Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2009, 17:13   #1321
BHPian

May be a repeat question but how effective are fat burners and do they any create any problem in long term on the our system.

Also wanted to know how do they work.

All the help would be appreciated.

Mansi
Old 30th April 2009, 17:21   #1322
Senior - BHPian

@Vikram-
Thanks for the info!
Have you used Lipo 6 yourself?
HAd read some reviews about it and not many people seems to be in favor of it.

@Mansi- Fat burners are just like any other supplement. They work only if taken as directed and with proper diet and workout.
I have not come across any major long term side effects till now.
Old 30th April 2009, 17:29   #1323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by godog View Post
what "seals"/marks of authenticity did you find on the jar.HEY! 1-testosterone is from Amritsar. Any connection?
The seal is nothing but a plastic machine moulded cover which you have to cut and peal out. Same kind of seal on ON cans too. I wish 1-testosterone is a partner of lbnutrition, atleast we could think of the best discounts in the whole country !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Circle View Post
there is a shop at chamarajpet who sells it and it is available now.
Does that shop belong to Chamarajpet Charles ? One who comes on FM ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by manaa45 View Post
do they create any problem in long term on the our system.
Thats a tough question for even the R&D of different brands. There are 100s of products that are recently launched or just within 1 year being in the market. I think we take many things for granted. Worrying about the long term effect of the contents also can cut fat very fast ! Just kidding ! Please dont hunt me down !

Last edited by shajufx : 30th April 2009 at 17:35.
Old 30th April 2009, 17:33   #1324
BHPian

Looking at the discussion here. I am thinking of buying Myofusion but sadly no one over here in chennai seems to be having it in stock :(. Even the ON 100% is being quoted Rs4100 and 4150 by afton and another shop (Number of this shop was given to me when i contacted neulife in mumbai). :(

Any suggestion guys ?
Old 30th April 2009, 17:35   #1325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Circle View Post
Hyrdroxycut hardcore is available online on the website mentioned by shajufx in the previous post, if you dont want to buy online there is a shop at chamarajpet who sells it and it is available now.
I do not want to buy online. Care to give the details of the chamrajpet shop. Is it neulife by any chance. I did ask neulife, they said no stock now.
Old 30th April 2009, 17:39   #1326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
I do not want to buy online. Care to give the details of the chamrajpet shop. Is it neulife by any chance. I did ask neulife, they said no stock now.
Is their any website from where supplements be bought in delhi region?
Also anyone knows the current price of Hydroxicut hardcore?
Old 30th April 2009, 18:07   #1327
BHPian

Quote:
Please share what "seals"/marks of authenticity did you find on the jar. Was there any pharma-grade packaging, like a paper seal below the cap/ holographic prints/special tape over the cap?
The Intrapro that I bought had the standard "sealed for your protection" paper seal below the cap and a plastic seal above the cap.

Quote:
May be a repeat question but how effective are fat burners and do they any create any problem in long term on the our system.

Mansi
Fat burners can be very effective and most aren't supposed to be used long term. They're mainly used to get ripped or to kickstart the fat burning process in overly heavy individuals. Fat burners can have side effects like palpitation, nausea, anxiety, headache, tingling of skin, etc. but these differ from person to person; you could have any, all or none depending on how your body reacts.

Common Ingredients in fat burners and how they work:

1. Caffeine - This works as a stimulant and is a potent thermogenic. It also works as a mild diuretic and in supressing appetite. This will be found in practically every fat burner.

2. Synephrine: This releases adrenaline and noradrenaline in the beta-3 receptor sites (adipose tissue and liver). Stimulation of the beta-3 receptor sites helps in breaking down fat. This can be considered a weaker and slightly less effective version of Ephedra (and is not yet banned)

3. Guggulsterones, Yohimbe, Green tea, white tea, black tea extracts etc. - These work by increasing thermogenic activity by stimulating the thyroid gland or by increasing fatty acid mobilization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
@Vikram-
Thanks for the info!
Have you used Lipo 6 yourself?
HAd read some reviews about it and not many people seems to be in favor of it.
I haven't used fat burners for the simple reason that I'm neither obese nor into competitive bodybuilding I prefer manipulating cardio and diet in order to get lean (in that phase right now), but I've heard of some pretty impressive results from people using Tight Extreme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiyan View Post
Looking at the discussion here. I am thinking of buying Myofusion but sadly no one over here in chennai seems to be having it in stock :(. Even the ON 100% is being quoted Rs4100 and 4150 by afton and another shop (Number of this shop was given to me when i contacted neulife in mumbai). :(

Any suggestion guys ?
Why don't you call up the number I've posted or check out lbnutrition? Either ways you can get stuff shipped to you and a lot cheaper than what's quoted by Neulife!

Last edited by vikram18 : 30th April 2009 at 18:09.
Old 30th April 2009, 23:15   #1328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
I prefer manipulating cardio and diet in order to get lean
I agree on this point - I don't think its right to take fat burners and alter the chemical balance of your body to get lean - It makes sense to workout, have a healthy diet and at the most get some protein/vitamin supplementation. You may not see immediate results, but you will in time. Using caffeine laden pills containing almost banned chemicals to alter your system to lose fat, does not seem right to me!!
Old 1st May 2009, 02:28   #1329
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
I agree on this point - I don't think its right to take fat burners and alter the chemical balance of your body to get lean - It makes sense to workout, have a healthy diet and at the most get some protein/vitamin supplementation. You may not see immediate results, but you will in time. Using caffeine laden pills containing almost banned chemicals to alter your system to lose fat, does not seem right to me!!
That, and the satisfaction you get from doing it without any external help.
Old 1st May 2009, 23:51   #1330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiyan View Post

Any suggestion guys ?
As a last resort, i'm sure one of us tbhpians can ship you one, while you hunt in Chennai. Or atleast call the number given by vikram18. That oughtta serve as a brahm-astraa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
That, and the satisfaction you get from doing it without any external help.
But the flab can prove depressing after a while of sweating in the gym. For seriously obese people who have developed/are developing a healthy dieting attitude/lifestyle, a short stint with these "chemicals" can be beneficial. Not the least psychological.
Old 2nd May 2009, 23:13   #1331
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
a short stint with these "chemicals" can be beneficial. Not the least psychological.
Do not give medical advice unless you are sure. I doubt any doc will advise you of any stint(whether short or long) with chemicals.
Till age 35-40 you will not feel anything but after that problems like fatty lever, gout etc., creep in.
A guy in the gym I go to tried this very safe fat burn medicine. He had to be hospitalized.
But no problem, the medicine worked. He had severe diarrhea, and kept on vomiting for 3 days. His friends say he lost 5kgs in a week. So it indeed will make you lose weight.

Quote:

Mansi
Nobody is a doctor here. People who use such drugs will never say they are harmful.
Its best to get medical advice from a doctor.
Do not treat your body like a car. Taking a laymans advice on your car can atmost cause some financial loss, but taking such advice for your body can cause death and serious damage.
For example most laymen don't know that excess of protein/chicken(even boiled) can cause gout(though this problem is rarer in women),
Where I hail from there are lot of Pehlwans who were big muscled well built young people. Now they are 45 year old heart disease patients with stents in their hearts

Last edited by tsk1979 : 2nd May 2009 at 23:17.
Old 2nd May 2009, 23:55   #1332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Nobody is a doctor here. People who use such drugs will never say they are harmful.
Its best to get medical advice from a doctor.
finally we are speaking some sense here i don't see a point in fat burners and other chemical substances, no matter how psychologically useful or anti-depressing they are !! not worth it, just workout and be natural (with the ocassional protein or multi-vit stints if u feel so)
Old 3rd May 2009, 00:45   #1333
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Unfortunately people want quick results. Sad, you're getting into this for life. You cannot lose 20 kgs in 10 months and then live a life full of butter chicken and malai lassi without working your *** off every week. You then have the negative reviews of supplements where people blame them for weight gain and what-not. It's quite obvious that people don't change unless THEY want to, so we're speaking to a wall anyways.
Old 3rd May 2009, 00:48   #1334
BHPian

No disrespect to anyone but most of the "Docs" I have met don't know a $hit about supplements. In US, isolated fractions of whey protein is being used to cure Cancer and Aids but docs here have no clue. Hell, they don't know about role of various whey protein fractions.

My brother-in-law is an orthopedic surgeon in AIIMS (considered to the top most hospital in India) and performs over 1-4 surgeries per day in Truama Center and yet he (and his mentors/seniors) doesn't know about cissus quadrangularis. All they know about is MSM/Glucosamine/Chondrotin Sulfate.

7 Years ago, Dr. P Venugopal (top cardiologist in India) successfully performed CABG to my father and to my surprise, he simply refused us to take any supplement (specifically whey protein isolate) post surgery. He wasn't convinced that it can be used effectively as far as preventive healthcare goes. It was only when I showed him some research papers, he said it's OK to consume couple of servings of this product. Amazing!

Similarly, most of docs don't know difference between Clenbuterol, Ephedrine, Synephrine and DNP and don't know a zit about today's fat burners. There are far more contradictions when it comes to their "wonder drugs" than Ephedrine/Caffeine/Aspirin stack (One of the most controversial stacks of all time).

Sure they do recommend NSAID's over these supplements because they feel like their stuff is safer. Many of the NSAID's they recommend are obsolete in Europe/US.

In short, supplement science is WAY BEYOND most of the people. By incorporating useful supplements, any one can take his/her health to a whole new level which is not possible with daily food intake.

Most Docs/surgeons in India are very poorly equipped with preventive healthcare system and most recent research about dietary supplements is simply beyond them and not their cup of tea. Hopefully new breed of Docs/Medical students come to know more about it. But I can't see it happening anytime soon.

Most fat burners in the market today are nothing but a combination of propriatary standardized herbal extracts, which are perfectly safe if used by a healthy individual. Same extracts which are mentioned in our ancient ayurvedic system/Ancient Chinese medicine.

Not to be confused with dangerous drugs!!!

Professional bodybuilders are not healthy as they take massive doses of anabolic steroids, Hgh, Insulin, Masking agents etc. Understandable as they gotta compete at IFBB level.
Rampant use of anabolic steroids by WWE superstars surely lures youngsters to go for them which is not good.

Due to these factors, various bodybuilding supplements have been put to bad light and to compound the problems many "Half Brained Gym Coaches/Nutritionists" don't have it what it takes to clear the air. Remaining Bro Scientists make it completely worse. That's how this game goes.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 3rd May 2009 at 11:50.
Old 3rd May 2009, 02:40   #1335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
No disrespect to anyone but most of the "Docs" I have met don't know a $hit about supplements.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Do not give medical advice unless you are sure.
Do try and understand the difference between an opinion and medical advice. Nobody has consulted him for medical advice; he has simply posted his opinion, which you should respect.

You've been pulling levers about protein since the dawn of time. I've yet to come across a single post by you that is either positive or informative regarding either nutrition or working out. All that you're doing is bashing people's opinions without having a clue as to their knowledge or experience. Are you a doctor? a nutritionist? a supplementation expert? If not, your "advice" is no better or worse than anybody else's!

Gout is more common in males, people with family members suffering from gout or due to high consumption of alcohol. Gout is caused by the build-up of uric acid (urate) in the bloodstream. Urate is a normally harmless waste product, produced by the body when it breaks down substances known as purines.

Purines are found in very high concentration in organ meats, but are also present in moderate to high concentration in veggies like spinach, cauliflower, and in beans. In fact, a lot of the world's healthiest foods contain purines!

A low purine diet is advised if you suffer from gout and it is indeed advisable to follow it.

I don't see anyone prescribing medicines here or doling out medical advice; doctors don't know manure about bodybuilding or supplements anyway. They're taught to heal sick people and to not make people bigger, stronger and faster!

From what I see so far, only pertinent questions have been answered, very honestly and to the best of the answering party's abilities. Nobody is holding a gun to anyone's head here. To exercise or not, to take supplements or not and which ones to take remains and will always remain a personal choice.

Last edited by vikram18 : 3rd May 2009 at 02:56.

Most Viewed