
Old 5th September 2004, 16:41   #15
Senior - BHPian

okay I'll just advice you to take Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein......and do each body part twice a week and do cardio too, keep decreaseing your calorie intake by 500 cals per week.....till you reach about 1500 cals. And see to it you get 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat. Your diet must be consistent, you should never miss out on any day. Have 6 meals a day, that doesn't mean huge meals, it can be small.

teenbodybuilding.com is a beautiful site, the same as bodybuilding.com and bodybuilders.com. One more good site is fatlosstips.com

I myself am an ectomorph trying to grow. Its much more difficult to gain than to lose [really!]. Just take some medium weight that you can manage 12-15 reps. This will help you burn energy AND help you tone and build muscle. If you want to gain muscle mass, then you need to pick heavy weight that you can manage 8 reps with proper form.

Don't forget that in your diet everyday you must have all vitamins and minerals too and WATER is also a very important factor. Without these you might not find proper results.

About Creatine its good, but personally I feel you cut down on your fat and then take it. And in case you wanna take it be very careful about how much you take. 5gms per day is the best. While starting you'll need to take about 10-15g for a week [this is the loading phase]. And then you'll have to increase your water intake like mad! If you don't you'll get dehydrated. And dehydration is a nightmare for bodybuilding!

Next important issue is OVERTRAINING. Never overtrain yourself. If you can do 10 sets that does not mean you should do it. Three or four sets is more than enough. If you overtrain you will only lose muscle tissue. So just take care. The weight lifting part should take about an hour or so with about 2 min gap between each set.

and yes aadix, I have six egg whites and two egg yolks everyday.

And speaking about bench press, I pick peanuts compared to what you pick....I hardly pick 40kgs total! Seriously! Very weak on the chest.

I've finished about two months since I joined the gym and have found good improvements.

people tell you to reduce and then go for weights, but it'll be better if you start weights right now. Because it'll help you build muscle and muscles burn more fat and energy! So just pick weights AND do your cardio.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks