Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2013, 15:33   #16
BHPian

Re: Wardrobe Rejig: Importing Clothes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The famous P N Rao are also very capable tailors as were Zenart in Madras and Syed Bawkher etc. However, since the 1990's the latter two went off and priced themselves really very high indeed. Quite out of reach, I may say.
Gosh, down memory lane! In my younger days, when readymades were not available as they are now, my brothers and I used to go only to Zenart and Syed Bawker. Zenart never failed us, always did a fabulous job. Syed Bawker gradually slid downhill quality wise, and simultaneously developed an extremely snooty attitude, nose up in the air all the time, and we stopped going to them.

Anyway, thanks guys, I think I'll risk buying a few from the places mentioned and see how it goes.

Shoes I have to try on, I have a frighteningly large instep and even in my correct size, my feet won't go into 90% of shoes.
Old 13th October 2013, 16:24   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Ahh! A man after my own heart...
Thank you for the detailed reply!

I needed shirts with the following configuration: 16" collar, 40" chest, 35" sleeve, and French cuffs, and discovered that these could just not be bought from mass-market shops in India. Found some good specimens in the Zegna store in Bangalore, but they were way beyond my budget. (I'm still very much a student).
Regular shirt makers here don't offer many options with French cuffs. And the ones with 16" collars fit me poorly in the chest and shoulders. Also, like you've mentioned Van Huesen, Louis Philippe etc skimp in the shirt length, so they pop out too often when tucked in.

I have narrowed down some good shirts (ultra slim fit) on the Tyrwhitt and T M Lewin sites. Hopefully these'll fit well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
use this link to get free shipping http://www.ctshirts.com/Default.aspx?q=fa78|||||||||||||||
Thank you so much for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
How do you guys buy clothes (and shoes) without trying them on? ... I'd be terrified to buy clothes and shoes online.
Nothing beats buying clothes after trying them on. But most good shirt/ suit makers provide detailed actual measurements for their products, so it is quite possible to imagine yourself in these. :P I'm warier of buying shoes online though. It's a lot more difficult to picture my foot in the particular shoe even if they provide the length and width.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I have been exclusively buying all my pants from US online stores (amazon.com), for a decade now. Until couple years back, my colleague from US used to carry it to India for me. But now I get it delivered via international shipping.
Have there been any issues with customs. Have you had to pay extra duty, or worse have shipments been held up?
Old 13th October 2013, 16:47   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
Have there been any issues with customs. Have you had to pay extra duty, or worse have shipments been held up?
Amazon.com collects import fee upfront and clears the customs very fast. So, I never had a package stuck at customs.
Old 13th October 2013, 17:27   #19
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
Thank you for the detailed reply! I needed shirts with the following configuration: 16" collar, 40" chest, 35" sleeve, and French cuffs, and discovered that these could just not be bought from mass-market shops in India. Regular shirt makers here don't offer many options with French cuffs. And the ones with 16" collars fit me poorly in the chest and shoulders. Also, like you've mentioned Van Huesen, Louis Philippe etc skimp in the shirt length, so they pop out too often when tucked in. I have narrowed down some good shirts (ultra slim fit) on the Tyrwhitt and T M Lewin sites. Hopefully these'll fit. But most good shirt/ suit makers provide detailed actual measurements for their products, so it is quite possible to imagine yourself in these.

Try the website of Thin Red Line....I believe you will get what you need in terms of measurements there. And yes, the Fold over cuffs options are very much there so you can flash your elegant cufflinks too, while wearing these nice bespoke shirts. These are made and shipped in India under license so there are no duties to pay, shipping is quick and prices are fair at about Rs 3000/- a shirt. I ve got one shirt from them in classic pin-point oxford in powder blue and absolutely enjoy wearing it.
Old 13th October 2013, 19:30   #20
BHPian

Well just to add that I had got a shirt stitched from Paresh Lamba at MG Road, Bangalore and the fit was amazing. I would strongly recommend him over the more prominent PN Rao. He even gave a fitting session before delivering the final product which is unheard of in normal tailoring in India.
Old 13th October 2013, 19:37   #21
BANNED

Quote:
He even gave a fitting session before delivering the final product which is unheard of in normal tailoring in India.

In bespoke custom tailoring, especially for suits, a minimum of two or three fitting sessions is absolutely de-rigeur. It is nice to know this diligence has been carried through for shirts too in this case.

Last edited by GTO : 14th October 2013 at 14:02. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 13th October 2013, 20:12   #22
BHPian

Quote:
)He even gave a fitting session before delivering the final product which is unheard of in normal tailoring in India.
In bespoke custom tailoring, especially for suits, a minimum of two or three fitting sessions is absolutely de-rigeur. It is nice to know this diligence has been carried through for shirts too in this case.[/quote]

Yes Balan, that's what I meant. Even I was impressed by this diligence in a shirt tailoring.
Old 13th October 2013, 22:08   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Try the website of Thin Red Line....I believe you will get what you need in terms of measurements there..
Tried the Thin Red Line site and liked this white herringbone shirt.
http://www.thinredline.co.in/product...shirt/ISF-HDWH
Seems a good buy at Rs.2500; this is what we pay for Van Heusen shirts that cost ~20$ in US department stores. Only grouse is that it has cut-away collars, which means I'll need to perfect my Full Windsor.
Their India site unfortunately doesn't offer much choice, though..

I'll probably order this shirt from Thin Red Line and also test the waters by ordering a shirt or two from Charles Tyrwhitt.
Old 13th October 2013, 22:17   #24
BHPian

Hi guys, what about your Friday' dressing or should I say "your tees"
How you often buy your t shirts/ any preference like polos/rib neck etc. I'm a heavy built n with a xxl size; it's very hard for me to find a real fit tee either in polo or in rib(round) neck. Normally I don't buy online coz of the above 'fit' issue.
Any comments are most welcome:
Old 14th October 2013, 07:54   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunu AMG View Post
Hi guys, what about your Friday' dressing or should I say "your tees" How you often buy your t shirts/ any preference like polos/rib neck etc. I'm a heavy built n with a xxl size; it's very hard for me to find a real fit tee either in polo or in rib(round) neck. Normally I don't buy online coz of the above 'fit' issue. Any comments are most welcome:

I am in the same boat. For relatively inexpensive, yet good quality and well fitting t shirts, pop over to Lifestyle and buy Fahrenheit brand, 3XL size. Around Rs. 650-700/- per T Shirt. They fit me well enough to tuck nicely into my trousers and play golf in them.

The other options are:
Buy the typical US XL Golf T Shirts from the export over run stores or factory outlets - most of these are made in Tirupur so you should not have a problem sourcing them. Brands like Gant, Cutter &Buck, Ralph Lauren Chaps, Greg Norman etc are quite easily available - if you cant get them nearby, invest in a trip to Bangalore and buy them at Hum India, Church Street or Indira Nagar.

Another option is Lacoste Size 7 or 8. 8 is really very large indeed! You can get them at the factory outlet in Marathahalli, Bangalore but they cost Rs 1200 or so even on deep discount.

If you travel outside India or know someone who does, you can consider GAP or Banana Republic Regular fit in XXL. Pricey, yes, but wonderful quality.
Old 15th October 2013, 00:12   #26
BHPian

I usually pick Brooks Brothers for my dress wear. Big fan of the non-iron, makes it easy while traveling and helps me continue my laziness of not wasting time with the iron box
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 21:38   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I am in the same boat. For relatively inexpensive, yet good quality and well fitting t shirts, pop over to Lifestyle and buy Fahrenheit brand, 3XL size. Around Rs. 650-700/- per T Shirt. They fit me well enough to tuck nicely into my trousers and play golf in them. The other options are: Buy the typical US XL Golf T Shirts from the export over run stores or factory outlets - most of these are made in Tirupur so you should not have a problem sourcing them. Brands like Gant, Cutter &Buck, Ralph Lauren Chaps, Greg Norman etc are quite easily available - if you cant get them nearby, invest in a trip to Bangalore and buy them at Hum India, Church Street or Indira Nagar. Another option is Lacoste Size 7 or 8. 8 is really very large indeed! You can get them at the factory outlet in Marathahalli, Bangalore but they cost Rs 1200 or so even on deep discount. If you travel outside India or know someone who does, you can consider GAP or Banana Republic Regular fit in XXL. Pricey, yes, but wonderful quality.
Thanks a lot for your inputs Shankar. I used to take "ALL" brand from pantaloons n for shirts I used to buy xxl of colour plus but off late some of their xxl gives a bulge on my tummy so shifted to splash stores n it really fits well. I am having those export surplus tees too but if I put xxl then it's a bit tight in my belly n if I wear xxxl then armhole n length is too much so rarely finds few. "Lacoste" is a good find n thanks for that coz I thought they don't keep XXL sizes.
Old 15th October 2013, 22:31   #28
BHPian

I had a good experience with this online store - The Stiff Collar.
http://www.thestiffcollar.com/index....it/paunch.html
Old 15th October 2013, 22:33   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
I had a good experience with this online store - The Stiff Collar. http://www.thestiffcollar.com/index....it/paunch.html

Try Tailorman too. They are very good I do believe.
Old 16th October 2013, 01:34   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Any review on Thomas Pink?

While at it what are some good shoe brands that you recommend?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks