Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2013, 12:01   #1
Team-BHP Support

Working hard can kill you

Remember the quote
Quote:
It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
Well now we have a candidate.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-8775917.html

Working too hard can actually kill you. So all the workaholics... be careful!
Old 21st August 2013, 12:30   #2
BHPian

Re: Working hard can kill you

This is fairly common in Investment Banks in London. I used to be with ML in St Paul before BofA took them over - and while I was there, we had one person collapse from exhaustion. They hushed the whole thing up and paid a lot of money to the kid to keep him happy and in recovery.

It is not just the working hours that does this to them though. They indulge in late night parties and lots of drug cocktails to keep them going through the long work hours and parties. I know first hand.
Old 21st August 2013, 12:41   #3
BHPian

Who cares ? Is there any way an institution can be blamed for this ? Is there a way someone can proove in the court of law that the person succumbed to a torturous career?

As long as there is no accountability, no one cares.
Old 21st August 2013, 17:00   #4
BHPian

Only a day back we had the same discussion in our office . This is getting common across many private sectors now. I am in IT and when i was there in Taiwan in 2012 i heard of one employee dying in office . That was a semiconductor manufacturing company. My colleagues there told me that this is getting common now and another employee of a well known Mobile Phone manufacturing company died in office due to long working hours.
Old 21st August 2013, 19:36   #5
BHPian

A bit OT. Not only working hard. Even playing console games for too long can make you drop dead. Japan, China and also Korea have several such cases.
Old 22nd August 2013, 11:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Working may kill so would "Hardly Working" But its sad to see that he was just an intern. But may be as manasm mentioned, it has to involve habits as well. Long hours, parties, no or less sleep. After all our bodies are machines, someday they conk out.
Old 22nd August 2013, 13:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

Similar working hours exist in Indian IT companies. I personally have experienced something similar in my early days as an employee.
Old 22nd August 2013, 14:19   #8
BHPian

@Blackasta
Same here, i had a 14 hour shift on one day and as long as that doesn't continue, i think it will not do much harm. I think the optimal working hours should be 6 hours at max excluding breaks.

I think that working hours need to regularized for all companies by regularize i mean to make it even on a similar scale with a fixed number of hours an employee must put in. I think that will make things better.
Old 22nd August 2013, 14:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Just google/wiki on Karoshi.
Old 22nd August 2013, 22:13   #10
BHPian

Hmm.. If this were true, no intern or resident doctor in a government medical college in India would complete their terms alive.
Old 23rd August 2013, 01:55   #11

I am also from IT, and this happened in our team one year ago. We were in long discussions, but never knew our mate was living his final hours. The shocking news came on morning, just 5-6 hours after our last meeting.
Old 23rd August 2013, 10:09   #12
Team-BHP Support

Working hard has never killed anybody. But not getting enough sleep has.
Old 23rd August 2013, 11:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Working hard has never killed anybody. But not getting enough sleep has.
Mostly true, but do consider that in many organizations the working hours, extend up to a point that they infringe upon ones' sleep hours!

When I was previously working for a company that used to do most of it's business with US customers, I have been expected numerous times to join meetings with customers at say 3 a.m. IST, and that when the regular working hours were 9 to 6. I know I am not alone there!
Old 23rd August 2013, 11:30   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
Hmm.. If this were true, no intern or resident doctor in a government medical college in India would complete their terms alive.
I wonder how many patients died because the 48 hour shift doctor was not alert enough... Your your premise is false. Just like an overworked bus driver can kill others, so can an overworked doctor.
NHS in UK even put forward some guidelines to this effect when it found severe lapses in treatment due to overwork.
Old 23rd August 2013, 11:43   #15
BHPian

My opinion is after 6 hours of productive work, any additional hours of work how much ever you put will be non productive. Especially if we work in early mornings become really productive.
One of my female colleague fainted and was taken to hospital and her bp was too low. That week she had a tight deadline to complete. It was all related.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks